BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Your Children - To Indoctrinate Or Not?

D-side17

I posted on this subject in the Leicester City thread but decided that I would create a separate thread as I am genuinely interested to hear everyone’s views and experiences.

I’ve had a season ticket at Rovers since the 1985/86 season when I was 7 years old. In 1996, I moved to Leicester to go to university and I’ve lived in Leicester ever since. Nevertheless, I have still continued to watch Rovers at home, away and in Europe. My dad has been going to watch Rovers since 1950. My granddad was also a Rovers fan before him. I’ve always imagined/hoped that if I ever had a child, they would continue the family tradition and go with me to watch Rovers as soon as they were old enough to do so, just as I used to (and still do) go with my dad.

I now have a son who is nearly two and in a few years, he’s probably going to want to start going to watch football, however I worry that he might want to support someone else other than Rovers. Living over 100 miles away from Ewood was never going to help, however my concern was always that my child might want to support Man United or Liverpool etc. because his mates did. However, it now feels that a perfect storm is developing which might persuade him to be a Leicester fan - Rovers dropping into the Championship and becoming a team likely to be fighting relegation to League One each season whilst Leicester City are challenging for the Premier League title, will probably be competing in the Champions League next season and will be firmly established as a top-flight club. When he is old enough to go to school, lots of his mates are now going to be Leicester fans and, by contrast with those that support Man United and Liverpool, they will probably actually go to watch their team every other week.

I have already begun the indoctrination process with my son - I’ve bought him Rovers baby-grows and replica kits ever since he was born. But lots of people tell me that he should “support his local team" and that I am being unfair on him by forcing him to support Rovers when Leicester are “on the up". To be honest, the people who say these things tend not to be ardent Leicester fans. They are usually the ones who have suddenly started taking an interest in Leicester this season.

So what are people’s views? Should I try my best to persuade my lad to continue the family tradition and become a Rovers fan? Or would that be unfair and should I instead just allow him to make up his own mind and not try to influence him at all?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

Whenever I have children they're being Rovers fans and that's it. End of discussion! Though, my Dad isn't a Rovers fan, he's PNE, as is my Uncle. My best mate growing up was Rovers, I went to games with him and his family, then have carried on ever since.

I remember my Dad saying 'Follow PNE if you want a life of misery'. He was being a bit melodramatic I suppose, but he never really pushed PNE on me at all (he was never much of a match going fan anyway). I don't think I'll be anywhere near as reasonable as that!

Of course you should!

If you have a passion for your club and an actual family story behind it (not 'me Dad once passed through Manchester Piccadily station in 1968 and saw Georgie Best on the platform') then why not?

I've met loads of Rovers fans from throughout the country, all with an interesting story from why they are a Blue, as I've met locals who support other clubs.

What gets in my craw is the plastic Liverpool and Man Yoo brigade with no family connection, apart from their own Dad also being a glory hunter, so I suppose they are carrying on their family tradition.

My Mum's side of the family are all Rovers fans, we lived in Rawtenstall and then Clitheroe before moving to Lancaster when I was around 6. My grandpa and his brothers and their sons all had season tickets and I started going on the 'newly developed Riverside' when I was about 6 I think. My father (a Burnley fan) wasn't around when I was a child and many of my happiest memories are going to Ewood with my Grandpa who I was inseparable from as a child. As I grew up having a shared passion with someone I loved so much was one of the greatest gifts ever. In time and as my grandpa got older I would take him to games and when he became unable to attend I'd bring him programmes, etc back. Looking back the football was a distraction in a lot of ways, the journeys to and from Ewood with my Grandpa, all the chats we had are what ultimately formed me as a man and I suppose is why I am so sentimental about the Rovers at times.

I have a 10 month old son and my dream is to take him to Ewood and be able to share in the happiness that me and my Grandpa did. I will never force him into anything but if there is one thing I could have it would be to be able to take him to Ewood every other weekend. Anyway Soppyness over. In short, I'm all for indoctrination!

I feel like I've made a good start on him already, I often wear Rovers training kit around the house and he is always reaching for the badge and sees my jubilant reaction when he does and beams back at me. I'm convinced that this form of positive reinforcement of the badge with be subliminally working on him already ha ha!

