BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] So, what signings do we need in January?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

100% we need some depth out wide. Some people responded negatively to my suggestion of bringing back Feeney in January but, the way I see it, he's been playing well for Cardiff, who are currently challenging for promotion in the Championship, so for fans of a club resorting to playing Dominic Samuel out wide left to turn their noses up at him is pretty arrogant. It's also a free addition.

I would enquire about Downing in the summer (cue BDS' I told you so :rolleyes::lol:) but don't think he'll be first choice with Lenihan fit. He's better back up than Ward though and I'd feel a lot better about our defence with him gone: Mulgrew, Lenihan, Wharton & Downing are 4 good choices at this level.

I think that would be our work done. In a dream scenario we'd bring in a left back too but can't see it happening. Maybe that's work for summer......

This will be a good topic until it's hijacked with the "how boring is it when fans over analyse-let Tony work" tribe.

10 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

100% we need some depth out wide. Some people responded negatively to my suggestion of bringing back Feeney in January but, the way I see it, he's been playing well for Cardiff, who are currently challenging for promotion in the Championship, so for fans of a club resorting to playing Dominic Samuel out wide left to turn their noses up at him is pretty arrogant. It's also a free addition.

I would enquire about Downing in the summer (cue BDS' I told you so :rolleyes::lol:) but don't think he'll be first choice with Lenihan fit. He's better back up than Ward though and I'd feel a lot better about our defence with him gone: Mulgrew, Lenihan, Wharton & Downing are 4 good choices at this level.

I think that would be our work done. In a dream scenario we'd bring in a left back too but can't see it happening. Maybe that's work for summer......

This will be a good topic until it's hijacked with the "how boring is it when fans over analyse-let Tony work" tribe.

Good post. No I told you so's here :) 

Have to agree with you on the above, including bringing Feeney back. He would be a solid addition I think. Be great if we could get Ward off the books as well, as those 4 are definitely the ideal 4 CB options. Hopefully Lenihans rehab goes smoothly. 

A good topic until it is hi-jacked by people doing the above or making ridiculous suggestions. Wait and see ;)

How many loans can we get in out of interest?  

I would definitely look to sign Downing. Would you inquire about Antonnsson? Not really a signing, but tying Nutall down to an extended deal would be a positive move also. 

20 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Good post. No I told you so's here :) 

Have to agree with you on the above, including bringing Feeney back. He would be a solid addition I think. Be great if we could get Ward off the books as well, as those 4 are definitely the ideal 4 CB options. Hopefully Lenihans rehab goes smoothly. 

A good topic until it is hi-jacked by people doing the above or making ridiculous suggestions. Wait and see ;)

How many loans can we get in out of interest?  

I would definitely look to sign Downing. Would you inquire about Antonnsson? Not really a signing, but tying Nutall down to an extended deal would be a positive move also. 

I think it is 5 loans at any one time. We currently have Downing, Chapman, Antonsson & Harper. I think if you move to make one permanent, ie Downing, in the summer then it doesn't count towards your loanee numbers. In which case we'd have room for two others and, providing we get Downing on a pre-contract, a further defender for free. Would be shrewd business imo.

I wouldn't with Antonnson no. He's getting away with his goals in this league but the rest of his game is less than impressive. He was poor for Leeds last season in the Championship and I am hoping for promotion. Should we get promoted I want better players than him! This is the league for him in my opinion.

Nuttall definitely, if not only to secure a potential future fee. A Championship club might take a punt on him for free if we don't tie him down.

Another central midfielder in the ilk of a younger Whittingham would be nice. I was massively impressed with Jack Payne on Tuesday night and he's on loan from Huddersfield at Oxford. Obviously we'd be unable to get him for the remainder of the season but definitely one to watch in my opinion! 

I think Mowbray hit the nail on the head the other day when he said we need another player like Dack who has the "x factor". There will be games at home against teams sitting really deep, we need someone who has the big of magic to create a chance or two.

