BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England's Next Manager?

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a team of players with a bit of skill but no brains or minerals. The defence was pretty disorganised in the Euros, and the tactics were at times a bit weird. So therefore the ideal candidate needs to be a motivator and someone who can organise a team. If the manager has to be English, Sam is the best at that. Hoddle is a fruitloop who didn't do too well at Wolves last time he managed 8 years ago. Bruce is bang average and Eddie Howe has only had 1 season in the top flight with Bournemouth. Perhaps he should be the next manager after this appointment.

For all those who say Sam's football is crap, he'll never make it and so on, look at how Italy, Iceland, Wales and Portugal did. All were organised, knew how they were supposed to play and fought like hell. Where were the Spanish demi-Gods we were all supposed to worship? Croatia didn't live up to their billing in the end either.

If it is to be a foreigner, I'm not sure about Hiddink. Holland did not qualify (though that maybe down to when Blind took over), he seems to be more interested in short term jobs seeing as he's 69 and I think like Hodgson he's probably a bit too nice. I'm not convinced about Klinsmann either. He seems to be a good motivator, but he doesn't strike me as a tactician. A sort of German Kevin Keegan. Pochetino of Spurs, Billic of Whammers or Simeone would be the ideal candidates. However, they're all unrealistic. Maybe Marcelo Biesla would be interested now he has free time and Lazio are suing him for 50 million Euros.

Its not unfair at all, but I agree with the lemonade v lemons analogy, he's very good at getting more out of average players, but when he's managed better players he's fallen flat on his arse time and time again.

But it doesn't matter what I think, or what I witnessed week in week out whilst he was here, its down to the FA, if they want that crock Andy Carroll running the front line and the ball being punted into the box at every opportunity then great, get the deal done.

You made a good shout a few weeks back Neal, Eddie Howe, attacking football, young and innovative, head and shoulders a better candidate than Allardyce.

No, you don't have to post on this thread if you don't want to jbizzle, its not compulsory.

@#/?. Do you forget he managed Jay-Jay Okocha and he was absolutely sensational for Bolton? He was able to rewind the clock on seemingly finished careers of some serious greats in the game.

If Andy Carroll had been brought on agaisnt Iceland and we were lofting the ball up to him and he was bullying defenders, going toe to toe with them, knock downs for midfielders to run onto, ricochets and scrambles in the box and just trying to create bedlam then that would have been bloody exciting as far as I'm concerned!

Better than watching Rooney try (and fail) to ping worldies out to the wing and up front when he's space in front of him to run into, whilst the rest of the midfield area play their own alternate version of football where the sole aim is to keep possession regardless of which way theyre going. By the end of the tournament I'd imagine some of them has forgotten what the purpose of that big net thing was 50 yards away at the side of the pitch.

Remind me who the big lump playing up top last season scoring goals under Allardyce was?

Surely it wasnt that Defoe guy, he's about a foot too short to play for Allardyce.

didn't play that's why last season with little Defoe up front for Sunderland

I'm a massive big Sam fan and hope he gets the job. But don't let Defoe starting up top for Sunderland fool you, everytime I watched them last season they were still very direct. Packing the box on any free kicks inside the opposition half etc, dangerous on set pieces. Typical Big Sam side and it kept them up.

so we are happy to have a manager who is good at relegation avoiding....opposed to a top international ,manager.

i honestly think we will struggle to qualify, we wont finish in the bottom 2 of the group though.

In 2010; Germany played that long ball against England at the World Cup; in this, I wouldn't rule anything out.

England's group F looks doable but it's something to keep in mind.

Group F:

England

Lithuania

Malta

Scotland

Slovakia

Slovenia

I use to read Sam's columns out and about; worth reading if one can find them. Maybe they are on the web somewhere.

I'm a massive big Sam fan and hope he gets the job. But don't let Defoe starting up top for Sunderland fool you, everytime I watched them last season they were still very direct. Packing the box on any free kicks inside the opposition half etc, dangerous on set pieces. Typical Big Sam side and it kept them up.

Direct and an organised threat from set pieces isnt hoofball though.

Sam changed them defensively more than the way they attacked, he stopped them conceding silly goals, fitter and more organised.

I mean god help us if England are more organised, dont concede stupid goals and are a threat from set pieces- that would never do.

He didn't play it last season.

Sorry Baz but yes he did, but he didn't really have much option though, as the side was already more or less assembled.

