BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England's Next Manager?

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stephen Gerrard is blaming the media expectations for the fear that the England squad show. What expectations? We're pretty poor

Soft buggers

He probably has a point (not particularly the current bunch but certainly when he played for England) in respect of them being over hyped. But does he seriously think it is any different for the players of France, Germany, Italy, Spain etc etc

He was referring to THIS squad. No mention of his utter and abject international failings

Well, even at half time in the Iceland game the pundits on telly were still talking like it was almost a formality that England would still progress, and then in just about every subsequent game, they somehow managed to mention England. Maybe I notice it more because my Scots work colleagues point it out to me but the English media do have an over inflated sense of the quality of our players, and they did build expectations up (even if Joe Average in the pub was more realistic, which I think he was this time around)

International manager needs one quality. He needs to be able to turn a group of players into more than the sum of its parts. Big Sam does that.

He also spots weakness in opposing teams. I remember one game against Chelsea Diouf matched up against Ashley Cole. We spent the entire afternoon pinging balls to Diouf and he beat him to the header every time. We got a point out of a game we had no right to,

We'll never know but I think he'd have found a weakness in all the teams at Euro 2016. My biggest fear will be the players not respecting him because if we lose one game the press will go after him and I can see him doing a Mike Bassett reciting Rudyard Kipling's IF.

Can't blame Sunderland for being angry that the FA are messing up their pre-season.

Same for Bournemouth though I haven't heard them complain.

Get on with it, appoint someone and let the others return to their clubs.

Re Howe, massively inexperienced compared to Allardyce and it shouldn't really be in the balance.

A major reason for why England fail at international level-----the utter amateurishness of the FA.

I suspect Burnley will once again get lucky and manage to keep hold of Dyche for another season, with Sunderland considering him but eventually going elsewhere. If it comes down to a toss up between him and Moyes I expect Moyes' CV and Sunderland's fan base would both have their board leaning towards Moyes rather than Dyche.

Its frustrating because when we had Souness and Hughes doing well for us we only enjoyed the fruits of that for 2-3 seasons before they moved on and were seemingly linked away from the club repeatedly, yet Dyche has worked miracles there for 3 years + and still nobody else has gone in for him.

I had it on good authority that he was on the verge of the Sunderland job before Advocaat changed his mind about retiring. These days its all about an appointment that will get the fans excited, and whatever we think about Dyche he's not an appointment that will get fans flocking down to the ticket office. Sunderland will probably want more high profile e.g. Moyes or foreign.

I suspect Burnley will once again get lucky and manage to keep hold of Dyche for another season, with Sunderland considering him but eventually going elsewhere. If it comes down to a toss up between him and Moyes I expect Moyes' CV and Sunderland's fan base would both have their board leaning towards Moyes rather than Dyche.

Its frustrating because when we had Souness and Hughes doing well for us we only enjoyed the fruits of that for 2-3 seasons before they moved on and were seemingly linked away from the club repeatedly, yet Dyche has worked miracles there for 3 years + and still nobody else has gone in for him.

I had it on good authority that he was on the verge of the Sunderland job before Advocaat changed his mind about retiring. These days its all about an appointment that will get the fans excited, and whatever we think about Dyche he's not an appointment that will get fans flocking down to the ticket office. Sunderland will probably want more high profile e.g. Moyes or foreign.

To be fair I think that's because Hughes and Souness had much better records when they left Rovers than Dyche has now. Not doing Dyche down, he has done a great job on limited resources, but it pales in comparison to Souness and Hughes who regularly lead teams into Europe and attracted top players.

Allardyce for England seems an obvious choice now. I am genuinely intrigued by it. I wonder what he will do with the team? Andy Caroll up front and lump it to him? I think he will be more subtle than that, but I am not sure what it will entail? Definitely won't be as limp as Hodgson's team.

Still think Sam would be a poor appointment, is he any better than hodgson? No!

Of all football fans, I am astonished that a Rovers fan can make that claim.

One saved us from certain relegation, the other was sending us down-----with a better team!

That article a few posts up states that Sam would be keen to reappoint G Neville - a move that would be unpopular with the players.

Is old G Nev not too popular within the England ranks then? Interesting.

I am not surprised. Neville has achieved nothing as a coach or manager. Amazed Sam wants him but it must be part of the deal.

I think it's worth trying out big Sam; if it fails, then, 18 months down the drain.

Part of the problem is the fear of failure attitude, so, we've seen some successful qualifying campaigns but it does end there though this last time? 10 and 0, that's actually very good.

6 years ago or even after '06; I'm not a big Redknapp fan, I'm not one at all; but maybe just in my view, he could have done the job well.

Maybe my point is not in bringing up Redknapp, controversial subject in its own, I'm saying let's not waste an opportunity; let's not wait until big Sam is 68 years old and then, give him a chance.

That's what that writer Glanville said, Hodgson should have been put in charge in '94 not 15 years later.

Archived