BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window - January 2016

I think our team is a lot stronger than it was pre-transfer window.ok Rhodes has gone but now we can play in a way were all eleven players on the pitch will be involved not just ten.We also have some creativity in the middle of the park and more speed going forward which will create chances for more players to score goals.So yes we've lost a great finnisher but the team IMO will benifit and should Finnish the season mid table easely ,when all said and done were not the only team without Rhodes in it and most of them are doing ok .

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bloody hell, that ethos didn't seem to apply when Rhodes was here, the pitch forks were out for him every time he went a couple of games without scoring.

The problem with Rhodes wasn't just when he didn't score Rev. He still affects performances even when he does score. His goals didn't correlate with points. Team performances generally correlate with points.

What guarantee was there that we would get £9+ for Rhodes in the summer. Boro have been the only serious bidders and I doubt they would have come in for him again if they got promoted. Rhodes has been bought to get them up. They won't need him in the premier league.

Lambert thankfully wants to move away from the slow predictable football that we've been playing for a few years now. He needs money to rebuild - and as you say the offer is there now and it might not be there ever again. The timing isn't ideal, but he had little choice. And although Rhodes fans tell us he's our star player, or best player, our own eyes should tell all of us, that for quite some time his performances have probably been the worst of anyone in the team.

With several new players in I'm not expecting too much until they have time to gel as a unit. We must be patient.

Add Gomez to the performance against Oxford and 'given time to gel', it will be like watching Brazil :D

There could be a song in there somewhere

Overall very good window in my eyes.

People will see the Rhodes sell as a risk but I am one to believe that I would rather have a balanced team and squad, than a 1 man team.

This window we saw the departure of some much needed deadwood in the likes of:

Petchi, Koita, O'Sullivan

and made a good profit from

Rhodes, and Olsson.

Raising the total potential figure that we got this window to around. 14M (If we count the Boro add ons).

With that we finally have a creative midfielder in Jordi Gomez, a great striker in Tony Watt (Very highly rated by my Charlton mate, but he can be moody apparently), Jackson who is slowly proving to be handful, Graham who should do the job at this level, and Bennett who is yet to be determined what his future impact is. Ward looks like a great signing too, and I am lead to believe he is on smaller wages than Killa

The most important is when I look at the starting line up I feel more at ease as I believe it is still a very solid mid table team.

--------Steele----------------

Marshall--Hanley--Ward---Spurr

-----Evans/Akpan--Gomez----

Bennett------------------Conway

---------Graham--Watt

We still however need to get rid of:

Taylor, Williamson, Guthrie, Brown, Delfouneso Killa, and Eastwood come the summer to free up some wages and bring in some improved quality players.

Marshall

And although Rhodes fans tell us he's our star player, or best player, our own eyes should tell all of us, that for quite some time his performances have probably been the worst of anyone in the team.

A lot of posters seem to be missing the very important point that his fellow professional footballers, i.e. his team mates, will also be able to clearly see this with their own eyes - which would be detrimental enough if he was on a comparable salary to them - but he wasn't, which compounded the problem. So if PL is all about the team ethic (and I agree with him) then he had absolutely no choice but to sell Rhodes, for the greater good.

I posted prior to the Oxford game that we might see a renewed energy from the side once Rhodes had left the team hotel on Friday, and that proved to be the case. I'm looking forward to the new era with some optimism.

A lot of posters seem to be missing the very important point that his fellow professional footballers, i.e. his team mates, will also be able to clearly see this with their own eyes - which would be detrimental enough if he was on a comparable salary to them - but he wasn't, which compounded the problem. So if PL is all about the team ethic (and I agree with him) then he had absolutely no choice but to sell Rhodes, for the greater good.

I posted prior to the Oxford game that we might see a renewed energy from the side once Rhodes had left the team hotel on Friday, and that proved to be the case. I'm looking forward to the new era with some optimism.

Much as I loved (on form) Rhodes, the difference in performance was evident. Actions speak louder than words as they say.

Much as I loved (on form) Rhodes, the difference in performance was evident. Actions speak louder than words as they say.

Agreed. We looked dynamic and quick.

I was really impressed with Jackson - he played like he had something to prove. Hopefully it's not a one off, but I can certainly get behind the current crop of attacking players we have now.

Bloody hell, that ethos didn't seem to apply when Rhodes was here, the pitch forks were out for him every time he went a couple of games without scoring.

Three goals in seventeen games is not really "went a couple of games without scoring".. plus his contribution was none existent in those matches, don't think his head was at Rovers during this period and was not helped by not having any form of creative midfielder or strike partner who could set them up for him.

I agree 100% Glen...seems even more odd when you don't spend the money. Surely you just keep him until the summer?

Anyway, I trust PL. He'll have my backing!!

Ward, Gomez and Watt potentially excellent signings.

Graham very solid Championship signing.

Was a bit worried we might of overspent at the point we brought Watt in, think that deal was done assuming that Rhodes had been sold, and I doubt we could have paid the loan fee for Gomez without shifting Rhodes.

We have enough to survive and possibly do well if they gel quickly, so very happy with the signings.

As for not spending now, not really much we could do when the Rhodes deal ended up delayed and nothing we could do about the timing from Gibson.. In the end it could be a good thing, we go into the summer with some cash, survive the last evil FFP season, we ended up being allowed to try some good players (hopefully Gomez will also have a permanent move clause) and should the owners decide the new FFP rules will mean we can spend that little bit more.

Agreed. We looked dynamic and quick.

I was really impressed with Jackson - he played like he had something to prove. Hopefully it's not a one off, but I can certainly get behind the current crop of attacking players we have now.

My Ipswich mate who knows a lot about the Championship rates him. Although presumably that's based on a few years ago now.