I'd go for a pacey winger and a skillful striker because we're going to have to keep scoring goals to stay in contention.

A decent left back would be a bonus.

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Not sure where you've got that from, in regards to him playing well for Cardiff, you only need to look at their forums and on twitter "please take feeney back" and "how's whittingham doing, can't be any worse than how Feeney is doing here" and "feeney can't even get in the Blackburn team, he's crap"  just a few of the comments. Their fans think he's rubbish. He's only started two games all season, with no goals and one assist mate.

Just now, AAK said:

Not sure where you've got that from, in regards to him playing well for Cardiff, you only need to look at their forums and on twitter "please take feeney back" and "how's whittingham doing, can't be any worse than how Feeney is doing here" just a few of the comments. Their fans think he's awful.

That was just a comment from someone on the Cardiff page for their game vs Barnsley where someone said Feeney had a good game last time so didn't deserve the phrase "dropped".

Warnock has played him 10 times too so I assume he believes he's doing a decent enough job. Either way if Antonsson can score goals in this league Feeney could do a job.

1 minute ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

That was just a comment from someone on the Cardiff page for their game vs Barnsley where someone said Feeney had a good game last time so didn't deserve the phrase "dropped".

Warnock has played him 10 times too so I assume he believes he's doing a decent enough job. Either way if Antonsson can score goals in this league Feeney could do a job.

2 starts all season, and 8 sub appearances, with no goals and one assist, pretty poor that mate. I think he is pretty rubbish, I get the point about the pace, but he doesn't do anything with the ball mate. 

Jack Payne from Oxford, on loan from Huddersfield and they can recall him in January and send him on loan elsewhere. 2 goals and 9 assists this season, more including cup games. Been excellent this season. Doubt Huddersfield would want to deal with Rovers though. We need someone like him though. Marcus Maddison another good player, on the wing for Peterborough, 5 assists and 4 goals this season.

29 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I'm sure Mowbray said that he had some money left over which he didn't spend in August. Whether or not he still has would be in the hands of Charlie Cheston and the invisible man.

A bit like when Paul Senior came in and was armed with a budget to get us out of trouble and then proceeded to bring in his mate from Sheffield Wednesday on loan and nobody else.

We all know Venkys say one thing and do another so I don't doubt Mowbray's honesty when referring to his budget from the summer and cash being 'left over' the trouble is 6 months is a long time in Venky land and India is a long way away. Promises and budgets made in May 2017 I doubt will get us very far in January 2018.

Having said all that if we're set in the top 6 in January and Venkys sniff a chance to get promoted and 'redeem' themselves in the eyes of some then it would be up their street to chuck a few quid in to try and get us up.

So horrific has their 7 year tenure been that this is the first time going into Xmas and January that we are actually looking upwards and have some confidence that we are going to be there or thereabouts. An unsual feeling after 5 relegation seasons and a couple of mid tables.

16 minutes ago, AAK said:

2 starts all season, and 8 sub appearances, with no goals and one assist, pretty poor that mate. I think he is pretty rubbish, I get the point about the pace, but he doesn't do anything with the ball mate. 

Fair enough. My whole basis for the argument of bringing him back is that he's playing for a team challenging for promotion in a higher level than us whilst we are struggling to maintain form in this league. Plus it's a free addition.

I think he puts a better cross in than Antonsson!!

I was one of his biggest critics when he played for us last season but this level is way below what I thought it was going to be. Just think he'll add some depth at least. 

11 minutes ago, AAK said:

Jack Payne from Oxford, on loan from Huddersfield and they can recall him in January and send him on loan elsewhere. 2 goals and 9 assists this season, more including cup games. Been excellent this season. Doubt Huddersfield would want to deal with Rovers though. We need someone like him though. Marcus Maddison another good player, on the wing for Peterborough, 5 assists and 4 goals this season.

