BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] London fire and reporting/coverage

54 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Of course it would have been messy for May as it will be for any politician or local councillor regardless of party affiliation.

May failed by not talking directly to the local community.

TBH I am concerned only for the victims and survivors and not in short term political point scoring as evidenced on rhis thread.

The time for that will come.

It is a political issue, and it's absolutely right to point it out. . The victims and survivors have been affected by political decisions, some of which appear to be ideological. When dealing with people's lives and safety this is unforgivable.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gavin Barwell, the new Chief of Staff and ex-Housing minister has just ducked questions about why his old department has not published a fire safety report as promised last October as part of the enquiry into the Lakanal House fire in 2009.

These people need to be held accountable @AllRoverAsia , and held accountable now, before this disappears off the front pages and politicians of all hue can point to a public enquiry as a reason for not answering questions.

To be clear I agree with the sentiments of blueboy and KHod.

The more enquiries the better and am delighted that a criminal investigation is underway.

Let us see those in operation now and punish those held responsible of whatever political persuasion.

Short term speculations in rags like the Sun and Mirror to name but two I do not like.

Are victims not being assisted with accommodation and care? I am reading that they are.

She refuses to do TV debates, refuses to do open electioneering and now refuses to meet the families of a terrible disaster - and I thought Corbyn wasn't a leader. At least he's human.

seriously, she's doing so much harm to the Tories.

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Of course it would have been messy for May as it will be for any politician or local councillor regardless of party affiliation.

May failed by not talking directly to the local community.

TBH I am concerned only for the victims and survivors and not in short term political point scoring as evidenced on rhis thread.

The time for that will come.

Tell that to the survivors and relatives of the dead and missing. For them that time is now.

Jake Ecclestone the former NUJ President has a letter in today's paper regarding the fall in journalistic standards as a result of anti- Trade Union legislation in the 1980's and 90's. Just a sentence or two -

" Media companies were encouraged to de recognise the National Union of Journalists ( and other unions ) , to scrap collective bargaining , to withdraw from agreements on training and - crucially - to kill the long standing convention that prohibited non journalists from being given jobs on national newspapers- people like George Osborne for example.

The destruction of workers rights to organise industrially has also undermined the ability of journalists to hold on to ethical standards ".

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

In my experience - let's not have any short term political point scoring - is a euphemism for let's kick this into the long grass.

No. That was in reference to this MB and the rag top press.

I want as much enquiry as possible, open and quckly but not just press speculation and rumour.

Heads will be spiked...to use an earlier post.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Jake Ecclestone the former NUJ President has a letter in today's paper regarding the fall in journalistic standards as a result of anti- Trade Union legislation in the 1980's and 90's. Just a sentence or two -

" Media companies were encouraged to de recognise the National Union of Journalists ( and other unions ) , to scrap collective bargaining , to withdraw from agreements on training and - crucially - to kill the long standing convention that prohibited non journalists from being given jobs on national newspapers- people like George Osborne for example.

The destruction of workers rights to organise industrially has also undermined the ability of journalists to hold on to ethical standards ".

Tbf, I thought Osborne WAS a journalist? It was one of the main initial criticisms of his selection as Chancellor.

Osborne wanted to be a journalist after Oxford but was rejected by both the Times and Economist training schemes.  He joined the Peterborough column on the Daily Torygraph (no working your way up through local papers for members of the born-to-rule elite) before joing the Tory party research dept.

He volunteered himself for the Evening Standard editor's job (as you do when you're a member of the elite). 

The Queen has been visiting residents of the tower today. Now I realise these residents may be hand-picked and security will be tight but at least she's talking, unlike Queen Theresa. 

19 hours ago, Biz said:

It's really horrifying, also read somewhere that two sun journos pretended to be family to get into the hospital. You never know what is true, so pinch of salt but I nearly spat tea when I saw that Daily Mail article.

Journalists? No, grief merchants.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/16/sun-journalist-grenfell-tower-victim-hospital

so it is true. Time for that newspaper to go. Absolutely disgusting.

12 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

The Sun denies it - read its statement at the end of the article. You have to remember the Guardian and Sun are sworn enemies. 

Hardly going to admit it are they?

There is a protest outside the Kensington offices at 6. I hope that it remains calm. I understand why these people are angry but riots, fights and unrest isn't the answer.

The police need to play it right, if they come out  in riot gear, in big numbers... they'll make it worse.

Just now, Biz said:

Hardly going to admit it are they?

Papers are wary of stepping over the line after the hacking scandals and the Leveson inquiry. Some journalists went to jail. I'd be surprised if this story were true. 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Papers are wary of stepping over the line after the hacking scandals and the Leveson inquiry. Some journalists went to jail. I'd be surprised if this story were true. 

Nothing suprises me anymore from a few of these "journalists". The election was the perfect example, some of the absolute lies...! It can't be allowed to go on.

Just now, Biz said:

Nothing suprises me anymore from a few of these "journalists". The election was the perfect example, some of the absolute lies...! It can't be allowed to go on.

There's a difference between "fake news" (an international problem) and political bias during elections and the alleged behaviour of reporters on a major news story. 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

There's a difference between "fake news" (an international problem) and political bias during elections and the alleged behaviour of reporters on a major news story. 

There is, but ethically they are both lacking. Arguably, in the long term - political bias is worse in some ways, but the heinous act of utilising this sort of misery to sell papers, achieve clicks and hit advertising revenue targets makes me sick.

So the Sun element is "alleged".. what about the broadcasters and agencies showing people in the higher levels whilst the building still burnt? Or the publicising of a gentleman who's flat was "allegedly" the starting point- when he's just lost his house and must be in shock?

Its seriously wrong. I agree with you that we have some bloody good journalists, some downright hardworking and genuine public servants, MPs, councillors etc. That doesn't mean I cannot criticise the system. 

Regulations are often baulked at in all walks of business, but the press in this country should adhere to a basic level of ethical publishing. 

Just now, Biz said:

Regulations are often baulked at in all walks of business, but the press in this country should adhere to a basic level of ethical publishing. 

Agreed, but look at Tyrone's message earlier today

Beyond horrific. Can't even bring myself to think of the horrors those poor people endured.

In the shock of the aftermath of something like this, it is easy to think the world or the country won't be the same afterwards. In this case, I think this will prove to be one of those rare tragedies which does provoke a fundamental shift in everyone's outlooks and move the pendulum of politics.

Archived