SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dunnfc said:

I don't think we could have gone much lower, still no fees spent, still signings replacing players who were initially better. Though there is an argument potentially to suggests Whitts is reasonable.

not exactly organised at all, look around the place 

With how thin our squad currently is we need to make a lot of signings, signing two in my opinion solid enough league one midfielders isn't so bad going under our circumstances. Do you seriously expect us to be paying fee's left right and centre? We spent 250k in fees last season in the championship whilst selling Duffy and Hanley for okay money. Reality check time mate, out of all the signings we may make this summer I can't see any more than 1 or 2 being small fee's and that may be pushing it. These two signings so far are solid enough for a very skint league one side. Welcome to Rovers Smallwood :brfc:

Just now, Dunnfc said:

I'd rather have Guthrie certainly or probably Lowe ahead of this fella tbh. 

Guthrie is a completely different type of player with a terrible injury record who would demand higher wages. I don't understand why you would want him?

He can't be worse than Lowe. 

Just now, Butty said:

With how thin our squad currently is we need to make a lot of signings, signing two in my opinion solid enough league one midfielders isn't so bad going under our circumstances. Do you seriously expect us to be paying fee's left right and centre? We spent 250k in fees last season in the championship whilst selling Duffy and Hanley for okay money. Reality check time mate, out of all the signings we may make this summer I can't see any more than 1 or 2 being small fee's and that may be pushing it. These two signings so far are solid enough for a very skint league one side. Welcome to Rovers Smallwood :brfc:

We should be demanding better, it's sad to see fans readily accepting this and everything else. 

29 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Smallwood confirmed. 

Have we ever been this organised under the venkys regime? 

Looks like Mowbray getting what he wants.

Coyle got what he wanted last summer to begin with. They sanctioned substantial contracts for Feeney, Graham and Stokes early doors and they were all in the building ready to go before pre-season began. I remember people on this website last summer hailing that business also. Then the wall of silence appeared until they sanctioned the sales of Duffy and Hanley and trousered the £10 million.

That's why I'm not getting carried away. Am I happy with the business done? In terms of quality I'm happy, in terms of quantity I'm not. I still think we need another 3-4 proven quality signings in by the time pre-season starts as a minimum.

We're also forgetting the elephant in the room which is outgoings and how those will affect us. The real test of Venkys ambitions this summer will be whether they resist bids for our 'best' players and convince them to hang around in League One for a season to get us back up. It can be done as Bolton showed last year and signings like Whittingham ought to help with that, but we know Venkys have form for selling at the worst moment and not reinvesting money into the squad.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

No F****** way!

Did he even score a goal here? I remember him missing a few easy chances against Newcastle the season we went down I think 

No he didn't score for us but he bagged 25 goals last season, only Lewandowski and Aubameyang scored more in the league

Just now, Butty said:

Why wouldn't they spend fees though? The likes of Oxford and Bury have been going round bidding for players and spending money. Why can't we?

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Guthrie is a completely different type of player with a terrible injury record who would demand higher wages. I don't understand why you would want him?

He can't be worse than Lowe. 

Smallwood rejected other clubs some champs and a 5k offer at RUFC so he's going to be on quite a bit more isn't he?

Guthrie was on around 8.5k and looks set to be signing for Aberdeen so I'd imagine wage wise would be similar to resign.

Cant be worse than Lowe!? I think you'll realise soon the hilarity of that comment

Just now, JHRover said:

Why wouldn't they spend fees though? The likes of Oxford and Bury have been going round bidding for players and spending money. Why can't we?

To many fans with little ambition, ready to accept whatever Venkys do. Time to start walking away for some.

Just now, JHRover said:

The likes of Oxford and Bury aren't run by crooks and aren't in debt up to there eyeballs? We spent 250k last season whilst selling Duffy and Hanley for a combined total of a good few million. Although we had a higher wage budget to fund I don't honestly know how any Rovers fan would expect us to be forking out on fee's for players when the last couple of seasons have shown how utterly skint we are. 

Just now, Butty said:

The likes of Oxford and Bury aren't run by crooks and aren't in debt up to there eyeballs? We spent 250k last season whilst selling Duffy and Hanley for a combined total of a good few million. Although we had a higher wage budget to fund I don't honestly know how any Rovers fan would expect us to be forking out on fee's for players when the last couple of seasons have shown how utterly skint we are. 

What are rovers fans doing about this though?

Just now, Dunnfc said:

We should be demanding better, it's sad to see fans readily accepting this and everything else. 

We've signed two players in my opinion more than capable of competing in league one next season, who do you honestly expect us too bring in that's any better? I've said it before and I'll say it again, we are a cash strapped league one club, lower your expectations mate. 

Just now, Butty said:

I expect us to be forking out on fees because we're in a division we really should never have been in had the club been run properly, caused by owners who have withdrawn/diverted £40 million in cash from player sales in the last 2 years and left us with a shell of a squad, we are the biggest club in this division, have supposedly the richest owners who have dragged us down to this level and this club should be among the biggest spenders at this level.

