BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

The guy from Rochdale would cost.  This guy from Rotherham will be free.  

If there was money in the pot for transfers we should be looking at better than this guy......but we all know there isn't.

Caddy, how you can claim that this Smallwood guy is better than Evans is beyond me.  On what basis us he better?

Very poor signing IMO.  Let's hope it's idle gossip.

Camps and Smallwood aren't the same type of midfielder I am led to believe.

where did I say Smallwood is better than Evans?

This isn't idle gossip. I got the info today from a friend that he will sign for us within 48 hours. other people have confirmed this aswell.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The guy from Rochdale would cost.  This guy from Rotherham will be free.  

If there was money in the pot for transfers we should be looking at better than this guy......but we all know there isn't.

Caddy, how you can claim that this Smallwood guy is better than Evans is beyond me.  On what basis us he better?

Very poor signing IMO.  Let's hope it's idle gossip.

I agree it's another poor signing. He's rejected a 4/5k a week deal at Rotherham reading there boards, if a lad like camps at Rochdale or like PNE a Pearson or Harrop type come in for less than a few hundred k then the 1/2k a week on wages saved over the cost of a 3 yr contract say is potentially the transfer fee. Not only that you sell them on usually at a profit, assets gain in value such as these players therefore bolstering the balance sheet in the medium term when they are fair valued. Richie Smallwood and a washed up Whittingham sit on there arse in the championship were you can't shift them on to another club as no one else will pay there wages and they have no re sale value or potential whilst remain stagnant on the wage bill only doing harm to the balance sheet.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

This isn't idle gossip. I got the info today from a friend that he will sign for us within 48 hours. other people have confirmed this aswell.

Apologies Chaddy, missread your post.

Why not give Tomlinson a chance if this is the best we can do?  Now Bostock would be an interesting one (so doubt that will come off). 

Apologies Chaddy, missread your post.

Why not give Tomlinson a chance if this is the best we can do?  Now Bostock would be an interesting one (so doubt that will come off). 

Mowbray has already said he wants experience players. not a team full of kids, I expect Tomlinson to be part of this season squad and be 4th choice midfielder

Just now, Dunnfc said:

I agree it's another poor signing. He's rejected a 4/5k a week deal at Rotherham reading there boards, if a lad like camps at Rochdale or like PNE a Pearson or Harrop type come in for less than a few hundred k then the 1/2k a week on wages saved over the cost of a 3 yr contract say is potentially the transfer fee. Not only that you sell them on usually at a profit, assets gain in value such as these players therefore bolstering the balance sheet in the medium term when they are fair valued. Richie Smallwood and a washed up Whittingham sit on there arse in the championship were you can't shift them on to another club as no one else will pay there wages and they have no re sale value or potential whilst remain stagnant on the wage bill.

Agreed.  There is no value in such a signing.   The lad was loaned out to Scunny last year then relegated in the worst champ side in recent history.  We should be cherry picking the top talent in league 1/2 not picking up more dead weight.  

Agreed.  There is no value in such a signing.   The lad was loaned out to Scunny last year then relegated in the worst champ side in recent history.  We should be cherry picking the top talent in league 1/2 not picking up more dead weight.  

Il have to look at FFP again but get promoted and you've similar issues to what weve previously faced but if you can increase your value of both fixed and non fixed assets on your accounts then your losses effectively are being balanced somewhat on the overall balance sheet. Hence getting players with re sale and potential to sell down the line is handy even better as they grow in value. 

Complete opposite happening here with Smallwood

How would a "friend" know and who is this friend? Same with Gladwin.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

I agree it's another poor signing. He's rejected a 4/5k a week deal at Rotherham reading there boards, if a lad like camps at Rochdale or like PNE a Pearson or Harrop type come in for less than a few hundred k then the 1/2k a week on wages saved over the cost of a 3 yr contract say is potentially the transfer fee. Not only that you sell them on usually at a profit, assets gain in value such as these players therefore bolstering the balance sheet in the medium term when they are fair valued. Richie Smallwood and a washed up Whittingham sit on there arse in the championship were you can't shift them on to another club as no one else will pay there wages and they have no re sale value or potential whilst remain stagnant on the wage bill.

I agree completely with the general principle without using either Smallwood or whittingham as specific examples to support it. Neither have kicked a ball for us and may prove to be astute signings or not.

What you suggest involves a coherent longer term transfer strategy and we do not have that. The result is we recruit for today and that is what these signings are and numerous others.

Just now, Eternal Optimist said:

We were the third worst team in the championship last season does that mean we flog all our players because they "are not good enough" stop complaining and give the lad a chance 

To be fair, we know most of them aren't good enough for the Championship or we'd still be there.

