BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Simon Grayson

12 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Mogga hinted he was looking at bringing some attacking quality to the club in January. We need them. We've got one quality creative player in  Dack. Fortunately this league is poor. The gulf between the quality of player in this league and in the championship is huge IMO.

Yep deff agree in the gulf, someone who struggles in the champ could still shine in this league and just having 2 or 3 in the starting line up with genuine pace or  at least take people on is a massive asset down here.

He clearly only has the bottle for one in the starting line up at a time although his options ae limited now. It's all about building and improving the squad though after more departures last summer so hopefully he'll prove true to his word and show a bit of ambition, if allowed.

A starting line up every home game containing Dack, Chapman & a.n. other bright spark in the second half of the season should get us on the front foot from the beginning of games.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder what the odds on one or two of the better performing 'assets' being stripped for cash, come the January Sales.... let alone Mogga thinking whistfully about bringing in some attacking quality. I wouldn't put it past these eejits to puncture any signs of a platform for success we may or may not have achieved by then. Fingers crossed, for another squeaky bum time!

Just now, tomphil said:

A starting line up every home game containing Dack, Chapman & a.n. other bright spark in the second half of the season should get us on the front foot from the beginning of games.

If he'd done that we wouldn't have failed to win half our home games. Mowbray has a lot to answer for in that respect. I don't see the reason for the fear either. I can't think of one player that has come to Ewood this season where I was concerned when they got the ball. (Apart from Ward:)) In the Championship the majority of teams have two or three that can hurt you.

To Mowbray's credit He has found a way of playing away from home and picking up points. I think we did pretty well under him last season too away from home all things considered. I'm hanging my hat on that if we  make the play-offs and we need a good result away in the first leg!

Someone asked if people would still want Magoo sacked if the club got promotion. For me absolutely if the club had decent new owners and I'm not even saying it would have to be billionaires just someone with a structured plan. I'm certain that even if the club got lucky through the playoffs it might just lead to another Championship relegation battle under Magoo. Certainly with Venkys still here and I'm not convinced with better owners he would lead the club to a second promotion. He's just got so much uncertainty about him and my feeling is that his tenure here won't end well whatever happens this season. Is a PL club really likely to come in for him? No and he's probably not about to retire so those are the only football related scenarios under which I can see him leaving.

Well we have a championship budget so we should by rights have a squad reflecting that but i'm not sure we do. To put teams to the sword at home you've got to give them two or three things to think about not just one so he needs to find a good lively winger from somewhere to compliment what we've got, can't see him adding another striker but if he gets in another defensive mid i'll implode !

11 hours ago, JHRover said:

Who employed Coyle?

Cos from where I'm sitting its the same man who employed Paul Senior, who employed Tony Mowbray and the same man who then fired Paul Senior and didn't replace him and who was presumably central to the decision to keep Mowbray, hand him a massive budget and a 2 year contract extension in the summer.

The same man who is now into his 3rd year at least of shadow directing this club during which time we have nearly been relegated, have been relegated and are now struggling to get into the top 6 of the 3rd division. Whilst going through 4 different managers and selling £30-40 million of players.

The same man who remains in place to this day. You blame him for relegation and you're probably right, yet he remains in place right now. Not exactly something to be happy about is it?

Doesnt Balaji make all key decisions not Pasha? 

Didnt Balaji meet Coyle and then appointed him? Coyle said he met Balaji when he was asked during an interview

Who suggest Coyle to Balaji? Was it Pasha? Was it Slivester? Was it an agent? We will never really know is the answer I guess. 

Struggling to get into top 6? Really? 

I was pleased when Mowbray was given a new contract as I felt he was the right manager to get us promote and rebuild the club. I am still happy with Mowbray right now. 

Well Balaji didn't pick Coyles name out of thin air that's for sure and anyone with an ounce of understanding of the club or fans would've advised him NOOO even before they looked at his managerial record.

Another stitch up job provided via the usual channels with the self interest of the providers first and foremost in mind. Something that bling seems all to happy to keep repeating and something that will hang around this clubs neck whilst they remain.

27 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Didnt Balaji meet Coyle and then appointed him? Coyle said he met Balaji when he was asked during an interview

Who suggest Coyle to Balaji? Was it Pasha? Was it Slivester? Was it an agent? We will never really know is the answer I guess. 

I was pleased when Mowbray was given a new contract as I felt he was the right manager to get us promote and rebuild the club. I am still happy with Mowbray right now. 

Coyle chose his words carefully.

I think he said he met an Indian gentleman..or something safely inexplicit. More likely to be Suhail.

Mind you, given his "never heard of SEM" comments, the Indian gentleman could have just as easily been Jerome Anderson...Dark forces indeed!

