BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] People With Connections To Rovers

I remember being so proud of Noel in the home internationals, when summariser, George Best, of all people, referred to "Noel Brotherston's magic"..

It was great to hear him mentioned and nice he's down in history for that. We didn't have much interest club wise back then but I remember him going on a run and hitting the bar in an international, no idea who against though. That got us handful of Rovers fans buzzing the next day 'did you see Brotherstons shot' :lol:

Other kids went on about Stapleton or whoever etc etc and all we had was the odd cameo at international level from good old Noel to cling too !

We don't know we are born these days..........

It was great to hear him mentioned and nice he's down in history for that. We didn't have much interest club wise back then but I remember him going on a run and hitting the bar in an international, no idea who against though. That got us handful of Rovers fans buzzing the next day 'did you see Brotherstons shot' :lol:

Other kids went on about Stapleton or whoever etc etc and all we had was the odd cameo at international level from good old Noel to cling too !

We don't know we are born these days..........

These days.....all we've got is Corry Evans or Shane Duffy!!!

These days.....all we've got is Corry Evans or Shane Duffy!!!

But when I was a kid the absolute only international we had was Brotherston probably until Shearer came along unless you count ex internationals lol

Even old Noel was only bit part really even Burnley had more and they were seriously crap then :lol:

But when I was a kid the absolute only international we had was Brotherston probably until Shearer came along unless you count ex internationals lol

Even old Noel was only bit part really even Burnley had more and they were seriously crap then :lol:

I know but it was the these days comment that struck me........it was not like 20 years ago when we had 6 in the England squad!

But we had Noel and he was the king of Ewood Park! :rover:

• 2 weeks later...

I see tonight we have manager Chris Coleman, studio pundit Craig Bellamy and pitch-side pundit Mark Hughes.

Now I wonder who they used to play for.

You mean Mark Bowen on the commentary? Whilst he did not play for us, he coached here.

• Moderation Lead

You mean Mark Bowen on the commentary? Whilst he did not play for us, he coached here.

Some unbelievable levels of bias from him last night!

• Moderation Lead

There always is for home nation games. Winds me up when commentators can't be objective on what they see.

When he said, bold as brass 'I just don't know how Portugal are in the lead', I couldn't believe it! Those two goals perhaps, Mark?

I know but it was the these days comment that struck me........it was not like 20 years ago when we had 6 in the England squad!

But we had Noel and he was the king of Ewood Park! :rover:

I think Noel died in May 1995. About a week later, I bumped into Jimmy Quinn who was player manager of Reading at the time. Reading were up north for a match and I got talking to Jimmy and he was totally overcome by Noel's death, really down about it. I think they may have played together for Northern Ireland - not sure. I remember Quinn playing for NI against England when he was at Rovers.

Anyway, we had a good chat and he wished me good luck for our next match - it happened to be at Anfield 14th May 1995 - what a day!!

By the way, did you know Jimmy Quinn played in the football league div 1 for Swindon at the age of 40 and for Nantwich Town at the age of 44!!

Archived