BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England's Next Manager?

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The FA now have a chance to appoint a young manager with new ideas that players football the right way.

Step forward Eddie Howe.

Glad someone is pleased. You and Steve Kean will be the happiest blokes on the planet this evening.

I actually couldn't give a @#/? who they appoint now.

No more "British" managers as they are sh1ite, name one good current one.

We need a good, modern, technically great, European coach.

Agreed, wouldn't give it Howe yet and the list of other candidates is terrible.

Pochettino would be good, doubt he'd leave Spurs though.

• Backroom

Klopp for me. The FA have the brass and he has the charisma and ability.

I like Howe but he's achieved nothing of note and being last Englishman standing shouldn't be amongst the criteria for selection.

No chance of Klopp leaving Liverpool for the England manager's job. For a non-Englishman I can't imagine it's a post worth giving up a job at a top PL club for.

Clearly they are hoping that Southgate impresses in his trial and that a few wins against minnows like Malta and Scotland will provide them with the justification to appoint him permanently. At this stage he's done nothing as a manager so they need him to impress to smooth the transition to appointing him long term.

To be honest I'm past caring. There's no English manager in work that has a CV worthy of managing the national team. If Eddie Howe, Alan Pardew and Steve Bruce are the most qualified Englishmen standing then that says it all about the state of English football. Normally I'd be dead against another foreign manager but all of a sudden the idea seems quite attractive.

I hope the FA are proud of their success in ensuring that English managers and coaches are being stamped out of the English game, now they are reaping the benefits of 20 years+ of flooding English football with glorified foreigners who take all the top jobs at the expense of home grown coaches.

They presumably think giivng the job to a younger man like Southgate or Neville will set an example to the rest of English football when in reality all it will do is highlight what a shocking state English football is in. Probably terminally.

The foreign press will have a field day if one of the people mentioned as a potential England manager is appointed by the FA. Think it's safe to say the DoFA will want to avoid any negative publicity while they bury the current stuff invoving their approved agents and sports agency buddies.

I'd be tempted to look at someone like Villas Boas. Still very young, yet plenty of experience working at the top level and dealing with big pressure day to day with Porto, Chelsea, Spurs and Zenit. Managed in the Premier League, Champions League, won league titles in different countries. Very impressive CV whatever way you look at it.

He knows and understands English football, has worked here as a coach under Mourinho then as a manager in his own right, fluent in the language from his English grandmother.

I just think he might be the wildcard sort of appointment that could do a good job for us. Ticks all the boxes of what we should be after (young, still learning, yet has won stuff and managed big clubs) apart from he's Portuguese, and he's still only in his 30's so his best years ought to be ahead of him.

I'd definitely prefer someone like him over a Bruce or Southgate.

Stuart Pearce and Steve Wiggly.

Ince

Bryan Robson

King David

Fat face Bruce

Colin

Id like to see Arsene have a crack at it.

Failing that... Eddie Howe or Gary Neville (unlikely due to guilt by association).

I'd even welcome Slaven Bilic if West Ham loose patience.

Maybe even think outside the box and hire a former international and a well respected assistant (Phelan or Clement) to lean on (e.g Shearer, Rio). They couldn't do much worse.

Let's face it, there's not a lot to choose from.

Archived