SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England's Next Manager?

• Moderation Lead

Bunkum

Newcastle?

West Ham?

Blackburn Rovers?

Newcastle- there about 5 minutes, then he was unceremoniously sacked.

West Ham- got them promoted, then stabilised them and was sacked. (Granted appointing Bilic was a risk that paid off).

Rovers- I don't think we need to go over old ground again on that score.....

I know you don't like the guy and that's fair enough, but your criticism of Allardyce and defence of Hodgson is still a little baffling to me.

Hodgson hasn't won anything in any proper leagues and failed in 2 UEFA cup finals as manager of Fulham and Inter.....

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Van gaal would be the perfect manager, takes no @#/? of the press, a record of bringing youth through. Gets results, isn't afraid to upset the players

I thought about that, I wonder if his last season at united granted they won the cup but played some real dross would inbetween.

West Ham- got them promoted, then stabilised them and was sacked. (Granted appointing Bilic was a risk that paid off).

I know you don't like the guy and that's fair enough, but your criticism of Allardyce and defence of Hodgson is still a little baffling to me.

Hodgson hasn't won anything in any proper leagues and failed in 2 UEFA cup finals as manager of Fulham and Inter.....

To take one clear example, look at Kevin Davies under Roy and Kevin Davies playing for Sam.

To take another, Roy started the rot that a saw us relegated, Sam saved us from certain relegation.

There really is no comparison.

To take one clear example, look at Kevin Davies under Roy and Kevin Davies playing for Sam.

To take another, Roy started the rot that a saw us relegated, Sam saved us from certain relegation.

There really is no comparison.

So I take that as Sam's main asset is, that he can motivate average players, into being hard working average players. I don't think his main asset will work at international level.

Can't believe people still spew the Mourinho and Wenger sour grapes bile when talking about Big Sam.

Now there is an England manager who will play to our strengths and get the best out the team we have!

Can't believe people still spew the Mourinho and Wenger sour grapes bile when talking about Big Sam.

Now there is an England manager who will play to our strengths and get the best out the team we have!

Agreed. The FA will be worried about the style, id hope he adapted to the players he had.

Will have to do better away from home than he did for Rovers and subsequent teams though :P

So I take that as Sam's main asset is, that he can motivate average players, into being hard working average players. I don't think his main asset will work at international level.

Well if that's what you think, fair enough but nothing I wrote says anything of the kind.

Sadly I cheered when Sam was shipped out of Ewood, what an idiot I was. If now is not the time for Sam then is never will be, we are at an all time low as far as our national team in concerned and we need a nonsense manager.

I don't care about the style of football, I mean how many Englands games are there a season 10 or 12? Do we really think Sam would have let us lose to Iceland, not a chance.

I still think the FA will bottle it but my vote is for Sam.

We're talking about Allardyce not Hodgson, and Allardyce hasn't won a thing in 21yrs as a manger.

I now agree, he'll fit perfectly as the new England manager :blink:

If we want a winner look not further than Guus Hiddink

If we want and English manager, look at Eddie Howie, relatively new to management, attacking style and new ideas.

There's no English manager currently working that has 'won something of note' in his career, apart from Steve McClaren, and what a choice that one turnout out to be.

Allardyce has been promoted numerous times, as has Steve Bruce, Sean Dyche and Eddie Howe, but Allardyce's experience and track record in the Premier League is vastly superior to those other 3. Bruce is steady but has been relegated twice, Dyche failed miserably in his one season in the top flight, Howe is still very young and has only ever managed one season in the top league and needs to prove himself at a bigger club than Bournemouth before he should be considered. He's in his comfort zone with Bournemouth at a club that he's been at most of his career but there's no evidence that he has the capability of doing it in a more high pressure environment.

Allardyce is portrayed negatively by the media because he doesn't fit the Sky Sports era image of exotic continental managers. That's part of the reason English football is in the state it is today, because the top clubs are constantly encouraged to look abroad for coaches and players rather than at home. Its seen as sexy to have an Italian, Spaniard or Portuguese in the dugout than a Brummie, Scouser or Geordie.

Allardyce would very quickly decide which his strongest team was and would find a system that worked from that. Anyone that didn't follow his instructions would be out of the team, no messing.

I still doubt the FA would appoint him though, because they've got another agenda altogether, more concerned with selling tickets and sponsorship and 'looking good' than appointing the best qualified man for the job.

As far as I'm concerned we have to appoint an Englishman to manage England. If we go foreign again then it sends all the wrong signals and will further inhibit the development of home grown managers. Appointing a Frenchman or German to manage England is a scandalous idea.

Allardyce should be appointed England manager.

I've said it numerous times on here. He's perfect for England. He plays to a system, has a plan, and can motivate players.

To slight him because he's not won anything is ludicrous. Very few English managers have. The top clubs in England employ foreigners as it's all part of their "global reach".

Brain Clough never got the England job due to his personality. I hope that the FA will brush off any perceived long ball nonsense and appoint him.

Howe is too young. It will ruin him.

I'm going to bite ...

Why is he a good fit as international manager ?

Gameplan A ... Boot it up to Carroll

Game plan B .. Boot it up to Carrol

I honestly can't see any international player having any respect for a dirty owd centre back at club level.

Plan A and B were exactly what was needed against Iceland. But Woy left him at home for no minutes Ross Barkley.

Allardyce has proven over a 20 year mostly top flight managerial career that players respect him. I think Ryan Nelsen said that he makes players feel 10 feet tall. That's England's problem. He'll fix it.

Plan A and B were exactly what was needed against Iceland. But Woy left him at home for no minutes Ross Barkley.

Allardyce has proven over a 20 year mostly top flight managerial career that players respect him. I think Ryan Nelsen said that he makes players feel 10 feet tall. That's England's problem. He'll fix it.

I would still prefer a team that felt like normal sized, footballers!

It's a results business, he gets results. People don't like the football and that's fair enough, but I'm not sure there is anyone else English who'd do better at a tournament than Allardyce with England.

Beggars can't be choosers.....

You need the footballers to be able to do the job unfortunately the English look way behind standards around the world of football.

We need more young migrants to come in and raise our game.

Klinsmann is hit and miss, Howe is way too young and inexperienced, Hoddle may have been out of coaching too long, Wenger is a spent force, Southgate and Bruce are joke candidates.............so I guess that will just leave Sam Allardyce. He'll probably be a good tournament manager, as the team will be organised and ready to grind the results out like Iceland, Portugal and Norn Iron. Whether the team can then make that step to beat the top teams is where the guesswork comes in.

Hodgson managed England like he did Rovers all those years ago and same as Liverpool more recently. When his teams on top it's ok but when not he's absolutely no idea, over complicates things and is another square pegs in round holes man.

Hodgson managed England like he did Rovers all those years ago and same as Liverpool more recently. When his teams on top it's ok but when not he's absolutely no idea, over complicates things and is another square pegs in round holes man.

Hodgson was great in his first season here i thought, some great football, some very good players, but once he'd lost the dressing room he lost the plot and was eventually sacked as we all know.

Jack famously went into the dressing room and b0llocked the players once he'd sacked him, he laid the blame firmly at the doorstep of the players.

The good old days :tu:

Archived