BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] London fire and reporting/coverage

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Daily Mail posted an article with a photo seemingly attempting to 'name and shame' the bloke whose fridge exploded.

Gutter press scumbag halfwits! THE MAN HAS JUST LOST HIS @#/? HOUSE!!! He's likely wracked with guilt and the last thing to help is to Stoke up an angry mob on a man who's done nothing wrong.

Just now, Mike E said:

Daily Mail posted an article with a photo seemingly attempting to 'name and shame' the bloke whose fridge exploded.

Gutter press scumbag halfwits! THE MAN HAS JUST LOST HIS @#/? HOUSE!!! He's likely wracked with guilt and the last thing to help is to Stoke up an angry mob on a man who's done nothing wrong.

Wasn't an immigrant, was he? 

Just now, Mike E said:

That's a normal Daily Mail tactic - scapegoating. Never mind those responsible for making and selling shoddy products like those  tumble driers etc that keep catching fire.

I'd say we've a fifty-fifty chance of getting to the truth about this tragedy going off previous events were members of the public lost their lives in large numbers. Usually it takes that long for the report to come out that every bodies forgotten about it.

Regarding  the retro fitting of sprinklers systems - I've done a bit of " pipe strangling " in my time and to re-fit all the tower blocks in the country will be an absolutely monumental undertaking. If they started tomorrow I'd be surprised if the job was finished in 5 to 10 years. Have we got the people to do it anymore ? Especially when we fire off all the European builders and plumbers after  Brexit .

Corbyn and Khan were the only polticians meeting residents today. May wouldn't have dared.

Surprise, surprise, one Tory minister fought against sprinklers 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/grenfell-tower-fire-safety-rules-sprinklers-brandon-lewis-warn-house-building-social-housing-tory-a7790921.html

.... while another, Gavin Barwell. recently promoted by May, sat on a report warning about fire risks

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/theresa-mays-chief-staff-sat-10620357

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Corbyn and Khan were the only polticians meeting residents today. May wouldn't have dared.

Surprise, surprise, one Tory minister fought against sprinklers 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/grenfell-tower-fire-safety-rules-sprinklers-brandon-lewis-warn-house-building-social-housing-tory-a7790921.html

.... while another, Gavin Barwell. recently promoted by May, sat on a report warning about fire risks

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/theresa-mays-chief-staff-sat-10620357

Maggie would have been there no problem. I used to carry the card that " Private Eye " printed . It said  " In the event of me suffering a serious accident I did NOT want Mrs Thatcher to visit me in hospital.

I don't think she hates the public but she's so wooden and unnatural and unintelligent and unable to talk to people without coming out with slogans, soundbites or platitudes her advisers keep her out of harm's way - which cost her alot of votes in the election. 

40 minutes ago, Mike E said:

It's really horrifying, also read somewhere that two sun journos pretended to be family to get into the hospital. You never know what is true, so pinch of salt but I nearly spat tea when I saw that Daily Mail article.

Journalists? No, grief merchants.

8 hours ago, Biz said:

It's really horrifying, also read somewhere that two sun journos pretended to be family to get into the hospital. You never know what is true, so pinch of salt but I nearly spat tea when I saw that Daily Mail article.

Journalists? No, grief merchants.

Jim, is this "going too far?"

I would describe it more along my original lines..

Just now, Batman. said:

Jim, is this "going to far?"

I would describe it more along my original lines..

He's welcome to his own opinion on it. Sub human scum is probably desensitised for me because when I see it, I instantly think partridge.

There are good journalists, politicians, councillors etc but it does no harm to point out when they are disgusting, and the Sun deserves every single piece of it.

I personally couldn't work for such a soulless joke of an organisation, and I'd criticise plenty for doing so, but people have to feed their kids. 

In reality - it's regulation we should seek, and the lack of it we should criticise. 

1 hour ago, Baz said:

Shocking that May went to the site, but didn't speak to the people affected. She really has a hatred for the general public doesn't she.

Yes she does. 

Has anyone else been struck by what appears to be a complete lack of help offered to those now homeless?

It appears everything is simply being left to the local community. 

15 minutes ago, Paul said:

Has anyone else been struck by what appears to be a complete lack of help offered to those now homeless?

It appears everything is simply being left to the local community. 

Agreed.

Corbyn has asked for assurances that the homes once redeveloped will go back to those affected. I wonder what the government will say about that.

26 minutes ago, Paul said:

Yes she does. 

Wow. The Tory on Question Time just said May didn't speak to residents due to 'security concerns'. 

Imagine how that will go down with those who have just lost all their worldly possessions  (at best).

9 hours ago, Biz said:

He's welcome to his own opinion on it. Sub human scum is probably desensitised for me because when I see it, I instantly think partridge.

There are good journalists, politicians, councillors etc but it does no harm to point out when they are disgusting, and the Sun deserves every single piece of it.

I personally couldn't work for such a soulless joke of an organisation, and I'd criticise plenty for doing so, but people have to feed their kids. 

In reality - it's regulation we should seek, and the lack of it we should criticise. 

A few people around here would do well to read everything I post in the voice of Partridge.

• Moderation Lead

One of the firemen was asked on Twitter by a journo for The Sun if they could use a photo of his. He told them where to go.

Twice a hero!

7 hours ago, Baz said:

Wow. The Tory on Question Time just said May didn't speak to residents due to 'security concerns'. 

Imagine how that will go down with those who have just lost all their worldly possessions  (at best).

What about the " security concerns " of the poor sods who were burnt to death in the Tower block ? 

The dogs in the street know why she didn't meet the residents. It would have been messy for her.

Sadiq Khan looked out of his depth yesterday but at least he turned up to face the music.

Scotland Yard have opened a criminal investigation into the tragedy.

Mainline media is stating and quoting officials that the fatality rate will be high, with whole familys missing.

As 'official' fatality figures are released I take it as an actual count of discovery. Nobody is hiding anything.

The nature of the fire, the rapid spread, its time of occurence etc etc would all sadly indicate that the toll will be high.

It will be a hell of a job to go through the entire building and each flat, nook and cranny.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What about the " security concerns " of the poor sods who were burnt to death in the Tower block ? 

The dogs in the street know why she didn't meet the residents. It would have been messy for her.

Sadiq Khan looked out of his depth yesterday but at least he turned up to face the music.

Of course it would have been messy for May as it will be for any politician or local councillor regardless of party affiliation.

May failed by not talking directly to the local community.

TBH I am concerned only for the victims and survivors and not in short term political point scoring as evidenced on rhis thread.

The time for that will come.

• Moderation Lead

By and large, I think you're right, ARA. What I would say though, is that these families need some answers and much of the evidence in the media (so far) points to this having been an avoidable tragedy. (Whether or not that will ultimately be the case or not, time will tell).

There were 200 flats in the tower block, I believe? So assuming many didn't survive, even if 100 (total) did, that's 100 people, who've lost their homes, possessions and in some cases will have nowhere to go. I feel sick for every last one of them and can't even begin to imagine how they must be feeling at the moment.

Archived