BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Checkatrade Trophy

6 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15573935._There_isn_t_a_lot_to_be_positive_about____Tony_Mowbray_left_unimpressed_by_Rovers__performance_in_Checkatrade_Trophy_defeat_to_Bury/?ref=mac

“But there isn't a lot to be positive about. I take some responsibility for that, throwing together a team without doing any work on it"

Tactically astute.

That is a a mad comment. 

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

That is a a mad comment. 

If I employed someone who failed at a task and then boldly stated they had not bothered to do any work on it they would be sacked on the spot.

He mouths off without engaging brain.

Very worrying attitude and totally uninspiring.

6 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15573935._There_isn_t_a_lot_to_be_positive_about____Tony_Mowbray_left_unimpressed_by_Rovers__performance_in_Checkatrade_Trophy_defeat_to_Bury/?ref=mac

“But there isn't a lot to be positive about. I take some responsibility for that, throwing together a team without doing any work on it"

Tactically astute.

Like I said, he's thick. Imagine thinking it is appropriate to say something like that post match.

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

I’m not sure why it should have been the case given it’s one seat per person but it was a really uncomfortable experience last night. Really crammed and with absolutely no buzz about the place.

Those seats are really difficult for someone like myself with long legs. Usually people can spread out a bit and then I can sit sideways on but last night no chance.

Fortunately it wasn't raining!

They'd have been better giving home fans the whole lower tier of the JW and put the Bury supporters in the Darwen End.

8 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Like I said, he's thick. Imagine thinking it is appropriate to say something like that post match.

Isn't this the same competition that we lambasted as pointless, laughed at its rules and remarked that it would be better for our u23s to be solely involved in?

All yesterday told us; a few of our senior squad shouldn't be anywhere near the first 11. Tony can be rightly criticised for being "too honest" at times, but I'd wager you fall much closer to the "thick" category.

18 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

If I employed someone who failed at a task and then boldly stated they had not bothered to do any work on it they would be sacked on the spot.

I think Mowbray is trying his best to make a mockery of the competition without actually going as far as to just play the reserves, which would really save him and his 'star' players a lot of trouble and embarrassment, but would put us at risk of a fine which the bean counters won't permit.

His comments on the competition include the usual 'in it to win it' stuff but read between the lines and it really is quite clear that he's not bothered in the slightest about it. Then there's his team selections, and almost hybrid experiment between the U23s and 1st team, and his admission that he did no preparation work with the team beforehand. His behaviour in the dugout really gave the impression of a manager treating this as pre-season friendly. I don't think a Rovers member of staff entered the technical area until about 60 minutes in last night when Venus and Lowe suddenly stood up and started barking instructions as though someone had suddenly reminded them there was a competitive game going on and that things needed sorting out. Then finally with about 10-15 minutes remaining Mowbray appeared on the touchline for the first team, complete with a few 'head in hands' moments which really don't inspire. It was almost as though he'd been held up in traffic and only arrived at the stadium after 75 minutes.

Shame because I'd like us to go for it this year, try and get to Wembley etc. in what I hope will be our only appearance as a 'first team' in this competition in a long time.

Just now, Biz said:

Isn't this the same competition that we lambasted as pointless, laughed at its rules and remarked that it would be better for our u23s to be solely involved in?

As fans, we can slag what we want, pick whatever team we want, like certain players and not others etc. It makes no difference, as you have pointed out in the past. Mowbray, on the other hand, is paid to prepare the team for match days. that's an essential part of his job.  I'm surprised you think there is any equivalence.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

As fans, we can slag what we want, pick whatever team we want, like certain players and not others etc. It makes no difference, as you have pointed out in the past. Mowbray, on the other hand, is paid to prepare the team for match days. that's an essential part of his job.  I'm surprised you think there is any equivalence.

I didn't say that, I made the point that this was a lose/lose scenario - that many of us discussed when the groups came out.

I'd be frothing at the mouth if I read these comments for a league game, but they tally up with my sentiments on the competition so why the fuss? I'd be more frustrated if we'd played a full strength team tbh, that would've been a completely unnecessary risk. 

