BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Eu Referendum, In Or Out - Looks Like Blackburn Wants Out !

How will you vote on June 23rd  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or Leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union
    • Leave the European Union

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've yet to notice anyone crying in their beer but several continuing to argue why it's an error to leave the EU.

On the basis of your argument everyone should cease to discuss politics after an election.

I've just returned from holidaying with French friends and also met German and Swiss nationals. They say the views reported in their home media are different from the UK. EU countries want to see a very hard line taken with the UK. The view of ordinary people is their governments will give us nothing without full compliance on everything.

It may mean nothing but it's the view of the man on the street.......... and he must have got it from somewhere.

Personally don't give a crap what anyone from any other country thinks .. You lost fair n square .

I've yet to notice anyone crying in their beer but several continuing to argue why it's an error to leave the EU.

On the basis of your argument everyone should cease to discuss politics after an election.

I've just returned from holidaying with French friends and also met German and Swiss nationals. They say the views reported in their home media are different from the UK. EU countries want to see a very hard line taken with the UK. The view of ordinary people is their governments will give us nothing without full compliance on everything.

It may mean nothing but it's the view of the man on the street.......... and he must have got it from somewhere.

We have a French customer who lives in the Village and works on IT for one of the big 3 supermarket chains, he is glad we voted out. He also has French friends who have set up businesses in the south of England and he says it is about 70% out 30% stay in their circle,

as you say, it may mean nothing

Personally don't give a crap what anyone from any other country thinks .. You lost fair n square .

The point I am making is people I know and meet who live in the EU say their press and media are reporting a different view on Brexit from that which we read here.

For instance I'm told German media reports Merkel is adamant the UK must comply with all EU requirements if we are to access the Single Market. If the EU takes this stance and the UK wishes to access the Single Market we will have lost a lot for very little gain.

Personally I'm just as interested to understand the view of other Europeans as they are to understand the UK view. Budiness people expressed the view those who may suffer the most are the low paid as they anticipate the UK will repeal EU labour legislation under pressure from multi-nationals who would like to see the UK as a low wage economy.

We have a French customer who lives in the Village and works on IT for one of the big 3 supermarket chains, he is glad we voted out. He also has French friends who have set up businesses in the south of England and he says it is about 70% out 30% stay in their circle,

as you say, it may mean nothing

It's very interesting as opinion seems so widely divided. I went to a party in France a few weeks before the vote. Present were Irish, English, French, Ukranian, Russian, Italian and Swiss based French - all felt we would be crazy to vote out.

On the other hand an Icelandic businessman I met this week spent sometime telling me it was the best decision the UK has made. His wife was also very anti EU. Their post Iceland crash experience was really interesting.

It's very interesting as opinion seems so widely divided. I went to a party in France a few weeks before the vote. Present were Irish, English, French, Ukranian, Russian, Italian and Swiss based French - all felt we would be crazy to vote out.

On the other hand an Icelandic businessman I met this week spent sometime telling me it was the best decision the UK has made. His wife was also very anti EU. Their post Iceland crash experience was really interesting.

The main reason he says for their view is the red tape in France and how easy it is to set up and do business in the UK, I can personally vouch for that as well, from total frustration in setting up and running 3 businesses in France.

The main reason he says for their view is the red tape in France and how easy it is to set up and do business in the UK, I can personally vouch for that as well, from total frustration in setting up and running 3 businesses in France.

I don't know about France but successive UK governments have worked to achieve this position. Presumably their are local French laws which must be prohibitive as one would imagine any EU legislation would be common to both countries.

The Icelandic people I met this week wanted to understand how self-sufficient the UK could become? Apparently the success of Icekand's recovery is the whole population had little choice other than to go back to basics. People returned to family homes, worked together, started new cottage industries etc. They are now worried development is heading back towards pre-crash levels. Judging by the amount of housing development one has to see the reason. 330,000 people only need so many flats and houses!

I don't know about France but successive UK governments have worked to achieve this position. Presumably their are local French laws which must be prohibitive as one would imagine any EU legislation would be common to both countries.

