BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Not if we fill it with deadwood again!

Let's hope Mowbray is a magician and can bring in some cracking players for nowt.  Then we can sit back and enjoy the footy again.

I just want  a team that is a team, not a collection of misfits that started last season. TBF I think Whittingham could be a cracking signing if he can cope with the League 1 hatchet men and his legs haven't gone.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

We go up and we can't attract good champ players because we still won't have a pot to p in! The last 2 years have shown that. We just pay over the odds to get mediocre players in on long contracts. 

You've just said it yourself mate that even in the Championship we'd be struggling to get the calibre of player in you'd expect so how can you expect it from us in League one? Whittingham was signed on a 2 year deal and if we carry on in that manner in terms of contract length then too me that is pretty sensible. Mediocre players is what we will be signing, so all we can do is not hand out big wages and long contracts. Of course you need good players to be up in the top 6 but in this league more than anything you need players who play for the manager and work hard as a unit. If we can bring in players solid enough for this division and get them playing that way we've got a chance and that's all we can realistically expect.

Just now, Butty said:

You've just said it yourself mate that even in the Championship we'd be struggling to get the calibre of player in you'd expect so how can you expect it from us in League one? Whittingham was signed on a 2 year deal and if we carry on in that manner in terms of contract length then too me that is pretty sensible. Mediocre players is what we will be signing, so all we can do is not hand out big wages and long contracts. Of course you need good players to be up in the top 6 but in this league more than anything you need players who play for the manager and work hard as a unit. If we can bring in players solid enough for this division and get them playing that way we've got a chance and that's all we can realistically expect.

Purely expect more because the owners have the opportunity to invest (on a personal level) at league one level that they didn't in the champ.  They won't so we accept more mediocrity and carry on downgrading.  

Would love to be pleasantly surprised and hope Mowbray can deliver a decent team.  By God we need something to get behind and a bit of success, even at this level, it would help lift the gloom!

38 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

I know butty but the type of player needing to be signed should be ones with potential to improve, re sale value and ones young enough to go through the next league with etc.

When Dalglish signed Cowans it wasn't with a view to re sale value.  It was because he knew he had the experience to do the job he wanted.  Ultimately, the manager must be allowed to manage and sign the players he wants within the budget he has been given.  I prefer to trust the judgement of Mowbray over the so called experts who are happy to judge a player before he's even played a game for the club. 

Underwhelmed with Smallwood after bringing in Whittingham. Dont know the player admittedly but I just feel this one is to get the numbers in - which we do need obviously. Id rather stick Tomlinson into the side at this level.

8 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

I know butty but the type of player needing to be signed should be ones with potential to improve, re sale value and ones young enough to go through the next league with etc.

Let's be honest, if we'd signed a load of 18-21 year olds, the criticism would be "we are only buying players to sell for a profit".

On 6/17/2017 at 16:41, Dunnfc said:

Good post, what is it with Chelsea and obscene youth contracts, Chabalaboh 40 k plus a week, same loftus cheek it's quite frankly almost staggering

Yeah you can see why it causes so many issues and why there is sense in the suggestion of capping the pay to youth players some clubs have suggested.  You've got lads at clubs like City & Chelsea who haven't even played games and on huge money.

Just now, JacknOry said:

Underwhelmed with Smallwood after bringing in Whittingham. Dont know the player admittedly but I just feel this one is to get the numbers in - which we do need obviously. Id rather stick Tomlinson into the side at this level.

The wife expresses similar sentiments.

21 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Or Mowbray has identify his role within the team as ball winning centre mid whilst Whittingham will be deep playmaker.

Tomlinson wont be starter but part of the squad deffo. 

11 hours ago, K-Hod said:

For all the people complaining about fans whingeing- we're in the third division for the first time in over 30 years, we're in bucket loads of debt and Venky's treat the fans with complete contempt and have sold anything which isn't nailed down which could be worth a damn.

The way people criticise fans that complain go on like we are still 10th in the PL. We've every reason to be angry, frustrated and completely despondent because of our owners and to criticise people for the mindset shows ignorance to our plight as far as I'm concerned.

Well some fans are sick of hearing others complain about EVERYTHING. We all know what has gone on here. Whinging about every single thing on here is boring. Going over the same stuff again and again and again IS BORING. How often do the same conversations and arguments spring up here over and over? 

