BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Saying someone is a bad player without seeing them play is wrong!! I see fans do it all the time. They regurgitate what they have heard from others. If it isn't wrong, well then it is stupid. 

I caught a friend of mine do it once about Jordan Rhodes. He said to me after he left Boro "well he will only ever score goals in the Championship"  I asked have "have you actually ever seen him play?" He said "oh ya a good few times" I said "for who?" He goes "With Blackburn" I then replied "Blackburn are on TV around twice a season and I know for a fact you don't watch them when they are". He then admitted he read it somewhere :D I'm a very not pedantic friend really ,except on topics as controversial as this :lol: Even if my friend may have been right in what he said... ;) 

Again why is it wrong or less valid than someone saying otherwise?

Let's use Bostock as an example. There doesn't seem to be any negativity surrounding that rumour (we know it won't happen of course) but say we did sign him and everybody was positive about it, why would that be? Nobody has seen him play yet.

People base their opinions on a number of things, Bostock seemingly had a great season for Lens last year, and I for one would be positive about such a signing, yet never having seen him play. Smallwood played in a team that got relegated with an embarrassingly low points total, of which he was central to the team (in more ways than one) in the engine room.

People use things like that to form and base their opinions on players and signings when they haven't seen them play. There's nothing wrong in that, either way.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Personally I don't comment to much on players on this thread.

It is reaching the stage where I do not even know their name until some pretend football Manager geek decides to throw it in the hat.

It's an open MB and doesn't need moderation counselling from you. Posters can post what they want within MB rules.

Yes, me included :) 

Just now, donnermeat said:

Let's use Bostock as an example. There doesn't seem to be any negativity surrounding that rumour (we know it won't happen of course) but say we did sign him and everybody was positive about it, why would that be? Nobody has seen him play yet.

People base their opinions on a number of things, Bostock seemingly had a great season for Lens last year, and I for one would be positive about such a signing, yet never having seen him play. Smallwood played in a team that got relegated with an embarrassingly low points total, of which he was central to the team (in more ways than one) in the engine room.

People use things like that to form and base their opinions on players and signings when they haven't seen them play. There's nothing wrong in that, either way.

Good points, well made sir :) 

I just wait until I have seen a  player play a few games, before making a call and claiming that I know how good or bad they are. 

I just wait until I have seen a  player play a few games, before making a call and claiming that I know how good or bad they are. 

Yes and there's nothing wrong with that either. 

I was just reading the thread last night and thought some of the stick Dunnfc was getting over it was a bit unjustified that's all.

A message board is a place for people to voice THEIR opinions whether others like it or not. It's as simple as that really and the constant 'oh please don't say that it's negative' is nearly as bad as watching Pointless or another quiz show when a 25 yr old keeps squealing 'way before my time' to  general knowledge questions based on 80's music or film or something.

It's all part of the package so deal with it or ignore it.

At least we've moved on from clappers v ditherers though :lol:

Yes and there's nothing wrong with that either. 

I was just reading the thread last night and thought some of the stick Dunnfc was getting over it was a bit unjustified that's all.

Very mild stick :) Actually I wouldn't even call it stick. We were having a chat. Dunnfc is well able for it. The guy is writing letters to powers that be left, right and centre attacking the venkys empire :D I know he isn't bothered by what I say 

Very mild stick :) Actually I wouldn't even call it stick. We were having a chat. Dunnfc is well able for it. The guy is writing letters to powers that be left, right and centre attacking the venkys empire :D I know he isn't bothered by what I say 

Not at all it's an opinion at the end of the day people are bound to have there own. Could be worse you good be sat on this environmental course I'm on today

I just wanted to point out what I viewed as a fallacy in the whole thing really.

Opinions are central to football!

31 minutes ago, Suhail Slayer said:

Wait until the outgoings start getting flogged off when the window opens.

Wait until the cost cutting reports from KPMG & Deloitte have been put into practice

Firstly, the transfer window is open. 

