BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window - January 2016

Blimey, some people were advocating Grant Holt at 34 or whatever he is so 29 is far from old K-Hod. It would just be his injury record that concerns me.

On the LB front I'd prefer we bring in somebody who has a bit of pace about them too - modern day full backs need this in their artillery.

For me pace is the number one requirement at full back. There's not many good, slow fullbacks.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me pace is the number one requirement at full back. There's not many good, slow fullbacks.

Salgado didn't do too badly for us and he wasn't exactly Usain Bolt when he came here.

I think if you've someone who can read the game well and anticipate things (ala Salgado) this can more than compensate for a lack of pace.

I'm not saying Mulgrew is that person as I don't know enough about his game, just making the general point really.

I know that Gavlar, I was merely meaning in conjunction with his injury record!

I don't think anyone was advocating Grant Holt, were they? Unless people were making the Norwich link.....

I haven't got time to go digging but there were definitely some who said he'd be alright as a short-term measure. Thankfully we avoided that one.

Agreed on the injury record front; we've been burnt there enough in the past.

Decent squad player can cover across a whole load of positions and has really good set piece quality's I'd say he would be a decent signing.

A 29 year old might be a bit old to go and blow your entire budget on but on a free transfer at a decent wage and it's not a problem

Do we have a summary of what we are looking for in the window? I know we must be looking at LM, LB and/or a midfield leader based on our apparent interest (Fox, Jones, McGeady et al.. ).

By summary referring to those we have shown an interest in rather than opinions of what/who we should be looking at.

Salgado didn't do too badly for us and he wasn't exactly Usain Bolt when he came here.

I think if you've someone who can read the game well and anticipate things (ala Salgado) this can more than compensate for a lack of pace.

I'm not saying Mulgrew is that person as I don't know enough about his game, just making the general point really.

He did ok but when he got targeted it was his lack of pace that told against him. Experience and ability to read the game only takes you so far out on the flanks.

Slow fullbacks are OK if you play with protection on the same side. Didn't Salgado have Emerton in front of him who could cover him being caught out of position. I could be wrong with that.

If Lambert is going to play narrow then this could lead to the Full backs being exposed.

That's because Salgado was one of the finest fullbacks in the world before he lost his pace. He was an aberration and we don't shop in that market anymore.

Slow fullbacks are OK if you play with protection on the same side. Didn't Salgado have Emerton in front of him who could cover him being caught out of position. I could be wrong with that.

If Lambert is going to play narrow then this could lead to the Full backs being exposed.

It's just as much to do with the attacking now though. Full backs nowadays also have to the job wingers did in the 90s - hug the touchline and get crosses in.

It's just as much to do with the attacking now though. Full backs nowadays also have to the job wingers did in the 90s - hug the touchline and get crosses in.

It was the same in the 90s. Le Saux looked good because he and Wilcox worked well together. When Le Saux went forward, Wilcox dropped deep to cover.

A slow full back going forward will need someone of that ilk to cover but in the formation on Saturday there was little help for the fullbacks. Your defensive midfielders are also to offer some cover but it appeared that on Saturday Akpan did not do that particularly well.

Word of warning on Mulgrew. He's played 13 games in 2 seasons. At 30, can anyone afford to play so little. He must either be injury prone or rubbish, cos if he can't get in the current Shelec side he must be rubbish. Certainly not a good option for a loan as he won't be match fit and I doubt he'd be a good option for the summer either.

It is strange that people like Lee Hughes can come back into football yet Evans (and Johnson) now will be completely ostracised. Of course Hughes exactly didn't intend to kill someone but society seems to think rape is worse than murder. Though I'm certainly no Christian people aren't generally beyond redemption. There's exceptions to that of course (Steve Kean for instance ^_^ ) but imagine the reaction now if Leslie Grantham had joined EastEnders. It was controversial enough back then it wouldn't get past the PC Police now.

Of course Johnson has pleaded guilty (an indication of evidence stacked against him even if if its an attempt at a plea bargain) while presumably Evans still claims he's innocent? I can't imagine it even being considered in the future Rovers have had enough bad PR in recent years as it is!

Adam Johnson will be a good addition to the Lags XI (captain S Garner)

Everyone should read that Garner interview on here just for Jim's questions! Hilarious!

Archived