BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England's Next Manager?

• Moderation Lead

The major problem with SA that i can see, is his abilty to win games against the top opposition. If you look at his club career and esp at Rovers-he was excellent at beating the teams below us and around us, but how many times did we beat the bigger/beater teams.

So I can see him easily winning the qualifying group, then winning the group stage at the Wcup with say 7 points from 9, winning a scrapy 2nd round game before loosing in the 1/4 when we finally come up against decent opposition. Still, should be interesting to see anyway...

Sounds like every other England manager in recent memory to me.

We've got our first away game on Sunday, so some people might end up being right. (Or most likely, not).

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

His ability to win games away from home must also be of concern and the fact he's never won anything as a manager in his career, have we ever had an England manager that's never won anything?

Allardyces aim every season in the premiership has always been 40 points, not qualifying for Europe, not winning cups, but 40 points. In no other profession would finishing 4th bottom be tolerated, but due to money, and money alone it's accepted in English football.

Allardyces issue at international level is his inability to coach a team to hold the football. His natural instinct is 'Get it into the box' and we all know that won't work at international level against the better teams. It'll work in the poor group we're in probably, but not in the World Cup.

I wish him well, I'd like nothing more than to win the World Cup, but his appointment is a backward step and doomed to failure sadly.

It may end up being doomed to fail, but I really don't think he will do any worse than any of the last few managers we've had. (Qualification for a tournament and group/knockout stages when there). His appointment is a damning indictment of the poor state of coaching at the top level in the English game. He's the most experienced out there, ergo, the only real candidate.

It may end up being doomed to fail, but I really don't think he will do any worse than any of the last few managers we've had. (Qualification for a tournament and group/knockout stages when there). His appointment is a damning indictment of the poor state of coaching at the top level in the English game. He's the most experienced out there, ergo, the only real candidate.

Absolutely K-Hod, couldn't agree more :tu:

His ability to win games away from home must also be of concern and the fact he's never won anything as a manager in his career, have we ever had an England manager that's never won anything?

Allardyces aim every season in the premiership has always been 40 points, not qualifying for Europe, not winning cups, but 40 points. In no other profession would finishing 4th bottom be tolerated, but due to money, and money alone it's accepted in English football.

Allardyces issue at international level is his inability to coach a team to hold the football. His natural instinct is 'Get it into the box' and we all know that won't work at international level against the better teams. It'll work in the poor group we're in probably, but not in the World Cup.

I wish him well, I'd like nothing more than to win the World Cup, but his appointment is a backward step and doomed to failure sadly.

4th bottom Gav? Love your revisionist theories. He finished in the top 8 with Bolton three years on the bounce pal.

Regardless I'd be hopeful of getting a result against the likes of Iceland under Sam, unlike the last plank (who was so successful at Rovers, Liverpool, West Brom and Fulham winning everything in sight). Not.

• Moderation Lead

Absolutely K-Hod, couldn't agree more :tu:

I had a feeling that might be used against me. In reality though, who else is there? I know this has been covered, but we've tried the following:

Foreign, vastly experienced (Capello, Eriksson)- FAIL.

Coach from within the existing set-up- (McLaren) FAIL.

Vastly experienced coach at home and abroad, who has won trophies (Hodgson)- FAIL.

A new approach was required and whilst it will always divide opinion, I'd be surprised if he did worse than Hodgson or McLaren at the very least, I really would.

4th bottom Gav? Love your revisionist theories. He finished in the top 8 with Bolton three years on the bounce pal.

Regardless I'd be hopeful of getting a result against the likes of Iceland under Sam, unlike the last plank (who was so successful at Rovers, Liverpool, West Brom and Fulham winning everything in sight). Not.

He often finished much higher, not doubt about that, but the rhetoric was 40 points, 4th from bottom.

Much like many modern day managers, expectations got dumbed down season in season out, Ranieri has now dispelled that myth and chairmen should be looking for managers to set goals higher up the league.

I had a feeling that might be used against me. In reality though, who else is there? I know this has been covered, but we've tried the following:

Foreign, vastly experienced (Capello, Eriksson)- FAIL.

Coach from within the existing set-up- (McLaren) FAIL.

Vastly experienced coach at home and abroad, who has won trophies (Hodgson)- FAIL.

A new approach was required and whilst it will always divide opinion, I'd be surprised if he did worse than Hodgson or McLaren at the very least, I really would.

I'd have gone with Eddie Howe, great football, new techniques and methods, but the FA just went same old same old, its doomed to fail.

I like Howe but his achievements are winning the championship and keeping a team up. Hardly had to scrimp either.

It's a bit of a "goalpost move" if staying up for one manager isn't "winning anything" and then championing another who won the second tier...

I like Howe but his achievements are winning the championship and keeping a team up. Hardly had to scrimp either.

It's a bit of a "goalpost move" if staying up for one manager isn't "winning anything" and then championing another who won the second tier...

Ones been a manager for 8yrs, at Bournemouth and burnley, Ones been a manager for 27yrs, at Blackburn, Newcastle, West Ham and Bolton.

Big difference and I'm surprised I had to explain that one.

Yea, ones got 2 clubs promoted in different "eras", turned two into top half teams and saved another two clubs on their way down. Statistically to have the results Sam has had over such a long time suggests he has the experience over Howe.

Like managers before him he will fail due to the paucity of playing staff at his disposal. Unwanted internationals on loan speaks volumes. We don't have a single player who is cock of the walk at their club.

