BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Leeds Away In The Efl Cup

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A hard fought and tight game with little between the teams. Leeds had that bit of luck at the end with the goal which was the only difference between the sides. There were a number of plus points for Coyle tonight with the performances of Lenihan, Nyambe and Raya in particular. Bennett looked decent before he tired and Gallagher worked hard as the lone striker. Emnes again looked a class act when he came on. I thought Byrne was a disappointment and struggled to get into the game and Feeney is struggling to find any sort of form. Apart from those two I thought the rest were fairly decent and Coyle got his selection and substitutions right on the night. There has been very little between the sides in both games with Chris Wood being the main difference.

Sorry Parson but I can't agree with you on Raya. He makes some good saves but every game I've seen him in he gives a goal away because he can't stick hold of the ball. We really need a new keeper in January with Steele as backup.

• Moderation Lead

Not a simpleton , however its showing you do not yet grasp the thinkings of the average happy clapping superfan

How did you post at 10:28 when it's only 10:15

I edited it, then deleted it, but then you managed to quote it before I hit the kill switch.

Spooky!

Perhaps, but we still lost. Tactics and selection can only be right if the game ends successfully. As we are out of the cup, clearly it didn't go to plan. Unless you're saying it was impossible to beat Leeds away from home and a 1-0 loss was the best result we could have hoped for.

It would have been more accurate to say he nearly got it right, wouldn't it?

Certainly not. You could win a game with a faulty tactical approach just as well you could lose a game with a correct one. Not saying that's what happened yesterday though. Coyle doesn't seem to be much of a tactician anyway, he's simply putting the players he like on the field and lets them sort it out amongst themselves.

• Backroom

Certainly not. You could win a game with a faulty tactical approach just as well you could lose a game with a correct one. Not saying that's what happened yesterday though. Coyle doesn't seem to be much of a tactician anyway, he's simply putting the players he like on the field and lets them sort it out amongst themselves.

If you win a game with a faulty tactical approach then it was ultimately still the correct one, regardless of whether it should have worked. You can't lose a game and then say tactics and selection were right, it makes no sense, especially when you're playing a team that are on a similar level.

But yes, similar to GB, we're basically under tactics of 'try to score more than they do, lads'. The outstanding candidate.

If you win a game with a faulty tactical approach then it was ultimately still the correct one, regardless of whether it should have worked. You can't lose a game and then say tactics and selection were right, it makes no sense, especially when you're playing a team that are on a similar level.

But yes, similar to GB, we're basically under tactics of 'try to score more than they do, lads'. The outstanding candidate.

Not sure I agree DE - there's a number of reasons why a team doesn't win a game aside from faulty tactics. Luck, bad refereeing decisions, injuries, poor finishing - the tactics could be spot on yer all of those things is the difference maker and invalidates the tactics.

Mind you to say Coyle has got his tactics right regardless of results, positive or negative, is stretching it. The man is groping about in the dark for a formation and tactics to work, and changes it at least once or twice a game.

• Backroom

Not sure I agree DE - there's a number of reasons why a team doesn't win a game aside from faulty tactics. Luck, bad refereeing decisions, injuries, poor finishing - the tactics could be spot on yer all of those things is the difference maker and invalidates the tactics.

We're talking selection as well as tactics, so poor finishing and injuries (if subs aren't adequate and tactics aren't altered accordingly) can both still fall within the boundaries quite easily.

Bad refereeing is admittedly out of the manager's control, but it isn't that often a game is decided by a referee and it certainly wasn't the case against Leeds.

• Backroom

We've all seen a team lose a game they've tactically dominated. We've also watched teams win games they've been second best in.

But it isn't the norm. I can't comment on the game myself as I wasn't there, but I reckon if we've been losing so readily in most other games, I struggle to believe we 'got our tactics right' with yet another loss.

That being said, the team selection was a huge factor.

But it isn't the norm. I can't comment on the game myself as I wasn't there, but I reckon if we've been losing so readily in most other games, I struggle to believe we 'got our tactics right' with yet another loss.

That being said, the team selection was a huge factor.

Why can't posters give a report without being turned on for a sentence or two that fails to echo the norm? Those who disagree with the idea that tactics can be correct or positive without the same result, where is your team report?

I didn't watch the game but sounded an even affair on the radio - which was suprising since we had Lenihan and Nyambe at centre half for most of it! I've no time for coyle but it seems a bit ridiculous using that reasoning to bash others who still watch and report.

You know as well as I do, this is not about the game - it's about rounding on someone's opinion when it suits.

Why can't posters give a report without being turned on for a sentence or two that fails to echo the norm? Those who disagree with the idea that tactics can be correct or positive without the same result, where is your team report?

I didn't watch the game but sounded an even affair on the radio - which was suprising since we had Lenihan and Nyambe at centre half for most of it! I've no time for coyle but it seems a bit ridiculous using that reasoning to bash others who still watch and report.

You know as well as I do, this is not about the game - it's about rounding on someone's opinion when it suits.

Whilst I agree the rounding on parsonblue is a bit unfair at times I don't see where he's been rounded upon here. Disagreements with how the game went is exactly what this messageboard is about. Parsonblue is big enough and ugly enough to defend his own viewpoint. If we all just went around going "ah yeah ok, your opinion", "sure pal, you could be right" etc etc there wouldn't be much point. It would just be a series of facebook type posts on a messageboard. We are here to disagree with each other but we should keep it healthy. This topic has been healthy debate.

• Backroom

I certainly wasn't attempting to round on Parson, but imo only in exceptional circumstances can it be said a manager got his tactics and selection spot on and yet the team lost. I accept that on occasion it can happen, but usually only with the help of the referee, the players purposefully wanting to lose (Mourinho before he got sacked at Chelsea, for example) or multiple injuries happening in the same game.

I can't imagine any of the above relate to us on Tuesday so I strongly disagree with the suggestion the tactics/selection were correct. If Parson thinks otherwise then that is fine, but I can't share that view.

Whilst I agree the rounding on parsonblue is a bit unfair at times I don't see where he's been rounded upon here. Disagreements with how the game went is exactly what this messageboard is about. Parsonblue is big enough and ugly enough to defend his own viewpoint. If we all just went around going "ah yeah ok, your opinion", "sure pal, you could be right" etc etc there wouldn't be much point. It would just be a series of facebook type posts on a messageboard. We are here to disagree with each other but we should keep it healthy. This topic has been healthy debate.

You are right that it doesn't bother me - water off a duck's back as they say. However, I also agree with you that you can have disagreements and still keep it reasonable. It's a messageboard for discussing Rovers and obviously opinions about performances, players and managers will always vary - it's what makes it such a wonderful game. But I agree with Jbizzle that at times some of the stuff on here goes over the top which I don't believe is necessary.

There must be a lot of posts removed is all I can say.

Maybe they should be left so that everyone can see the so called 'abuse' and we can all judge them appropriately. As it is some people are getting very hacked off and defensive, and those trying to be reasonable are being left taking the criticism.

#censorshipout

• Moderation Lead

I don't want to take this too far off topic, but, to be fair, there haven't really haven't been many posts removed in recent days at all. Definitely not in this thread either.

I don't want to take this too far off topic, but, to be fair, there haven't really haven't been many posts removed in recent days at all. Definitely not in this thread either.

Irony being yours that was removed was the main one I had issue with but here are two more examples;

So we lost to Leeds for the second time this season, had less possession, less shots and less shots on target, but Coyle got his selection and tactics right. OK.

Not a simpleton , however its showing you do not yet grasp the thinkings of the average happy clapping superfan

How did you post at 10:28 when it's only 10:15

Archived