BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2017/august/well-take-it-on-the-chin/

"You have to understand what it takes to win games and if this division is about winning second balls, dealing with long balls, dealing with crosses into your box, then we have to adapt to that, do that and then try and impose our football on them"

Mowbray keeps talking about this superior brand of football we are going to 'impose' on the opposition. Has anyone witnessed it under Mowbray's management?

It's almost Coyle-esq

59 minutes ago, MGPensioner said:

Wasn't Kean talking the same compared to Sam's effective style. Playing attractive football. Winning is more important.

Yeah TM is creating a trap for himself here, so many sound bites if you didn't like the bloke you'd want him to shut up.

apparently he plays fluid attacking football however this may sound no contraversial but forward players looked far better and produced more under Owen coyle. 

25 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Forward players looked far better and produced more under Owen coyle. 

I completely disagree, to the point where I'm fully convinced you'll say anything to try and justify your own opinion!

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

"You have to understand what it takes to win games and if this division is about winning second balls, dealing with long balls, dealing with crosses into your box, then we have to adapt to that, do that and then try and impose our football on them"

Mowbray keeps talking about this superior brand of football we are going to 'impose' on the opposition. Has anyone witnessed it under Mowbray's management?

It's almost Coyle-esq

Plenty of times last season we looked a cut above the opposition under Tony. I know we lost but maybe a bit early to be forgetting just how bad Owen Coyle was, and I'd need a lobotomy to forget that this Scottish short wearing joker is one of the key components of our "league one rationale"

1 minute ago, Biz said:

Plenty of times last season we looked a cut above the opposition under Tony. I know we lost but maybe a bit early to be forgetting just how bad Owen Coyle was, and I'd need a lobotomy to forget that this Scottish short wearing joker is one of the key components of our "league one rationale"

I'm not sure we ever looked a cut above anything last season. Which games were you thinking of?

I'll never forget how bad Coyle was and I had three lobotomies when he was here just so I could forget.

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

I'm not sure we ever looked a cut above anything last season. Which games were you thinking of?

I'll never forget how bad Coyle was and I had three lobotomies when he was here just so I could forget.

Brentford, villa? 

We played Preston off the park for 75 minutes also, amongst a few other teams we should've finished off and ultimately paid the price for not beating.

Coyle was a joke. The only manager who set up the team worse, made more suspect signings and talked more crap was Steve Kean. 

19 minutes ago, Biz said:

Brentford, villa? 

We played Preston off the park for 75 minutes also, amongst a few other teams we should've finished off and ultimately paid the price for not beating.

Coyle was a joke. The only manager who set up the team worse, made more suspect signings and talked more crap was Steve Kean. 

Not plenty then, just the odd occasion;)

I thought what Mowbray did well last season was find a way to get results where Coyle wouldn't have. We hardly played free-flowing football, the type he imagines we'll be playing this season, and the type the players who have come in to the club this season have obviously been told we'd be playing if their comments are anything to go by.

I'm filing ToMo under 'fantasist' until the team plays how he imagines it to play in his head:)

20 minutes ago, Biz said:

Brentford, villa? 

And what about the intervening matches against Barnsley, Bristol City, Reading and Wolves when the performances were by universal consent, disinterested, turgid and shapeless (rather like yesterday at Southend)? Mowbray puts too much on passing technique and ignores the need for players with real pace and movement on and off the ball. Unfortunately the winning end to last season against opposition that was disinteretsed and had nothing to play for has persuaded  those fans with rose-tinted specs that TM is the next Guardiola. 

1 minute ago, alcd said:

And what about the intervening matches against Barnsley, Bristol City, Reading and Wolves when the performances were by universal consent, disinterested, turgid and shapeless (rather like yesterday at Southend)? Mowbray puts too much on passing technique and ignores the need for players with real pace and movement on and off the ball. Unfortunately the winning end to last season against opposition that was disinteretsed and had nothing to play for has persuaded  those fans with rose-tinted specs that TM is the next Guardiola. 

I'm afraid that you might be missing the point when you completely ignored the paragraph about Coyle!

As for the Tony bashing, I don't think Guardiola himself could've turned the trajectory around last season, and I don't think 1 game this season is enough to simply write him and "his" team off. 

• Moderation Lead

I'll be honest, I'm pretty much where Blueboy is above (well, certainly re those sentiments in any case). I honestly think that so many people are so desperate to cling to any sort of hope because we've had seven years of misery, that their expectations are unrealistic a lot of the time. Venky's are still here, sadly....I get it, I do, I want the pride in the club to come back, I went the owners to foxtrot oscar, I don't want to feel miserable about everything Rovers, but as long as they're here, there's still that black cloud over the club as far as I'm concerned.

1 minute ago, Biz said:

I don't think Guardiola himself could've turned the trajectory around last season, and I don't think 1 game this season is enough to simply write him and "his" team off. 

Lol.... Guardiola would of known we needed goals he wouldn't have settled for a point at Wolves or a one nil win over villa he'd of gone all guns blazing attacking .. Remember we went down by two goals.. 

