BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

Those jumping on the wait till you see him play before you judge blah blah blah bandwagon. Just because some are underwhelmed with a signing does not mean we are judging a player. On paper he dont look all that, was on loan at Scunny last year, in his mid20's and has hardly pulled up any trees anywhere and was only attracting interest from other pi$$ poor sides with little or no money to spend and will seemingly come here because he will be on more than offered from those teams. On top of that - he is a plodder - a type we just offloaded in abundance and probably even a downgrade on those.

Not the sort of stuff that excites me. On the other side we have Bostock, a signing that would excite considering he was Ligue 1 player of the season - not that it will happen.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Suhail Slayer said:

I will stick my neck out now and predict relegation this season.

That has been their same plan since we got relegated to the Champ... get promoted to the PL. Wow...great plan... intelligent. Then we will wipe out the debt in 2 seasons with the TV money and sell up.

Wonder why anyone thinks the same cunning plan will work this season ?

The plan/objective mentioned would be mine. I give no credit to the Vs.

If we are to have hope then an immediate return to the Championship (PL2) is needed or our downward spiral continues.

JHR sums up my views in his posts, much better than I can.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Leeds looking at Derbyshire. I'd be over that, see if he fancies 12 months here.

Was gutted we didn't go for him last summer when he was basically saying sign me up on twitter. Doubt he'd come to us now in league one though.

12 minutes ago, JHRover said:

It is slightly bemusing to see people saying Rovers are 'going for it' this season after letting about 10 leave knocking £100k a week off the wage bill and so far signing 1 free transfer and being linked with a couple more. I'm very much reserving judgment, as admittedly there is still some time to go but an awful lot of hard work and new signings required. If it has been decided that there will be no cash for transfer fees then the job goes from tough to extremely tough.

Oxford have just bid £350k for Liam Lindsay at Partick Thistle. The deal has collapsed as it looks like Michael Appleton is going to walk out to become Leicester assistant manager. I doubt very much that we'll be bidding or paying that for any player this summer. The question therefore needs to be asked why they are going round offering 6 figure sums for players and yet once again we seem to be focusing entirely on the free agent aisle whilst the loans will come at the back end of the window.

It does however seem that once again Venkys are prepared to sanction more than competitive wages for the level we are at. We appear to have been operating with a Premier League level wage bill in the Championship and with Whittingham, Graham, Mulgrew and Conway on board will be operating with a Championship wage bill in League One.

Another of the Venky mysteries. Happy to shell out big wages to the tune of millions a year, often on players who don't deserve it, yet aren't prepared to stump up cash for transfers. Loans and frees only and this summer will be no different. Presumably their 'creditors' will be refusing to allow additional non-essential expenditure and lump sum payments for players but are content to allow them to add to the payroll, so long as by the end of the summer it is substantially less than it was before. £100,000 a week off the books so far, at most £10,000 a week back on with Whittingham. Expect another £30-40k worth a week of free agents to rock up and then the shutters to come down until they free up more through sales. Venkys will be happy at that stage as they have swapped £100,000 a week last year for £50,000 a week in new signings.

would you have kept any of out of contract players apart from Mahoney and maybe Guthrie?

if we are signing Ben Gladwin, it would require a fee possible as he is still under contract until next summer? unless it a loan for 6 months

do we need to spend money on centre back when we have 4 already at the club? seems a waste to me tbh

on sales, I think Mulgrew will go from the 1st eleven. I think Steele, Feeney and Stokes will go and I would be very happy to let them leave and replace them.

7 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Smallwood being one, who is the other?

according to a few on twitter its Ben Gladwin, whether it true I don't know

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Recruitment is looking v poor.

what a load of rubbish. Signing Whittingham who is good at passing, set pieces and scores goals. Plus signed to play a specific role within the team.

Smallwood signed to be the ball winning midfielder within the team.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Leeds looking at Derbyshire. I'd be over that, see if he fancies 12 months here.

don't see him as a Mowbray's type player and where would he fit into Mowbray formation and style?

Just now, Suhail Slayer said:

Wait until you see the net transfer business over the summer before making your bed... 

12 have gone so far.

I have said all along that we will sign 6 and 4 will be sold for fees. So if they both sign it makes 3... 3 more to go.