22 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I might be wrong but as far as I remember the highest league position we have occupied so far this season is 6th, and again I might be wrong but it feels like we have spent the majority of the season outside the top 6. So yes so far this season we have been struggling to get into the top 6. I'm aware we've had a game or two in hand for some time and we are currently 6th but that doesn't change the fact that 6th has been the glass ceiling so far.

Lots of questions about who is culpable for the series of calamitous managerial decisions over the last 2 years. The only thing worse than having to watch it unfold at a club we care dearly for is knowing that the culprit is not only hiding behind a veil of secrecy but continues to get very well paid for doing so. I can accept disastrous decisions if the one who makes them is sacked and removed from the club, yet the people are still skulking around in the background at Ewood. Keeping quiet and letting Mowbray do the talking but still running the show.

11 hours ago, had.e.nuff said:

But what about the 24 goal more than us they have conceded 

Just goes to show that the balance for success on the pitch isn't right at this moment in time can it improve though ? 

With David Lowe coaching I'm highly sceptical.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

You'd be happy with any keaner that this lot appoint.

We want our Rovers back !

11 hours ago, tomphil said:

Yep deff agree in the gulf, someone who struggles in the champ could still shine in this league and just having 2 or 3 in the starting line up with genuine pace or  at least take people on is a massive asset down here.

He clearly only has the bottle for one in the starting line up at a time although his options ae limited now. It's all about building and improving the squad though after more departures last summer so hopefully he'll prove true to his word and show a bit of ambition, if allowed.

Do you think he is ambitious and brave enough to play three from the start

11 hours ago, tomphil said:

We seemed to be relying on Chapman creating something when he came on but thankfully Dack seems to be hitting his stride now but once he starts getting the man marking treatment who'll be creating then ?

Mowbray talks about consistancy so surely now they should be finding this through high level of intensity and application that should see them overwhelm the opposition from a total team aspect.

It's a simple game were the best teams play on the front foot from the off and sustain it through ninety minutes. Chapman could be an ace in the pack there to pull out when needed. If Rovers exploit the full width of the pitch the gaps should be there at this level.

16 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Before we start thinking what happens if we dont go up, why not see how and where we are after 46 games. I think about next season in the summer and not now. What happens if we go up and get back in the championship will you still want Mowbray out???

I'm sorry, and I don't care if I get a warning for it or whatever, but that sentence there highlights why we shouldn't take you seriously at all. You don't know what you are saying, surely. You are either utterly obsessed with pursuing a contrary opinion, on the wind up or just plain blind to what is going on in the world of football.

"Before we start thinking....why not see how and where we AFTER 46 games". It's too late by then, chaddy. You can't just wait and see, you have to have planning in place. Ultimately if we aren't on course for promotion then (our season objectives) then there comes a point whereby the manager has to go and someone put in place in order to achieve them objectives.

You can't just think of next season next summer. It's ridiculous. No self-respecting football owner does that. Do you think Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool etc all just say "yeah don't worry about next year just yet, if we don't get European competitions we'll just figure out what to do in the summer"? Not at all. They forward plan, put together a clear objective and if they aren't meeting them checkpoints in the season they look to rectify it.

It is almost as stupid a suggestion to wait until after 46 games to consider the consequences of failing to achieve promotion than it is to consider if Pep was on the market (:lol:).

I am all for a debate on whether Mowbray deserves to go or stay. I'm firmly of the opinion he should go and was so after the Wigan game. If you put forward some sensible comments to as why he deserves to stay, as opposed to "season is long...46 games" then you can start be taken seriously.

Lastly, if Mowbray achieved promotion he wouldn't deserve to be sacked because he will have achieved his objectives. Struggling to maintain a 6th position, with the gap ever increasing between us and the teams above, isn't achieving any objectives. 

3 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

You can't just think of next season next summer. It's ridiculous. No self-respecting football owner does that. Do you think Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool etc all just say "yeah don't worry about next year just yet, if we don't get European competitions we'll just figure out what to do in the summer"? Not at all. They forward plan, put together a clear objective and if they aren't meeting them checkpoints in the season they look to rectify it.

Venkys do. And that's why we are where we are.

I get the impression they only even discuss the club at a meeting in late May/early June when they assess how much they've lost, decide how much they are prepared to spend and decide how they are going to fund it for the next 12 months.

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I'm sorry, and I don't care if I get a warning for it or whatever, but that sentence there highlights why we shouldn't take you seriously at all. You don't know what you are saying, surely. You are either utterly obsessed with pursuing a contrary opinion, on the wind up or just plain blind to what is going on in the world of football.

"Before we start thinking....why not see how and where we AFTER 46 games". It's too late by then, chaddy. You can't just wait and see, you have to have planning in place. Ultimately if we aren't on course for promotion then (our season objectives) then there comes a point whereby the manager has to go and someone put in place in order to achieve them objectives.

It is almost as stupid a suggestion to wait until after 46 games to consider the consequences of failing to achieve promotion than it is to consider if Pep was on the market (:lol:).

