BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Goalkeeper - Time For An Upgrade

Stuart

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What you mean like Jason Lowe? U21 is hardly what I'd call ex England. Besides, wouldn't we want an upgrade? Ff is a champ level keep at current - shouldn't we trying to find a better than what we have?

Err that's just your opinion pal based on nowt other than he's a local lad you probably didn't want to see go!

Surely we should be looking for someone proven at top level? Rather than a knee jerk reaction thread based on a bad result? Steele is the least of our worries IMO.

Marshall at Cardiff is probably one of the best outside the top flight and makes sense. Proven experienced keeper with some a season or two at the top level under his belt!

Equally though, unless he's free I'd prefer to see us spend the money on a new striker, more attacking central and wide midfield options and a set of fullbacks.

Least worrying ?

A goalie that dives late , doesn't command the area, bad positioning ... Aye not worrying at all .

Marshall at Cardiff is probably one of the best outside the top flight and makes sense. Proven experienced keeper with some a season or two at the top level under his belt!

Equally though, unless he's free I'd prefer to see us spend the money on a new striker, more attacking central and wide midfield options and a set of fullbacks.

New striker ?why we sold a good one , it's what the fans wanted . Brown on his own was predicted to be disaster and getting knocked out the cup proved this . The only chance of glory gone by crap forward , two crap midfielders and a crap goalie

Least worrying ?

A goalie that dives late , doesn't command the area, bad positioning ... Aye not worrying at all .

New striker ?why we sold a good one , it's what the fans wanted . Brown on his own was predicted to be disaster and getting knocked out the cup proved this . The only chance of glory gone by crap forward , two crap midfielders and a crap goalie

Add crap left back and a dodgy CB (Ward more so than Duffy)

Least worrying ?

The fans wanted?

Yes, we all wanted this scenario where fans have left in droves, the club is pot less, no leadership team and dwindling talent on the pitch.

Give me a break. Sunday was hard to take, but like a manager - one thing aka a second division keeper of local background is not going to change our fortunes - Steele, like many of the squad are an example of cost cutting and down sizing.

Of course we need a new striker after selling rhodes. Just because some people pointed out his deficiencies, doesn't mean all fans wanted us to resort to Chris Brown up front.

The fans wanted?

Yes, we all wanted this scenario where fans have left in droves, the club is pot less, no leadership team and dwindling talent on the pitch. ... I SAID THIS WHERE?

Give me a break. Sunday was hard to take, but like a manager - one thing aka a second division keeper of local background is not going to change our fortunes - Steele, like many of the squad are an example of cost cutting and down sizing... SO WE DONT CHANGE ?

Of course we need a new striker after selling rhodes. Just because some people pointed out his deficiencies, doesn't mean all fans wanted us to resort to Chris Brown up front.

it was pointed out!on many occasions we would be be with bungle but ......i

The fans wanted?

Yes, we all wanted this scenario where fans have left in droves, the club is pot less, no leadership team and dwindling talent on the pitch.

Give me a break. Sunday was hard to take, but like a manager - one thing aka a second division keeper of local background is not going to change our fortunes - Steele, like many of the squad are an example of cost cutting and down sizing.

Its like something you say when you're having bowel problems.

Any reasonably successful Rovers side has alway had an excellent, experienced goalkeeper between the sticks. We now have, in effect, two number twos (without a hint of irony) and a number three battling it out for a first team place. All three of whom are in their early/mid-twenties, and none of them really look as though they are going places - except for the bench.

Steele (25) - simply not good enough. Can stop a shot but little else. Doesn't command his box, has no presence and and his kicking is regularly woeful.

Eastwood (26) - a numbe three standard keeper who could come in during an injury crisis and help out. Nothing more at this stage.

Raya (20) - far too young, and too early to say. Going out on loan and doing well seems to have gone to his head. Signed a new contract - on the back of what is looking like a guaranteed run of games as number one. At the end of that possible apprenticeship he was dropped back to the ranks. Needs to go back out on loan.

Lambert simply has to be be looking for a proper number 1 of some pedigree. Experience is absolutely key. Barring the odd exception, there is a definite correlation between successful teams and the age/experience of their goalkeeper. A second captain at the back organising people is also a must.

Some "ideas" or musings, some dafter than others but tried to think all could be within reason (one in bold sticks out for me - might be worth a wedge):

Mark Schwarzer (40) - Leicester

Given (39) - Stoke

Konstantopoulos (37) - Boro (if they upgrade)

Howard (36) - Everton (highly unlikely)

de Vries (35) - Forest

Kuszczak (33) - Birmingham (?)

Myhill (33) - West Brom (if they look to upgrade)

Vorm (32) - Spurs

Foster (32) - West Brom

Lonergan (32) - Fulham

Camp (31) - Rotherham

Bunn (31) - Villa

Westwood (31) - Sheff Weds

Jakupović (31) - Hull

Carson (30) - Derby

Kuciak (30) - Hull

Marshall (30) - Cardiff (fellow weegie)

Bogdan (28) - Liverpool

Forster (27) - Southampton (loan?)

Fielding (27) - Bristol City

Smithies (23) - QPR (loan?)

Steer (23) - Huddersfield (too young but fits the Lambert ex-Norwich mould)

Btw, HTF have The Nobbers got Lindegaard (31) and Kirkland (35)?!

Any thoughts?

Was thinking the very same thing. We definately need a better keeper.

He's got good reflexes but just isn't strong or commanding enough for me. Made a few very good saves at Derby which probably kept us in it. It's no good keep letting in soft goals though it's all about the basics not the spectacular, just ask Jake Kean.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Bunn is the best choice along Gazzaniga from Southampton.

I would be tempt to start Raya as goalkeeper in the next few gamed tbf. We have 8 games in 24 days now.

Raya s not good enough !

Archived