BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Goalkeeper - Time For An Upgrade

Stuart

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Parson, Raya must be doing something with his career at this stage and be playing competitive football somewhere. Having been number 1 for the start of the season, he is gaining nothing from sitting on the bench taking in "the match day experience" and I think Eastwood is more than capable of sitting on a bench and coming on if needed. 8-10 more points on the board may see Raya regain the position until the end of the season for Lambert to make a choice on him for next season. He may need a word in his ear as to what to do when he has the ball at his feet though!

I've brought it up before but it's strange how Steele appears to be going backwards since the management change. Not that he was anything other than average but I thought he improved a bit from when he came so why the sudden loss of confidence. He's looked ropey for months now and despite his good cameos Eastwood isn't the answer I don't think. Both of them look too fragile.

Good keepers have an aura about them and a steadying influence to those around them. That and the ability to forcefully communicate to the rest of the team are vital for them - it's fair to say Steele has none of the above.

In fact, Silent Bob would be more communicative than Steele is.

Burnley have a reserve keeper who would walk into our team.

Only 'cos he's too fat to run.

Anyway... Eastwood's out of contract in the summer. If Steele isn't on stupid money (this is Rovers, after all), he's fine as cover, sign a new No.1, and loan Raya out. Simples?

Bit of a plug as he's a mate, but I honestly think Ben Hamer could do a job here. Didn't put a foot wrong last year for Leicester in the PL but was dropped by Pearson when Schmeichel returned to fitness and hasn't had a look in since. Had an unsuccessful spell at Bristol City earlier this year, but has pedigree in this league from playing for a couple of season's at Charlton.

Think Chaddy mentioned him, but Gazzaniga looks very decent too and he won't get a look in now at the Saints with Foster back.

• Moderation Lead

You've got me thinking now, had a look on wikipedia, and assuming it's still up to date- Southampton have 4 good keepers on their books! (Forster, Davis, Stekelenburg on loan, Gazzaniga).

Hamer might be a decent shout thinking about it!

No point wasting any money on a loan goalkeeper before the end of the season.

Our defence is one of the best in the league this year, so it's obviously not a problem that will threaten our survival status.

Needs upgrading in the summer though.

Been saying it for ages. What I like about the list mentioned is that though a few are a stretch and unrealistic there are a raft of possibilities.

In another thread there was a discussion that there weren't too many good keepers in the championship. Whilst that's true I feel there are a lot of potential ones available assuming they want to play rather than warm a bench...

Said Steele wasn't good enough when we signed him, he had dropped down to 4th keeper spot at Boro, but most disagreed as everyone we sign is brilliant, and everyone we have is rubbish.

If we can bring someone in now who can do better, then I would. Eastwood isn't good enough, and Raya hasn't impressed me (and im not sure it's fair to bring him in given our league position).

Good young keeper at Southend called Bentley. Would be worth a look at. Raya needs to go on loan to get more experience and improve on his kicking. Steele and Eastwood can equally have good and bad days and I personally don't think it matters which name is on the team sheet which suggests we need to invest in that position

I looked at Bentley but I believe that we need experience. He might be the next big thing but people thought that about Raya too after his last loan spell. Number One at a Championship club at this stage was, much like a Steele attempt at a West Ham free kick, a stretch too far.

Archived