SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many positives about Smallwood imo.

- TM knows him and that counts for a lot.

- He is a defensive mid that we need

- He is replacing Lowe so would have to be utterly abysmal to be any worse

Problem is, ignoring the loan to Scunny bit, he played for Rotherham last year. Now I know people say a bad team can still have good players - indeed that's how we weren't cut adrift thanks to some magic from the few decent players we had under Clueless. But Rotherham were. In a poor division they were a country mile worse than anyone else. Good players in that lot? Well given how far down they finished - miles below anyone else - that to me shows collectively that they were a pretty awful bunch. I can't remember the last time a team was so adrift, and it shouts out that all of their players were nowhere near the standard required of a championship team/ So, ok we're now in league 1, but realistically based on last seasons showing I don't think any Rotherham player did anything to convince me that they are of a good league 1 quality. Look at Burton for example - their league 1 players, as in players who stuck around, showed they were solid by being competitive, not to mention staying up. Rotherham players were anything but competitive. Not sure this is a promotion material type of signing.

• Backroom
7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Whittingham and Gallagher are different situations and different players.

I gave a list of players a couple of weeks ago which was sensible and realistic. I have a very good football knowledge. I mainly look at the free transfer market.

it isn't hard work at all. Just basic football knowledge is need

I posted the Info when I received. it was at 19.49 pm Sunday night. BoroBlue came after I said it would be done within 48 hours

You have officially become a parody well done!

nobody who has ever had a good knowledge of anything has had to quantify it with 'I have a very good knowledge of....' 

these things are obvious 

StattoBBC_468x312.jpg

Just now, Blue blood said:

Many positives about Smallwood imo.

- TM knows him and that counts for a lot.

- He is a defensive mid that we need

- He is replacing Lowe so would have to be utterly abysmal to be any worse

Problem is, ignoring the loan to Scunny bit, he played for Rotherham last year. Now I know people say a bad team can still have good players - indeed that's how we weren't cut adrift thanks to some magic from the few decent players we had under Clueless. But Rotherham were. In a poor division they were a country mile worse than anyone else. Good players in that lot? Well given how far down they finished - miles below anyone else - that to me shows collectively that they were a pretty awful bunch. I can't remember the last time a team was so adrift, and it shouts out that all of their players were nowhere near the standard required of a championship team/ So, ok we're now in league 1, but realistically based on last seasons showing I don't think any Rotherham player did anything to convince me that they are of a good league 1 quality. Look at Burton for example - their league 1 players, as in players who stuck around, showed they were solid by being competitive, not to mention staying up. Rotherham players were anything but competitive. Not sure this is a promotion material type of signing.

I had similar thoughts as you. Then I thought about recent examples that can prove this wrong. Pickford for Sunderland being the biggest. Good players can be made to look terrible in a poorly organised team. There's plenty of examples of players that have been relegated that have gone on to better clubs and performed above the standard they shown for their former employer.

Let's hope Smallwood is one of them. 

• Backroom
Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

I had similar thoughts as you. Then I thought about recent examples that can prove this wrong. Pickford for Sunderland being the biggest. Good players can be made to look terrible in a poorly organised team. There's plenty of examples of players that have been relegated that have gone on to better clubs and performed above the standard they shown for their former employer.

Yeah, most of ours in recent years!

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

The Turkish Messi looks a good un', but does anybody really expect us to pay a fee for anyone?

Fees can be offset against wages but things as tight as they are with Mulgrew freeney Bennett stokes Graham still here and only Williams 200k in three years I'm siding with form here and saying no

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Fees can be offset against wages but things as tight as they are with Mulgrew freeney Bennett stokes Graham still here and only Williams 200k in three years I'm siding with form here and saying no

Is Feeney on a big wage? 7-8k a week maximum I'd say, if that.

Giving Stokes a 3 year contract was a terrible decision. He is the sort of man to see x amount a week incoming wage for 3 years and realise he has to do nothing else to earn that except turn up. If there was ever a man that doesn't deserve a long contract. He goes down in the same column as Murphy et al. A true symptom of modern day football is parasites like him.

