BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England's Next Manager?

• Backroom

One of Sam's main ways of planning campaigns , has always seemed to be, to target particular games as the ones to win, and not bother to much with the other ones. This is ideal for teams that are not expected to win trophies, but at England level I think, you are expected to win every game. I sincerely hope that he succeeds.

That method is over a full league season.

All he has to do now is target a couple of games every other month ;)

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That method is over a full league season.

All he has to do now is target a couple of games every other month ;)

But that is something that he has not been used to. I am not saying that he will not succeed, just that he is entering unknown territory.

The way Venkys 'luck' is going Big Sam will probably win the chuffing World Cup!

Now that would be embarrassing. Never mind an empty stadium. The Keenan for sale sign would be straight up on the top of the Jack Walker stand if that happened. Can you imagine them walking around Pune and everyone laughing at them 'cause they sacked Big Sam?!

No, neither can I. I'd bet they'd have to check that their giveoshitometer was plugged in. It would be more a case of "Sorry? Sam who?"

Good luck to Sam.

He always wanted to manage a team with an 'embarrassment of riches' but never previously got the opportunity.

He was never my cup of tea but he's always had to manage what was at his disposal and never failed to deliver in a results only format.

One things for sure he'll take no sh1t and I hope he's a resounding success.

FFS we need a feel good factor, be great to chant Engerland again with conviction.........

We've tried everything else and it's not worked since Sir Alf, so maybe Big Sam might be the man to do it. Certainly can't be any worse than what has gone on before.

While I agree with your sentiment I think you're being a bit harsh on Sir Bobby Robson and Terry Venables there PB?

With a bit of luck Robson's teams could have won two world cups and England should have won Euro 96.

While I agree with your sentiment I think you're being a bit harsh on Sir Bobby Robson and Terry Venables there PB?

With a bit of luck Robson's teams could have won two world cups and England should have won Euro 96.

Quite right to pull me up on that. Robson was a good manager in every sense of the word and Venables was more successful than the rest. Sadly, the FA have wasted millions in searching for the right manager in recent years and we still look awful come tournament football.

Big Sam is the right choice.

We don't have world class players in the team so working ball from the back doesn't always work. BS can try a different approach.

I quite agree that we don't have world-class players, the problem is some of them think they are!

Looking forward to seeing Sam as England manager, he's always bemoaned the fact he hasn't been offered one of the top jobs, well now's the chance to show us all what he can do with the "best" players available to choose from.

Didn't enjoy his style of play here or the fact he used to prioritise certain games and give up on others but the latter won't be a problem in an international context as we always know exactly what we need to do,. On the other hand as well, he has always kept things simple and played in a defined way the players understand which should be a vast improvement on Hodgson who obviously didn't have a clue what his best eleven or formation was going into the tournament and the players didn't look as though they knew what they were meant to be doing either.

Overall, more enthusiastic about England now than for a long time with a proper football man in charge who hopefully will tell it how it is as opposed to a politician/blagger/ mercenary along the lines of Sven/Woy/Capello.

With Rooney, Sam will either get him playing properly or drop him from the starting selection, again, losing to Iceland to get Big Sam in charge is a mixed blessing, bad to lose but SA comes in. Cheers! He wouldn't be in there in about any other way.

Good luck to Sam.

He always wanted to manage a team with an 'embarrassment of riches' but never previously got the opportunity.

He was never my cup of tea but he's always had to manage what was at his disposal and never failed to deliver in a results only format.

One things for sure he'll take no sh1t and I hope he's a resounding success.

FFS we need a feel good factor, be great to chant Engerland again with conviction.........

Looking forward to seeing Sam as England manager, he's always bemoaned the fact he hasn't been offered one of the top jobs, well now's the chance to show us all what he can do with the "best" players available to choose from.

Didn't enjoy his style of play here or the fact he used to prioritise certain games and give up on others but the latter won't be a problem in an international context as we always know exactly what we need to do,. On the other hand as well, he has always kept things simple and played in a defined way the players understand which should be a vast improvement on Hodgson who obviously didn't have a clue what his best eleven or formation was going into the tournament and the players didn't look as though they knew what they were meant to be doing either.

Overall, more enthusiastic about England now than for a long time with a proper football man in charge who hopefully will tell it how it is as opposed to a politician/blagger/ mercenary along the lines of Sven/Woy/Capello.

I like this that he said at the end of his beeb interview

"I love finding a person with greater qualities than me in their department and promoting their strengths.

That gives me greater strength to do my job."

I think he is going to do very well

I like this that he said at the end of his beeb interview

"I love finding a person with greater qualities than me in their department and promoting their strengths.[/size]

That gives me greater strength to do my job."

I think he is going to do very well

Can't imagine Mourinho saying that!

Great opening presser from Sam. I could listen to him all day, you learn more in a minute about the game and how it's done than you would in an hour listening to someone like Kean's nonsense.

Agreed. I'd recommend reading his book - it's brilliant and offers a great insight.

Agreed. I'd recommend reading his book - it's brilliant and offers a great insight.

I read the Rovers bit. I'm not generally one for autobiographies, find them boring, self-promoting and poorly written on the whole. I'll always read the Rovers bit if I get one as a present though. Was nice to hear what Savage had to say on us and Sam's bit was interesting too.

Archived