50000 Newcastle fans know he plays hoofball

30000 West Ham fans know he plays hoofball

20000 Blackburn fans know he plays hoofball

20000 Bolton Fans know he plays hoofball

The odds are he plays hoofball, no conspiracy theories that its somehow sky TV's fault, all these fans witnessed it first hand.

Lets hope he another string to his bow for England.

• Moderation Lead

Hoofball has just become a discrespectful and dismissive way to mock a manager who gets the most out of his squads.

Give me a solid defence and effective set pieces over that crap served up at the last World Cup any day of the week.

Direct and an organised threat from set pieces isnt hoofball though.

Sam changed them defensively more than the way they attacked, he stopped them conceding silly goals, fitter and more organised.

I mean god help us if England are more organised, dont concede stupid goals and are a threat from set pieces- that would never do.

Never said it was hoofball, hence why I'm hoping he gets the job. Howe is too much of a soft touch, I couldn't imagine him having a go at anyone when 2-1 down to Iceland at half time. Big Sam would definitely get stuck into them, but at the same time he's a bloody good manager. Right man for the job.

Hoofball has just become a discrespectful and dismissive way to mock a manager who gets the most out of his squads.

Give me a solid defence and effective set pieces over that crap served up at the last World Cup any day of the week.

bring back john beck

Never said it was hoofball, hence why I'm hoping he gets the job. Howe is too much of a soft touch, I couldn't imagine him having a go at anyone when 2-1 down to Iceland at half time. Big Sam would definitely get stuck into them, but at the same time he's a bloody good manager. Right man for the job.

but will 11 international players listen to a relegation battler?

Some would say he never got the most out of the Newcastle or West Ham squads K-Hod.

As I've already said, keeping sides in the premiership is his forte, he's absolutely brilliant at that and then pushing on, but its never pretty.

He can organise a defense and the players will run through brick walls for him.

I just think you need something different at international level, especially with some of the quality we have in the squad.

It sounds like the jobs his, so we'll see if he can make that step up and get the likes of Wilshire, Ali and co playing through he midfield not bypassing it.

Personally I'd be tempted to bypass our midfield every time at tournament level. We've lots of flat-track bullies who look good against some of the joke teams in qualifying, and lots of players ideally suited to the hustle-bustle of the PL (e.g. Ali) but put them up against the world's best and we're very second rate in terms of technical ability and playing at pace.

bring back john beck

but will 11 international players listen to a relegation battler?

Saved us from relegation, next season we finished 10th was it? Did an unreal job with Bolton. Newcastle he wasn't there long enough. Took West Ham up from the championship and stabilised them in the prem. Saved Sunderland from relegation last season and I imagine they'd have done a lot better this season. A lot more than a relegation battler.

Interesting reading on this thread, I wasn't aware of this site when Sam was at Rovers but I think it's becoming clear which posters were against Sam.

Well I hope you're happy where we are now!

Ask the majority of realistic Bolton or Rovers fans and they will tell you they wish he'd stopped at their club.

West Ham and Sunderland would not be where they are without him.

Newcastle......nobody will be good enough in their eyes, and (using the Lambert argument) surely he didn't have enough time in the position.

Sam is a superb manager and after all the rubbish England have served up over recent years I'd say he would've done much better than all of them.

Hope he gets the job....good luck Big Sam......wish you were still here!!

And as for 'hoofball' , what a load of b@ll@cks!

Sorry Baz but yes he did, but he didn't really have much option though, as the side was already more or less assembled.

50000 Newcastle fans know he plays hoofball

30000 West Ham fans know he plays hoofball

20000 Blackburn fans know he plays hoofball

20000 Bolton Fans know he plays hoofball

The odds are he plays hoofball, no conspiracy theories that its somehow sky TV's fault, all these fans witnessed it first hand.

Lets hope he another string to his bow for England.

Your hilarious Gav, repeating the same thing doesn't make it right. He didn't play hoofball to a big CF at Sunderland, and you know it.

P.s. My mate lives in Sunderland and he says they played far more long ball under Advocaat

Your hilarious Gav, repeating the same thing doesn't make it right. He didn't play hoofball to a big CF at Sunderland, and you know it.

P.s. My mate lives in Sunderland and he says they played far more long ball under Advocaat

We disagree Baz, nowt wrong with that surely.

And lazy. Sam mixed it up.

Given the resources he had here, he had to play the percentages and made Ewood a tough place to come to. However, as Abs intimates away games against better opponents were almost lost causes. It will be interesting to see how he would handle the pressure but I think he is at the stage of his career where he is ready, he has earned it, and most of all it will means something to him - rather than just the coin.

Archived