BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bristol City At Home

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The vast majority of the Rovers squad are playing at least one division above their ability , some 2 divisions ....

It doesnt matter who the manager is , Venkys have presided over a dumbing down of the club , not known in my time ...

What does puzzle me is why Lambert was appointed in the first place.Completely opposite to their usual stance on management , which is cheap ,useless and a yes person !

Last throw of the dice whilst there was still some parachute brass knocking about, cheaper than signing players and commiting to contracts. Hardline boss to over see the sale of Rhodes and pull in a few interesting loans with still an outside shot at the play offs.

They thought he'd get blood out of a stone but he hasn't. As always with them it's been a bit of a con job.

We can't excuse ANYTHING Venkys do. Lambert has a far better track record at what he does than our jailers have.

I expect when he was recruited they talked about things like Venkys' patience (see St Gary) and him having money to spend (that seems clear). His initial battle has been trying to change the mentality, with no money, hence people like Bennett, Jackson and Ward. He added some quality in Gomez and Graham, and a bit of a rebel with Watt. Of those, I'd say that only Gomez has been a 'disappointment', in that I expected far more of him. For some reason Spaniards don't settle well at Ewood. Personally I would criticise Lambert's shortsightedness and perhaps naivety in selling Rhodes with a proper replacement in the bag. That transfer should have been on our terms, with a Boro player signing in part ex. But I accept I'm in the minority on here.

But more than half of the squad is still of the mind-set that Bowyer instilled. Let's not pretend it is fair, yet, to compare Lambert's time but if we must: Bowyer had 3 years and managed to reach the heady heights that Lambert has maintained in 6 months. Bowyer was at his peak and wasn't going to get better, Lambert I'm sure would admit hasn't done as well as he can (although he'd caveat about lack of funds) - yet they have an equivalent record. Adding a few loanees isn't going to turn us into promotion candidates overnight. He needs time and money and I would certainly rather put my faith in Lambert than Bowyer to attract the right players and get it right on the pitch.

You are very protective over PL. Personally I still think PL is the man to take us forward - but it doesn't stop me being very disappointed at his record so far.

Are we sure the money has disappeared? He was sold with hours of the window remaining and said window has been shut since.

Wasn't it structured that we got a down payment then the bulk of the money coming later ? Whatever the deal though if we have an overdraft of 20 mill and 9 mill comes in the bank will grab it first. It'll be swallowed in running costs instead of the V's having to do it.

You are very protective over PL. Personally I still think PL is the man to take us forward - but it doesn't stop me being very disappointed at his record so far.

Not protective as such. He's the ONLY manager Venkys have appointed in 5 years so I'd rather we didn't get on his back without real cause. What does grate though is that with Bowyer, 3 years wasn't long enough for the some fans and it's the same ones who are trying to put pressure on Lambert after a Jan window and no money.

Yep, you see people commenting at full time on Rovers' Twitter account saying stuff like 'I was one of the ones who wanted Bowyer to stay, when we appointed Lambert I was very disappointed. Bet you all wish we'd kept Bowyer in charge now?'

Seriously pathetic

3 wins in 17 was it ? We were only going one way and even if we'd have clicked into gear occasionally as we did under Bowyer we'd have been no better off in the long run. Factor in Rhodes would probably have been sold anyway, GBs mob wanted him out, he wanted out and and the Vs needed the money.

Rhodes pulled us out the crap under GB countless times so without him would Bowyer have recruited anyone with the calibre of Graham on loan ? Very very doubtful so where would we actually be now.

At the time the dice needed rolling and a change needed making. We'll only properly see if it's the right one if he receives the same backing as the previous fella.

Not protective as such. He's the ONLY manager Venkys have appointed in 5 years so I'd rather we didn't get on his back without real cause. What does grate though is that with Bowyer, 3 years wasn't long enough for the some fans and it's the same ones who are trying to put pressure on Lambert after a Jan window and no money.

Because Lambert actually is a manager more things are expected from him.