My twins are getting to the age that they are asking questions about sport and asking when they can go. I'll probably try them later this year when it's warmer. The thing is, I started telling my two who they supported from the earliest days, no options.

My advice to any young parents is take your kids to Ewood as soon as possible (not older than 3), deck them out in blue and white, let them see you cheering the team and they'll be hooked for life.

They'll come under pressure from "big club" supporters at school and from friends but if they've got any backbone they will remain true.

Mine said supporting Rovers all their life is one of the most character forming things they did.

Oh, and when they waver and say they're switching to ManU or whoever, lock them in the garden shed and tell them they can't come out until they've changed their mind.

Worked with mine.

He's two. He won't have a clue about Leicester's one great season 'back in 2015/16' and their Champion's League campaign when he was 3.

Football is a fickle beast - just look at Pompey - FA Cup winners leverage buyers and now in the doldrums.

Fortunately, sons almost always follow their dad's team. There are plenty of examples of you ask about.

Blood is thicker than success.

You are doing the right thing he is born a Rovers fans. I like you don't live near to Blackburn and my Son was not even born in the UK however we are a Blackburn Family, my Dad is a rover so was his Dad and as far back as we can go. So my Son had no choice in the matter. I started with a few baby items then a poster or two for his bedroom then of course the kit. He is 6 now and is a Blackburn Fan for life, we need as many as we can get.

Like most kids they look up to Messi and at the moment Vardy and that's fine, however always tell them you can only have one club in England and that's Rovers.

He's two. He won't have a club about Leicester's one great season 'back in 2015/16' and their Champion's League campaign when he was 3.

Football is a fickle beast - just look at Pompey - FA Cup winners leverage buyers and now in the doldrums.

Fortunately, sons almost always follow their dad's team. There are plenty of examples of you ask about.

Blood is thicker than success.

I hope you're wrong Stuart about sons following their dad's and grandads. My soon to be born grandchild will have a dad and grandad who are burnley supporters and there have been burnley supporters in their family going back generations. His/her mum and maternal grandad however are Rovers fans but there's no family history of it. The parents have agreed that they won't push either team, although there are more of us than of his/her dad's family as his/her dad's an only child whereas mum has 2 brothers and a sister who are all rovers fans. They're thinking of taking him/her to altrincham where they live. I knew no good would come of her marrying a burnley fan, but it is a very real dilemma. Would I rather he/she was a man u or city fan than a burnley fan as he/she will be born in Wythenshawe? I really don't know the answer and nor do they but they've agreed no kits, baby grows, bibs or anything else football club related

I hope you're wrong Stuart about sons following their dad's and grandads. My soon to be born grandchild will have a dad and grandad who are burnley supporters and there have been burnley supporters in their family going back generations. His/her mum and maternal grandad however are Rovers fans but there's no family history of it. The parents have agreed that they won't push either team, although there are more of us than of his/her dad's family as his/her dad's an only child whereas mum has 2 brothers and a sister who are all rovers fans. They're thinking of taking him/her to altrincham where they live. I knew no good would come of her marrying a burnley fan, but it is a very real dilemma. Would I rather he/she was a man u or city fan than a burnley fan as he/she will be born in Wythenshawe? I really don't know the answer and nor do they but they've agreed no kits, baby grows, bibs or anything else football club related

Hate to break it to you, gb...

It's your own fault for giving them your blessing in the first place. :P

Saying that, my Rovers supporting mate's step-son supports both teams and attends games at Ewood and the dark side so maybe there will be a return of the old breed of fan around these parts. Perhaps football really is going back in time?

I couldn't stop her, Stuart. She was over 18 and indeed over 21. As my dad said when asked why he didn't try to stop me marrying my husband when we were just 19, "she'd have done it anyway so it wasn't worth falling out over. Better to be there to pick up the pieces if it all goes wrong."

And after the problems they'd had getting that far i think they proved they were meant to be together. Best solution might be if it's a little girl with no interest in football whatsoever although I don't see that as likely.

Great thread.

Sadly my son doesn't show much interest in the game aged 6, despite me watching any football that's going as often as possible (except Europa League which I won't have in the house)

However the stakes are enormous for me. I'm Blackburn born and lived in the town until marriage and had father and grandfather before me watch the Rovers. So that's easy enough.

