BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England's Next Manager?

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst the messageboards in the rest of the country go into meltdown 'we' on Brfcc are happy with the appointment, he'll be great for England? just what we need? some on you lot have short memories, have lobotomies been on offer in Blackburn this week?

Nobody can tell me that appointing Allardyce is in anyway a forward step, its very much a backward step, even Steve McClaren has a better record than Allardyce and we know how that worked out.

Once again the FA have bottled it, they had the chance to appoint a progressive up and coming manager like Howe, a manager with new ideas that has produced outstanding results in the short term, but no lets got for a manager thats been managing for 25yrs+ and has never won a bean, not a bl00dy thing, but he once finished 5th with Bolton :blink:

Its a backward step that will end in tears, because England fans and press won't put up one trick ponies that can't win away from home.

Mark my words.

• Moderation Lead

Whilst the messageboards in the rest of the country go into meltdown 'we' on Brfcc are happy with the appointment, he'll be great for England? just what we need? some on you lot have short memories, have lobotomies been on offer in Blackburn this week?

Nobody can tell me that appointing Allardyce is in anyway a forward step, its very much a backward step, even Steve McClaren has a better record than Allardyce and we know how that worked out.

Once again the FA have bottled it, they had the chance to appoint a progressive up and coming manager like Howe, a manager with new ideas that has produced outstanding results in the short term, but no lets got for a manager thats been managing for 25yrs+ and has never won a bean, not a bl00dy thing, but he once finished 5th with Bolton :blink:

Its a backward step that will end in tears, because England fans and press won't put up one trick ponies that can't win away from home.

Mark my words.

Jermaine Jenas on Steve McLaren- 'Lovely guy and a great coach, but when he was manager he couldn't handle the disconnect from the players and always wanted to be their mate'.

Kevin Nolan on Sam Allardyce- 'the way he understands the game, and the scientific approach means he is very proactive'. Sam's like a father figure to me in the football game. He brought me through, nurtured me and gave me a clip around the ear when I needed it.'

Aaron Cresswell on Sam Allardyce- I’ve a lot to credit him for, he brought me to the club and I can’t speak any more highly of the year I worked under him’.

Getting a foreign player for the England team would be cheating and imo, it's the same for a manager. I think in the future, Howe could be a good shout for the job, but not at this stage of his career, I don't think he'd fancy it anyhow yet.

I don't expect I'll ever convince you of anything relating to Sam Allardyce, Gav. But I couldn't disagree with your post more strongly.

Mark my words.

Absolutely spot on. A terrible manager in my view compared to some out there, who would have jumped at this job. To me Allardyce talks pure bunkum most of the time and granted he would have probably done better for us, then some of the idiots we had, but I hated him.

Allardyce is a fantastic club manager who we were incredibly lucky to have.

Some Rovers fans have short memories. They slag off Allardyce, the man who saved us from relegation and re-established us as a top half Premier League side.

Look where we've been since he left - and don't talk about how we 'should have hired someone else' - Big Sam did it all with barely any investment, and would have been the perfect man to continue in the role.

I'm reading someone above say they 'hated him' and that he 'talks bunkum'. He can talk all the bunkum he likes if he gets results and builds a squad that would run through brick walls for him.

Will he do well at England? I don't know, international football is extremely different and it's a poisoned chalice of sorts. Let's hope he does.

Not winning is er LOSING

Achieving promotion and top 10 with West Ham was far from 'losing' to me, as was his dramatic turnaround at Sunderland. He saved them from certain relegation - how is that 'losing'? Was he meant to win the league?

By that logic, Mark Hughes' failure to win us a league or cup marks him down as a failure, which of course is utter drivel.

I don't profess to have the same opinion all the time as everyone happy to acknowledge that plenty of fans did like Allardyce. When I say I hated him, I don't know him personally, but I hated his style of football. I have never wanted to watch Rovers play that style and yes I hate where we are now more. He did talk bunkum in my view, quite a lot and pasted below is a very good example of that.

Mark my words.

I seem to remember saying the same phrase to people when big Sam left, those celebrating "the death of hoofball"...

As khod said, I couldn't disagree with you more. Howe winning the second tier makes him a better choice? Nonsense.

Allardyce is a fantastic club manager who we were incredibly lucky to have.

Some Rovers fans have short memories. They slag off Allardyce, the man who saved us from relegation and re-established us as a top half Premier League side.

Look where we've been since he left - and don't talk about how we 'should have hired someone else' - Big Sam did it all with barely any investment, and would have been the perfect man to continue in the role.

I'm reading someone above say they 'hated him' and that he 'talks bunkum'. He can talk all the bunkum he likes if he gets results and builds a squad that would run through brick walls for him.

Will he do well at England? I don't know, international football is extremely different and it's a poisoned chalice of sorts. Let's hope he does.

Achieving promotion and top 10 with West Ham was far from 'losing' to me, as was his dramatic turnaround at Sunderland. He saved them from certain relegation - how is that 'losing'? Was he meant to win the league?

By that logic, Mark Hughes' failure to win us a league or cup marks him down as a failure, which of course is utter drivel.

Give you a clue winner is someone who wins .. 2nd is first loser .

• Backroom

Allardyce is the kind of manager who is made for tournament football imo. Look at the quarters and semis he got his teams to.

While some may argue that is losing, England have won once and come third twice in major tournaments in all our time.

If Allardyce gets us to a semi-final after our pathetic showings since 1996, he'll be our most successful manager in that time. I even believe he'd be more likely to win us games, such are the extra miles he gets out of defensive players in particular.

Brilliant! Very pleased for Allardyce. Bet the Sunderland fans are fed up.