As posted before though while it has been a disappointing start for PL realising you've joined on false pretenses, one of the most unprofessionally run clubs can't help you achieve your best...

Because Lambert actually is a manager more things are expected from him.

As posted before though while it has been a disappointing start for PL realising you've joined on false pretenses, one of the most unprofessionally run clubs can't help you achieve your best...

He's an actual manager, not an actual miracle worker.

Show me a successful manager who spent no money. Even Hollowhead spent money at Blackpool.

He's an actual manager, not an actual miracle worker.

Show me a successful manager who spent no money. Even Hollowhead spent money at Blackpool.

Not that much as I recall but you're arguing with the wrong person as I think PLs our best shot of success in a long time. And nor did I think it'd be an overnight job but I am disappointed there haven't been more improvements or promising signs then there have been.

Only manager I can think off in spur of moment is Warnock. Doing a great job with dross at Rotherham.

Really? Give their commercial department a ring and find out their annual income from corporate/commercial activities. I'll bet you whatever you like that it's (considerably) higher than ours.

They just came off a Premier League campaign the only reason they would have attracted more revenue. Nobody tried to buy the club while they were in the EPL that says it all.

As I recall Rovers were actually quite high in the Championship table for commercial revenue. Would have been at some point in past couple of years and probably higher if incompetent idiots were not the owners.

Not that much as I recall but you're arguing with the wrong person as I think PLs our best shot of success in a long time. And nor did I think it'd be an overnight job but I am disappointed there haven't been more improvements or promising signs then there have been.

Only manager I can think off in spur of moment is Warnock. Doing a great job with dross at Rotherham.

Not arguing, just pointing out that it's too soon for real disappointment or real expectation. Lambert has spent zero pounds. Holloway spent nearly £4m and had some great luck.

It would be ironic if our first manager was the only one not given cash to spend. Venkys are either the stupidest or unluckiest owners but they are certainly slow on the uptake.

That's not backing, that's "work with what you have got and be creative". Rhodes' wage and transfer fee dwarfs whatever we are paying for two freebies/negligible fees and their wage.

I said Lambert, not you! ;)

But really? Fewer goalscorer options AND no money? Wow, he really must like a challenge.

But not fewer goals!

Or from having it both ways!

They just came off a Premier League campaign the only reason they would have attracted more revenue. Nobody tried to buy the club while they were in the EPL that says it all.

As I recall Rovers were actually quite high in the Championship table for commercial revenue. Would have been at some point in past couple of years and probably higher if incompetent idiots were not the owners.

No one actually needed to buy Burnley when they were in the Premier League. They had two options then, to either spend big in an attempt to stay there or, as they chose, spend virtually nothing and see what happens. They got relegated, pocketed the cash and, barring a disaster, will be back there next season. They are obviously in a much stronger position than before and, if yorkyclaret is correct, they have £30 million in their back sack before even considering the riches that will come their way in a few months time.

You only need to look at the empty spaces where some of the advertising hoardings used to be to see the current disinterest in the Rovers. That is mirrored in the suites and restaurants where companies are now taking their corporate clients elsewhere.

I am trying desperately not to champion Burnley's cause because, like most Rovers fans, I don't like them. I just don't see how you can state they have one of the most unmarketable names in football. Being Burnley FC rather than Burnley Wanderers or Burnley Town doesn't appear to be holding them back in the slightest.

No one actually needed to buy Burnley when they were in the Premier League. They had two options then, to either spend big in an attempt to stay there or, as they chose, spend virtually nothing and see what happens. They got relegated, pocketed the cash and, barring a disaster, will be back there next season. They are obviously in a much stronger position than before and, if yorkyclaret is correct, they have £30 million in their back sack before even considering the riches that will come their way in a few months time.

You only need to look at the empty spaces where some of the advertising hoardings used to be to see the current disinterest in the Rovers. That is mirrored in the suites and restaurants where companies are now taking their corporate clients elsewhere.

