BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Simon Grayson

I'd approach him today. He knows the club, he knows the area, he knows how to get out of League 1, his son is here, he's pragmatic and gets results, he develops and plays young players.

The pattern has been set with Mowbray. Top 2 is still achievable but not with him*

* 97% sure ;)

#getoutclause

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In better circumstances he would be the ideal appointment for Rovers for all the reasons you mention. Decent bloke and ex-player also adds to the plus points. Formidable record in this league. Got Blackpool, Leeds, Huddersfield and Preston out of here and kept 3 of them up in the Championship.

Would he come here? I'm sure if the deal was right for him he would. However after Sunderland he can ill afford to jump into the wrong club and all the signs are we are wrong in every way possible at this moment in time, but if he limits himself to the Championship he might have a wait on his hands for a club to come in for him.

It would be negligent of the people running the club to not be thinking about him given our current position and results recently. We might not yet be at the stage where Mowbray is on his way but carry on like this and we won't be far off.

Sadly we know that if/when Mowbray departs so begins a period of 'confusion' where they drop Johnson/Dunn/Lowe into the driving seat.

The very least they should be doing in the coming days is putting the feelers out as to whether Grayson would take it if offered. He might tell us to do one, in which case we know where we stand, but if he's open to the idea then that opens up avenues should things not improve quickly with the current manager.

Where I stand on this is yes it might seem harsh on Mowbray to some but changing or upgrading on paper from a position of relative stability is better than a knee jerk after losing 3 on the bounce lurking in midtable and approaching a window where one or two have downed tools again and eye an escape. That would make a massive change to how things are usually done here and for once there is actually something to build on.

No surprise that I still think some buttons at Ewood get pushed from people they shouldn't and i'll never be convinced whilst there's clouds in the sky that our managers have sole control over every transfer or even team selection (rotation rotation) but that's just my personal opinion. With that in mind though they'll never stray away from guys with certain connections who are happy to come here and play ball so that all but rules out anything sensible or ambitious.

Unless Graysons connection follow a similar path ?

So yeah I feel a bit harsh on TM I like him but no room for sentiment we've seen how he works for long enough now. If stability is the aim ready for another downgrade he's the man long term, if you want to get places pretty sharpish it's time for horses for courses.

Just now, JHRover said:

In better circumstances he would be the ideal appointment for Rovers for all the reasons you mention. Decent bloke and ex-player also adds to the plus points. Formidable record in this league. Got Blackpool, Leeds, Huddersfield and Preston out of here and kept 3 of them up in the Championship.

Would he come here? I'm sure if the deal was right for him he would. However after Sunderland he can ill afford to jump into the wrong club and all the signs are we are wrong in every way possible at this moment in time, but if he limits himself to the Championship he might have a wait on his hands for a club to come in for him.

It would be negligent of the people running the club to not be thinking about him given our current position and results recently. We might not yet be at the stage where Mowbray is on his way but carry on like this and we won't be far off.

Sadly we know that if/when Mowbray departs so begins a period of 'confusion' where they drop Johnson/Dunn/Lowe into the driving seat.

The very least they should be doing in the coming days is putting the feelers out as to whether Grayson would take it if offered. He might tell us to do one, in which case we know where we stand, but if he's open to the idea then that opens up avenues should things not improve quickly with the current manager.

I agree but the problem is - who are the " they " in your last paragraph ?  The lights are on but there's nobody at home.

Its pretty telling that he was one of the people Souness shipped out. Grayson made the ludicrous statement that it was strange Souness thought he was good enough for Preston but not Rovers. In 2000.

Grayson came across completely uninspiring in the Sunderland role from day 1. Yeah maybe there was too much to fix but in that case he shouldn't have taken it. Probably won't hurt his employment chances but its still a waste of a few months. Knowing that Steele is average at best by Championship standards (some might say below average) is that really the best he could do? 

Its supposed to be the entertainment business. Look at Grayson he's a miserable looking individual wouldn't it be better having someone to brighten up the place? He looks more suited to being the manager of a cement mixers. Granted with the current situation Kevin Keegan (not suggesting him) probably couldn't inject any positivity. Did think Lambert was the least charismatic man in the world at one time though and he was a little better than I thought in that department.

Just seen this as well. Outrageous.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4754810/Gibson-s-reputation-tatters-ll-pick-says-Grayson.html

Says the club wasn't in a position to move players on. Then why the hell take the job? Maybe he just took it for a bigger salary and a likely payoff. Is that really someone people want making decisions? 

EDIT-Been told he was on three times the salary he had at Preston.

8 minutes ago, Vinjay17 said:

Just seen this as well. Outrageous.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4754810/Gibson-s-reputation-tatters-ll-pick-says-Grayson.html

Says the club wasn't in a position to move players on. Then why the hell take the job? Maybe he just took it for a bigger salary and a likely payoff. Is that really someone people want making decisions? 

EDIT-Been told he was on three times the salary he had at Preston.

Outrageous. Giving a bloke another chance because if he didn't it would harm the club.

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Hasnt Grayson at Sunderland struggle to get them to keep clean sheets and be defensive solid?

Isnt this meant to be one of his strengths?

Maybe he has not had time to implement what he has successfuly done previously

Serious question , what do you consider TM's strengths

WTF does it matter what happened when he was a player 17 years ago when he was probably being frozen out anyway so dug his heels in it was hardly a Best or Stokes scenario. Or he signed Steele ? big deal so did Bowyer.

The only thing we need to look at is his FOUR pro motions from this league one at a bonkers over expectant club who probably had the biggest budget and best facilities in this league like ourselves. The other 3 more modest in size crowds and probably squad wise similar to ourselves.

IF and I stress IF we were looking seriously it's a no brainer, forget that he might not be capable of a step to the Prem or top of the Champ we are in league 1 and look set to stay so let's try and solve that first, horses for courses.

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Hasnt Grayson at Sunderland struggle to get them to keep clean sheets and be defensive solid?

Forget what he did or didn't do in the space of a few short months at Sunderland and look at what he did at Preston in recent times that has more bearing on us now than the rotting corpse of a North East giant.

Same goes for Mowbrays effort at West Brom or clownpants at Burnley it takes a different approach and set of skills to vault out of this division.

28 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Even Jose Park The Bus Mourinho wouldn't get that Sunderland side keeping clean sheets. Not sure if anyone can save them this season, really poor side.

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

He took a keeper whom you preferred over Robbo.... 

Archived