As Whittingham said when he signed, the fans can give the team an extra 5%-10%. Are fans prepared to get behind the team, or at least give them a chance to play before writing them off? 

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray is building a squad good enough to achieve promotion and he is signings players that fit into the formation and style of play Mowbray wants to play. He is targeting players that fit into these roles within the team.

Big assumption. You haven't the foggiest idea whatsover how Mowbray wants to play or even if he has a plan.

• Moderation Lead
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well some fans are sick of hearing others complain about EVERYTHING. We all know what has gone on here. Whinging about every single thing on here is boring. Going over the same stuff again and again and again IS BORING. How often do the same conversations and arguments spring up here over and over? 

As Whittingham said when he signed, the fans can give the team an extra 5%-10%. Are fans prepared to get behind the team, or at least give them a chance to play before writing them off? 

Well, some fans are sick of being shafted by our owners and these issues aren't going anywhere until Venky's do, or back the club and put us back where we where when they bought us. (I'll not hold my breath on the latter).

Fans always get behind the team, it's incredible that we still do, given everything which has happened and just how much we've all been shafted over the last seven years. I've never written anyone off until I've seen them play and I don't understand the mentality of those that do.

I really wish the owners would get behind the club in the same way. (Or better yet, Foxtrot Oscar).

Just now, K-Hod said:

Well, some fans are sick of being shafted by our owners and these issues aren't going anywhere until Venky's do, or back the club and put us back where we where when they bought us. (I'll not hold my breath on the latter).

Fans always get behind the team, it's incredible that we still do, given everything which has happened and just how much we've all been shafted over the last seven years. I've never written anyone off until I've seen them play and I don't understand the mentality of those that do.

I really wish the owners would get behind the club in the same way. (Or better yet, Foxtrot Oscar).

I agree with all of the above. It is so frustrating. Unfortunately, as we have all slowly come to realize, they ain't going until they are ready and nobody can do anything about that. 

What does it matter if some people think a certain player is a bad signing? Just because they haven't played a game for us yet? What does that even matter?

It's an opinion, end of story. Can't just be labelled as wrong because he hasn't kicked a ball in anger yet.

I agree with all of the above. It is so frustrating. Unfortunately, as we have all slowly come to realize, they ain't going until they are ready and nobody can do anything about that. 

And we don't have to sit back sup a cuppa and say FA.

Just now, donnermeat said:

What does it matter if some people think a certain player is a bad signing? Just because they haven't played a game for us yet? What does that even matter?

It's an opinion, end of story. Can't just be labelled as wrong because he hasn't kicked a ball in anger yet.

Saying someone is a bad player without seeing them play is wrong!! I see fans do it all the time. They regurgitate what they have heard from others. If it isn't wrong, well then it is stupid. 

I caught a friend of mine do it once about Jordan Rhodes. He said to me after he left Boro "well he will only ever score goals in the Championship"  I asked have "have you actually ever seen him play?" He said "oh ya a good few times" I said "for who?" He goes "With Blackburn" I then replied "Blackburn are on TV around twice a season and I know for a fact you don't watch them when they are". He then admitted he read it somewhere :D I'm a very not pedantic friend really ,except on topics as controversial as this :lol: Even if my friend may have been right in what he said... ;) 

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

And we don't have to sit back sup a cuppa and say FA.

No, you can do whatever you want, but it ain't going to change things. Plus you can protest , write letters or whatever, but you need need to moan about everything else or bash players before seeing them kick a ball. 

Just now, donnermeat said:

The MB is getting a bit of a going over by positivity.

It's a difficult concept for many Rovers fans and I'm one of them.

I blame May and the heatwave.

Everyone should just watch Cricket. Football pain will start soon enough.

Meanwhile though it is quite amusing seeing posters argue about stuff they know the sum total of nothing about.

No, you can do whatever you want, but it ain't going to change things. Plus you can protest , write letters or whatever, but you need need to moan about everything else or bash players before seeing them kick a ball. 

Personally I don't comment to much on players on this thread.

It is reaching the stage where I do not even know their name until some pretend football Manager geek decides to throw it in the hat.

It's an open MB and doesn't need moderation counselling from you. Posters can post what they want within MB rules.

Archived