Secondly, you dont have the first clue what KPMG and Deloitte will say to the owners. 

10 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Not at all it's an opinion at the end of the day people are bound to have there own. Could be worse you good be sat on this environmental course I'm on today

Have fun on the course as I this sunny weather

Just now, Suhail Slayer said:

You are right Chaddy.... I was thinking they may come up with a plan to spend millions and get us back to the Premier League. That is why they were hired wasn't it.

You can be a right plonker sometimes Rodney

I thought you said the Elton John music event wouldnt happen but it did so why did you think it didnt?

Also I thought you said we wouldnt signing players this month. Funny that cos we signed one and 2 more set to sign? 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well some fans are sick of hearing others complain about EVERYTHING. We all know what has gone on here. Whinging about every single thing on here is boring. Going over the same stuff again and again and again IS BORING. How often do the same conversations and arguments spring up here over and over? 

As Whittingham said when he signed, the fans can give the team an extra 5%-10%. Are fans prepared to get behind the team, or at least give them a chance to play before writing them off? 

Sounds like a cry for help from Whittingham and he hasn't stepped onto the pitch yet. 

As for Mowbray is it that he can't deliver ? won't deliver ? or told not to deliver ? With his poor signings to date.

Just now, JAL said:

Sounds like a cry for help from Whittingham and he hasn't stepped onto the pitch yet. 

As for Mowbray is it that he can't deliver ? won't deliver ? or told not to deliver ? With his poor signings to date.

A player asking for the fans support is a "cry for help"? :lol::lol::lol:

I don't understand the second sentence. 

Weren't you asked on here to suggest some alternative signings? You seem to have sidestepped answering it on a  few occasions 

A player asking for the fans support is a "cry for help"? :lol::lol::lol:

I don't understand the second sentence. 

Weren't you asked on here to suggest some alternative signings? You seem to have sidestepped answering it on a  few occasions 

Just ignore the guy. He isnt worth it. Add nothing to the debate even his obsession with agents is boring. 

I asked for his suggestions on signings. Couldnt give one name. Wonder why? 

Doesnt attend games so dont get in a convo with him?

• Moderation Lead

That last line is quite poor tbh, Chaddy. Plenty on here don't go to games for a host of reasons and they have plenty of solid content to contribute.

1 hour ago, Suhail Slayer said:

Wait until the outgoings start getting flogged off when the window opens.

Wait until we paid this months bills and the 6 million is all gone

Wait until the cost cutting reports from KPMG & Deloitte have been put into practice

Wait until the staff redundancies are announced

I thought all the hot air in here meant the window was open :D

It is slightly bemusing to see people saying Rovers are 'going for it' this season after letting about 10 leave knocking £100k a week off the wage bill and so far signing 1 free transfer and being linked with a couple more. I'm very much reserving judgment, as admittedly there is still some time to go but an awful lot of hard work and new signings required. If it has been decided that there will be no cash for transfer fees then the job goes from tough to extremely tough.

Oxford have just bid £350k for Liam Lindsay at Partick Thistle. The deal has collapsed as it looks like Michael Appleton is going to walk out to become Leicester assistant manager. I doubt very much that we'll be bidding or paying that for any player this summer. The question therefore needs to be asked why they are going round offering 6 figure sums for players and yet once again we seem to be focusing entirely on the free agent aisle whilst the loans will come at the back end of the window.

It does however seem that once again Venkys are prepared to sanction more than competitive wages for the level we are at. We appear to have been operating with a Premier League level wage bill in the Championship and with Whittingham, Graham, Mulgrew and Conway on board will be operating with a Championship wage bill in League One.

Another of the Venky mysteries. Happy to shell out big wages to the tune of millions a year, often on players who don't deserve it, yet aren't prepared to stump up cash for transfers. Loans and frees only and this summer will be no different. Presumably their 'creditors' will be refusing to allow additional non-essential expenditure and lump sum payments for players but are content to allow them to add to the payroll, so long as by the end of the summer it is substantially less than it was before. £100,000 a week off the books so far, at most £10,000 a week back on with Whittingham. Expect another £30-40k worth a week of free agents to rock up and then the shutters to come down until they free up more through sales. Venkys will be happy at that stage as they have swapped £100,000 a week last year for £50,000 a week in new signings.

