SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bristol City At Home

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Can we afford either?!

Technically no, but if Lambert was working to a specific budget which essentially said we can either sell Rhodes and bring in Graham/Gomez, or just keep Rhodes, we never would have had the chance of seeing those players playing together anyway.

Graham and a striker with pace would be potentially even more potent.

True, maybe that Wells lad at Hudds ? Our midfield would have to up their game a lot before we can afford to play with two out and out strikers though.

55 (28) 70 (25) 66 (21) 24 (10)

Do you know what those numbers are?

Err, are they the numbers on the front of your credit card ?

Probably something to do with all of his service and support drying up around him.

We didn't score enough goals when Rhodes was here because of a poor team (including replacing Gestede with Brown) and his loss of form. Once again, you are comparing an out of form Rhodes with other players at their best.

We haven't scored enough goals since he left either. So being just as crap isn't anything to crow about. I expect that we've not even saved his wage with Gomez and Graham arriving. An in-form Rhodes would have scored a lot more goals than we have without him.

I could answer your points Stuart but this would go on forever! We will have to disagree. I don't miss him but there you go.

Some good posts from you on another thread though!

The vast majority of the Rovers squad are playing at least one division above their ability , some 2 divisions ....

It doesnt matter who the manager is , Venkys have presided over a dumbing down of the club , not known in my time ...

What does puzzle me is why Lambert was appointed in the first place.Completely opposite to their usual stance on management , which is cheap ,useless and a yes person !

I dont actually buy that. The team on the whole is pretty decent player for player. Marshall, Conway, Graham, Gomez, Duffy, Hanley, Lenihan, Evans will all easily find good Championship gigs once they leave us. Only real positions I would say are not Championship quality are the full backs, keeper and strikers apart from Graham.

Lambert has a lot to contend with but he hasnt got enough out of the players. Thats pretty obvious to me.

Looking at the game sat, 2 or 3 changes to that side and we would have won easily.. Namely Akpan and Kilgallon.

Apart from Graham , Lambert's signings have been pretty uninspiring. Gomez does not give a sh1t which is fairly obvious.

On a positive Mahoney showed some great 1st touches and games between now and the end of the season will be valuable experience.

Yep, you see people commenting at full time on Rovers' Twitter account saying stuff like 'I was one of the ones who wanted Bowyer to stay, when we appointed Lambert I was very disappointed. Bet you all wish we'd kept Bowyer in charge now?'

Seriously pathetic

Going over old ground, but GB wasted our best 2 chances at promotion. We had 2 decent squads, that he failed with (only went on unbeaten runs when the pressure was off_) His refusal to partner or even play Rhodes and Gestede in the 2nd half of the season was ludicrous.

The squad he left us with this season defies description.

Any ambitious club would be mad to appoint GB.

Back to Saturdays insult; PL's post game interviews are critical, but kinda tame. Killgallon contradicts and alludes to the players being told standards are unacceptable.

I think PL would have more public support if he reflected his dressing room anger in his interviews.

He's got nothing to lose. Cant see why he protects the group as much.

When City embarrassed us and got promoted at Ewood, Souey fumed on Radio Rovers, and in the LET. That rallied fans I knew and gave us something to clutch at through pre season.

Looking at the game sat, 2 or 3 changes to that side and we would have won easily.. Namely Akpan and Kilgallon.

Apart from Graham , Lambert's signings have been pretty uninspiring. Gomez does not give a sh1t which is fairly obvious.

On a positive Mahoney showed some great 1st touches and games between now and the end of the season will be valuable experience.

How many times did Conor beat or dribble past a Bristol City defender ?

