BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] So, what signings do we need in January?

5 minutes ago, Phil T said:

I think that's a bit harsh when you consider how good Chapman and Dack have been, both of whom play in similar positions. If there's been anything wrong with Rovers this season, it's not the players, nor the signings made, but the tactics.

As an aside, I'd never heard of Dack before we were in the running to sign him, and I'd never heard of Chapman before we did sign him! Similarly, I hadn't heard of Jack Payne before Tuesday's match. Just goes to show what I know.

Same here with Dack and Chapman those two have worked out well so far but if your clued up about who's who and what is what as you'd expect the manger to be then I feel he could have done better than the likes of Gladwin & Harper and to an extent Whittingham. Ok you never know how any player is actually going to turn out but we should be able to cherry pick a bit in this league from those available to be borrowed from higher clubs.

Like I said earlier we should be able to be a bit cuter with any loans in Jan seeing as there isn't just a panic for bodies and hopefully we'll be in a decent league position. Hopefully identify a couple of positions and get the best available for those positions not just from the usual sources or a jobs for the boys because the gaffer knows them.

Far too much of that has gone on at Rovers.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd offer Nuttall a contract. I'd be looking for a winger to replace Antonnson if at all possible. Apart from the goals he's not contributed a great deal.  I wouldn't be rushing to sign Chapman until I was completely sure he'd recovered from that injury. Take a yard of pace off him and what have you got ? A younger version of Conway I suspect. I'd hold fire on Downing also, he's done nothing wrong at all but if we do get promoted will he be good enough ?

We need some real pace up front, especially wide out. If I could only fill one position that would be it. That Mendez Laing who went to Cardiff would have been a good signing in that respect.

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'd offer Nuttall a contract. I'd be looking for a winger to replace Antonnson if at all possible. Apart from the goals he's not contributed a great deal.  I wouldn't be rushing to sign Chapman until I was completely sure he'd recovered from that injury. Take a yard of pace off him and what have you got ? A younger version of Conway I suspect. I'd hold fire on Downing also, he's done nothing wrong at all but if we do get promoted will he be good enough ?

We need some real pace up front, especially wide out. If I could only fill one position that would be it. That Mendez Laing who went to Cardiff would have been a good signing in that respect.

Did Mendez Laing before he went to cardiff. 

I do like Antonsson out wide tbh. 

Maybe look at Josh Morris if we want a left winger. 

Would be looking at Devante Cole, a striker from Fleetwood. Has pace and score goals. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Would be looking at Devante Cole, a striker from Fleetwood. Has pace and score goals. 

That's possibly Antonnsons best position and he scores goal but I think we could do better.

Just now, J*B said:

It’s Rhodes mark two is this! Antonsson doesn’t run the channels enough! All he does is score goals!

Look at it like this - if Chapman has made a miraculous recovery and he is fit to play on Saturday who would you play on the left hand side up front ? Chapman or Antonnson ? 

We need another Chapman. Just my opinion of course.

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Look at it like this - if Chapman has made a miraculous recovery and he is fit to play on Saturday who would you play on the left hand side up front ? Chapman or Antonnson ? 

We need another Chapman. Just my opinion of course.

I play Antonsson, Dack and Chapman behind Graham myself, but I take your point!

9 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

100% we need some depth out wide. Some people responded negatively to my suggestion of bringing back Feeney in January but, the way I see it, he's been playing well for Cardiff, who are currently challenging for promotion in the Championship, so for fans of a club resorting to playing Dominic Samuel out wide left to turn their noses up at him is pretty arrogant. It's also a free addition.

I would enquire about Downing in the summer (cue BDS' I told you so :rolleyes::lol:) but don't think he'll be first choice with Lenihan fit. He's better back up than Ward though and I'd feel a lot better about our defence with him gone: Mulgrew, Lenihan, Wharton & Downing are 4 good choices at this level.

I think that would be our work done. In a dream scenario we'd bring in a left back too but can't see it happening. Maybe that's work for summer......

This will be a good topic until it's hijacked with the "how boring is it when fans over analyse-let Tony work" tribe.

Good post but we are where we are with Feeney and co. He better not come back get a young lad in

A genuine box-to-box midfielder.......and a winger who can get to the line and get the ball in. In Graham and Nuttall we have two players who need service from out wide.

Also another CH. Lenihan may well be off if he recovers and Sheff Utd  offer the right money. They could possibly be in the Prem come August. He won't turn that down you'd think.

Jack Payne would definitely be worth a shout. Had never heard of him before but was really impressed with his performance against us and it made me dig a bit further into him. Was Player of the Season for Southend in 2016 and played 23 games for Huddersfield in their promotion season last year. 

Only 23 so a good age as well so plenty of resale value. Obviously deemed not good enough for Huddersfields squad in the PL and the longer they are there I would imagine his chances will diminish further with all the PL money swirling around. I would be sniffing around him now before Championship clubs notice him.

Agree on the Bury LB as well.

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Morris is a good footballer and has a sweet left foot but in my honest opinion our side lacks pace so I'd rather we bring in pace on the wings in January a similar player to Chapman hopefully

We need a proper midfielder with a bit of creativity to go next to Smallwood. Whittingham isn't good enough, neither is a Evans, and Harper is a 17 year old kid. A new left back is also needed, Leigh from Bury might be worth a shout, he's very highly rated by Bury fans.

Depends who leaves ... you never know which championship manager rates players like Bennett , Graham , Mulgrew etc ,even the likes of Smallwood on his performances   I called it back in September , that Lenighans injury just might clear up in time for the January window and with Sheff Utd riding high they just might come back in for him 

9 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

A genuine box-to-box midfielder.......and a winger who can get to the line and get the ball in. In Graham and Nuttall we have two players who need service from out wide.

Also another CH. Lenihan may well be off if he recovers and Sheff Utd  offer the right money. They could possibly be in the Prem come August. He won't turn that down you'd think.

Every striker thrives on good winger play. First and foremost we need another quick winger with an eye for goal. I hope I'm wrong but there's no guarantee  that Chapman will be back to full fitness any time soon.

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

They'd do for me but I suspect the chances are really slim. Byrne's already been here and I would have thought he didn't exactly enjoy his time here. Would Payne want to come mid season ?

From the limited views I have had of Byrne and Payne they are both very similar in stature and playing style. We already have Dack in this mould but out of the two Payne looked the better.

Just now, arbitro said:

From the limited views I have had of Byrne and Payne they are both very similar in stature and playing style. We already have Dack in this mould but out of the two Payne looked the better.

Yes you're right, although I think Payne has more of a goal threat. . I was thinking of any one of them, not both together. Along with other people on here I'm warming to Dack now he's showing us what he can do on a regular basis. I'm thinking what if he gets injured  ? We'd be stuck then , I suppose Gladwin is the nearest thing we've got to him. 

Archived