I eagerly await the first time we play a top 15 nation away from home in a competitive game. Sam's surrender tactics won't serve on those occassions.

Yea, ones got 2 clubs promoted in different "eras", turned two into top half teams and saved another two clubs on their way down. Statistically to have the results Sam has had over such a long time suggests he has the experience over Howe.

Statistics eh....

Allardyce has experience over Pep Guardiola and Jose Mourinho but he'd never manage at that level because he's not good enough and neither is he good enough for England but we'll see.

Statistics eh....

Allardyce has experience over Pep Guardiola and Jose Mourinho but he'd never manage at that level because he's not good enough and neither is he good enough for England but we'll see.

But who is better? Do we specify Englishman?

I know you dislike Big Sam, but consider who is a better appointment on merit. There isn't many!

Comparing to champions league managers is a ridiculous way of trying to prove a point too, plus what Shaun says is essentially true!

But who is better? Do we specify Englishman?

I know you dislike Big Sam, but consider who is a better appointment on merit. There isn't many!

Comparing to champions league managers is a ridiculous way of trying to prove a point too, plus what Shaun says is essentially true!

I thought using Allardyces 27yr managerial experience against a 38yr old Howe was ridiculous, if you're good enough you're old enough, but we could carry on like this all day and you'd still never be right :P

As I said this morning, we're struggling for English talent both on and off the pitch, you're both right, but if we keep adopting the same model time and time again we'll never improve, Eddie Howe offered us something different, FA bottled it.

• Moderation Lead

I thought using Allardyces 27yr managerial experience against a 38yr old Howe was ridiculous, if you're good enough you're old enough, but we could carry on like this all day and you'd still never be right :P

As I said this morning, we're struggling for English talent both on and off the pitch, you're both right, but if we keep adopting the same model time and time again we'll never improve, Eddie Howe offered us something different, FA bottled it.

You see, I don't get this highlighted bit.

Allardyce offered us something different if anything, surely? Certainly with his style of football which has constantly been referenced. (Which it always will be and I have no issue with). But, as I mentioned above, we've tried all these different types of manager. We need more of a no-nonsense, back to basics approach and that's what Allardyce has always had.

Long-term, I do think Howe could well be a candidate, but at the minute, he's still a bit inexperienced and this managerial job could have crushed him if it hadn't gone well imo. You've got to have the skin of a rhino to be able to deal with the media scrutiny that comes with the England manager's job, I'm not convinced Howe does at this stage.

Sam was the best English manager available. Howe's not quite there in experience, Hoddle and Shearer are commentators, Redknapp is way past his best, Pardew can only manage half a season before his teams lose every game, Southgate is a tool.

We've tried 2 high profile foreigners recently and they were not too great, so maybe 3rd time lucky.

So Rooney is Big Shams captain going forward, lets not forget how many posters have been calling for Rooney to be dropped, let alone be captain of the national side.

Thoughts :rock:

Thoughts? You're obsessed and bitter. You were proven utterly wrong, made to look foolish and, like all the other demented Rovers fans who wanted him out, have something in common with our contemptible owners, the utter vermin that is Anderson and the lip-licking lizard Kean, you all wanted Sam out.

Most of his other critics have severely toned down their views following events since. Which is perfectly rational behaviour, reacting to events and modifying your opinion instead of denying and twisting them at every turn.

You haven't. Ego? You're never wrong? Who knows, it'd be embarassing if it wasn't irritating.

You see, I don't get this highlighted bit.

Allardyce offered us something different if anything, surely? Certainly with his style of football which has constantly been referenced. (Which it always will be and I have no issue with). But, as I mentioned above, we've tried all these different types of manager. We need more of a no-nonsense, back to basics approach and that's what Allardyce has always had.

Long-term, I do think Howe could well be a candidate, but at the minute, he's still a bit inexperienced and this managerial job could have crushed him if it hadn't gone well imo. You've got to have the skin of a rhino to be able to deal with the media scrutiny that comes with the England manager's job, I'm not convinced Howe does at this stage.

If you want success you sort out the defensive side of things first. That's what Sam will do. His critics will decry it as boring, particularly the southern softies. It all depends on him being given the time, which he didn't get here.

Thoughts? You're obsessed and bitter. You were proven utterly wrong, made to look foolish and, like all the other demented Rovers fans who wanted him out, have something in common with our contemptible owners, the utter vermin that is Anderson and the lip-licking lizard Kean, you all wanted Sam out.

Most of his other critics have severely toned down their views following events since. Which is perfectly rational behaviour, reacting to events and modifying your opinion instead of denying and twisting them at every turn.

You haven't. Ego? You're never wrong? Who knows, it'd be embarassing if it wasn't irritating.

You're still smarting from the dressing down i gave you a few weeks back :P move on.

We're trying to discuss England, play the ball not the man :tu:

Eddie Howe has two points from his last twenty four. Plus a cracking win in the EFL at Morecambe. He's probably best worrying about issues closer to home than any loftier ambitions. He has plenty of time to get sacked. Far from being new and invigorating, it would actually be quite the opposite. Clean cut side parting granted, but nothing at all on his CV. Our babies need a Papa and their asses constantly wiping.

Hughes, Wenger, Coleman, Strachan, even Hoddle although regrettably he was a tad excitable. There is good talent knocking about. Give it Ranieri if Allardyce bombs, but I'd rather be crap with a Brit in charge, or at least someone committing their career to our league, than someone simply coining it in.

Eddie Howe can be mentioned in a decade or so. That's if he survives till Xmas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived