BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Goalkeeper - Time For An Upgrade

Stuart

A good keeper always commands his box, we should know because over the years we've had the best.

Not too sure about Raya because he didn't last too long in his early season opportunity under GB and if PL had thought he was worth a shot then we would have seen him today. PL will surely see what we see.

Always notice when Steele comes out at beginning of games he kind of half greets the BBN End applause instead of giving it the full confident appreciation. A bit like his overall game, almost there but needs extra.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 1st goal was incredible though, I am finding it a difficult time trying to remember a keeper letting in a poorer shot in recent memory.

I can. Robinson couple of years back against brum when demari gray hit a daisy cutter and Robinson dived over it. Woeful. Game where rudi scored a hattrick.

Living in Shrewsbury, have seen Jason lieutweiler a few times. Much more promising than anything we have

• Moderation Lead

Agree with this thread, good call Stuart. Some very good points from some very observant folk as well! (The 'coward' comment was spot on).

For what it's worth I'd be happy sticking Eastwood in for the rest of the season now. Raya ended up like Jake Kean at the start of the season and was an accident waiting to happen, so I think he should be loaned out.

As for a replacement, God knows. Just someone solid and consistent.

Can't wait.

Anyone happy with Steele is short - sighted.

He's never commanding, awful kicking techniques, and he's always liable to drop a clanger.

Where's Eastwood gone? Narnia?

IEastwood shone in a few games last season. I can't remember Steele ever excelling.

Mark Bunn or Jed Steer are very good suggestions.

We should have never let Mark Bunn leave when Rovers got relegated. He should have been made number 1 right then.

Maybe Sheff Utd keeper George Long. Been a part of England under 21's squad in the past 18 months/2 years. Plus out of contract this summer.

Another suggestion Southampton keeper Gazzaniga. Currently number 2 keeper there. He is just over 6ft 6 inches.

No doubt in my mind upgrading the keeper is number one priority. The points a good goalie wins for you are the difference between promotion and not. Steele makes the odd good reflex save but even then usually deflects it back into the danger area. His weaknesses are almost too many to list. The first goal, his positioning for the free kick and the feet first "save" were once in a season mistakes for even an average keeper. The defence clearly don't trust him. Drop now and replace in the summer

I'll never forget our League Cup tie against Brian Clough's Nottingham Forest circa 1982. Rovers played Forest off the pitch yet we just couldn't get the ball past Shilton, who was awesome in his all white kit, a real colossus.. Garner had at least 3 good chances saved. Then Justin Fashanu popped to score with one of the few goals he scored for Forest and we lost the match 1-0. So yes, all good teams have a top-class keeper and I don't think Steele can be trusted anymore. He cost us big time today.

Yes didn't he play in one a couple of seasons earlier in the League Cup and it ended 1-1? Got tonked in the 2nd Leg. Definitely need a No.1 keeper also found John Filan's recent departure a little mysterious in the way it was handled.

Yes didn't he play in one a couple of seasons earlier in the League Cup and it ended 1-1? Got tonked in the 2nd Leg. Definitely need a No.1 keeper also found John Filan's recent departure a little mysterious in the way it was handled.

Yeah it was so soon after Derek Shaw very suspicious. Who knows perhaps there was something going on between them... :wub:

I know it's not a game of points on here but how long have I been on about Steele for? Some seem content with him, even talking to some fans after the game who said the same. I think he's arguably one of the worst keepers in the league. I keep harping on about that all teams in this league should be aspiring to sign players with a view to promotion... Karanka obviously had good look at this lad and decided he wasn't of that standard yet he's good enough for us? I hope Lambert is ruthless and decides to replace him, seems to have something about him that gives off the impression that he's bought his own hype, coming from the England youth setup and all that... He needs a reality check and a better keeper coming in and taking his place would help that cause... and ours.

Toss.

Steele is a steady Eddie. As another poster said, even Eastwood had blinders now and then when he played. Steele is a good reflex stopper but pretty pants at everything else. Even today, he made two outstanding reflex saves but had a poor game overall.

How can you be a "steady eddie" and yet be poor at everything but reflex saves? Surely a steady goalkeeper is someone who does basics consistently and saves what he can? What good is a goalkeeper who pulls out one camera save a match but is @#/? poor at everything else? I'd argue Steele is the exact opposite of "steady".