My Ipswich mate who knows a lot about the Championship rates him. Although presumably that's based on a few years ago now.

I see him as an impact player who we can bring on if the other two up front aren't playing well or need subbing. He's a willing runner who will make things happen for other players.

One aspect of the recent transfer dealings is that our bench is stronger in my opinion.

A fair appreciation of our transfer window would be that whilst we have lost goals from one person, we should have obtained goals from open play and varying positions in the team. The team should be set out more as a combined work ethic and one that should be more appealing. What is good is that when under pressure there are players that can take a ball and run with it. There are also work horses who will do the donkey work necessary for any successful side.

Think a point away on Saturday will be a very good result and one I don't think we will get. We should hopefully see a big change in attitude though.

What I'm looking for on Saturday is a coherent way of getting the ball from our end to their end and keeping it there. I'm looking for us to compete for the ball more, to run more, win more tackles, chase down more lost causes, win more second balls, win more contested headers, be more of a real threat from set pieces, mark up more tightly etc. In a word - Improvement.

Do that between now and the end of the season and we'll be fine.

I'm not having last week was only Oxford. That was a bloody good win against all the odds. The team that lost to a similar Oxford side in 1964 contained SIX players of my all time Rovers best eleven. Keith Newton, Mike England, Ronnie Clayton, Bryan Douglas, Fred Pickering, Mike Ferguson. All giants of this club and all humbled in similar circumstances.

Anybody care to compile a list of all the lower league teams we've lost to in what was the old League Cup recently ? I haven't got the time.

IHowever, we haven't signed anybody in Jan that we wouldn't have signed if Rhodes had stayed, so there is no competitive advantage for us to sell him at this stage.

Jordi Gomez wouldn't be here. That's why we had him sitting around waiting to see if the Rhodes transfer went through. As soon as it did, we had the funds to sign him.

I'm almost certain that the Tony Watt deal was done knowing that Middlesbrough had come in for Rhodes as well. By all accounts, we nabbed him because we paid more, which is strange in our situation. On top of that, the Rhodes transfer started almost the minute it was concluded. It would also explain our desperation to get the deal done in this window.

My guess is Boro came in for Rhodes a few days before the story broke and we asked them to hold on whilst we found a replacement. As soon as Watt signed, it was full steam ahead. The time from first bid to him agreeing terms (first attempt!) was so fast by today's standards, there had to have been discussions prior to when it became public.

Jordi Gomez wouldn't be here. That's why we had him sitting around waiting to see if the Rhodes transfer went through. As soon as it did, we had the funds to sign him.

I'm almost certain that the Tony Watt deal was done knowing that Middlesbrough had come in for Rhodes as well. By all accounts, we nabbed him because we paid more, which is strange in our situation. On top of that, the Rhodes transfer started almost the minute it was concluded. It would also explain our desperation to get the deal done in this window.

My guess is Boro came in for Rhodes a few days before the story broke and we asked them to hold on whilst we found a replacement. As soon as Watt signed, it was full steam ahead. The time from first bid to him agreeing terms (first attempt!) was so fast by today's standards, there had to have been discussions prior to when it became public.

Shame we couldn't have chucked McGeady a few extra quid then like Sheff Weds did?

Shame we couldn't have chucked McGeady a few extra quid then like Sheff Weds did?

Wasn't the story that we had two players waiting for the Rhodes deal to go through? Everton said they had agreed a loan deal with a few Championship clubs as well.

If he was the other one, it's understandable that he signed for Sheff Wed. If he waited on us and the Rhodes deal went tits up, he'd be screwed. His priority was probably just getting first team football somewhere with the Euros coming up, it would've been a big risk.

Would have loved McGeady here too though.

So selling a striker for £11mill was what allowed us to bring in two loans? Not shifting on Koita and Petshi? Worried the money won't be reinvested. Loan market needed to strengthen left back asap as Spurr is pants. So are most of our midfield actually... I'm not as delighted as most at Rhodes going. I don't buy into this summer rebuild. We need to spend £10mill plus in summer if we want any chance of even competing for play-offs. That isn't going to happen. Expecting a couple mill spent and we'll have to be content with competing with the likes of Charlton. No chance we'll be fighting for promotion any year soon.

So selling a striker for £11mill was what allowed us to bring in two loans? Not shifting on Koita and Petshi?

Koita and Petshi would have been on peanuts. They probably wouldn't even cover Jackson and Bennett, let alone Premier League loans.

Wasn't the story that we had two players waiting for the Rhodes deal to go through? Everton said they had agreed a loan deal with a few Championship clubs as well.

If he was the other one, it's understandable that he signed for Sheff Wed. If he waited on us and the Rhodes deal went tits up, he'd be screwed. His priority was probably just getting first team football somewhere with the Euros coming up, it would've been a big risk.

Would have loved McGeady here too though.

I read we both agreed to his wage demands but they chucked some extra bonuses on top that swung it in their favour. Had we not had the Rhodes delay, possibly we could have committed to matching that too.

Shame, like you say.

Koita and Petshi would have been on peanuts. They probably wouldn't even cover Jackson and Bennett, let alone Premier League loans.

Koita already confirmed as being on 500k a year.

That's about £9,500 a week isn't it?

Pretty insignificant when you consider we had already signed Bennett, Jackson and Ward. These loan targets will be on £30-£40k.

I would think that 500,000 saved goes a fair bit to keeping us in compliance with FFP

That's about £9,500 a week isn't it?

Pretty insignificant when you consider we had already signed Bennett, Jackson and Ward. These loan targets will be on £30-£40k.

Slightly closer to 10k but yes.

Bennett was on 10k a week at Norwich.

Ward was on 8k a week at Bournemouth

Jackson will be on nothing - 3k maybe.

Archived