BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

4 hours ago, Athlete said:

Meant 4 months.. It was enough time 

As the old saying goes your only as good as your last job and we all know how that ended up 

No offence @Athlete but that's totally flawed...

Brian Clough... Leeds United.

If we were all as good as our last job, which is a bloody harsh philosophy to believe in anyway, I think most of us would be on the job scrapheap!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Phil T said:

If we were all as good as our last job, which is a bloody harsh philosophy to believe in anyway, I think most of us would be on the job scrapheap!

It's never black and white, even Owen Coyle has a promotion on his CV.

Not the start that Tony or any of us would've wanted yesterday but he's got time on his side, something he didn't have last season.

In isolation, he has no excuse for failure, this is his team and by previous standards for the division he has been "suitably backed". The pressure is on this Saturday! Despite that, even a heavy defeat wouldn't be enough to think about change.

If we are floundering winless after 5/6 games, my opinion would be changing swiftly however I expect us to gel and improve over the next few weeks.

18 minutes ago, Phil T said:

well...its an awful long time since TM was a success as a manager....

We are a rag and bone club now so it's obvious we're going to attract damaged goods with big F's on there report card, such as Mowbray. This club will never ever recover under the current ownership

Incompetant owners

Waffling billy bull perrenial failure managers

Terrible coaches

Pound shop players

The future will only get darker

“The Carabao Cup has to be respected,” Mowbray said. “We can draw huge Premier League clubs, or you can progress through the competition.

“Realistically, are we going to be involved in a Wembley final? Probably not.

“That’s not me being negative, as your aim is to win every game, the main target, and only target in Rovers’ fans eyes, is to get out of this league this season.

Does anyone else find this comment negative?

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

“The Carabao Cup has to be respected,” Mowbray said. “We can draw huge Premier League clubs, or you can progress through the competition.

“That’s not me being negative, as your aim is to win every game, the main target, and only target in Rovers’ fans eyes, is to get out of this league this season.

I find him very negative, last Saturday he was dampening down fan hopes and he's doing it again. Quite frankly he needs to whiten down get a few results because he's coming across a bit of a mouthpiece. We don't expect to win every game but let's just take each few games at a time and be set up to want to win each game at a time. Can't see him here in October November if he doesn't change.

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No.

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No.  I find it honest and realistic.  Promotion is the only target this season and nothing should be allowed to distract us from that.  I remember in 65-66 we went on a long run in the F.A. Cup and yet couldn't pick up a point in the League and ended up being relegated.

22 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

I find him very negative, last Saturday he was dampening down fan hopes and he's doing it again. Quite frankly he needs to whiten down get a few results because he's coming across a bit of a mouthpiece. We don't expect to win every game but let's just take each few games at a time and be set up to want to win each game at a time. Can't see him here in October November if he doesn't change.

19 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

No.

18 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

No.  I find it honest and realistic.  Promotion is the only target this season and nothing should be allowed to distract us from that.  I remember in 65-66 we went on a long run in the F.A. Cup and yet couldn't pick up a point in the League and ended up being relegated.

While it's unlikely we will make a final at Wembley(although isn't the League 1 play-off final here too?) , as a football fan I like to dream about romantic cup runs. I just thought it was unnecessary to dampen our hopes at this point. We are in the first round against a League 2 team. Let us dream God dammit! 

Is there any statistical evidence whatsoever which suggests that winning cup games has an impact on league results? I am very sceptical. All the top managers rest players in the cup competitions that aren't seen as being important.

53 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

I think It's a case of not enough news, too much information.  To fill the Telegraph back pages there's always going to be similar waffle.  When we lose, it just angers us.

We've got a horrendous record in this competition over the last few seasons.

2016 - victories over League Two sides Mansfield and Crewe and defeat to Championship rivals Leeds

2015 - Defeat at home to Shrewsbury in 1st round

2014 - Defeat at home to Scunthorpe in 1st round

2013 - Defeat at Carlisle on penalties in 1st round

2012 - Defeat at MK Dons in 1st round

Exits to lower league opposition in 5 of the last 6 seasons.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Negative - No

Honest and Focused - Yes

He like me does not really give a flying one about the Carabao - promotion first and last priority.

I think we need to win tonight, just to get the fans over the negative feeling, after the jolt on Saturday. If we go out tonight it ramps the pressure up even more for Saturday and we need some positivity for then. I know you can't say Saturday is a must win, but for the fans to keep the faith in Mowbray and harness some early season momentum, I see it as a must win already. That said, if I was given the choice now, of the three points on Saturday, or go through tonight, I would take the points. I don't have the choice though, so want both.

14 minutes ago, lraC said:

I think we need to win tonight, just to get the fans over the negative feeling, after the jolt on Saturday. If we go out tonight it ramps the pressure up even more for Saturday and we need some positivity for then. I know you can't say Saturday is a must win, but for the fans to keep the faith in Mowbray and harness some early season momentum, I see it as a must win already. That said, if I was given the choice now, of the three points on Saturday, or go through tonight, I would take the points. I don't have the choice though, so want both.

when people are given hypothetical choices, it is usually because there is little chance of winning both games. In our case I don't see any reason why we shouldn't win both. And yes I did go on Saturday.

45 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Is there any statistical evidence whatsoever which suggests that winning cup games has an impact on league results? I am very sceptical. All the top managers rest players in the cup competitions that aren't seen as being important.

The top managers are in a different position to Mowbray though. When we were in the PL we regularly fielded under strength teams, but we were in a position to field weakened sides while still being confident of winning the game. Now it's different. Mowbray can't do that. If  he wants to win virtually any game, he must pick his best team. If he doesn't pick his strongest team he knows the odds are stacked against us. Squad rotation isn't really a decent option any more.

4 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Winning breeds confidence and our players need some of that. id play a strong-ish side but give a start to Chapman and a few others on the fringes like Tomlinson.

Ya, I agree. I don't see the point of playing our team that played Saturday and will play again next weekend. Firstly we are risking injuries, secondly if we win people will say we should have beaten a League 2 team with our full strength line up, if we lose our "best" 11 is on a two game losing streak. 

It is a perfect game for Tomlinson, Chapman,Wharton, Ward, Doyle, Feeney etc imo 

42 minutes ago, den said:

The top managers are in a different position to Mowbray though. When we were in the PL we regularly fielded under strength teams, but we were in a position to field weakened sides while still being confident of winning the game. Now it's different. Mowbray can't do that. If  he wants to win virtually any game, he must pick his best team. If he doesn't pick his strongest team he knows the odds are stacked against us. Squad rotation isn't really a decent option any more.

I get that, but there is no guarantee our first 11 will win, and if they don't, it will be more detrimental to the confidence of both fans and players than if our weakened team got beat. Besides, do you think the team that I posted earlier: 

Leutweiler

Caddis Ward Williams Doyle

Feeney Evans Tomlinson Chapman

Gladwin

Samuel

Is that much weaker than our strongest 11 (bearing in mind that Dack and Lenihan are injured).

• Backroom
3 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Yet we won the Worthy Cup and winning mentality kept us up.

Archived