BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bristol City At Home

Well at least Lambert has kept us up this season.

So now we are secure,how about giving the youngsters a real chance,say Hanley,Marshall,Graham and eight from the reserves/home produced(Lenihan,Lowe,Mahoney,Doyle,Wharton,Tomlinson,Raya & Mansell or Forrester) for the next game ? Bet he wont though :wacko:

Of course he wont and nor should he. Theyd most likely get slaughtered and what good would that do their confidence or anything else?

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure that Lambert was brought in to save us from relegation. We were in a better league position with Bowyer who didn't moan about his lot in life. I expected much more from an established name. If He doesn't hoof it to Celtic we will see if Venkys trust him with their money or if he is left with chicken feed to work with again.

Wonder if Lambert regrets selling Rhodes. Given that the money has seemingly disappeared.

A manager would understand if there is no additional cash but if he makes money by selling a player he would fully expect to get a sizeable chunk of it.

Not sure that Lambert was brought in to save us from relegation. We were in a better league position with Bowyer who didn't moan about his lot in life. I expected much more from an established name. If He doesn't hoof it to Celtic we will see if Venkys trust him with their money or if he is left with chicken feed to work with again.

To be completely honest I cant see any real difference between Bowyer and Lambert, in fact arguably Bowyer shades Lambo in terms of what he has got from the team.

However when the owners provide absolutely zero support and leadership it feels like anyone as manager would struggle. The whole club has atrophied to the point where there is no framework beyond the managing and coaching side.

Honestly I am coming to the opinion we would be better to lose Venkys (as long as we can do so without going bankrupt), have a negative transfer budget, sell all the remaining assets we have, sign a bunch of kids and freebies, but at least have a boardroom who understand football and are invested in improving the club.

Our model for regeneration should be Swansea, which all stems from a quality boardroom.

Venkys have to start looking at an exit. It is not helping them or the club.

Wonder if Lambert regrets selling Rhodes. Given that the money has seemingly disappeared.

A manager would understand if there is no additional cash but if he makes money by selling a player he would fully expect to get a sizeable chunk of it.

I don't think it was ever as simple as sell Rhodes Yes or No?

Big asset, not likely to be many more bids to recoup the ridiculous fee we paid, and already a 100%+ wage to turnover ratio...

In terms of the thread we are on - looking at DGs contribution, I'd have to say that PL doesn't regret selling him but again, never quite as simple as black (keep) or white (sell).

GUYS!! It's virtually Bowyer's team! And he is being given no money to change it. The only bit that looks any use is the defence and we aren't keeping clean sheets. No keeper, shoddy midfield and a loanee striker.

Even a virtuoso can't play Mozart on a one-string violin.

The lack of work rate and movement 2nd half was disgraceful.

Even Tugay would've struggled to pick a pass.

That said, Crap passers like Lowe, Kilgallon, Akpan and Evans struggled to play it simple, and contributed to the compilation.

They didn't take the sting out of the game, and weekly surrendering possession gave Bristol City belief

I actually thought that Lowe kept the ball quite well - if anything I would say he wasn't adventurous enough with his passing.

Having said all that - as you say the lack of movement off the ball is absolutely woeful - I do wonder if this is why Gomez looks so poor. When we did bother to move off the ball it was patently obvious that we had the better team - but Bristol's desire to run off the ball and close down was at least 20% higher than ours.

However when the owners provide absolutely zero support and leadership it feels like anyone as manager would struggle. The whole club has atrophied to the point where there is no framework beyond the managing and coaching side.

Leicester and others are examples of foreign owned clubs run well - maybe we should aim our "open letter" to the owners to take steps to follow that model?

I agree though, no manager can succeed in this climate. Just think, if we'd been embargoed still in Jan - we'd probably be down.

GUYS!! It's virtually Bowyer's team! And he is being given no money to change it. The only bit that looks any use is the defence and we aren't keeping clean sheets. No keeper, shoddy midfield and a loanee striker.

I am a PL fan however he should at least be able to motivate them and coach them to cut out their constant basic mistakes that are the hallmark of park football not players on hundreds of thousands per year.

Yesterdays team was 75% Bowyer's - but PL has also brought in a fair number of players of which only Graham could be considered a real success - no wonder the Venky's are hesitating on what to do next (though in truth that is probably nothing to do with PL - just par for the course with our owners)

I am a PL fan however he should at least be able to motivate them and coach them to cut out their constant basic mistakes that are the hallmark of park football not players on hundreds of thousands per year.

I too like Lambert and I really think he is the man to progress us given the right level of support but a the moment he looks and sounds like a man who knows he isn't here for the long haul. Why on earth he isn't putting a few youngsters in the team is beyond me. Raya, Tomlinson, Wharton and Doyle should be in the frame, especially given that we are particularly weak in the positions they play (with the exception of Wharton).

With the idiotic owners and lack of investment we have I genuinely think the way forward will be our younger players with or without Lambert.

Stuart, Lambert has signed Ward and Bennett permanent with Loan deals for Graham, Watt, Gomez and Grimes. so he has been backed somewhat but the summer was always going to be the massive rebuilding job that needs doing.

I too like Lambert and I really think he is the man to progress us given the right level of support but a the moment he looks and sounds like a man who knows he isn't here for the long haul. Why on earth he isn't putting a few youngsters in the team is beyond me. Raya, Tomlinson, Wharton and Doyle should be in the frame, especially given that we are particularly weak in the positions they play (with the exception of Wharton).

With the idiotic owners and lack of investment we have I genuinely think the way forward will be our younger players with or without Lambert.

I agree with you arbitro that whoever the manager is we need to start to bring through the young players and develop a style of football that is played throughout the club like Swansea do. But come the summer we need to sign at least 10 players and we could do with this being done as soon as possible.