I am trying desperately not to champion Burnley's cause because, like most Rovers fans, I don't like them. I just don't see how you can state they have one of the most unmarketable names in football. Being Burnley FC rather than Burnley Wanderers or Burnley Town doesn't appear to be holding them back in the slightest.

I've seen the empty spaces and told the club to cover them up with something like a charity, free advertising, etc. They ignored me other than a half hearted response from Myers (though Lynsey Talbot took note of my emails and tried to enquire further after my initial emails were unanswered) and this was before he announced his upcoming departure. They haven't covered them up since so clearly they didn't listen. Says it all about the commercial department and those at the top.

They should change their name to Burnley Clarets. I'm hardly being complimentary of them myself saying its a boring name!

Its not a case of "needing to" its that nobody wanted to. FUP hasn't exactly helped I suppose but can't see any marketing value in them whatsoever.

Makes you wonder how they have a business worth billions if they cant even make up their minds on Lamberts budget for next year(any money at all)?

Surely even they can see the delay stops him from performing his job effectively.

They have a business because their father was a brilliant business man. It is now run by local managers that keep it ticking over. On their own there would never have been a billion dollar business.

They should change their name to Burnley Clarets.......

...... can't see any marketing value in them whatsoever.

Give them a ring. I'm sure they'll take on board your thoughts about their 'unmarketable' name.

While you're at it, ask them how Oak Furniture Land are both their major sponsors and shirt sponsors. They're one of the fastest growing companies in the UK with a £200m turnover and £11m profit.

Not arguing, just pointing out that it's too soon for real disappointment or real expectation. Lambert has spent zero pounds. Holloway spent nearly £4m and had some great luck.

It would be ironic if our first manager was the only one not given cash to spend. Venkys are either the stupidest or unluckiest owners but they are certainly slow on the uptake.

You keep saying he had no money - but you are wrong - we paid small fees for both Bennett and Ward - he was also given the finances to get in a Premiership striker and two Premiership midfield players on loan. Yes he didn't have millions - but neither did Warnock at Rotherham.

Personally, with the right backing, I think he is our best bet to take us forward, but it doesn't mean I can't be disappointed in him so far.

You keep saying he had no money - but you are wrong - we paid small fees for both Bennett and Ward - he was also given the finances to get in a Premiership striker and two Premiership midfield players on loan. Yes he didn't have millions - but neither did Warnock at Rotherham.

Personally, with the right backing, I think he is our best bet to take us forward, but it doesn't mean I can't be disappointed in him so far.

Chances are he wouldn't have got those players in if he'd had funds to spend. I'm disappointed he couldn't get more out of what he had but he didn't exactly have the pick of the bunch did he. And our squad was already pretty awful. Any half decent players brought in in January will be made to look less decent with the dross they have to play with week in week out. I'm not a Lambert apologist, I actually wish he'd stop talking to the press as I don't think it helps the team. I can't blame him for the hand he's been dealt though. It's the worst Rovers squad in a long long time.

55 (28) 70 (25) 66 (21) 24 (10)

Do you know what those numbers are?

Your lottery ticket? Seriously, I don't know what you think you're proving but the goals have not dried up since Rhodes left and, something you never refer to, his goals had all but dried up anyway. Probably something to do with not getting his transfer at the end of last season and wanting it even more this.

Your lottery ticket? Seriously, I don't know what you think you're proving but the goals have not dried up since Rhodes left and, something you never refer to, his goals had all but dried up anyway. Probably something to do with not getting his transfer at the end of last season and wanting it even more this.

Probably something to do with all of his service and support drying up around him.

We didn't score enough goals when Rhodes was here because of a poor team (including replacing Gestede with Brown) and his loss of form. Once again, you are comparing an out of form Rhodes with other players at their best.

We haven't scored enough goals since he left either. So being just as crap isn't anything to crow about. I expect that we've not even saved his wage with Gomez and Graham arriving. An in-form Rhodes would have scored a lot more goals than we have without him.

Archived