We cannot afford to stay at this level for more than a year. We have to be getting promoted and have to be moving heaven and earth to achieve that this season.

Bury are up to their eyes in debt. Nowhere near our levels admittedly but they are still losing a lot of money yet seem content to shell out more in pursuit of bettering themselves.

I don't demand money spent as I'm sure the wages paid to the likes of Whittingham and Graham will be blowing other clubs out of the water, but I really do find it baffling that these owners claim relegation is a temporary setback, claim to be billionaires and claim to be determined to turn this around and yet aren't prepared to release even small amounts of cash to enable Mowbray to go out and recruit the best possible side possible. It is because they don't want to? Is it because they can't afford to? Or do they really think promotion winning sides can be put together without spending any money?

Am I happy with Whittingham and Smallwood? Yes quite content. But I think Mowbrays job would be much easier if he had real cash to go out and buy people and yet he seems to be limited to frees only, like our last 3 managers in the last 3 years.

Just now, Butty said:

We've signed two players in my opinion more than capable of competing in league one next season, who do you honestly expect us too bring in that's any better? I've said it before and I'll say it again, we are a cash strapped league one club, lower your expectations mate. 

Lower my expectations that's the bloody issue butty any lower and they'll be on the floor. No wonder this club has 8 k of Rovers Fans on a Saturday it's attitudes like that what allow themselves to continually lower until one day they wake up and play Eastleigh in the vanarama.

its like going back and back as battered husband to an abusive wife

Just now, Butty said:

Our aim shouldn't be to compete in League One. Our aim should be to win League One and finish 2nd at worst. If we miss out on the top 6 next season then so begins another slippery slope like when we dropped out of the Premier League. We have to bounce back immediately or further horrors will unfold as they drag us down another rung on the ladder. 

My expectations are promotion. No excuses.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

To many fans with little ambition, ready to accept whatever Venkys do. Time to start walking away for some.

Time to start walking away? Why? Because accepting signing one player who's been a regular in the championship and signing one who was a big part of a promotion winning league one side only a couple of seasons ago is a lack of ambition? Of course I want too go straight back up, but you've got too be realistic about the calibre of player we are going too be bringing in this summer, and our first two signings for me represent a solid enough start. Expecting us too be signing a load of championship standard players is ludicrous. -_-

Just now, JHRover said:

Our aim shouldn't be to compete in League One. Our aim should be to win League One and finish 2nd at worst. If we miss out on the top 6 next season then so begins another slippery slope like when we dropped out of the Premier League. We have to bounce back immediately or further horrors will unfold as they drag us down another rung on the ladder. 

My expectations are promotion. No excuses.

Of course I want and expect us too be near the top end of the table next season, I just think that some people need to re-think about the calibre of player we are going too be able to attract this summer, our first two signings for me are solid enough. I agree with what you said in terms of Venkys should be spending in order to ensure we go straight back up, but do you really expect them too do that judging on the disaster which is the last few seasons? Expecting us too be forking out fee's on numerous players I just can't see happening, spending a small fee on one or two players, maybe.

17 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

What are rovers fans doing about this though?

Not a great deal we can do, all the protests etc have gotten the fans nowhere! It's time more fans realised Venky's are going nowhere, and also time to just forget about constantly talking about them and get behind the 11 players on the pitch for a change, anyone that would rather focus on Venkys rather than the actual football is welcome to stay away! Not going to stop me enjoying football at 3pm on a Saturday 

League 1 is not a great standard. If people think the championship is bang average they are in for an almighty shock. Therefore, you don't need a team of all-stars to do well in it.

Like everyone else on here I've never knowingly seen Smallwood play but if he got promoted with Rotherham out of League 1, and has been one of Rotherham's better players in the Championship, then he is the standard of player we should be expecting to sign if we are going for promotion ourselves. Whittingham, if he can still run a bit, is far better than we could expect ability-wise, and will be far better than anyone else signs in league 1.

Mowbray needs to build a team that is capable of getting results in League 1. Grafters and ball-winners like Smallood, if that's what he is,  will be essential to that.

In conclusion, we are in League 1. It's not going to be a festival of football, in fact it's going to be very grim at times. Mowbray will know this.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

League 1 is not a great standard. If people think the championship is bang average they are in for an almighty shock. Therefore, you don't need a team of all-stars to do well in it.

Like everyone else on here I've never knowingly seen Smallwood play but if he got promoted with Scunny out of League 1, and has been one of Rotherham's better players in the Championship, then he is the standard of player we should be expecting to sign if we are going for promotion ourselves. Whittingham, if he can still run a bit, is far better than we could expect ability-wise, and will be far better than anyone else signs in league 1.

Mowbray needs to build a team that is capable of getting results in League 1. Grafters and ball-winners like Smallood, if that's what he is,  will be essential to that.

In conclusion, we are in League 1. It's not going to be a festival of football, in fact it's going to be very grim at times. Mowbray will know this.

He went to Scunthorpe on a year's long loan apparently, struggled to break-in to the team and returned to R/ham in January, they were in the top 2 at the time I think.

They lost out on promotion in the play-offs.

Archived