I am all for a debate on whether Mowbray deserves to go or stay. I'm firmly of the opinion he should go and was so after the Wigan game. If you put forward some sensible comments to as why he deserves to stay, as opposed to "season is long...46 games" then you can start be taken seriously.

Lastly, if Mowbray achieved promotion he wouldn't deserve to be sacked because he will have achieved his objectives. Struggling to maintain a 6th position, with the gap ever increasing between us and the teams above, isn't achieving any objectives. 

Yeah but future consequences have to be taken into account there as well. Said on the Grayson thread yesterday that any hypothetical new owner should replace him even if the club were promoted. Managers need to hide their weaknesses and Mowbray Magoo's are absolutely blatant. I don't think he has what it takes under a new owner to get another promotion (have enough doubts about him getting one) and under Venkys it would probably just result in being relegated back to L1 again

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

We don't know who makes the key decisions Chaddy. We simply do not know. And that is the problem.

At the next "An Evening with Tony Mowbray" or whatever they are called, asking who actually interviewed him would be a good question.

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Venkys do. And that's why we are where we are.

I get the impression they only even discuss the club at a meeting in late May/early June when they assess how much they've lost, decide how much they are prepared to spend and decide how they are going to fund it for the next 12 months.

This sort of thinking has seemingly trickled down to the supporters base. It's the very definition of 'dumbing down' that people allude to on here. It seems the done thing to not consider future repercussions but simply 'focus on the here and now' and 'support the team'.

I'm sick of this idea that because I am complaining about where we are, how we operate as a club and the quality, or lack thereof, that currently runs through top to bottom in this club that I am not a true supporter or that I don't 'get behind the lads'. I admit it is becoming increasingly harder for me to "get behind" players like Williams, Ward, Antonsson (despite his goals at the weekend, he's extremely limited), Graham etc etc. Last year I found it difficult to go every week and support the worst team I have ever witnessed in a Rovers shirt and despite all the reminding that "we've been worse" I can only judge from my lifetime.

Throwing that aside the idea that Mowbray should be given until the end of the season before evaluating his performance is nonsensical. Last year he failed to meet his objective of survival - yet you can forgive that given the position he took over in. This summer he, from my point of view, failed to bring in the required players in terms of quality and quantity. We are very short in several areas and are unable to implement a Plan B because of this, which is probably why we struggle to break down disciplined defences. Lastly his results haven't been up to scratch and it's not exactly like we have been unlucky, rather the other way. Several of the performances this year have been downright shocking and that has to be taken into account when evaluating him as a manager.

Simon Grayson is available. He won't be for long. If Tony Mowbray continues to set teams out in the way he has and results continue in the trend they have then any self-respecting board would be considering Grayson's CV and at least look at that option. We certainly shouldn't wait until the end of the year and be forced to play another year in this godforsaken league. We'll definitely lose our better players then.

4 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I'm not Rovers owner tho am I?

I am very happy to keep Mowbray for the season unless we have a serious drop in form and have no chance of promotion. 

Pep isnt on the market tho is he? Plus he aint going to come to keague 1 club. Hes a world class manager. 

Would I sack Mowbray cos Grayson is available and would maybe come? No I wouldnt not at the stage. I think sacking a manager when we are 6th in the league is quite frankly pathetic and arrogant. 

10 minutes ago, gumboots said:

And yet Leicester sacked Ranieri after they won the league and City changed manager when they won the league too. It's a cae of bettering your club if you feel you can. We could if our owners had any desire to do so.

Ranieri was sacked after Leicester were close to bottom 3 and the players stop playing for him..

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I'm not Rovers owner tho am I?

I am very happy to keep Mowbray for the season unless we have a serious drop in form and have no chance of promotion. 

Pep isnt on the market tho is he? Plus he aint going to come to keague 1 club. Hes a world class manager. 

Would I sack Mowbray cos Grayson is available and would maybe come? No I wouldnt not at the stage. I think sacking a manager when we are 6th in the league is quite frankly pathetic and arrogant. 

You couldn't make it up. :lol:

We are 6th place yes. 3 points behind Charlton and closer to the bottom 3 than we are to Shrewsbury. Everything is rosy :)

Brilliant comment that you'd only look to change manager if there "was no chance of promotion". In which case you'd drastically reduce your pool of managers willing to take on the job and you'd also be left with no chance of achieving the objectives clearly set out before the season.

You wouldn't be sacking Mowbray because Grayson is available. You'd be sacking Mowbray because he has underperformed in every target set out for him since he became Rovers' manager.

53 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Ranieri was sacked after Leicester were close to bottom 3 and the players stop playing for him..

I'm fully aware of that but you would have thought he'd earned enough credit to be allowed a bit longer to see if he could turn it round. There's no room for sentiment if you want to progress. Mowbray sounds like a figure from my childhood. His accent takes me back to home, but as a football manager I'm not convinced. 

Archived