I get signing players to get out of league one - but then what when we are back in the champ? We can't afford to dump the players and upgrade again.  Smacks of short termism to me.  If the lad is a cheap bench warmer then fair enough but we have got those in the under 23 squad.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Il have to look at FFP again but get promoted and you've similar issues to what weve previously faced but if you can increase your value of both fixed and non fixed assets on your accounts then your losses effectively are being balanced somewhat on the overall balance sheet. Hence getting players with re sale and potential to sell down the line is handy even better as they grow in value. 

Silly comment. We're getting someone on a free who is only 26. You don't have a clue what his potential re-sale value is.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

I agree it's another poor signing. He's rejected a 4/5k a week deal at Rotherham reading there boards, if a lad like camps at Rochdale or like PNE a Pearson or Harrop type come in for less than a few hundred k then the 1/2k a week on wages saved over the cost of a 3 yr contract say is potentially the transfer fee. Not only that you sell them on usually at a profit, assets gain in value such as these players therefore bolstering the balance sheet in the medium term when they are fair valued. Richie Smallwood and a washed up Whittingham sit on there arse in the championship were you can't shift them on to another club as no one else will pay there wages and they have no re sale value or potential whilst remain stagnant on the wage bill only doing harm to the balance sheet.

Harrop isn't the same type of player as Smallwood. same with Camps.

Whittingham is washed up? no offence Dunnfc but you do talk some rubbish at times. Look at Whittingham's assists and goals stats. plus good at set pieces. plus he is being played in playmaker role.

You seem very negative anything Mowbray does for some reason

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Now that would be a signing! Need to get rid of Feeble sorry Feeney

I expect Feeney to go.

But could Gladwin play in the 10 role. Maybe Bostock move isn't happening so Mowbray has move on to Gladwin(this is opinion not for fact)

The lad were loaned out cos Stubbs didn't want to play him

he was part of a promotion squad when Rotherham got promotion from league 1 to Championship. Plus there is 4 championship teams after him but he is signing for us because I would think cos of the relationship with Mowbray and know each other

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Mowbray is signing players with experience and the aim is promotion and nothing else.

Just now, Biz said:

Did Smallwood play for Rotherham in their league 1 promotion?

yes he did

Just now, roversfan99 said:

How would a "friend" know and who is this friend? Same with Gladwin.

Its a friend who is a decent source.

I said the Gladwin link is from a few people of twitter mentioning it. never said same source did I? read what I write please

Will he be on the same terms that Rotherham offered and he's come to us because if the set up?  Or will we be paying the lad more?

I'll hold my hand up and say I don't have much of a clue about players at this level.  That said, I am damn sure he won't be of sufficient quality to get us top half of the Championship.

Will he be on the same terms that Rotherham offered and he's come to us because if the set up?  Or will we be paying the lad more?

I'll hold my hand up and say I don't have much of a clue about players at this level.  That said, I am damn sure he won't be of sufficient quality to get us top half of the Championship.

You know we're in League 1 next season, which is the league he's been signed to get us out of, and a league he got out of with Rotherham?

Gladwin was playing non-league a few years ago, This will not stand. It's an absolute disgrace we are signing an ex-non league player, I can't even type it without throwing up in my mouth. He was on loan in Swindon last season apparently. Do they even have a team? I bet they don't. Premier League? Glenn who? B@ll@Cks, never heard of him.

Send him back!

Harrop isn't the same type of player as Smallwood. same with Camps.

Whittingham is washed up? no offence Dunnfc but you do talk some rubbish at times. Look at Whittingham's assists and goals stats. plus good at set pieces. plus he is being played in playmaker role.

You seem very negative anything Mowbray does for some reason

I expect Feeney to go.

But could Gladwin play in the 10 role. Maybe Bostock move isn't happening so Mowbray has move on to Gladwin(this is opinion not for fact)

The lad were loaned out cos Stubbs didn't want to play him

he was part of a promotion squad when Rotherham got promotion from league 1 to Championship. Plus there is 4 championship teams after him but he is signing for us because I would think cos of the relationship with Mowbray and know each other

Mowbray is signing players with experience and the aim is promotion and nothing else.

yes he did

Its a friend who is a decent source.

I said the Gladwin link is from a few people of twitter mentioning it. never said same source did I? read what I write please

Nothing else?! That's the @#/? problem chaddy. Not good enough once promoted and the contract lengths mean we will struggle to offload whilst they clog the wage bill.

i don't give a flying @#/? if TM is trying to sign experience, the financial running of this club, the management structure needs to drastically improve. We've spent two years waiting for Akpan and others to sod off paid tens of millions to eruhu for the same mistakes made in the past.

This club just goes round and round in circles it's embarrassing to be associated with it at the minute.

whittingham 33 when season starts, can't play in a 4 man midfield as he's not a "runner" and signed for two years so we will only see the back of him at 35. If he was to sign it should have been a year max. Wage management is a disgrace dolling out 10s thousand a week on faded old stars and for contracts longer than they were offered elsewhere is far from astute.

Warnock couldn't offer him a first team starting spot, il trust this bloke far more than Mowbray.

Archived