BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hard to put a number on it. I'm with Tom here, it may take games to bed in. There's also the possibility that the squad could be strengthened again at the end of the window when it goes a bit daft.

However, you do often know that it's just not going to pan out relatively early on. Two recent examples being Ince (at his first press conference) and Kean (the day before the day he was conceived).

Berg had ten games, no back room support staff of his own, or a transfer window, and you'd have to conclude a "boardroom" of Singh v Agnew / Shaw to contend with. So that was farcical. Similarly, Appleton which was just a strange time (again) all round. 

So, yes, 10 games is often a yardstick of how the season will pan out. However, so long as they are showing desire and fight - have won a few and you get the feeling that they'll only get better then that would do for me and I'd be happy to give TM more time. After all, generally speaking, the "Rao" circus steam in with some trade mark idiotic decision making every time a manager who speaks a bit of sense leaves. 

2 hours ago, OJRovers said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting otherwise.

Automatic promotion should be the aim given the riches available to Mowbray (compared to the rest of the league). 

Hopefully we'll do it, but the point is that we can't go on accepting underachievement at the club. E.g. When top 10 was seen as an achievement by Bowyer when he had one of the highest budgets in the league.

Top 2 is the aim. Mowbray and the players have said this. 

23 minutes ago, MGPensioner said:

TM has got 10 games to be top or hes gone.

Just leave him to get on with the job. He knows what the aim is and should be allow to carry out the job. 

7 minutes ago, MGPensioner said:

That should be what he gets

last season shows what waiting does

teams who acted stayed up. we didn't.

expectation is champions so he needs to go after 10 if not top

his recent record is relegation and bottom of L1 before that

he talks well but that means nowt "on the grass"

judged by results

Give it a rest pal. 

His record at Coventry in a full season was 8th with.Armstrong, Kent and Murphy in the team. 

Season after budget cut by 50% and they struggle and was expect to be honest

5 minutes ago, MGPensioner said:

judged by results

Right you are, thanks for confirming it was your opinion.

5 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Nobody with any sense would put an arbitrary number on it.  We went down that road with Berg and Appleton and it got us nowhere.  Every manager needs time to get the right players and then get them to perform as a unit.

Seems that football now has a limited span of ten games and you are out.  Furphy, Lee, Kendall and dear old Bob, in his second season, should have been out on there ear listening to some on here.  Six consecutive defeats for Kenny in 91-92 would have led to cries for the sack according to the logic now being adopted.

Factor in that TM actually has had more than 10 games of next season. He's also had last season to assess and work with half the squad. Then there's last season's failure to achieve his (tough but doable) target. Plus I'm sure the resources at his disposal are a lot more than all bar Kenny had.

When you factor in all of that 10 games is very reasonable time to assess him.

1 hour ago, MGPensioner said:

judged by results

"...and today Blackburn Rovers sacked Tony Mowbray despite the club being 2nd in the division, behind leaders Bradford City only on goal difference. A club spokesman said it was responding to concerns of the fans who had stated that nothing less than top after 10 games would suffice. Tony Mowbray was unavailable for comment as he was too busy laughing into his compensation cheque. Rovers have appointed David Dunn as caretaker for 10 games....In other news..."

10 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Factor in that TM actually has had more than 10 games of next season. He's also had last season to assess and work with half the squad. Then there's last season's failure to achieve his (tough but doable) target. Plus I'm sure the resources at his disposal are a lot more than all bar Kenny had.

When you factor in all of that 10 games is very reasonable time to assess him.

Mowbray has had more money to spend than Hodgson, Kidd, Souness, Hughes, Allardyce & Kean ? 

20 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

Mowbray has had more money to spend than Hodgson, Kidd, Souness, Hughes, Allardyce & Kean ? 

Hughes, BSA from my following had far lesser net spends. Best manager in my life is Hughes and to think after Bolton (Kean) he was willing to come. 