Another hugely disappointing performance from players who seem to have switched off and are already on their summer break. Couldn't understand the team selection or the substitutions today. Lambert has been going on all week about our promising youngsters but doesn't play them apart from Mahoney. Could Jack Doyle do a worse job than Kilgallon? I felt sorry for Kilgallon as he is clearly struggling at left back and looks what he is, a centre-half being asked to play in a position that doesn't work for him. Graham was the one saving grace this afternoon and again underlined why we should sign him in the summer but, alas, I suspect that Venkys will miss the boat with that one. I thought the substitutions didn't help and couldn't understand why Conway seemed to be playing in the centre of midfield at one point. Indeed, I couldn't understand taking Mahoney off as I felt he was the only other bright spot apart from Graham. I really do fear for us next season no matter who the manager is as we need a major rebuilding job in the summer and I doubt the cash will be available. Only two more games to endure thank goodness.

You just know that they will drag their feet long enough for one of the few good things from this 'orrible season to be snapped up by someone else. Also I don't think he signs if Lambert leaves.

Stuart, Lambert has signed Ward and Bennett permanent with Loan deals for Graham, Watt, Gomez and Grimes. so he has been backed somewhat but the summer was always going to be the massive rebuilding job that needs doing.

I agree with you arbitro that whoever the manager is we need to start to bring through the young players and develop a style of football that is played throughout the club like Swansea do. But come the summer we need to sign at least 10 players and we could do with this being done as soon as possible.

I agree

Looks to me like whoever the manager is he is going to have to use our youth and loa ees as the Venkfukwits will be keeping their hands in the pockets as far as improving the playing staff.

We can't excuse ANYTHING Venkys do. Lambert has a far better track record at what he does than our jailers have.

I expect when he was recruited they talked about things like Venkys' patience (see St Gary) and him having money to spend (that seems clear). His initial battle has been trying to change the mentality, with no money, hence people like Bennett, Jackson and Ward. He added some quality in Gomez and Graham, and a bit of a rebel with Watt. Of those, I'd say that only Gomez has been a 'disappointment', in that I expected far more of him. For some reason Spaniards don't settle well at Ewood. Personally I would criticise Lambert's shortsightedness and perhaps naivety in selling Rhodes with a proper replacement in the bag. That transfer should have been on our terms, with a Boro player signing in part ex. But I accept I'm in the minority on here.

But more than half of the squad is still of the mind-set that Bowyer instilled. Let's not pretend it is fair, yet, to compare Lambert's time but if we must: Bowyer had 3 years and managed to reach the heady heights that Lambert has maintained in 6 months. Bowyer was at his peak and wasn't going to get better, Lambert I'm sure would admit hasn't done as well as he can (although he'd caveat about lack of funds) - yet they have an equivalent record. Adding a few loanees isn't going to turn us into promotion candidates overnight. He needs time and money and I would certainly rather put my faith in Lambert than Bowyer to attract the right players and get it right on the pitch.

Can see what Lambert was thinking with Gomez but sadly he is one of those sunny day players without the intestinal fortitude. We needed a Spaniard with the Salgado mentality.

• Backroom

Good stuff was it drop shoulder push and run ? or a trick ?

Did have that extra bit of speed and how accurate was when passed or crossed the ball ?

A bit of both, a particularly nice piece of skill on the left saw him skip past two and play it infield.

Distribution hit and miss but put in a cracking corner for his last act of the game

Good stuff was it drop shoulder push and run ? or a trick ?

Did have that extra bit of speed and how accurate was when passed or crossed the ball ?

Bit of both the lad had a good game and didn't deserve to be taken off

3 or 4 times I recall

Must have missed it because I don't recall it. He looked far from ready to me and I was not surprised when he was subbed. Unfortunately the team didn't seem to know what formation we were playing when he came off and Bristol scored twice whilst we were sorting it out.

Bit of both the lad had a good game and didn't deserve to be taken off

We all do this with youngsters breaking into the team - if Bennett had played like Mahoney would you say he had a good game ? - personally I think he had an average match with glimpses of promise. On this showing don't think he is ready to be a first team regular - but it was only his first home match.

Having said that - it took Duff a little while to become the world beater that he was in his final season with us.

P.S. To answer JAL's question - he is no speed merchant, but no slouch either, on Saturdays showing would put him on a par with Marshall.

Archived