BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

Smallwood could not get in the Rotherham side last season and was loaned to Scunthorpe. He returned early when Stubbs got sacked by Rotherham.

Mind you I have never knowingly seen him play so jury out for me but also underwhelmed.

A holding midfielder so can't be worse that Evans surely.

Mowbray knows him so that would be the clincher.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Smallwood turned down a new contract at Rotherham. Plus he played under Mowbray at Boro during his time there.

You have suggest a foreign player who has no experience in this league or understand of League 1 football. so a experience centre midfielder with English experience or some unknown who has no idea of England or weather conditions. I know which one I would go with.

Smallwood is a ball winning midfielder not a playmaker like Guthrie was. Looking like Mowbray wants Smallwood to be the ball winning midfielder with Whittingham as a playmaker in a middle 2 centre midfield with 4-2-3-1 formation.

Burton under Nigel Clough were good and beat many people expectations last season.

How do you know the exact formation and line up that Mowbray plans to play? Has he told you?: He played 3 at the back last season what makes you think he will change?

20 minutes ago, Eternal Optimist said:

Love how players get judged before actually seeing what they can do....be interesting to see what Rotherham fans think about this! Give a bit of insight as to what the lads like on the pitch

I've seen him a few times on telly prior to his injuries and he was poor. Just read the Rotherham page on him were the most positive post was him being compared to Jason Lowe http://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38194054

ABOUT TIME our fans gave their heads a wobble and demanded better and upped expectations, not sure what's worse the fans who allow such rubbish or venkys seven year rule. No wonder JAL goes too far.

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Smallwood turned down a new contract at Rotherham. Plus he played under Mowbray at Boro during his time there.

You have suggest a foreign player who has no experience in this league or understand of League 1 football. so a experience centre midfielder with English experience or some unknown who has no idea of England or weather conditions. I know which one I would go with.

Smallwood is a ball winning midfielder not a playmaker like Guthrie was. Looking like Mowbray wants Smallwood to be the ball winning midfielder with Whittingham as a playmaker in a middle 2 centre midfield with 4-2-3-1 formation.

Burton under Nigel Clough were good and beat many people expectations last season.

I've not suggested anyone at all Chaddy if you wouldn't mind revoking that statement lol, Guthrie was head and shoulders above Lowe, Evans, Smallwood and a probable 33 year old past it like Whittingham.

We now look to be creating dangerous deals for players with no potential to improve, old players, players who might do a job in l1 but due to the length of contracts being dolled out financial long term commitments to players we will need to upgrade upon next year and won't be able to shift as easy.

much rather have taken a punt on someone like a camps at Rochdale admittedly not seen him but reading up he's exactly the box to box midfielder we've needed and with being younger an opportunity to improve and create value in the playing squad.

Wigan have signed a couple of younger lads with that in mind and last time brought in Sam Morsy who's since gone up in value, been a regular and now an international with Egypt. 

To be honest I am just happy at long last that a manager at this football club has decided the midfield central area is just not good enough and he is looking to address it, something we've needed for 6 years. 

Just now, Dunnfc said:

I've seen him a few times on telly prior to his injuries and he was poor. Just read the Rotherham page on him were the most positive post was him being compared to Jason Lowe http://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38194054

ABOUT TIME our fans gave their heads a wobble and demanded better and upped expectations, not sure what's worse the fans who allow such rubbish or venkys seven year rule. No wonder JAL goes too far.

I've not suggested anyone at all Chaddy if you wouldn't mind revoking that statement lol, Guthrie was head and shoulders above Lowe, Evans, Smallwood and a probable 33 year old past it like Whittingham.

We now look to be creating dangerous deals for players with no potential to improve, old players, players who might do a job in l1 but due to the length of contracts being dolled out financial long term commitments to players we will need to upgrade upon next year and won't be able to shift as easy.

much rather have taken a punt on someone like a camps at Rochdale admittedly not seen him but reading up he's exactly the box to box midfielder we've needed and with being younger an opportunity to improve and create value in the playing squad.

Wigan have signed a couple of younger lads with that in mind and last time brought in Sam Morsy who's since gone up in value, been a regular and now an international with Egypt. 

So you think we should sign a lad you heard is good? Why didn't Mowbray think of this in depth approach ;)

To be honest you make some good posts, but the above is not one of your finest pieces of work. You are saying Guthrie is head and shoulders above a number of players, including Whittingham. Couldn't disagree more. Guthrie was injured more than he played and hardly set the world alight here when he did. Whats with the nostalgic Rose tinted spectacles on him?? 

Also, 33 isn't past it. There are countless examples of players who have stood out in all divisions of world football aged 33 or even older. 

We have young players here already, should they now get their chance before we go and sign other unproven young players from elsewhere?

Finally, please don't make out that Wigan have some amazing transfer policy. They were worse than us last season and for a number of seasons prior to that. 

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

How do you know the exact formation and line up that Mowbray plans to play? Has he told you?: He played 3 at the back last season what makes you think he will change?