All of the above is a shame because undoubtedly the boy has some talent. In the few times I have seen him play I have always been quietly impressed. He just seems to miss the boss figure to make him knuckle down and get on with his job because, with that person in his life, he could be doing far better for himself than picking up a wage and making himself look like a tool.

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Let's hope Smallwood is one of them. 

So I thought of Sunderland as an example too, although thought of Defoe rather than Pickford, but I think there is a difference.

Rotherham finished 19 points from the second to bottom team in the table, and 28 from safety (if my maths is correct.) Now Sunderland were pretty shocking, 16 points from safety but - they were only 4 points below second from bottom, and there's still a 12 point less gap between them and safety which is pretty massive. Granted Rotherham played more games, but then the counter argument is whilst there are some very strong teams in the premiership, no one in the championship was that good/that much better than the rest. As in the top 6 in the Prem are far ahead of the rest, the top 6 in the championship were a bit meh at times and quite beatable so Rotherham had a better chance of picking up points. Imo Rotherham really were in a league of their own.

I hope you're right and TM knowing him and his replacing of Lowe, eases my worry. And I'm not trying to say relegated or bad teams don't/can't have good players. It's just Rotherham imo were so bad and so far behind I struggle to believe that there'll be anything promising in there.

1 minute ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Giving Stokes a 3 year contract was a terrible decision. He is the sort of man to see x amount a week incoming wage for 3 years and realise he has to do nothing else to earn that except turn up. If there was ever a man that doesn't deserve a long contract. He goes down in the same column as Murphy et al. A true symptom of modern day football is parasites like him.

All of the above is a shame because undoubtedly the boy has some talent. In the few times I have seen him play I have always been quietly impressed. He just seems to miss the boss figure to make him knuckle down and get on with his job because, with that person in his life, he could be doing far better for himself than picking up a wage and making himself look like a tool.

Feeney was on 19k a week at Bolton hence why they loaned him to Ipswich. He'd still be around the 14k mark as is stokes.

Just now, Blue blood said:

So I thought of Sunderland as an example too, although thought of Defoe rather than Pickford, but I think there is a difference.

Rotherham finished 19 points from the second to bottom team in the table, and 28 from safety (if my maths is correct.) Now Sunderland were pretty shocking, 16 points from safety but - they were only 4 points below second from bottom, and there's still a 12 point less gap between them and safety which is pretty massive. Granted Rotherham played more games, but then the counter argument is whilst there are some very strong teams in the premiership, no one in the championship was that good/that much better than the rest. As in the top 6 in the Prem are far ahead of the rest, the top 6 in the championship were a bit meh at times and quite beatable so Rotherham had a better chance of picking up points. Imo Rotherham really were in a league of their own.

I hope you're right and TM knowing him and his replacing of Lowe, eases my worry. And I'm not trying to say relegated or bad teams don't/can't have good players. It's just Rotherham imo were so bad and so far behind I struggle to believe that there'll be anything promising in there.

Yep there is a difference in class between Sunderland & Rotherham and between the Championship and the PL. Although class is relative so of course we have to take a relative view on it.

However, other examples could be from Aston Villa. Scott Sinclair for example was part of the worst Villa squad in history. He dropped down a level to the Scottish league to a team that should walk the league and he had a string of unbelievable performances.

That said, this is all speculation. You can't compare Villa to Rotherham, Celtic to us, SPL to League 1 or indeed Sinclair to Smallwood. You are right though in that it is a worry with how poor Rotherham were last year. I can only hope TM has done his homework on this lad and not simply been offered him on the cheap to fill the gap left by Lowe. 

1 hour ago, Suhail Slayer said:

Tumbleweeds blowing past Ewood to the faint echoes of polite clapping

Excitement in some quarters that we will hire someone from Rotherham who finished where last season ? Sounds like that might strengthen our team. This season is going to be so bad !