Not good enough for the Rovers owners and many of our fans, but good enough for England. You could fit on a postage stamp what some of those know about football.

After the wimpering indecision of the clueless Hodgson it will be pleasing to have a confident, aggressive manager that players respond to.

Someone tell the Venkys. Highlights the stupidity of the decision to sack him at Rovers even more.

Brilliant! Very pleased for Allardyce. Bet the Sunderland fans are fed up.

Not good enough for the Rovers owners and many of our fans, but good enough for England. You could fit on a postage stamp what some of those know about football.

After the wimpering indecision of the clueless Hodgson it will be pleasing to have a confident, aggressive manager that players respond to.

Someone tell the Venkys. Highlights the stupidity of the decision to sack him at Rovers even mor

The clueless Hodgson who had us playing fantastic football, until Tim Sherwood upset the apple cart. I have to say that your comment about the postage stamp is pretty apt.

Give you a clue winner is someone who wins .. 2nd is first loser .

So Hughes is also a loser? Souness was a loser in his first full season where we only finished 2nd?

Allardyce wins football matches and has teams performing above their capabilities. Calling him a 'loser' just makes you look like you know absolutely sod all about football.

The clueless Hodgson who had us playing fantastic football, until Tim Sherwood upset the apple cart. I have to say that your comment about the postage stamp is pretty apt.

Not to be nitpicky, but that video only shows the Wednesday goals! Love watching the highlights of that game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmhmVFj-Unc

Your basing Hodgsons record at the Rovers as a measure of his abilities and as a tool to pop at me? Amusing.

All Sherwoods fault? He was one of 26 in a squad and it was the managers job to manage him.

Hodgson was sacked at the Rovers for being completely crap and setting us on the road to relegation. His purchases at that time were nothing short of stark raving bonkers. Spin that how you wish.

So Hughes is also a loser? Souness was a loser in his first full season where we only finished 2nd?

Allardyce wins football matches and has teams performing above their capabilities. Calling him a 'loser' just makes you look like you know absolutely sod all about football.

Not to be nitpicky, but that video only shows the Wednesday goals! Love watching the highlights of that game.

Sorry I hadn't realised. I was there that night and we played the best football I have seen for ages. We were terrific that season and for someone to suggest that Hodgson was clueless is amazing. He lost the dressing room the following season sadly, as Tim Sherwoood, ironically the current captain, demanded a move to Spurs, that Hodgson tried to block. His agent the greasy slimy Eric Hall, ensured it went through though. Sherwood disrupted the dressing to such an extent, that Hodgson lost it and was sacked for a poor start to the season. I still consider Roy to be one of the best managers around, at that time and a very knowledgeable man.

Sorry I hadn't realised. I was there that night and we played the best football I have seen for ages. We were terrific that season and for someone to suggest that Hodgson was clueless is amazing. He lost the dressing room the following season sadly, as Tim Sherwoood, ironically the current captain, demanded a move to Spurs, that Hodgson tried to block. His agent the greasy slimy Eric Hall, ensured it went through though. Sherwood disrupted the dressing to such an extent, that Hodgson lost it and was sacked for a poor start to the season. I still consider Roy to be one of the best managers around, at that time and a very knowledgeable man.

Being honest, I was probably too young to know what happened. I was only 6 at the time, so I went to the odd game and watched the season highlights on VHS, but that's it.

I'd argue things started going wrong just after Christmas. From Boxing Day onwards our form was wretched, and this seemed to continue into the following season.

I don't know whether Sherwood caused the disruption, but it seemed that the rot had set in from the turn of 1998

Your basing Hodgsons record at the Rovers as a measure of his abilities and as a tool to pop at me? Amusing.

All Sherwoods fault? He was one of 26 in a squad and it was the managers job to manage him.

Hodgson was sacked at the Rovers for being completely crap and setting us on the road to relegation. His purchases at that time were nothing short of stark raving bonkers. Spin that how you wish.

No I am no doing that at al, no need to have a pop a anyonel. If you think Allardyce is as good a manager as Hodgson, that is up to you. I know what I saw a Ewood with my own eyes and Hodgsons record speaks for itself.

https://tomkinstimes.com/2010/11/roys-hodgsons-managerial-record/

Being honest, I was probably too young to know what happened. I was only 6 at the time, so I went to the odd game and watched the season highlights on VHS, but that's it.

I'd argue things started going wrong just after Christmas. From Boxing Day onwards our form was wretched, and this seemed to continue into the following season.

I don't know whether Sherwood caused the disruption, but it seemed that the rot had set in from the turn of 1998

If you read through the reports available from that era and talk to the fans who are old enough to know, you will find that most fans thought a lot of Hodgson and certainly admired. his style of play. I am supposed to have had pop at someone for calling him clueless, believe me he isn't.

No I am no doing that at al, no need to have a pop a anyonel. If you think Allardyce is as good a manager as Hodgson, that is up to you. I know what I saw a Ewood with my own eyes and Hodgsons record speaks for itself.

https://tomkinstimes.com/2010/11/roys-hodgsons-managerial-record/

I saw Hodgsons team with my own eyes as well.

I think you actually answered my argument for me. Very weak manager, completely indecisive, who only lost his job due to an unruly player (your words not mine). Like I say, very weak.

This story sums up what happened between Hodgson and Sherwood very well and is just as I recall it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2530560/I-dont-problem-Roy-Hodgson-insists-Spurs-boss-Tim-Sherwood-new-Spurs-boss-thanks-Daniel-Levy-putting-faith-him.html

I saw Hodgsons team with my own eyes as well.

I think you actually answered my argument for me. Very weak manager, completely indecisive, who only lost his job due to an unruly player (your words not mine). Like I say, very weak.

Nonsense

Archived