BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Camera Position In Riverside

Took me the whole highlight to get used to the ends being the wrong way round

Me too. Took a while to accept that the Norwich first goal was at the BBE.

Overall though it is a better camera angle - and serves Vs purpose to show off the ground albeit only a quarter full at best.

It's a long while since I have seen the JW upper as full as it was yesterday. Clearly reducing prices in this stand has an impact on numbers moving from other parts of the ground. Last season there were rows of empty seats behind me but yesterday it was quite full.

Corrected and a more accurate version of what happened ''Clearly forcing supporters out of their favoured seats whilst reducing prices in this stand has an impact on numbers moving from other parts of the ground''.............well it would do wouldn't it?

Seat relocations and the new camera position are part of the same staregy and my prediction is closure of the Roverside within 3 Seasons if Vs remain.

• Like 1

The trouble is I don't think Cheston's plan has had the desired effect this summer.

I have no doubt that the increase in prices in the Riverside, coupled with the drop in prices in the Jack Walker stand, was the beginning of a strategy to get as many people as possible to relocate from the Riverside to the Jack Walker.

I am one of those people. For the sake of an additional £20 I made the decision to move from the Riverside, where I have sat for the majority of the last 20 years, to the Jack Walker Stand, which had previously been about £100 more over a season.

However, looking at the Riverside on Saturday it seems there are still around 2,000 people in there. The stand must be per seat the most full of all the stands at Ewood, and I would guess contains on average the older element of Rovers supporters who have held season tickets for the longest period of time.

The reason the upper tier of the Jack Walker was much busier was because the Family stand relocation has resulted in all those people from the bottom tier, including those with staff tickets, being moved upstairs.

I now have my season ticket in the lower tier of the Jack Walker towards the Darwen End, and whilst slightly busier than in previous seasons it was still quite empty, so it seems not many others have done the same as me. Meanwhile the Riverside remains at similar levels to the last few years.

If Cheston's scheme is to close the Riverside then he's going to have his work cut out, because there must be at least 25% of season ticket holders in that stand, most of whom haven't reacted to this summers price changes, and it would be a massive gamble to risk losing those people at a time like this by closing the Riverside altogether.

Also did anyone else notice that the replays shown on the big screen on Saturday that the new gantry camera wasn't on the half way line (it was off centre) and that there was a slope on the camera angle? Either because whoever set the camera up didn't do it properly or because the Riverside roof slopes.

Not seen it but Rovers pitch does slope one way and maybe the higher up cameras in the JW didn't pick that up ?

Anyway as some will remember the old £ barometer they used to have on the side of the pitch for the Riverside rebuilding fund and the fact Jack donated the steel for it at cost or probably less I say SAVE THE RIVERSIDE !

Sod Venkys and their camera angles, sod whatever anyone watching thinks and sod pen pushing clueless number crunchers. Everybody go and sit in there. From what I remember as a kid it was always the busiest stand anyway before it was all seated.

Not seen it but Rovers pitch does slope one way and maybe the higher up cameras in the JW didn't pick that up ?

Anyway as some will remember the old £ barometer they used to have on the side of the pitch for the Riverside rebuilding fund and the fact Jack donated the steel for it at cost or probably less I say SAVE THE RIVERSIDE !

Sod Venkys and their camera angles, sod whatever anyone watching thinks and sod pen pushing clueless number crunchers. Everybody go and sit in there. From what I remember as a kid it was always the busiest stand anyway before it was all seated.

Dont know how old you are but these are some of my memories of the Riverside

image_v_Derby_1986.png

Riverside.jpg

and a bonus point for those, of a certain age, naming the Rovers player and the opposition in the Black & White pic

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 2

The stands always had character all of it's own even though it might look a bit odd now. To think they were considering rebuilding it with something a bit more modern not long ago, now the talk is of closing it :(

Is that top pic v Derby around Easter time late 80's ? If so I was in there.

• Like 1

Its John Connolly if I am not going brain dead.

Hell the thermometer and the buckets on the Riverside. My group paid for the Rebuild(with Uncle Jack) and nabbed the best seats. The Riverside is the 'heart' of Ewood, it just does not beat very much these days.

Close there and we would chain ourselves in.

• Like 1

The stands always had character all of it's own even though it might look a bit odd now. To think they were considering rebuilding it with something a bit more modern not long ago, now the talk is of closing it :(

Is that top pic v Derby around Easter time late 80's ? If so I was in there.

Yes - 1987?

Hell the thermometer and the buckets on the Riverside. My group paid for the Rebuild(with Uncle Jack) and nabbed the best seats. The Riverside is the 'heart' of Ewood, it just does not beat very much these days.

I'm pretty sure too it's John Connelly

Used to sit upstairs in the old Riverside - saddest day there was losing at home to Coventry, by a Boby Gould goal... I think.

Fergie kicked the bucket.........literally

Edited by AllRoverAsia

Yes not long after the FMC and the Mackay era was just getting going. Sticks in memory as we thrashed Derby, Garner was on form, hot day and biggest crowd of the season boosted by 3k away fans. We hadn't much to play for but it was to be the start of some good times as DM breathed new life into Rovers.

We'll never relive the Jack era nor the stable Prem club era after that probably but hopefully some times like those under Mackay might be doable again in the distant future. It will only ever be after these lot have gone and someone comes in to clean up the mess though.

Camera was on the Riverside back then as well for some of those good times, because it was closed B)

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

Dont know how old you are but these are some of my memories of the Riverside

image_v_Derby_1986.png

Riverside.jpg

and a bonus point for those, of a certain age, naming the Rovers player and the opposition in the Black & White pic

John Connelly against Leeds with Gary Sprake in goal.

John Connelly but not sure who against. He signed for us at the beginning of the 1966/67 season, so would never have played Leeds. My guess is against Bury.

Yep, you are right. 50 years is some time to think back !

Is the keeper not an ex Rover in Neil Ramsbottom ?

• Like 1

Yep, you are right. 50 years is some time to think back !

Is the keeper not an ex Rover in Neil Ramsbottom ?

I worked with Neil for a short time about 15 years ago now - gave him a copy of the programme from a match he played in against Santos, for Plymouth I think.

Not seen him around for a while...

I worked with Neil for a short time about 15 years ago now - gave him a copy of the programme from a match he played in against Santos, for Plymouth I think.

Not seen him around for a while...

Neil Ramsbottom was brought up on Clinton Street down Daisyfield, his family lived next door to my grandparents. We knew him as "Uncle Neil" as kids used to call family friends or neighbours Uncle or Aunty. To think he used to take us over on the Daisyfield rec (still there as part of the Daisyfield school grounds) and me and my brother take shots in him in goal. A nice family from my memory.

Edited by pk1875
  • Like 1

Neil Ramsbottom was brought up on Clinton Street down Daisyfield, his family lived next door to my grandparents. We knew him as "Uncle Neil" as kids used to call family friends or neighbours Uncle or Aunty. To think he used to take us over on the Daisyfield rec (still there as part of the Daisyfield school grounds) and me and my brother take shots in him in goal. A nice family from my memory.

Neil's dad was my Aunt's window cleaner. I think his name was Alf.

• Like 1

The pitch has had a slope for years - nothing new there.