They are some decent stats. Why wouldn't they do business with us do you reckon? 

If we have money I would like to see us bid for someone in form this season from one of the other teams in the division. It would be a signal of intent. 

48 minutes ago, AAK said:

I hadn't heard of Payne until Tuesday but he really was excellent. Small, stocky, strong, low centre of gravity, two good feet, takes players on and creative. He looked a proper player but it would need more than one viewing to look for consistency. If he shows consistency (and his record season to date indicates he is) then Mowbray should be all over it in January.

1 hour ago, AAK said:

Jack Payne from Oxford, on loan from Huddersfield and they can recall him in January and send him on loan elsewhere.

He really stood out on Tuesday. Fantastic individual goal, too.

My concern is if Smallwood gets injured. Do we have ample cover for him? Of all our players, he's our most important, IMO. Midfielders can control all aspects of the game - and he does.

1 hour ago, AAK said:

Why not? At the time they had our pants down with the Rhodes fee, just need to stick one of those funny joke glasses/ moustache combos on the invisible Kentaro representative at Ewood and tell them we are sending Shebby in again to negotiate, They will welcome us with open arms :)

44 minutes ago, Phil T said:

He really stood out on Tuesday. Fantastic individual goal, too.

My concern is if Smallwood gets injured. Do we have ample cover for him? Of all our players, he's our most important, IMO. Midfielders can control all aspects of the game - and he does.

That's a very good point. We would be lost without him

Creativity is by far the most needed in January. Graham can score, Nuttall is scoring, Samuel has scored so far but to get us close to top 2 form we need to be creating more for them. Once Lenihan is back we will have Lenihan and Mulgrew who can both play CB or CM, with Downing a more than capable CB replacement. 

I'd be chasing Payne from Oxford after last night, the left back from Oldham (?) and then i'd get whoever Shrewsburys best player is just to throw them off.

Being the club with arguably the best 'pull' factor in this league you do wonder where we were at the beginning of the season for players like Payne.

I still think that certain dots have to join for most players who end up at Rovers, hopefully a bit of thinking out of the box in the next window.

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Being the club with arguably the best 'pull' factor in this league you do wonder where we were at the beginning of the season for players like Payne.

I still think that certain dots have to join for most players who end up at Rovers, hopefully a bit of thinking out of the box in the next window.

There's definitely been a lot of "thinking out the box" at Rovers in the last few years tomphil. I'd prefer us to think in the box and actually operate the way a club should run its transfer activities.

Mowbray said in an article some time ago that the previous window was a case of getting bodies in as quickly as possible and that there wasn't necessarily a reliance on scouts to do so. Which is probably why he used most of his old links. He doesn't have that excuse this time and whilst January is a notoriously difficult window to operate in you'd expect some more forward thinking signings and a bit of business that sets out a marker for the rest of the season.

Let's see if his new scouting department & Rigg pays for itself..........

22 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I think that's a bit harsh when you consider how good Chapman and Dack have been, both of whom play in similar positions. If there's been anything wrong with Rovers this season, it's not the players, nor the signings made, but the tactics.

As an aside, I'd never heard of Dack before we were in the running to sign him, and I'd never heard of Chapman before we did sign him! Similarly, I hadn't heard of Jack Payne before Tuesday's match. Just goes to show what I know.

1 hour ago, J*B said:

Creativity is by far the most needed in January. Graham can score, Nuttall is scoring, Samuel has scored so far but to get us close to top 2 form we need to be creating more for them. Once Lenihan is back we will have Lenihan and Mulgrew who can both play CB or CM, with Downing a more than capable CB replacement. 

I'd be chasing Payne from Oxford after last night, the left back from Oldham (?) and then i'd get whoever Shrewsburys best player is just to throw them off.

I honestly think Mulgrews midfield days are over. Lenihan may play there again, could be good back up fro Smallwood actually 

I like your plan re Shrewsbury, I have done it many times in football manager :);) 

Archived