Won't be bad that will it Chaddy.... 16 out and 6 in.

When we are stuggling against relegation in December and it's freezing cold I will remind you how you turned into a one man Paul Senior fan club the year before and look how that turned out.

Proof you are completely blind in your blue and white shades but you carry on pal. Your club needs you.

You are the one making these statements about no signings in June.

I wouldn't have kept most of the out of contract players. If Players like Feeney, Steele and Stokes leave then no problem as long as they are replacement

if we are stuggling in December it would make your day I bet?

The club needs the fans

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

In Chaddy's defence JAL is a total waste of time, you can't disagree with that surely?

JAL is a wind up merchant and he knows that himself, best thing too do is not bite and leave him too it. He's harmless really 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

A player asking for the fans support is a "cry for help"? :lol::lol::lol:

I don't understand the second sentence. 

Weren't you asked on here to suggest some alternative signings? You seem to have sidestepped answering it on a  few occasions 

Is Whittingham openly admitting that he'll be performing below the 100% required level and that he's asking the fans to give him that boost that will hopefully see him up his game to the 100 % level that the fans will be expecting anyway.

Will the price of the ticket mirror the performances from the players on the pitch this coming season ?

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

would you have kept any of out of contract players apart from Mahoney and maybe Guthrie?

if we are signing Ben Gladwin, it would require a fee possible as he is still under contract until next summer? unless it a loan for 6 months

do we need to spend money on centre back when we have 4 already at the club? seems a waste to me tbh

on sales, I think Mulgrew will go from the 1st eleven. I think Steele, Feeney and Stokes will go and I would be very happy to let them leave and replace them.

according to a few on twitter its Ben Gladwin, whether it true I don't know

what a load of rubbish. Signing Whittingham who is good at passing, set pieces and scores goals. Plus signed to play a specific role within the team.

Smallwood signed to be the ball winning midfielder within the team.

don't see him as a Mowbray's type player and where would he fit into Mowbray formation and style?

You are the one making these statements about no signings in June.

I wouldn't have kept most of the out of contract players. If Players like Feeney, Steele and Stokes leave then no problem as long as they are replacement

if we are stuggling in December it would make your day I bet?

The club needs the fans

This is a great point. If we had have offered most of those who left new contracts, fans would be giving out about this. 

I think the purge of rubbish that came with relegation was a great thing. It is a pity we needed to be relegated for it to happen, but there you go. 

Just now, JAL said:

Is Whittingham openly admitting that he'll be performing below the 100% required level and that he's asking the fans to give him that boost that will hopefully see him up his game to the 100 % level that the fans will be expecting anyway.

Will the price of the ticket mirror the performances from the players on the pitch this coming season ?

No, I very much doubt he meant that. 

Just now, JAL said:

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

Clutching at straws there pal. You are an unbelievably shocking contributor to this board. Wow.

• Moderation Lead
Just now, joey_big_nose said:

In Chaddy's defence JAL is a total waste of time, you can't disagree with that surely?

I only made reference to the last line, as a Mod, I'm not touching the rest of the post !!

2 hours ago, Butty said:

JAL is a wind up merchant and he knows that himself, best thing too do is not bite and leave him too it. He's harmless really 

The biggest wind up of all has to be Venky's and their associate agents and their clients that have delivered ....shyte upon shyte season after season at Ewood Park.

Wonder who we will be signing next summer to replace the duckeggs we are signing now, though do hope they exceed expectations.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Just ignore the guy. He isnt worth it.

Doesnt attend games so dont get in a convo with him?

Mr Victims mask is slipping. It's hard to keep your true feelings hidden all the time whilst spinning so many wum circles <_<

2 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

Clutching at straws there pal. You are an unbelievably shocking contributor to this board. Wow.

It's open to question so did just that ! ?

Just now, JAL said:

The biggest wind up of all has to be Venky's and their associate agents and their clients that have delivered ....shyte upon shyte season after season at Ewood Park.

Wonder who we will be signing next summer to replace the duckeggs we are signing now.

Who would you recommend we sign? If you can't even attempt an answer to this, your constant critiquing has no carriage with me 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Who would you recommend we sign? If you can't even attempt an answer to this, your constant critiquing has no carriage with me 

Reluctant to answer but go on... Sam Gallagher who we had last season.