24 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

"...and today Blackburn Rovers sacked Tony Mowbray despite the club being 2nd in the division, behind leaders Bradford City only on goal difference. A club spokesman said it was responding to concerns of the fans who had stated that nothing less than top after 10 games would suffice. Tony Mowbray was unavailable for comment as he was too busy laughing into his compensation cheque. Rovers have appointed David Dunn as caretaker for 10 games....In other news..."

Well we know that's idiocy when we have Venkys responding to fans! That's why we've a load of fans not willing to protest as apparently it's no affect, or worse still appointing Coyke in light of s back lash.

LOL

In 2000/01 we had a fairly poor start to the season, despite having a superb squad for the second tier, I don't think we got into the top two till around Feb?

Should Souness have been out October time when we were mid table?

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Top 2 is the aim. Mowbray and the players have said this. 

Just leave him to get on with the job. He knows what the aim is and should be allow to carry out the job. 

Give it a rest pal. 

His record at Coventry in a full season was 8th with.Armstrong, Kent and Murphy in the team. 

Season after budget cut by 50% and they struggle and was expect to be honest

8th with a Decent side was way off the mark and not good enough Chaddy 

I think by November we'll know how it's panning out

14 minutes ago, MGPensioner said:

At last we find one of those who thinks Coyle needed more time.

We are in the THIRD DIVISION !!

Wakey Wakey

Aye, big Coyle fan me! We were just about to turn a corner, I mean just think about that heroic draw against Rotherham...

13 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

No I wouldnt. Unless we are bottom half 

Just let him get on with managing the club and leading us to promotion. 

So essentially you are saying what I am saying. 4 wins out of 10 is bottom half form. I'm not advocating reviewing (note I didn't say sacking before you attempt to jump on a bandwagon) TMs job based on league position but based on league results.

How can he lead us to promotion from the bottom half? One sentence you claim you'll only get rid if he's bottom half, then you say to let him get on with managing the club. Which one is it?

15 hours ago, meadows said:

What if the next bloke comes in and goes badly for ten games? 

It's a symptom of modern football. Whilst I'm certainly not saying that 10 games is the benchmark for a sacking, moreover a review, it's a good indication of how the season is going to go. What we can't do is revert back to rash decisions and sacking managers on a whim but at the same time we can't afford to leave it too late as we did with Coyle. Surviving a league is much easier than gaining promotion.

Personally I'd say October/November is a fair time to start considering the position of your manager if you expect automatic promotion but if we lose 9 out of our 10 first games then his position is untenable. It's all subjective, of course. 

2 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

So essentially you are saying what I am saying. 4 wins out of 10 is bottom half form. I'm not advocating reviewing (note I didn't say sacking before you attempt to jump on a bandwagon) TMs job based on league position but based on league results.

How can he lead us to promotion from the bottom half? One sentence you claim you'll only get rid if he's bottom half, then you say to let him get on with managing the club. Which one is it?

It's a symptom of modern football. Whilst I'm certainly not saying that 10 games is the benchmark for a sacking, moreover a review, it's a good indication of how the season is going to go. What we can't do is revert back to rash decisions and sacking managers on a whim but at the same time we can't afford to leave it too late as we did with Coyle. Surviving a league is much easier than gaining promotion.

Personally I'd say October/November is a fair time to start considering the position of your manager if you expect automatic promotion but if we lose 9 out of our 10 first games then his position is untenable. It's all subjective, of course. 

after sleeping on my thoughts I would give Mowbray the season.

Mowbray has said promotion is the aim and 90 points will be needed to achieve this. Expectations are high from Mowbray and its the first time I heard a manager since we gone down from PL talk about promotion is the aim and a points total aim aswell

So he wants 9 points per month, how will that be looking after the first ten games ?   He's certainly setting his benchmark high, nowt wrong with that it's about time we had that mentality again.

So those having a pop at fans 10 game expectation need to lay off the gaffer has it himself !