BUT I now live in the Pendle area which is overwhelmingly Dingle. I have indoctrinated the lad enough to resist playground pressure thus far and I've even taken our next door but one's 10 year old to a game (same school). Unfortunately my son's first game was Blackpool last season which didn't help much.

He was upset when Rhodes left, rather perceptively saying that it was unfair and that Rhodes just wanted to be on the side that's winning (as Bob Dylan also once said)!

As I said he's lukewarm about the game generally but if he does get into it and the Clarrots go up and stay up....noooooooo. His head may be turned. What can I do then?

Anyhow I'll be taking him to the Leeds game. Which probably means he'll support Leeds (who I did have a childhood weakness for in the early Revie 70s - well I was only 8 and impressionable but only ever went to Ewood, so I haven't ever been unfaithful really).

The other shame he will bear until the grave is that he was born in Burnley General hospital. I know I know but I'm not sure they had a maternity ward in Blackburn when he was born.

Can you change your place of birth by deed poll or statutory declaration?

Longstanding friends of mine know that I was born in Blackpool just after the war to 2 exiles who'd moved from Blackburn to live with relatives of my Dad's because he couldn't get work in Blackburn in the 1930s.

There was never any question about who I'd support so, when Blackpool were in the 1953 Cup Final, I was the only lad in my school in Blackpool who knew for a fact that Rovers [then halfway up the old Division 2] were better than Blackpool with Matthews, Mortensen etc. Well; my Dad told me so, and those friends on here who met him would confirm that he would never lie about something so important! :D

I've always been a Rover [the first game I remember watching from the old Riverside stand was in the 1953/54 season] and have mostly [despite the fallow period in the 1970s. Oh; and enduring the mirth of Dingles after Trelleborg!] been proud to be so.

My major regret is that I didn't inherit my old man's [literally!] blue and white eyes! ;)

I'd honestly say in this circumstance its up to you or your son. In my opinion Rovers is a perfectly valid choice being who his dad and a number of relatives support, and Leicester is perfectly valid being his local team.

I'm not sure exactly how you'd go about doing it but the only thing you must do is stop him gloryhunting the likes of ManUre! :)

• Backroom

Great thread.

Sadly my son doesn't show much interest in the game aged 6, despite me watching any football that's going as often as possible (except Europa League which I won't have in the house)

However the stakes are enormous for me. I'm Blackburn born and lived in the town until marriage and had father and grandfather before me watch the Rovers. So that's easy enough.

BUT I now live in the Pendle area which is overwhelmingly Dingle. I have indoctrinated the lad enough to resist playground pressure thus far and I've even taken our next door but one's 10 year old to a game (same school). Unfortunately my son's first game was Blackpool last season which didn't help much.

He was upset when Rhodes left, rather perceptively saying that it was unfair and that Rhodes just wanted to be on the side that's winning (as Bob Dylan also once said)!

As I said he's lukewarm about the game generally but if he does get into it and the Clarrots go up and stay up....noooooooo. His head may be turned. What can I do then?

Anyhow I'll be taking him to the Leeds game. Which probably means he'll support Leeds (who I did have a childhood weakness for in the early Revie 70s - well I was only 8 and impressionable but only ever went to Ewood, so I haven't ever been unfaithful really).

The other shame he will bear until the grave is that he was born in Burnley General hospital. I know I know but I'm not sure they had a maternity ward in Blackburn when he was born.

There's still time. I didn't like football until I was about 8. My dad took me to games ofc but I trudged along. Then I suddenly saw Dunn and Duff and I was hooked.

Maybe your lad will see some similar gems this time round under Lambert.

Great thread.

You may have to resort to scare tatics. If my son calls me Mum or he calls his Mum Dad by mistake there is always a chant of yer Mum's yer Dad in our house. Without going over the top of course he hates Burnley (He has never been of course :-)) already.

My son's goal in life is to wind me up. He's 7 and tells me how bad Rovers are whenever he can.

Rovers not being in the Premier League is massive. They are never on TV in the US (they are on Sunday though) so he has no idea who they are.

I won't force him to support Rovers. He may change his mind when he gets older.

Archived