Just now, Rover_Shaun said:

You first?

Jal has been asked numerous times, but has side stepped the question.

I like Whittingham. Bostock would be a good signing too. 

Adding to that, I would have a go at getting some of the following players; Shaun Maloney, Grant Leadbitter, Stephen Ireland, Damien Delaney, Adam Le Fondre, Dean Whitehead

Just now, JAL said:

So would I. Pretty unlikely though. Anyone else? 

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I'd have kept Lowe for League One if a deal could have been struck e.g. £5-10k a week rather than £20k.

I couldn't give a stuff about Mahoney leaving from a football perspective to be honest. I don't think he's done much and has a hell of a lot more to do to be a regular Championship player or better. Its more to do with what it represents that a prospect from the local area is being enticed away by clubs that until very recently couldn't get near Blackburn Rovers.

Fact remains that for the 2nd summer running we've had a mass exodus and turnover in playing personnel which simply cannot be healthy. But that's what happens when you keep changing managers who have different plans and ideas and have no football authority on the board who can oversee transfer policy. We still don't have that as it appears they are handing over complete control to Mowbray. Wonderful if it works out, but if it doesn't we'll be sat having this same exchange in 12 months with a different man at the helm and another 5-6 signings to find just to have a squad, never mind one that's good enough.

31 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'd have kept Lowe for League One if a deal could have been struck e.g. £5-10k a week rather than £20k.

I couldn't give a stuff about Mahoney leaving from a football perspective to be honest. I don't think he's done much and has a hell of a lot more to do to be a regular Championship player or better. Its more to do with what it represents that a prospect from the local area is being enticed away by clubs that until very recently couldn't get near Blackburn Rovers.

Fact remains that for the 2nd summer running we've had a mass exodus and turnover in playing personnel which simply cannot be healthy. But that's what happens when you keep changing managers who have different plans and ideas and have no football authority on the board who can oversee transfer policy. We still don't have that as it appears they are handing over complete control to Mowbray. Wonderful if it works out, but if it doesn't we'll be sat having this same exchange in 12 months with a different man at the helm and another 5-6 signings to find just to have a squad, never mind one that's good enough.

The lack of consistency at this club hurts us in every single department. Any business needs a long term plan in order to grow. By living in the short term, hand to mouth so to speak, you aren't achieving anything except survival. That is literally what we have been doing over the years. Financially we have no long term goal - there's been no plan put forward that in x amount of years we will meet this target or in x amount of years we plan to make money from this. The only real 'ambition' if you will is the academy and even that is being put under scrutiny lately with the hushed talks of selling land. Subsequently we continue to remain a loss making enterprise and rely solely on yearly 'hand-outs' from our benefactors...ironically them being the people that have led us into this mess. They are literally plugging their own holes with cash because they either refuse to or can't create a long-term vision for the clubs finances. This is especially worrying considering the only consistent board director over the past 3 years is a finance "expert"! Yet with the incoming of different 'advisers' (Shebby, Pasha, Paul Snr) policy on our finances has changed roughly every 1-2 years.

Likewise, the transfer policies will change with each manager. We have had 7(?) managers under the Venkys and each has brought their own ideas in how a team can run. Our only success in the transfer market came under Bowyer who, coincidentally, was our biggest consistent in a lot of years. You could see a clear vision in buying cheap and selling for profit and for whatever you thought of it at least you could see some direction. The Venkys can't seem to understand that consistency is key to running a football club and whilst that doesn't necessarily count towards a consistent manager these days it certainly needs ambitions/objectives set out at board level with consistent board members overseeing all operations.

Meanwhile Blackburn Rovers continues to have a new person seemingly in charge every year or so. Whether that be in the form of a Global Adviser, Director of Football or currently the Spreadsheet. Each and every time they change hands another part of the club gets buried through a lack of clear and concise decision making. Nothing will change while they are here. We'll continue to have sporadic turns of fortunes followed by a consequence of those fortunes; for example, Paul Lambert will come in on promises by the board and therefore sell our best player for use of money in the transfer market. He will then not be given money and leave resulting in BRFC being left without a manager or a key player. Rinse and repeat but change the names of manager, player and league we are competing.