Fortunately I have already decided to spend my second season as NAPM unless of course the idiots vacate the club, at which time I will immediately pop down & buy a season ticket.

I've pretty much decided to end my exile.  Towards the end of the season my heart started pumping blue and white blood around my veins and I started caring again.

Re players, we can only equip ourselves for the league we are in and it seems to me that Mowbray will go about his business sensibly.  Criticism (by some) of signing very good quality Championship players, or players with League One promotion on their CV's is plainly idiotic.  Like when we signed the likes of Hignett, they fit the bill for the league you are in and have the attitude, skill and guile to get you out of it. Horses for courses, so to speak.

It has become obvious to me that the Venkys will go when they choose, not when they are told.  We aren't as important a part of their lives, as they are to us.  I personally think that if we can drag ourselves into a position where their asset has more value, they will then cut and run.  Their empty seats in the JW are no longer going to prevent me from getting behind the manager and anyone who'll give their all for the shirt I've worn for most of my life.  

• Backroom

In isolation bringing in one or two players like Smallwood isn't an issue, but when you make a habit of bringing in players from relegated clubs or players who are cast offs from clubs in the same division it only ends one way. If we continue on the same transfer course as the last couple of years we will soon be playing in League Two. Let's hope Mowbray can stop that from happening. 

Just now, Pedro said:

I've pretty much decided to end my exile.  Towards the end of the season my heart started pumping blue and white blood around my veins and I started caring again.

Re players, we can only equip ourselves for the league we are in and it seems to me that Mowbray will go about his business sensibly.  Criticism (by some) of signing very good quality Championship players, or players with League One promotion on their CV's is plainly idiotic.  Like when we signed the likes of Hignett, they fit the bill for the league you are in and have the attitude, skill and guile to get you out of it. Horses for courses, so to speak.

It has become obvious to me that the Venkys will go when they choose, not when they are told.  We aren't as important a part of their lives, as they are to us.  I personally think that if we can drag ourselves into a position where their asset has more value, they will then cut and run.  Their empty seats in the JW are no longer going to prevent me from getting behind the manager and anyone who'll give their all for the shirt I've worn for most of my life.  

Wouldn't be as rude to suggest it's plainly idiotic I think some of the points are quite valid personally.

Understand the rest of your post, I toyed with the idea of buying a new ST, when it comes down to it il likely miss the midweek games through work commitments and tbh I just don't enjoy watching us anymore, i don't like associating myself with the turgid efforts of the club these days and simply Put I've much better things to do these days. Will catch up on some of the games on a Saturday with a few lads and go and more importantly it'll be the beers before and after why making a day off it more than anything not because I have any overwhelming desire to attend.

41 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Stokes found another hobby too make up for his lack of game time last season. Apparently he goes in Clitheroe's William Hill betting hundreds of pounds per race on the dogs. Those Irishmen love a bet! 

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

As it is your next statement is arrogant and dismissive to others who for many good reasons (kids? a life outside football? not having seen this division for 20+ years?) may not have that info.

Well firstly, I have 2 kids and missus who in past months has been in hospital for serious operations. We as family have other interest as I am the Football fan in the family. I love for football but also have other interests aswell. so if you want to watch lower league football and players then you can.

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

The Turkish Messi looks a good un', but does anybody really expect us to pay a fee for anyone?

if Mowbray is looking at him then it would suggest money is available

1 hour ago, Suhail Slayer said:

Tumbleweeds blowing past Ewood to the faint echoes of polite clapping

Excitement in some quarters that we will hire someone from Rotherham who finished where last season ? Sounds like that might strengthen our team. This season is going to be so bad !

