BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

Well yes, but the longer the sample the more credence, no?

We'll never know, but I think we were extremely unlucky (by we I mean us the fans and Mogga, the owners deserved it) in how many of our rivals picked up form, or perhaps a sign on just how level a playing field the Championship is?

But on the Kean issue (if we must), we got a load of grief from other fans at the time 'but he had you top of the league', ignoring the fact the club was completely toxic and 10,000 fans down - plus he wasn't sacked, but resigned which sums up the whole debacle.

What's the line, 'lies, lies...'

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd still love an accurate clear account of how Kean's resignation came about and why it happened when it did and how it did.

After so much water under the bridge, grief, abuse, failings for him to walk when he did the night before a game still sticks out as odd.

Was it all because Shebby was making his life a misery and he finally snapped, or was there more to it?

Just now, JHRover said:

I'd still love an accurate clear account of how Kean's resignation came about and why it happened when it did and how it did.

After so much water under the bridge, grief, abuse, failings for him to walk when he did the night before a game still sticks out as odd.

Was it all because Shebby was making his life a misery and he finally snapped, or was there more to it?

Not sure, I heard Kean got @#/? up like many a time at Ewood on his own, after shebby piled on the pressure he wrote an ultimatum by email to Desai drunk basically stating shebby was to go or he will prior to the charlton game.

With India 5.5 hrs ahead Mrs Desai saw his email and Kean was down the road.

• 3 weeks later...

Was it common knowledge among fans that Mowbray had a break clause in his contract at the end of last season? 

He travelled to India to meet with owners Venky’s in the wake of dropping in to League One having had a break clause in his previous deal at the end of last season.

Positive talks with the owners persuaded Mowbray to continue as head coach, and he signed a fresh two year deal last month.

Same as Lambert had I would imagine. 

On 2017-6-13 at 13:43, Dunnfc said:

Not sure, I heard Kean got @#/? up like many a time at Ewood on his own, after shebby piled on the pressure he wrote an ultimatum by email to Desai drunk basically stating shebby was to go or he will prior to the charlton game.

With India 5.5 hrs ahead Mrs Desai saw his email and Kean was down the road.

Surely not?!

Nothing would surprise you at this dog and pony show, Glen Mullan probably told Shebby how to push Kean's buttons.

3 minutes ago, Batman. said:

Surely not?!

Nothing would surprise you at this dog and pony show, Glen Mullan probably told Shebby how to push Kean's buttons.

Those accustomed to pulling the strokes in their own backyard got conned by a Scottish bullfrog and an eel straight out of the sludge at the bottom of the river Thames. No wonder they hid away in embarrassment.

• Backroom
1 minute ago, davulsukur said:

How is that different from resigning then?

I'd be interested to know, too. Lambert had the same thing in his contract - it must guarantee something, or you would just resign. 

19 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

How is that different from resigning then?

Can you just break from a contract without consequences? I would have thought a resigned manager would owe something to the club, otherwise there would be no point in one club paying compensation to another club for a manager if they could just resign from their current club.

Iain Dowie once resigned from Crystal Palace citing family reasons and wanting to be closer to home in the NW. A couple of weeks later he was unveiled as the new Charlton manager and Simon Jordan took him to court.

I would suspect one advantage to a manager of having a break clause is it leaves him free to go anywhere he wants straight away, whereas if its a resignation it could be seen as a scheme to get him out ahead of a move to another club without the need for compensation.

Footballers usually have an obscene 'notice' period in their contracts to stop them just 'resigning' then moving to another club. I assume its the same with Managers. 

e.g. if Mowbray didn't have the break close and wanted to resign from his position he would have to wait x amount of months until he could take over another club.

2 minutes ago, J*B said:

Footballers usually have an obscene 'notice' period in their contracts to stop them just 'resigning' then moving to another club. I assume its the same with Managers. 

e.g. if Mowbray didn't have the break close and wanted to resign from his position he would have to wait x amount of months until he could take over another club.

Football rules never seem to apply to the real world but that all makes sense.

Cheers.

On 7/5/2017 at 13:31, RV Blue said:

Can you just break from a contract without consequences? I would have thought a resigned manager would owe something to the club, otherwise there would be no point in one club paying compensation to another club for a manager if they could just resign from their current club.

Obviously we won't know the specifics of the contract but the break clause would mean subject to whatever t&c's agreed either you could walk away.  

You can't just break a contract, just like a manager can't just be sacked without a payoff.  Any manager who resigns won't be able to work for another club during the term of that contract without either agreeing compensation, or another club paying it.

Archived