BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

3 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

26 and we've beaten button, sheff Utd, milllwall and Bolton to him. Sides which will scrap or get relegated to l1 next year. I'm a believer in signing players whom are better than what you've got. I'd have taken Guthrie over this lad anyday.

as for the Madrid quip no I'd expect ambition and more frugal financial management 

You've never seen him play have you? Go on admit it.

If he signs for us instead of Championship sides then it's a bit of a coup, just like Whittingham was.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Its looks that way. Heard from a friend should sign within 48 hours

We would have 4 centre midfielders if Smallwood signs. Smallwood, Whittingham, Evans and Tomlinson. do we need another centre midfield or could we play Bennett or Mulgrew in there.

We have got to trust Mowbray and his judgement.

Bennett could fill in there. In theory, so could Mulgrew of Lenihan but I think they'll both leave (along with Steele and Stokes). With Evans being injury prone and Tomlinson being untested, it would make sense to bring in one more CM.

Other positions on the shopping list must be:

RB, one or two wingers, at least two strikers, two central defenders (if Mulgrew/Lenihan leave), a reserve GK (if Steele leaves). 

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

My friend who is a Scunthorpe fan:

Likes a sidewards ball and slows play up. 

Bang average.

Reserve judgement until I see him play. Can't be worse than Akpan (can't actually pass) Guthrie (injured) Evans (is he still at Blackburn lol) 

It sounds like he's a good tackler but not much else. To be honest, after years of having central midfielders who can't tackle, pass or run I think a player who can at least offer something would be an improvement. 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Who told you that he'd sign in 48 hours? How would your friend know, is it Alan Nixon?

You keep feeling the need to justify Mowbray in every sentence.

Alan Nixon is not my source. Its a friend with contacts at Brockhall.

I am a fan of Mowbray.

Just now, rovers11 said:

Bennett could fill in there. In theory, so could Mulgrew of Lenihan but I think they'll both leave (along with Steele and Stokes). With Evans being injury prone and Tomlinson being untested, it would make sense to bring in one more CM.

Other positions on the shopping list must be:

RB, one or two wingers, at least two strikers, two central defenders (if Mulgrew/Lenihan leave), a reserve GK (if Steele leaves). 

I'm unsure if Lenihan will go tbh. Mulgrew might go but will they pay his wages.

as for the shopping list, we need a 2nd keeper, full back, 1 pacey winger, 2 strikers and 1 centre back if Mulgrew does leave

I think Steele and Feeney will go.

• Backroom
Just now, rovers11 said:

It sounds like he's a good tackler but not much else. To be honest, after years of having central midfielders who can't tackle, pass or run I think a player who can at least offer something would be an improvement. 

If he can tackle like Savage and do nothing else, he'll do for me after years of Lowe 'defending'.

16 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

My friend who is a Scunthorpe fan:

Likes a sidewards ball and slows play up. 

Bang average.

Reserve judgement until I sese him play. Can't be worse than Akpan (can't actually pass) Guthrie (injured) Evans (is he still at Blackburn lol) 

When you read the words," likes to play the holding role" there's the clue in that the lad doesn't have much skill or talent. 

I suspect Mowbray is after Smallwood to be his "Soldier" or "water carrier" as he referred to them in a recent interview.

If it's 4-2-3-1, a partnership of him and Whittingham as the 2 holding midfielders with Smallwood winning the ball back and giving it to Whittingham, so he can pull the strings in the middle of the park.

Links with Bostock would put him in the middle of the attacking 3.

Regardless of whether that is the plan or not, it's a least good to see Mowbray having (appearing at least) an actual plan as opposed to Coyles scattergun approach to the transfer policy.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I heard people say that about Kante, as well as many others. 

Kante is an all rounder of the highest quality who wins things whats Smallwood ever done  ? 

Just now, JAL said:

Kante is an all rounder of the highest quality who wins things whats Smallwood ever done  ? 

You said, and I quote "When you read the words," likes to play the holding role" there's the clue in that the lad doesn't have much skill or talent. 

So now you are saying that scenario doesn't apply with Kante :rolleyes:

• Backroom
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

You said, and I quote "When you read the words," likes to play the holding role" there's the clue in that the lad doesn't have much skill or talent. 

So now you are saying that scenario doesn't apply with Kante :rolleyes:

And Makelele, Veron, Savage, Butt, Gattuso, Batty, Speed, Cambiasso, Vieira, N'Zonzi, Leiva,  ... I'm sure there are many others I've undeservedly forgotten who were holding midfielders with plenty of talent.

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Who told you that he'd sign in 48 hours? How would your friend know, is it Alan Nixon?

You keep feeling the need to justify Mowbray in every sentence.

He was justifying Paul senior not so long ago.. 

If The Rovers hierarchy said it was Tuesday on a Sunday the chadometer would wax lyrical and believe it 

Very exciting times if we do sign bostock as well. We would walk this league. 

Need a few CBs to cover the loss of Mulgrew, and the rubbish we had as backup. 

2 strikers

1 or 2 more CMS

3 wingers when Feeney leaves

1 RB

I'd play 4-2-3-1

GK

RB.   CB.   CB.   LB

Cdm.   Cdm 

RW.       CAM.      LW

ST

Rumour time...

Mulgrew going to Boro

Bennett staying 

Evans being touted everywhere and anywhere. 

Smallwood not the only Rotherham player on the way - Mark Bradley also being talked too. 

Just now, J*B said:

Rumour time...

Mulgrew going to Boro

Bennett staying 

Smallwood not the only Rotherham player on the way - Mark Bradley also being talked too. 

Mark Bradley hasn't played for 2 years....

He was released 2 years ago, he's a coach now lol

Just now, J*B said:

Rumour time...

Mulgrew going to Boro

Bennett staying 

Glad Bennett is, head and shoulders above the rest of the squad. 

Mark Bradley Christ this summers recruitment is frickin short term awful 

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Glad Bennett is, head and shoulders above the rest of the squad. 

Mark Bradley Christ this summers recruitment is frickin short term awful 

I think Bradley may be coming as part of the staff side of things rather than playing - just re read above and realise it's worded poorly!

Archived