BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England's Next Manager?

The balls to break tradition chaddy.

Allardyce offers nothing different to Hodgson or MacClaren, in fact his CV and record is worse than both of them, its a recipe that just doesn't work.

Thats the issue.

I respectful disagree with you.

International management should be someone in late 50/60's.

For me its more about tactics and man management than Coaching.

Howe will be good England manager but for me in 10/15 years time.

Big Sam is the Right choice for me. But 10 years too late. Should have been appoint after Sven not McClaren.

Sir Alex Ferguson has recommended Sam Allardyce for the job to David Gill according to media reports. This is best manager in 30 years.

Plus havent Sir Alex and Mourinho said international football is for a manager towards the end of their career?

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Allardyce has ever had the chance to manage "better players". What I have seen is him getting good years out of old rope that was Hierro, Campo, and Okocha at Bolton. Then turning a shambles of a Rovers team into a tough, hard to beat outfit in the space of 3 months.

As JH says above; his negatives are a product of the media. He was able to wind up Benitez, Mourinho, and Arsene Wenger up every year not endearing him to the party line toed by the establishment.

Tarring him as a long ball merchant is wrong. He plays to a system with the players at his disposal.

Howe undoubtedly has promise. But he needs to spend more time managing first.

Sir Alex Ferguson has recommended Sam Allardyce for the job to David Gill according to media reports.

What on Earth has the England job got to do with RFW? Are we having Scotsmen advising the English FA now?

You do realise that Scotland are in England's world cup qualifying group don't you? lol

The world has gone mad (if true).

No, you don't have to post on this thread if you don't want to jbizzle, its not compulsory.

I could ask you about the "better players he's failed time and time again with" or the "failure/poor football week in week out at Ewood" but what's the point? You'll only ignore the facts presented to make a comment like the above!

Allardyce would make a good England manager, and he's earned his chance. Anything contradictory is bunkum :)

I wouldn't have Big Sam on the basis that I don't think he's one of the best managers in the world and in my opinion that's what the FA should be going for, regardless of nationality.

However if he does have to be English then I think Sam's earned the right given all the clubs he's saved, turned around and in Bolton's case just propelled continually upwards. And I'd be pleased for him because of the Rovers connection, he was brilliant here in a climate where the Trust were basically having a yard sale with his squad.

I could ask you about the "better players he's failed time and time again with" or the "failure/poor football week in week out at Ewood" but what's the point? You'll only ignore the facts presented to make a comment like the above!

Allardyce would make a good England manager, and he's earned his chance. Anything contradictory is bunkum :)

You jumped into the debate by saying 'Do we need to keep going over....' And I told you no we don't, dead simple.

This isn't aimed at you alone jbizzle but it's insulting to every Blackburn Rovers fan that sat through Allardyces tenure to try and rewrite history and say he's England material.

He's nowhere near where we want to be from an international side point of view.

You jumped into the debate by saying 'Do we need to keep going over....' And I told you no we don't, dead simple.

This isn't aimed at you alone jbizzle but it's insulting to every Blackburn Rovers fan that sat through Allardyces tenure to try and rewrite history and say he's England material.

He's nowhere near where we want to be from an international side point of view.

Because the hoof ball thing is a fallacy, that's why! Ask Benitez what the definition of direct football is.

Being a season ticket holder for those seasons, if I am to take you at your word, I'd be insulting myself. I sat and watch big Sam dig us out of a bloody deep hole then build on that with finishing top 10 year after. What was the expectation? Champions league? He got a better outcome than the sum of the parts.

What do we want from an international point of view? I'm not one of those who thinks he should only be English but I do think Big Sam is the best choice of those of that nationality! That's an opinion no amount of old sour grapes Wenger/Mourinho comment will change.

I think it was JHR who made the point, the only reason people have ever dismissed big Sam is media agenda. His "brand" of football is not different enough to be called "anti-football" but whatever suits...

• Backroom

So I take that as Sam's main asset is, that he can motivate average players, into being hard working average players. I don't think his main asset will work at international level.

Erm...Portugal (winners) and Iceland (literal minnows) thrived on that very concept. Working harder will outshine talent every time.

every Blackburn Rovers fan that sat through Allardyces tenure to try and rewrite history and say he's England material.

Personally I really enjoyed Big Sam's time in charge - turning up to Ewood knowing it was very unlikely we were going to lose regardless of who we were playing, 26,000 average attendance, top 10 in his only full season in charge, great stuff.

Even better when you look at what preceded it (Ince) and especially the horrible 5 and a half years we've had since he was sacked.

especially the horrible 5 and a half years we've had since he was sacked.

This.

I have friends who STILL defend the "fist pump" after his removal, though many Facebook posts have been removed. People should admit they got it wrong, especially since BS has since done 3 more notable things - West Ham promotion, stabilised season after, Sunderland saved from Relegation.

If we are talking about foreign choices, we'd need someone who commands the respect of modern millionaire players, knows the strengths of our pool and has experience winning trophies...

I can't think of any. Look what happens to van Gaal...

Big Sam is a decent choice if you ask me.

Plays better football than most give him credit for, its a shame that some Rovers fans still cant see past the media hoofball rubbish, and give him some credit for his achievements in taking over a team as good as down, and improving it massively with very little funding. His tactical knowledge is very good, and he has always been forward thinking in terms of his sports science set-ups.

Not too many contenders for the job, very few top managers want to go into international management nowadays.

Nobody can tell me that the monotonous, pointless, pedestrian passing moves that typified England (and a good number of other countries) is good to watch. On the whole it was a dreadful tournament as a footballing spectacle with a handful of good games. Entertaining passing football isn't easy to get right and on the many occasions it's got wrong, it's pretty much the most boring thing in the world.

Personally I'd rather watch teams who aren't afraid to get it into the box and use a target man. France were one of the better teams to watch and tge Giroud/Griezmann combo worked in exactly the same way as Kalinic/Dunn when Sam was here. I didn't hear a single mention of hoofball regarding France, why? Because to quote the Wolf of Wall Street it's all a fugazi. Hoofball is an illogical, ill-defined, highly subjective concept applied to basically who the media say it applies to. And I'm afraid to say there's a lot of sheep out there who swallow it whole.

Personally I really enjoyed Big Sam's time in charge - turning up to Ewood knowing it was very unlikely we were going to lose regardless of who we were playing, 26,000 average attendance, top 10 in his only full season in charge, great stuff.

Even better when you look at what preceded it (Ince) and especially the horrible 5 and a half years we've had since he was sacked.

Ewood with limited budget and average players is one thing, but England with decent talent is something else completely frosty.

He's never won anything, and turning the Englamd side into hoof ball will also win nothing.

We should have an Englishman as England manager.

shouldnt have a foriegn manager for.

Look at the massive mistakes and the waste of money that Sven and Capello were

On that basis we should have a bowyer over a mourinho, don't think so

Ewood with limited budget and average players is one thing, but England with decent talent is something else completely frosty.

He's never won anything, and turning the Englamd side into hoof ball will also win nothing.

How do you know that Big Sam would play long ball football?

Archived