Fortunately I have already decided to spend my second season as NAPM unless of course the idiots vacate the club, at which time I will immediately pop down & buy a season ticket.

sad to hear that you been getting a season ticket

54 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

we don't know what this season budget is this season and we only know about what type of budget we have apart from Mowbray's recent comments

The Stokes figures are correct, which is why getting him out to Hib's is a big ask, top earner at Hibs is on around 4k a week! So we'd have to front 10k a week for the next 2 years just for him to not play for us! I'm not sure Stokes is that wanted by Hibees fans either, he's had a lot of bad press in Scotland recently and aside from his heroic hunskelping in the scots cup final he's done sod all else of note since. 

• Moderation Lead
Just now, Butty said:

Stokes found another hobby too make up for his lack of game time last season. Apparently he goes in Clitheroe's William Hill betting hundreds of pounds per race on the dogs. Those Irishmen love a bet! 

He obviously doesn't care who knows what he's up to! It's not as if you can't have a sneaky bet these days on any number of devices pretty much anywhere......

Just now, K-Hod said:

He obviously doesn't care who knows what he's up to! It's not as if you can't have a sneaky bet these days on any number of devices pretty much anywhere......

Well he does strike me as an arrogant guy, he's just got one of them faces of a person who'd punch you for looking at him the wrong way (Like Elvis did) :lol: Shame really, if he got his head down this season he'd surely be able too score a few in League one because the lad does have ability which is the frustrating thing. <_<

Just now, Butty said:

Well he does strike me as an arrogant guy, he's just got one of them faces of a person who'd punch you for looking at him the wrong way (Like Elvis did) :lol: Shame really, if he got his head down this season he'd surely be able too score a few in League one because the lad does have ability which is the frustrating thing. <_<

Well if I had to pick sides, I am squarely with Elvis.

Once upon a time, I would have said what a ridiculous signing. Now, it just seems like more arrogant impunity. I really wonder who is taking the kick backs.

Stokes can take his Coyle/agent wedge back the Ghetto...

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

we don't know what this season budget is this season and we only know about what type of budget we have apart from Mowbray's recent comments

Christ Chris we've signed nobody for a fee in years, excessive wages from willy nilly contracts handed out to be supplemented. I'd say whilst we don't know entirely it's pretty indicative looking at the form.

Just because we've fashioned up our 8th manager does not mean money will be available see lambert and coyle for examples.

10 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

The one who has just joined is on a downward trajectory. The one who has just left is on an upward trajectory. However, Whitto may turn out to be far more important to Rovers then Gally ever was. Funny old game...

So in essence your supporting our downward trajectory. 

7 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Wouldn't be as rude to suggest it's plainly idiotic I think some of the points are quite valid personally.

Understand the rest of your post, I toyed with the idea of buying a new ST, when it comes down to it il likely miss the midweek games through work commitments and tbh I just don't enjoy watching us anymore, i don't like associating myself with the turgid efforts of the club these days and simply Put I've much better things to do these days. Will catch up on some of the games on a Saturday with a few lads and go and more importantly it'll be the beers before and after why making a day off it more than anything not because I have any overwhelming desire to attend.

The idiotic quote was me skirting over those occasionally banging on about Premiership quality players etc. Which is totally irrelevant to the situation we are in. We need people to get us out of League One at the first time of asking, effort and experience is the key for me.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Christ Chris we've signed nobody for a fee in years, excessive wages from willy nilly contracts handed out to be supplemented. I'd say whilst we don't know entirely it's pretty indicative looking at the form.

Just because we've fashioned up our 8th manager does not mean money will be available see lambert and coyle for examples.

Very true but if Mowbray is looking at players Gladwin, Bostock and Oztumer then it would suggest they could be money available. 

Its appears all 3 players have 12 months left on their contracts at their current clubs

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well firstly, I have 2 kids and missus who in past months has been in hospital for serious operations. We as family have other interest as I am the Football fan in the family. I love for football but also have other interests aswell. so if you want to watch lower league football and players then you can.

I'm really sorry to hear about your missus - that's gutting and I hope she recovers quickly.

It still sounds pretty arrogant though. And as you point out they can, but they also have the right not to for all sorts of reasons (the point I was making.) Again, friendly advice, which seems to be missing the mark.

Archived