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

The lack of consistency at this club hurts us in every single department. Any business needs a long term plan in order to grow. By living in the short term, hand to mouth so to speak, you aren't achieving anything except survival. That is literally what we have been doing over the years. Financially we have no long term goal - there's been no plan put forward that in x amount of years we will meet this target or in x amount of years we plan to make money from this. The only real 'ambition' if you will is the academy and even that is being put under scrutiny lately with the hushed talks of selling land. Subsequently we continue to remain a loss making enterprise and rely solely on yearly 'hand-outs' from our benefactors...ironically them being the people that have led us into this mess. They are literally plugging their own holes with cash because they either refuse to or can't create a long-term vision for the clubs finances. This is especially worrying considering the only consistent board director over the past 3 years is a finance "expert"! Yet with the incoming of different 'advisers' (Shebby, Pasha, Paul Snr) policy on our finances has changed roughly every 1-2 years.

Likewise, the transfer policies will change with each manager. We have had 7(?) managers under the Venkys and each has brought their own ideas in how a team can run. Our only success in the transfer market came under Bowyer who, coincidentally, was our biggest consistent in a lot of years. You could see a clear vision in buying cheap and selling for profit and for whatever you thought of it at least you could see some direction. The Venkys can't seem to understand that consistency is key to running a football club and whilst that doesn't necessarily count towards a consistent manager these days it certainly needs ambitions/objectives set out at board level with consistent board members overseeing all operations.

Meanwhile Blackburn Rovers continues to have a new person seemingly in charge every year or so. Whether that be in the form of a Global Adviser, Director of Football or currently the Spreadsheet. Each and every time they change hands another part of the club gets buried through a lack of clear and concise decision making. Nothing will change while they are here. We'll continue to have sporadic turns of fortunes followed by a consequence of those fortunes; for example, Paul Lambert will come in on promises by the board and therefore sell our best player for use of money in the transfer market. He will then not be given money and leave resulting in BRFC being left without a manager or a key player. Rinse and repeat but change the names of manager, player and league we are competing.

Because they don't care as they use the club as an accounting tool where paper losses allow them to hide profits from elsewhere. 

Keep the staff turning over,  keep the money moving. Keep the players turning over, keep agent pals happy and the %% flowing out.

Simple as that, what else could it be at this stage after 7 years of the same system ?

Oh yeah bad advice and face saving :lol::rolleyes:

Pray that TM catches Barry at the right moment next time he's at the Dorchester & is steamers. That's probably the only time he'll say yes, someone pulled it off to get Coyle in then a few signings.

1 hour ago, JAL said:

Sam Gallagher aint going to drop league 1 on loan when teams like Cardiff want to sign him permanent

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Jal has been asked numerous times, but has side stepped the question.

I like Whittingham. Bostock would be a good signing too. 

Adding to that, I would have a go at getting some of the following players; Shaun Maloney, Grant Leadbitter, Stephen Ireland, Damien Delaney, Adam Le Fondre, Dean Whitehead

So would I. Pretty unlikely though. Anyone else? 

I'm unsure on Bostock tbh cos I don't know what type of player he is

from your list I would look at Leadbitter from Middlesbrough but his wages would be big for us. Le Fondre was mentioned by myself as was Mark Little who has signed for Bolton just like Le Fondre has,

The others are a no from me.

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Fair enough on Lowe and Mahoney. you make good points as always.

The board under these owners are there to do admin of the club in most cases. Shebby is the only person Venkys have really trusted off the field with football authority. It's their way.

Mowbray is in control of football matters and running the football side of the club. I don't have a problem with that in decide who we sign but is he decide what wages we are giving these players? I don't know

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

Apparently we are trying to sign Erhun Oztumer.

Walsall player, but apparently a very good player. Well balanced and creative with flair.

I read a piece about him not so long back. Isn't he about 5 foot 3? He got knocked back by a big club and is determined to prove them wrong. Either way he got 15 goals for Walsall last year and people rave over him.

It will be nice to have a Turkish lad back at the club. Always feel we have an affiliation with them after God played for us. Basturk and Sukur were novelties more than anything but still add to the list of Turkish legends we've had.

Kazim Richards can be forgotten. We all make mistakes.

Archived