Our model for regeneration should be Swansea, which all stems from a quality boardroom.

Venkys have to start looking at an exit. It is not helping them or the club.

I agree

• Moderation Lead

I guess Bowyer never referenced us being under an embargo did he?....

I think you might find that happens now we're safe at least for this season. I don't get to watch the younger players but is there any of the those young players really knocking on the door ?

Probably before your time but when we won the a Youth Cup in the late 1950's we had three players who all became top international

players and who would be in my Rovers all time 11. None of them were thrown straight into the first team. Having said that we were playing at a higher level then and the first team players were of a better standard.

I actually thought that Lowe kept the ball quite well - if anything I would say he wasn't adventurous enough with his passing.

Having said all that - as you say the lack of movement off the ball is absolutely woeful - I do wonder if this is why Gomez looks so poor. When we did bother to move off the ball it was patently obvious that we had the better team - but Bristol's desire to run off the ball and close down was at least 20% higher than ours.

Movement off the ball has been poor for years, probably since Big Sam left. You've got be prepared to chase lost causes in football. Four times out of five you can make a run and not get the ball. That's football, you've got to keep making the runs. If you don't benefit from your effort a team mate will. Our guys don't seem to buy into that work ethic.

Yesterdays team was 75% Bowyer's - but PL has also brought in a fair number of players of which only Graham could be considered a real success - no wonder the Venky's are hesitating on what to do next (though in truth that is probably nothing to do with PL - just par for the course with our owners)

We can't excuse ANYTHING Venkys do. Lambert has a far better track record at what he does than our jailers have.

I expect when he was recruited they talked about things like Venkys' patience (see St Gary) and him having money to spend (that seems clear). His initial battle has been trying to change the mentality, with no money, hence people like Bennett, Jackson and Ward. He added some quality in Gomez and Graham, and a bit of a rebel with Watt. Of those, I'd say that only Gomez has been a 'disappointment', in that I expected far more of him. For some reason Spaniards don't settle well at Ewood. Personally I would criticise Lambert's shortsightedness and perhaps naivety in selling Rhodes with a proper replacement in the bag. That transfer should have been on our terms, with a Boro player signing in part ex. But I accept I'm in the minority on here.

But more than half of the squad is still of the mind-set that Bowyer instilled. Let's not pretend it is fair, yet, to compare Lambert's time but if we must: Bowyer had 3 years and managed to reach the heady heights that Lambert has maintained in 6 months. Bowyer was at his peak and wasn't going to get better, Lambert I'm sure would admit hasn't done as well as he can (although he'd caveat about lack of funds) - yet they have an equivalent record. Adding a few loanees isn't going to turn us into promotion candidates overnight. He needs time and money and I would certainly rather put my faith in Lambert than Bowyer to attract the right players and get it right on the pitch.

Graham has gone 6 goals in 16 games. So over a season he would have got 17 goals on avearge. But he also bring other attributes to the game like strength, work rate, bring in other players to the game.

I would give him 2 years contract at least

And what would you pay him with ?

What would he accept ?

Has he no other offers ?

In fact chaddyrovers I'm sticking My neck on the line and saying he's definitely not here next season

Stuart, Lambert has signed Ward and Bennett permanent with Loan deals for Graham, Watt, Gomez and Grimes. so he has been backed somewhat but the summer was always going to be the massive rebuilding job that needs doing.

That's not backing, that's "work with what you have got and be creative". Rhodes' wage and transfer fee dwarfs whatever we are paying for two freebies/negligible fees and their wage.

Wouldn't think he is for a moment Stuart!!

I said Lambert, not you! ;)

But really? Fewer goalscorer options AND no money? Wow, he really must like a challenge.

After the equaliser yesterday all the players Marshall apart showed no urgency whatsoever to get back over the line for the restart this was commented on in the JW upper..

They weren't interested

How have we gone from a "should have been play offs" quality squad to having 3 good players in the space of a year?

Got to say am disappointed with Lambert - expected much better and a bit more nous and application even in appalling conditions. If only to help his own reputation.

But then I'd be mighty hacked off and unmotivated if I took a job and found out everything I'd been told was a lie, so perhaps can't judge too harshly.

End result is though we are mightily screwed and looking like a relegation battle next season. How has it come to this?

How have we gone from a "should have been play offs" quality squad to having 3 good players in the space of a year?

Got to say am disappointed with Lambert - expected much better and a bit more nous and application even in appalling conditions. If only to help his own reputation.

But then I'd be mighty hacked off and unmotivated if I took a job and found out everything I'd been told was a lie, so perhaps can't judge too harshly.

End result is though we are mightily screwed and looking like a relegation battle next season. How has it come to this?

One word Venky's

Venkys out

The vast majority of the Rovers squad are playing at least one division above their ability , some 2 divisions ....

It doesnt matter who the manager is , Venkys have presided over a dumbing down of the club , not known in my time ...

What does puzzle me is why Lambert was appointed in the first place.Completely opposite to their usual stance on management , which is cheap ,useless and a yes person !

The vast majority of the Rovers squad are playing at least one division above their ability , some 2 divisions ....

It doesnt matter who the manager is , Venkys have presided over a dumbing down of the club , not known in my time ...

What does puzzle me is why Lambert was appointed in the first place.Completely opposite to their usual stance on management , which is cheap ,useless and a yes person !

Advice again in all probability that we'd make the playoffs at least a last throw of the dice

Advised by the pacha character

Then when it didn't look like happening time to change tact

The silence from Pune is deafening

Somehow we need them gone as the situation is getting worse

Are we sure the money has disappeared? He was sold with hours of the window remaining and said window has been shut since.

Archived