I'd agree that steele isn't the answer. But I'm not sure how many good ones are about. They are like gold dust. I'm sure we aren't likely to snare another Friedel. That was a one in a lifetime.

There are plenty out there we could get that would be better than Steele and that isn't saying much.

There are plenty out there we could get that would be better than Steele and that isn't saying much.

Better yes. But good on a consistent basis? We're crying our for a keeper who can be relied upon all the time for not just shot stopping but at their feet too. Not to mention having the capability to lead and command our back four. I dint disagree that the position needs addressing, but i'm not sure it'll be an easy task.

Not sure what his situation is right now, but last I saw Ruddy was frozen out at Norwich. Maybe?

I didn't think Raya did anything particular to warrant being dropped, and in fact lost his place after a 0-0 draw against Bolton.

The keeper situation is ridiculous to me. Both Steel and Eastwood could be described as average at best therefore Raya needs an extended run to ascertain if he's better than the other two. If he's not then he'll never be good enough regardless of age and we should be looking to pot all 3.

Better yes. But good on a consistent basis? We're crying our for a keeper who can be relied upon all the time for not just shot stopping but at their feet too. Not to mention having the capability to lead and command our back four. I dint disagree that the position needs addressing, but i'm not sure it'll be an easy task.

Not sure what his situation is right now, but last I saw Ruddy was frozen out at Norwich. Maybe?

I might be wrong but I think he came back in for Rudd and played well in their last game.

Mark Bunn or Jed Steer are very good suggestions.

We should have never let Mark Bunn leave when Rovers got relegated. He should have been made number 1 right then.

Maybe Sheff Utd keeper George Long. Been a part of England under 21's squad in the past 18 months/2 years. Plus out of contract this summer.

Another suggestion Southampton keeper Gazzaniga. Currently number 2 keeper there. He is just over 6ft 6 inches.

Sorry but you really are a gonad at times after all the noise you made about Steele replacing Robbo whilst you'd welded yourself to GB's long johns. Track your mind back a bit and a lot of us told you this guy wasn't fit to lace an ageing injury prone fat Robbos boots.

Ok, now a topic on my preferred subject. Thanks Stuart!

As a former goalkeeper, & a very vocal one at that, it really gets to me how poor Steele is at organising his defenders. Shout, scream anything, but get them to action things which u can see but they can't. As a keeper you have an unprecedented view of the game, use it to help your defenders! Steele just doesn't do this, he doesn't even have a go when he's had to make a great save due to @#/? poor defending! Get rid ! A good option fot a back up but nowt else.

we've been blessed over the years, Gennoe ( my childhood hero), flowers, Friedel ( legend) even robbo, i'll even include Mimms who is better than anything on offer now! FFS i'll take Vince O'keefe who i never rated other than a certain day at Wembley in 87.

i played in a 5 a side competition for work last year for the first time in 10 years & let in one like Steele did today. I was mortified. I'm 40 and not being paid a king's ransom! Nuff said!

• Moderation Lead

I didn't think Raya did anything particular to warrant being dropped, and in fact lost his place after a 0-0 draw against Bolton.

The keeper situation is ridiculous to me. Both Steel and Eastwood could be described as average at best therefore Raya needs an extended run to ascertain if he's better than the other two. If he's not then he'll never be good enough regardless of age and we should be looking to pot all 3.

Raya's head had gone and I felt he was in danger of being Jake Kean mark 2. That being said though, I don't think he was playing worse than Steele is now. The worst thing about him is he doesn't inspire confidence. How poor is his kicking? How often does it go wayward when it comes back to him to clear. Frightening.

• Backroom

I find it absolutely flabbergasting how people are calling Simon Eastwood 'average'.

When he came into the team for the run of games last season, in my opinion, he never put a foot wrong.

That save at Middlesbrough away was probably the best 'live' save I have ever seen. Unless people have been watching him for the reserves, which admittedly I haven't, and he has been poor then I really don't see how people have come to the conclusion he is average.

Raya has huge potential. He is an outstanding young 'keeper but, like all youngsters, will make mistakes from time to time as he is still learning his trade. At this stage in his career I would have thought he ought to be playing games - either here or on loan. Steele is like so many 'keepers in the Championship - capable of brilliance and yet prone to howlers.

Archived