BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Leeds Away In The Efl Cup

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coyle gave the other half of the first team squad the chance to impress and they failed utterly and miserably.

We really have very few decent players to choose from.

Must be hard to impress in such a thrown together side, they really were put out there to lose tonight. Which will make Coyle look like an absolute clown if the Derby game ends in anything but a victory.

Personally I am disappointed that Coyle opted to make such sweeping changes to his team. I think a win was there for the taking today against a very fragile Leeds side and had we gone there with a stronger side and a real determination to progress in the competition then the story could have been different.

In the end there were a lot of parallels tonight with the league game last week. Overall neither side offered a lot to the occasion, real opportunities were hard to come by, our best chance to go ahead came through Emnes, Leeds just about managed to survive, and then within a matter of minutes had gone down the other end and scored a soft goal. The moment Chris Wood was brought on I knew he was going to be the one who came on and scored for them.

Coyle has now heaped (or should have heaped if he is being judged on results) additional pressure on his shoulders ahead of the Derby game on Saturday. He's going to have a hard time blaming injuries/fatigue having made the decision to prioritise the League over the Cup and send out a weakened side in a very much winnable cup fixture. In his interview post match he's seemingly pointing to the wholesale changes as a reason why we lost as though he had no choice but to make them. Only Lowe and Gallagher started from Saturday, in contrast 6 of those who started for Derby tonight also started in their game at Bristol City at the weekend. So I'll be very keen to see which of the two sides is best prepared for the game on Saturday.

Another odd line up at Derby should make it another sure thing, ok odds won't be great but if you can bet big it's fill yer boots time again.

Follow it up with a home game and actually set them up in training to be solid and have a go. Odds on win might be decent as well plus a decent effort would be just enough to keep the real pressure off from the crowd.

A pattern we've seen very regularly since takeover.

A hard fought and tight game with little between the teams. Leeds had that bit of luck at the end with the goal which was the only difference between the sides. There were a number of plus points for Coyle tonight with the performances of Lenihan, Nyambe and Raya in particular. Bennett looked decent before he tired and Gallagher worked hard as the lone striker. Emnes again looked a class act when he came on. I thought Byrne was a disappointment and struggled to get into the game and Feeney is struggling to find any sort of form. Apart from those two I thought the rest were fairly decent and Coyle got his selection and substitutions right on the night. There has been very little between the sides in both games with Chris Wood being the main difference.

A hard fought and tight game with little between the teams. Leeds had that bit of luck at the end with the goal which was the only difference between the sides. There were a number of plus points for Coyle tonight with the performances of Lenihan, Nyambe and Raya in particular. Bennett looked decent before he tired and Gallagher worked hard as the lone striker. Emnes again looked a class act when he came on. I thought Byrne was a disappointment and struggled to get into the game and Feeney is struggling to find any sort of form. Apart from those two I thought the rest were fairly decent and Coyle got his selection and substitutions right on the night. There has been very little between the sides in both games with Chris Wood being the main difference.

Feeney and Byrne were awful. Feeney just doesnt know how to pass a ball to a team mate.

Chris Wood does like scoring against us. I still remember him scoring a great goal against us for Millwall at Ewood Park.

A very poor game with both teams showing a lack of any quality.

Gallagher looks like he can't play up front on his own.

Raya needs to learn to catch the ball, his fault for the goal. Palmed far too many shots into the feet of Leeds players. He almost threw it up for Wood to nod it in.

The rest were just poor.

We needed two up front, Emnes should have started, we would have possibly been out of sight by the time Wood came on.

• Backroom

So we lost to Leeds for the second time this season, had less possession, less shots and less shots on target, but Coyle got his selection and tactics right. OK.

So we lost to Leeds for the second time this season, had less possession, less shots and less shots on target, but Coyle got his selection and tactics right. OK.

You're right he did. With the players available I thought he set the team up OK. There was very little to choose between the sides and the game - whilst nowhere near the standard of football of last Saturday - was a fairly tight affair. Lenihan and Nyambe looked very good in the heart of the defence and Raya again showed what a fine prospect he is.

• Backroom

You're right he did. With the players available I thought he set the team up OK. There was very little to choose between the sides and the game - whilst nowhere near the standard of football of last Saturday - was a fairly tight affair. Lenihan and Nyambe looked very good in the heart of the defence and Raya again showed what a fine prospect he is.

Perhaps, but we still lost. Tactics and selection can only be right if the game ends successfully. As we are out of the cup, clearly it didn't go to plan. Unless you're saying it was impossible to beat Leeds away from home and a 1-0 loss was the best result we could have hoped for.

It would have been more accurate to say he nearly got it right, wouldn't it?

Needlessly adds pressure on himself does Coyle.

Made so many changes in order to keep the team fresh for the Derby game, which means he now needs a positive result in order to justify the Leeds game.

In the supporters eyes yes, he should be under added pressure to get at the very least a draw at Derby after so many players sat this one out. However in his bosses eyes I imagine its completely irrelevant in the overall scheme of things whether we get a result at Derby or not or whether we had gone on to reach the League Cup final or whether we'd have been humiliated at Mansfield in Round 1.

Derby have played 4 home league games this season. They've lost 2 and drawn 2 and are yet to score a single goal at home in the league.

Rovers ought to be going there fresh and ready for the game and full of confidence after the Rotherham win. Excuses about what a strong squad Derby have or what a lot of money they've spent will be infuriating.

Raya again showed why he should have spent last season on loan gaining valuable experience imo. Keepers can't afford to keep making cock ups, get the basics right first or you'll go nowhere.

Archived