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

after sleeping on my thoughts I would give Mowbray the season.

Mowbray has said promotion is the aim and 90 points will be needed to achieve this. Expectations are high from Mowbray and its the first time I heard a manager since we gone down from PL talk about promotion is the aim and a points total aim aswell

The gift that keeps on giving. Flip-flop-flip-flop.

Sleep on it again should we be 14th in December. There's always a right time to get rid of a manager if his performances aren't up to scratch. It's no good giving a manager a season if there's 0 progress on the pitch and not a whiff of change.

10 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

The gift that keeps on giving. Flip-flop-flip-flop.

Sleep on it again should we be 14th in December. There's always a right time to get rid of a manager if his performances aren't up to scratch. It's no good giving a manager a season if there's 0 progress on the pitch and not a whiff of change.

I reassessed my opinion.

There is no laws that say I cannot do this so get of my back and lets start talking football,

Think your being over generous there and you might be reassessing again although hopefully not.  TM himself has come out with his own expectations so he needs to be there or thereabouts.

Piddling around in mid table this season isn't good enough to guarantee him another season imo and i'm a big fan of his but as things stand it's aim high and stay around there although we know there will be blips where everyone has to stand firm and stay united.

24 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I reassessed my opinion.

There is no laws that say I cannot do this so get of my back and lets start talking football,

We are talking football.....................and part of that discussion is that you change your mind like the wind. People can't be expected to ignore the fact your opinion ON FOOTBALL changes every other day.

Why are you allowed to disagree with people but when people do so with you it's "getting on your back". I'm hardly going personal - we are discussing whether or not it's right to consider sacking TM after a specific amount of games.

Sick of reading this "let's start talking football" line from you when 98% of the time people are. Grow up, man.

25 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Think your being over generous there and you might be reassessing again although hopefully not.  TM himself has come out with his own expectations so he needs to be there or thereabouts.

Piddling around in mid table this season isn't good enough to guarantee him another season imo and i'm a big fan of his but as things stand it's aim high and stay around there although we know there will be blips where everyone has to stand firm and stay united.

IMO - we have to be hovering at least around top 6 after 10 matches. Most important is the way we are playing and possibly the nature of any defeats at that point.

I think we all remember the first few matches under Kean in the Championship - I think everyone could see that we couldn't maintain collating points on the back of what was some very poor general play.

As you say - TM is setting the expectations - and up to now our owners have surprised everyone by seemingly backing him. Though everyone is waiting with bated breath for the end of the transfer window.

We will be sending out his team - so in truth there can be no excuses - we will lose some matches through individual errors, bad refereeing decisions, injuries at wrong time etc - but personally I am looking for the right attitude from the players, good tactical awareness and preparation of the players (both fitness and tactical). If this is in place - we should have the players for at least a top 6 finish - and injuries permitting top 2.

BTW - though would prefer to keep - losing Mulgrew and Linehan may not be the worst thing in the world if Mowbray can bring in the right replacements. Each League has it's own demands - and having more technical gifted players like Mulgrew and Linehan may not be as beneficial as having an old fashioned 6ft 5in centre half (though would prefer both :-) )

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

We are talking football.....................and part of that discussion is that you change your mind like the wind. People can't be expected to ignore the fact your opinion ON FOOTBALL changes every other day.

Why are you allowed to disagree with people but when people do so with you it's "getting on your back". I'm hardly going personal - we are discussing whether or not it's right to consider sacking TM after a specific amount of games.

Sick of reading this "let's start talking football" line from you when 98% of the time people are. Grow up, man.

My opinion doesnt change like the wind at all. 

When I said lets talk Football, i meant the matches and I am looking for to the start of the live football tonight. Expect a Derby win. 

I have already said I wouldnt set a specific target after so many games for Mowbray to be. 

Mowbray has set the expectations and aims for the season now let him get on with acheving them

Archived