Dress it up how you want but  last season TM left Coventry bottom of the league without a win.. Took over us bottom three with nearly five months of the season left  we went down.. Now his managerial skills there have to come into question 

1 minute ago, K-Hod said:

I'll be honest, I'm pretty much where Blueboy is above (well, certainly re those sentiments in any case). I honestly think that so many people are so desperate to cling to any sort of hope because we've had seven years of misery, that their expectations are unrealistic a lot of the time. Venky's are still here, sadly....I get it, I do, I want the pride in the club to come back, I went the owners to foxtrot oscar, I don't want to feel miserable about everything Rovers, but as long as they're here, there's still that black cloud over the club as far as I'm concerned.

I've spent the summer in a happy football-free reverie where the only interest has been how good our new signings look on youtube. I've enjoyed it. Yesterday I got a back-hander round the chops off our old friend 'reality'. It got me thinking that is a man who was last seen propping up this division with Coventry, and who appears to be some kind of deluded football purist who thinks he's playing in the Champions League, really the man to galvanise a team to fight it's way back out of League 1?

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

I've spent the summer in a happy football-free reverie where the only interest has been how good our new signings look on youtube. I've enjoyed it. Yesterday I got a back-hander round the chops off our old friend 'reality'. It got me thinking that is a man who was last seen propping up this division with Coventry, and who appears to be some kind of deluded football purist who thinks he's playing in the Champions League, really the man to galvanise a team to fight it's way back out of League 1?

I would have preferred a manager who has some sort of track record of success at this level to be honest. I think most people on the board will know who I had in mind. That ship has sailed and we are were we are.

The first requirement for any successful team is to be really hard to score against. We are nowhere near that at the moment. The main reason for this is we aren't prepared to work hard enough, mark tight enough or run far enough. 

In theory this failing should relatively easy to correct but the players have to buy into it, they show no signs of this at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I would have preferred a manager who has some sort of track record of success at this level to be honest. I think most people on the board will know who I had in mind. That ship has sailed and we are were we are.

I know who you mean but he reminds me a bit of John Coleman, suited to a particular team without the weight of expectation. Regular Top ten finishes in this league but has he ever made the play-offs? Bolton had the right idea when they went for Parkinson.

10 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The first requirement for any successful team is to be really hard to score against. We are nowhere near that at the moment. The main reason for this is we aren't prepared to work hard enough, mark tight enough or run far enough. 

Totally agree. Until this happens we won't achieve anything. The best teams are the hardest working teams, generally.

• Backroom

I'm not used to seeing blueboy throwing down so much doom. Welcome to the dark side.

In fairness to Mowbray, he wasn't at fault for relegation last season and had us on a trajectory where with a few more games we would have probably been safe. Coyle was the reason we got relegated (well, Venky's were the actual reason for hiring him, but ultimately all roads lead to those idiots, so...).

Pre-season Mowbray has been backed with signings and had plenty to say. Time for him to start delivering. It wasn't losing yesterday that was the problem, it was the manner of the defeat. Same old @#/?. How often do we come back into games after conceding first? It seems like even if we get a goal back we never go on to win. We haven't had the right attitude for years and yesterday's performance suggested little has changed. Had it not been for a fantastic Mulgrew free kick we would have lost 2-0 and never looked like scoring. That is unacceptable. Mowbray needs to stop talking and start letting our work on the pitch do the talking. All yesterday's match told us was that our team is woefully unprepared, unmotivated and unsure. 1500+ fans wasted their money going to watch that nonsense, and it isn't on.

40 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

In theory this failing should relatively easy to correct but the players have to buy into it, they show no signs of this at the moment.

Either that type of appointment, or a young, hungry, up & coming type to reinvigorate the club.

13 minutes ago, DE. said:

I'm not used to seeing blueboy throwing down so much doom. Welcome to the dark side.

I  threw so much doom down during the Lambert reign I got banned:rolleyes:

A win against Cov and Donny and my ToMo poster is going back up.  Football is a fickle mistress.:rover:

33 minutes ago, MGPensioner said:

100% agreed

He takes 5 months share of the responsibility as he made only a marginal improvement.

Together with the other messiah, Paul Senior.

1 hour ago, Athlete said:

Lol.... Guardiola would of known we needed goals he wouldn't have settled for a point at Wolves or a one nil win over villa he'd of gone all guns blazing attacking .. Remember we went down by two goals.. 

Dress it up how you want but  last season TM left Coventry bottom of the league without a win.. Took over us bottom three with nearly five months of the season left  we went down.. Now his managerial skills there have to come into question 

He arrived on the 22nd Feb. Season finished 7th May.

Where are you two getting 5 months from ??

3 minutes ago, Hasta said:

He arrived on the 22nd Feb. Season finished 7th May.

Where are you two getting 5 months from ??

Meant 4 months.. It was enough time 

As the old saying goes your only as good as your last job and we all know how that ended up 

35 minutes ago, Athlete said:

Meant 4 months.. It was enough time 

As the old saying goes your only as good as your last job and we all know how that ended up 

Lol.

It's 2 and a half months FFS.

7 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

It's almost Coyle-esq

IMG_0417.JPG

Archived