23 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I thought you said the Elton John music event wouldnt happen but it did so why did you think it didnt?

Also I thought you said we wouldnt signing players this month. Funny that cos we signed one and 2 more set to sign? 

Smallwood being one, who is the other?

Just now, JHRover said:

It is slightly bemusing to see people saying Rovers are 'going for it' this season after letting about 10 leave knocking £100k a week off the wage bill and so far signing 1 free transfer and being linked with a couple more. I'm very much reserving judgment, as admittedly there is still some time to go but an awful lot of hard work and new signings required. If it has been decided that there will be no cash for transfer fees then the job goes from tough to extremely tough.

Oxford have just bid £350k for Liam Lindsay at Partick Thistle. The deal has collapsed as it looks like Michael Appleton is going to walk out to become Leicester assistant manager. I doubt very much that we'll be bidding or paying that for any player this summer. The question therefore needs to be asked why they are going round offering 6 figure sums for players and yet once again we seem to be focusing entirely on the free agent aisle whilst the loans will come at the back end of the window.

It does however seem that once again Venkys are prepared to sanction more than competitive wages for the level we are at. We appear to have been operating with a Premier League level wage bill in the Championship and with Whittingham, Graham, Mulgrew and Conway on board will be operating with a Championship wage bill in League One.

Another of the Venky mysteries. Happy to shell out big wages to the tune of millions a year, often on players who don't deserve it, yet aren't prepared to stump up cash for transfers. Loans and frees only and this summer will be no different. Presumably their 'creditors' will be refusing to allow additional non-essential expenditure and lump sum payments for players but are content to allow them to add to the payroll, so long as by the end of the summer it is substantially less than it was before. £100,000 a week off the books so far, at most £10,000 a week back on with Whittingham. Expect another £30-40k worth a week of free agents to rock up and then the shutters to come down until they free up more through sales. Venkys will be happy at that stage as they have swapped £100,000 a week last year for £50,000 a week in new signings.

This but it's not a sustainable not viable long term plan as I've stated there comes a time when you need to plan for the long haul. Recruitment is looking v poor.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

This but it's not a sustainable not viable long term plan as I've stated there comes a time when you need to plan for the long haul. Recruitment is looking v poor.

No recruitment plan has actually emerged yet. One actual signing where the terms are sort of known and a rumour or two.

The only plan/objective now is to get back to Premier League 2 this season so recruitment for that.

A long term plan is of course needed but the Vs don't do them and not from L1.

If we get back up then we can see what their mood is.

Seems odd that we are the biggest club in this league, have supposedly the richest owners, consider relegation to be merely a 'temporary setback', talk about going straight back up and longer term aiming for the Premier League, yet we continue to shop in the free agent aisle.

If they were that rich and that determined to bounce straight back they'd be bankrolling a spending spree and buying up quality players left right and centre. Nothing at all stopping them.

They aren't doing that. They are allowing competitive wages to be offered to players because they've freed a load up in the last few months.

So either they can't afford to spend, or they don't want to, and therefore they aren't as determined as they could be to bounce straight back up.

The bank/lenders are running the show. They will allow a few in on healthy wages having ensured that more has gone out the other way first.

31 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Just ignore the guy. He isnt worth it. Add nothing to the debate even his obsession with agents is boring. 

I asked for his suggestions on signings. Couldnt give one name. Wonder why? 

Doesnt attend games so dont get in a convo with him?

now now Chris

30 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

That last line is quite poor tbh, Chaddy. Plenty on here don't go to games for a host of reasons and they have plenty of solid content to contribute.

In Chaddy's defence JAL is a total waste of time, you can't disagree with that surely?

Archived