BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

35 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would imagine being seen as a manager who breaks contract without a break clause would not look good to other potential employers...

What's average tenure around 14 months? It's probably more common than we think in football as a way of protecting either party.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question before the season starts is 'how long are you giving Mowbray?' before he should be under pressure to be replaced?

I think that given we are going to have by far the largest wage bill in the league and TM has spent money on his choice of players and been allowed to keep Mulgrew, Bennett, Lenni etc (so far) he should get 10 games. At this point we should be established in the top 6 and playing well. Anything less and questions should be asked regardless of how much he is an improvement on Coyle.

30 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

Question before the season starts is 'how long are you giving Mowbray?' before he should be under pressure to be replaced?

I think that given we are going to have by far the largest wage bill in the league and TM has spent money on his choice of players and been allowed to keep Mulgrew, Bennett, Lenni etc (so far) he should get 10 games. At this point we should be established in the top 6 and playing well. Anything less and questions should be asked regardless of how much he is an improvement on Coyle.

why 10 games? look at last season table after 10 games and 3 out of the 6 teams didn't make the top 6 come end of the season.

Its very difficult to put a number to it. I don't believe there should really be a points target or minimum position after a number of games and anything below that is sacking time.

There can be no arguing that so far Mowbray has enjoyed substantial backing and has had free reign this summer on recruitment and has been able to keep all his players so far. With that in mind promotion has to be expected.

As I said a while back we haven't got the luxury of time on our side. We aren't in a sustainable position and the only remedy is promotion and quickly. Missing out could be very damaging to this club. Other than possibly Wigan I don't think there is another club that has the same resources, quality, wages and pedigree that this club has.

Of course it would be helpful to have a 'football brain' at the club with the remit to keep an eye on progress and act if promotion begins to disappear into the distance. We haven't got that so we can be rest assured that even if we're well off the promotion chase there will be little/no action as there is nobody with decision making ability that can make decisions about football matters.

Think 10 games is fair enough given the backing he has had and as others have said the need to get back into the championship asap. 

Of course Venkys could still pull the rug from out under him. A couple of last minute sales, with potentially TM not knowing much about them, and I'd be happy to give him a little longer to adjust to the loony tunes latest gambit. 

I wish people would stop harking on about this Kendall season as if it's a model to follow. I'd like to see other examples of where a team has won 1 out of the first 11 games and gone on to achieve promotion. I can almost guarantee it isn't anything over 5%, if that.

Yes, Kendall must have performed a miracle. Yes, in todays football world he probably would be sacked. Yes it must have been a fantastic season to witness.

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your point of view, football has changed. A job is measured very much on the present moment and not on any potential future or previous accolades. If TM has results like that in the opening 11 games I will want to see a replacement brought in before it is too late. We cannot, and should not, be prepared to accept them results as 'ok' simply because, back in 1979, Howard Kendall performed a minor-miracle. It's such a strawman argument.

• Backroom

I wouldn't put an arbitrary number to it; partly because I think we are due a baptism of fire and we may take a little while to really find our feet.

I think the squad is lacking up top but If we adress that it will be more balanced than last year but may take time to gel.

37 minutes ago, Tom said:

I wouldn't put an arbitrary number to it; partly because I think we are due a baptism of fire and we may take a little while to really find our feet.

I think the squad is lacking up top but If we adress that it will be more balanced than last year but may take time to gel.

Nobody with any sense would put an arbitrary number on it.  We went down that road with Berg and Appleton and it got us nowhere.  Every manager needs time to get the right players and then get them to perform as a unit.

Just now, meadows said:

What if the next bloke comes in and goes badly for ten games? 

Seems that football now has a limited span of ten games and you are out.  Furphy, Lee, Kendall and dear old Bob, in his second season, should have been out on there ear listening to some on here.  Six consecutive defeats for Kenny in 91-92 would have led to cries for the sack according to the logic now being adopted.

54 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

#KendallOut 

IMG_1858.PNG

IMG_1859.PNG

It was one of our few lower league years, but one I enjoyed immensely. I don't remember losing to Barnsley twice on the same day though. :) 

I think we played the first round of the league cup before the season started and if I recall correctly, we played Bury over two legs. I had a very rare foray into the Nuttall Street as, I was a Riversider back then. I recall Kendall scoring a screamer from about 40 yards, in what was possibly his first competitive game in a Rovers shirt.

14 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Nobody with any sense would put an arbitrary number on it.  We went down that road with Berg and Appleton and it got us nowhere.  Every manager needs time to get the right players and then get them to perform as a unit.

Seems that football now has a limited span of ten games and you are out.  Furphy, Lee, Kendall and dear old Bob, in his second season, should have been out on there ear listening to some on here.  Six consecutive defeats for Kenny in 91-92 would have led to cries for the sack according to the logic now being adopted.

How many players did Howard bring in ? I, bet it was no where near as many as Tony Mowbray has.

Just now, JAL said:

How many players did Howard bring in ? I, bet it was no where near as many as Tony Mowbray has.

Bloody hell John do some research and answer your own question. Then you can put a justifiable argument forward.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

why 10 games? look at last season table after 10 games and 3 out of the 6 teams didn't make the top 6 come end of the season.

I agree its daft really setting any sort of targets because people peak & trough at different times, you can put a run together then put another run together in the opposite direction. If you set targets & say for example theres a failure to hit that target what if there isn't a suitable replacement when that happens. What do you do then? Should be over the course of the season with the overriding aim as promotion. Takes short term pressure off allows time to tinker.

1 hour ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Regarding our so called owners.Less than 48 hrs before our opening fixture and total silence from them.No statement of Intent,no positive comments on backing a promotion push....they really do promote the impression of a detached,uninterested owner.

For once i'd prefer them to keep schtum they've got nothing to say I want to hear except goodbye !

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

You wouldn't set a target of games on which to review performance? This is precisely why we don't take you seriously.

No I wouldnt. Unless we are bottom half 

Just let him get on with managing the club and leading us to promotion. 

22 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

No I wouldnt. Unless we are bottom half 

Just let him get on with managing the club and leading us to promotion. 

I don't think anyone is suggesting otherwise.

Automatic promotion should be the aim given the riches available to Mowbray (compared to the rest of the league). 

Hopefully we'll do it, but the point is that we can't go on accepting underachievement at the club. E.g. When top 10 was seen as an achievement by Bowyer when he had one of the highest budgets in the league.

Archived