Look at Mowbray's comments about this season and the way he wants to play.

Mowbray wants to play attacking football. Signing Whittingham for me, we will be playing a passing style of football

8 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Mowbray and Whittingham have both talked about getting promotion from this league and winning the league. Far from lower expectations IMO.

Guthrie above Evans? Not for me, Evans the better player but neither are fit enough

Guthrie better than Whittingham? really? look at the stats and Whittingham has better scoring and assist record than him by a country mile.

Mowbray has said he wants experience players for this league.

Morsy is a good player but no world beater.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

So you think we should sign a lad you heard is good? Why didn't Mowbray think of this in depth approach ;)

To be honest you make some good posts, but the above is not one of your finest pieces of work. You are saying Guthrie is head and shoulders above a number of players, including Whittingham. Couldn't disagree more. Guthrie was injured more than he played and hardly set the world alight here when he did. Whats with the nostalgic Rose tinted spectacles on him?? 

Also, 33 isn't past it. There are countless examples of players who have stood out in all divisions of world football aged 33 or even older. 

We have young players here already, should they now get their chance before we go and sign other unproven young players from elsewhere?

Finally, please don't make out that Wigan have some amazing transfer policy. They were worse than us last season and for a number of seasons prior to that. 

I expected Tomlinson to play this season and be a part of the squad.

Wigan transfer policy over the past 12 months as been very poor and very unbalanced. Expect that to change now Cook is there.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Nothing to do with 4-2-3-1.

Its what formation I expect us to play. Guess we will see how we will line up for pre season and the season.

I think 3-4-2-1 formation is more of a defensive style of play and formation for us

22 minutes ago, AAK said:

To be honest I am just happy at long last that a manager at this football club has decided the midfield central area is just not good enough and he is looking to address it, something we've needed for 6 years. 

Don't think he had a choice considering we had 0 midfielders on the books.

Just now, RV Blue said:

Don't think he had a choice considering we had 0 midfielders on the books.

You could say that, or you could say that he had no interest in offering any of the departed 3 midfielders new contracts

To be honest i find it hard to be negative about our transfer so far. 

To me Smallwood would be a good addition. Anyone criticising his time at Rotherham is slightly harsh as realistically they haven't had stable management in the last 12 month on the field. 

With regards to Whittingham vs Guthrie, Whit has consistantly performed in the championship with goals and assists and did okay in the EPL. Guthrie on the other hand started his career well in his early 20's but has since drastically deteriorated. 

For me if i look at Smallwood vs Lowe or Akpan, I would consider it a positive seeing as both former players were earning more than Smallwood and SW will understand the lower leagues better. 

4 hours ago, Salgado Is Still A Hero said:

Not sure if mentioned but I read yesterday that we are trying to sort out a severance deal package with Stokes.

Unsurprisingly I guess.

I would offer to rip up his contract if he payed back half of last seasons wages.(which he never earned any way)

From LT reporter Rich Sharpe

Seen plenty of Smallwood. Aggressive, ball-winning type, a solider to Whittingham’s artistry to coin a Mowbray phrase. Great attitude aswell

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/15355414.Rovers__midfield_overhaul_gathering_pace_as_they_eye_move_for_ex_Rotherham_United_midfielder_Richie_Smallwood/

Its appears Mowbray has a proper recruitment plan and signing players that fit the formation we will use and the role they will play in the team. 

Sounds like Smallwood has as good as signed. Never heard of him but he can't be much worse than our central midfielders of last season. He sounds like he could complement whittingham quite nicely. Central midfield options of Whittingham, Smallwood, Tomlinson, and Evans would surely be the strongest in the division. We would need one more though, unless Harcastle is ready to make the step up? 

Just now, rovers11 said:

Sounds like Smallwood has as good as signed. Never heard of him but he can't be much worse than our central midfielders of last season. He sounds like he could complement whittingham quite nicely. Central midfield options of Whittingham, Smallwood, Tomlinson, and Evans would surely be the strongest in the division. We would need one more though, unless Harcastle is ready to make the step up? 

Its looks that way. Heard from a friend should sign within 48 hours

We would have 4 centre midfielders if Smallwood signs. Smallwood, Whittingham, Evans and Tomlinson. do we need another centre midfield or could we play Bennett or Mulgrew in there.

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

My friend who is a Scunthorpe fan:

Likes a sidewards ball and slows play up. 

Bang average.

Reserve judgement until I see him play. Can't be worse than Akpan (can't actually pass) Guthrie (injured) Evans (is he still at Blackburn lol) 

We have got to trust Mowbray and his judgement.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Its looks that way. Heard from a friend should sign within 48 hours

We would have 4 centre midfielders if Smallwood signs. Smallwood, Whittingham, Evans and Tomlinson. do we need another centre midfield or could we play Bennett or Mulgrew in there.

We have got to trust Mowbray and his judgement.

Who told you that he'd sign in 48 hours? How would your friend know, is it Alan Nixon?

You keep feeling the need to justify Mowbray in every sentence.

Archived