Just now, Biz said:

I didn't say that, I made the point that this was a lose/lose scenario - that many of us discussed when the groups came out.

I'd be frothing at the mouth if I read these comments for a league game, but they tally up with my sentiments on the competition so why the fuss? I'd be more frustrated if we'd played a full strength team tbh, that would've been a completely unnecessary risk. 

Why the fuss? Because people paid to watch a match that the manager had so little interest in he didn't bother preparing the team in a professional manner. To add insult to injury he was stupid enough to admit it.

24 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

He makes it sound as though some of the experienced players were playing their first games. Forget any fancy game plans or tactics, these players didn't even do the basics and some just didn't look like they wanted to be there. Sometimes Mowbray insults our intelligence with his comments.

The only positive from last night is that it confirmed to many of us that the squad isn't nearly good enough and to some players the club is still a holiday camp.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Why the fuss? Because people paid to watch a match that the manager had so little interest in he didn't bother preparing the team in a professional manner.

I would suggest that many would've known that the case, and I certainly did - hence zero interest in the fixture. 

The players should've been enough to compete  without additional shape training, whilst I agreed that this is another "too honest" moment, at some point are these players going to take some actual responsibility? Lest we forget, Danny Graham is probably the highest paid player in the division.

Just now, Biz said:

I would suggest that many would've known that the case, and I certainly did - hence zero interest in the fixture. 

The players should've been enough to compete  without additional shape training, whilst I agreed that this is another "too honest" moment, at some point are these players going to take some actual responsibility? Lest we forget, Danny Graham is probably the highest paid player in the division.

It is up to Mowbray to hold players accountable at the end of the day. Would a spell with the under 23s do Graham any harm? Gladwin? It is not good for the good players in the under 23s to be looking at those 2 lumps thinking "what do I need to do to get in here?". A lazzes faire attitude was what really p****d me off about Coyle. I don't think Mowbray is as bad, but I occasionaly see glimpses. Cook at Wigan fired Bogle and Byrne out because of their attitudes. Sometimes a manager needs to let players know that there are repercussions for slacking off. 

6 minutes ago, arbitro said:

He makes it sound as though some of the experienced players were playing their first games. Forget any fancy game plans or tactics, these players didn't even do the basics and some just didn't look like they wanted to be there. Sometimes Mowbray insults our intelligence with his comments.

The only positive from last night is that it confirmed to many of us that the squad isn't nearly good enough and to some players the club is still a holiday camp.

Being an honest bloke perhaps TM will reimburse Fans having admitted he did no work in advance of the game.

The issue is not what Competition it was but that Rovers were playing a competitive game at Ewood Park in Blue and White before fee paying Fans and he could not be arsed.

Graham to me looks like he has 'all season', in a mood because either A.) no move materialised for him in the summer, B.) he has had a relegation wage cut, or C.) Both.

Now just seems happy to collect his wage without even bothering - shameless attitude. I seriously would chuck him down with the kids.

I haven't lost any sleep about losing a game in the checkatrade trophy but then again I'm not employed and paid by the Club to manage the Club or play football.

I would expect any team put out by Blackburn Rovers to give of their all. I find Mowbray's comments and the fact he gave certain players the choice to play utterly bizarre. He is the manager and if he feels a certain line is best in all the circumstances that should be the end of it.

Secondly, whilst certain senior players appear to have performed unacceptably last night, who can blame them when the manager clearly wasnt taking the fixture seriously, and is going round publicly admitting he threw a team together without much thought.

You can't pick and choose when to perform. It's not always possible to turn form on and off like a tap. What if the players decide next that they can't really be bothered with the FA Cup? Or can't be bothered turning up if the opposition are  in the lower half of the table? TM wouldn't have a leg to stand on after his comments around this game.

24 minutes ago, Biz said:

All yesterday told us; a few of our senior squad shouldn't be anywhere near the first 11. Tony can be rightly criticised for being "too honest" at times, but I'd wager you fall much closer to the "thick" category.