The Icelandic people I met this week wanted to understand how self-sufficient the UK could become? Apparently the success of Icekand's recovery is the whole population had little choice other than to go back to basics. People returned to family homes, worked together, started new cottage industries etc. They are now worried development is heading back towards pre-crash levels. Judging by the amount of housing development one has to see the reason. 330,000 people only need so many flats and houses!

So it is obviously no good comparing the UK economy with Iceland, cottage industries are for Scotland are they not ? :)

The French have this little quirk when you start a business, they assume you have money or you would not start a business in the 1st place, result is after 3 months you get a tax bill which is a minimum €3200, (might be more now, that was 3 years ago) you pay this quarterly for the 1st 2 years. Then your accountant, who works for the state in France! calculates if you have made a profit or not, if not you have to appeal to get some of the tax back, which is rare. If you employ someone the minimum wage is about €380 a week for 35 hours and the business pays approx 45% cotisations on top i.e. €171. So to employ someone in France actually costs you a minimum of €551 a week and they are practically un-sackable.

Apply that scenario to your business Paul, I bet it will make your eyes water lol

Iceland had the balls to jail its bankers and not bail out the debts the banks accumulated. Being outside the EU gave them greater freedom to act this way but it also gave them greater freedom to get into that almighty great mess in the first place.

Still they are OK at winning football matches.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jul/16/science-research-hit-by-brexit British science going down the toilet- I am getting yet more enquiries from world beating small British hi-tech firms reluctantly concluding they cannot afford the risk of David Davis being brought to any sort of sense in his negotiating stance.

What's the point? The votes have been counted.

We are going to go through the biggest event to effect our country IMO since the second world war and we shouldn't discuss it?

We currently have no idea what Brexit looks like, that future in itself is worthwhile discussing, don't you think?

We are going to go through the biggest event to effect our country IMO since the second world war and we shouldn't discuss it?

We currently have no idea what Brexit looks like, that future in itself is worthwhile discussing, don't you think?

This is what part of it will look like

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36818055

Looks like a queue forming !

A question for you brexiteers.........

The Tory government trusted the electorate to make a decision on whether to remain or leave, even though it was a huge leap into the dark. Do you believe the same electorate should be asked whether they support the final exit terms?

A question for you brexiteers.........

The Tory government trusted the electorate to make a decision on whether to remain or leave, even though it was a huge leap into the dark. Do you believe the same electorate should be asked whether they support the final exit terms?

What was the referendum question again ?

agreed by all parties concerned

:)

That's what I thought. Want out no matter what the consequences.

Actually what I thought was you want to try to change the vote no matter what.

;)

The terms we negotiate will at a minimum be debated in Parliament with our democratically elected MP's.

I think it only right and proper for the Prime Minister/MP's to decide if a vote by the electorate is required, as they did for the referendum.

Is that clear enough or are you going to come back with some other scheme to get the referendum over turned ?

Reports in the papers tomorrow that because the UK economy will be smaller in the next 5 years as a result of Brexit there will be fewer jobs available and up to 50% fewer migrants coming into the country than anticipated. Study of migrant data over the past 25 years shows a strong correlation between the strength of the economy and net migration numbers and confirms the view that migration levels are self-correcting and were just another scare story put out by the Leave campaign.

• Backroom

I never believe economy forecasts because the future isn't predictable. Hell, we can't accurately predict the weather 3 days in advance.

Even in your post you use correlation to suggest causation...

I never believe economy forecasts because the future isn't predictable. Hell, we can't accurately predict the weather 3 days in advance.

Even in your post you use correlation to suggest causation...

The future is far more predictable than you obviously think, thats how bookies and stockbrokers (and Mystic Meg) make money.

Give it a rest I'm not biting

Leave them to it I reckon. Democracy has had its say, it's probably come as a shock to quite a few how little respect many have for it when it decides something they don't want, but there ya go.

Demanding a second referendum, hoping Scotland can veto it, multiple demos, this personal smear campaign of all pro-Brexit figureheads, and the ongoing approach of moan as loud and as long as it takes to water-down or perhaps even dismantle the exit strategy completely.

If that's how people want to behave leave them to it I say, as long as this country remains a democratic one it won't change a single thing. I'd suggest all Leave voters just abandon this thread and let the Remainers continue their communal whinge and constant news updates.

Archived