23 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I think Mowbray is trying his best to make a mockery of the competition without actually going as far as to just play the reserves, which would really save him and his 'star' players a lot of trouble and embarrassment, but would put us at risk of a fine which the bean counters won't permit.

His comments on the competition include the usual 'in it to win it' stuff but read between the lines and it really is quite clear that he's not bothered in the slightest about it. Then there's his team selections, and almost hybrid experiment between the U23s and 1st team, and his admission that he did no preparation work with the team beforehand. His behaviour in the dugout really gave the impression of a manager treating this as pre-season friendly. I don't think a Rovers member of staff entered the technical area until about 60 minutes in last night when Venus and Lowe suddenly stood up and started barking instructions as though someone had suddenly reminded them there was a competitive game going on and that things needed sorting out. Then finally with about 10-15 minutes remaining Mowbray appeared on the touchline for the first team, complete with a few 'head in hands' moments which really don't inspire. It was almost as though he'd been held up in traffic and only arrived at the stadium after 75 minutes.

Shame because I'd like us to go for it this year, try and get to Wembley etc. in what I hope will be our only appearance as a 'first team' in this competition in a long time.

Was he at the game from the off?

Couldn't see dugout seats from JW Upper.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Being an honest bloke perhaps TM will reimburse Fans having admitted he did no work in advance of the game.

The issue is not what Competition it was but that Rovers were playing a competitive game at Ewood Park in Blue and White before fee paying Fans and he could not be arsed.

In an earlier interview he said he would respect experienced players who didn't want to play so from that I conclude that the ones in the team said they wanted to play. Then they turn in a performance that had CBA written all over it. The CBA element is what disturbs me.

Just now, Speedie's Gonna Get Ya said:

No sign of him in the dugout until about 70 minutes in. I suspect he was sat in the directors box and left Venus and Lowe to run the show as someone kept coming downstairs with messages.

29 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Sounds like they would be happy the sooner we are out of it tbh.

Just now, arbitro said:

In an earlier interview he said he would respect experienced players who didn't want to play so from that I conclude that the ones in the team said they wanted to play. Then they turn in a performance that had CBA written all over it. The CBA element is what disturbs me.

What this also shows, is that the rest of the first team obviously 'chose' not to play - which is also concerning. Its really the wrong way to go about it anyway, he should be picking the team, not letting them decide for themselves.

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I haven't lost any sleep about losing a game in the checkatrade trophy but then again I'm not employed and paid by the Club to manage the Club or play football.

I would expect any team put out by Blackburn Rovers to give of their all. I find Mowbray's comments and the fact he gave certain players the choice to play utterly bizarre. He is the manager and if he feels a certain line is best in all the circumstances that should be the end of it.

Secondly, whilst certain senior players appear to have performed unacceptably last night, who can blame them when the manager clearly wasnt taking the fixture seriously, and is going round publicly admitting he threw a team together without much thought.

You can't pick and choose when to perform. It's not always possible to turn form on and off like a tap. What if the players decide next that they can't really be bothered with the FA Cup? Or can't be bothered turning up if the opposition are  in the lower half of the table? TM wouldn't have a leg to stand on after his comments around this game.

Surely if the players were asked and opted to play they should have put a shift in irrespective of Mowbrays approach. That's a real cop out. This was a chance to improve their match fitness and put in a performance that give the manager food for thought. 

Just now, arbitro said:

Surely if the players were asked and opted to play they should have put a shift in irrespective of Mowbrays approach. That's a real cop out. This was a chance to improve their match fitness and put in a performance that give the manager food for thought. 

They should have and I'm not excusing them in the slightest. However if things didn't quite click in the first few minutes they'd be far more inclined to bust a gut to put it right if they thought the managet was taking the game deadly seriously. 

It's a bit like a professional golfer. Even if you're ten over par with two holes of your round to go, you should still give every shot maximum attention as something might suddenly click into place which will stand you in good stead for next week etc. That won't happen if you're not really trying.

19 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Maybe the under 23s are realizing that regardless of what they do, they won't get a look in. Nutall was on fire earlier in the season, but was not given a chance. All while the likes of Graham and Gladwin were lumbering around the field for the first team. 

Archived