BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] So, what signings do we need in January?

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I thought Tomlinson would get more time myself, although I have read he has some personal issues this season. I don't know much about Hardcastle to be honest. 

So anyway, your point is you would just release Evans and play one of them. A bit rash, no? 

Course it is a bit rash, I also doubt he has seen much more than the fleeting highlights or odd appearance in the u23s of either. I’d love to see us improve on our midfield, someone mentioned Byrne, I like the thought of him and Smallwood together! The idea of releasing one of our most able and experienced midfielders and replacing with a kid, baffles me.

One of the problems I have with these suggestions; If they hit the first team and “underperform” they are pilloried for not being ready, along with the manager for not selecting them. The most recent example is in the Bury away thread, when Nuttall was crazily slammed by one or two!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Garage Flower said:

Winger with real pace

left back even if it’s just back up Williams is fine at this level for me

Downing on a permanent if possible and if Lenihan goes a first choice centre half replacement

Not going to sign a reserve left nack when we signed Hart in the last window.

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Do we need another striker? We have Samuel, Nutall, Antonnsson and Graham who can all play there. We play one upfront. Would he come here to be 1 of 5? I would prefer a winger and back up fro Smallwood to be honest. 

Yes we do. 

Antonsson is playing well on the left wing currently and scoring goals from there. 

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes we do. 

Antonsson is playing well on the left wing currently and scoring goals from there. 

We currently have 3 plus Antonnsson for 1 position. I don't see how it is a priority at all. I would maybe get a youngster in on loan, but I wouldn't be spending any of our budget on getting a striker. 

1 hour ago, Biz said:

Course it is a bit rash, I also doubt he has seen much more than the fleeting highlights or odd appearance in the u23s of either. I’d love to see us improve on our midfield, someone mentioned Byrne, I like the thought of him and Smallwood together! The idea of releasing one of our most able and experienced midfielders and replacing with a kid, baffles me.

One of the problems I have with these suggestions; If they hit the first team and “underperform” they are pilloried for not being ready, along with the manager for not selecting them. The most recent example is in the Bury away thread, when Nuttall was crazily slammed by one or two!

In fairness I wouldn't agree with releasing Evans but one of more abled players? He has done absolutely nothing in a Rovers shirt.Never seen him take the game by the scruff of the neck.In all his time here he has either been injured or poor

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We currently have 3 plus Antonnsson for 1 position. I don't see how it is a priority at all. I would maybe get a youngster in on loan, but I wouldn't be spending any of our budget on getting a striker. 

Nuttall is still young. 

Graham looks like his legs gone and work rate isnt there either. Plus he out of contract this summer aswell. 

Cole is a goal scorer and would give us pace up front

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Nuttall is still young. 

Graham looks like his legs gone and work rate isnt there either. Plus he out of contract this summer aswell. 

How much would he cost? Can't see us signing a striker for a fee considering our current options 

So his Dad can turn up at Brockhall and swan around the place? Even though he never warned Williams, etc after a "little bird" told him about Kean? No thanks. One of footballs "good guys" he called him. :rolleyes:

Only way club should sign his son is to ruin his career as payback.

55 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Nuttall is still young. 

Cole's goal record is similar to Samuels, who has not pulled up any trees and is now behind Nuttall and Graham to play up front.

Just now, Mike E said:

TM seemed to indicate at the Consultation that he fancies trying the young ones Jan onwards.

I suspect we'll be seeing more of Tomlinson in particular.

Why not now? Someone like Travis would have been perfect to have had on the bench on Tuesday and will be perfect tomorrow, seeing as we are short in wide areas, but no doubt he won't get a look in.

8 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

How much would he cost? Can't see us signing a striker for a fee considering our current options 

I think 500k would get him tbh. 

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Cole's goal record is similar to Samuels, who has not pulled up any trees and is now behind Nuttall and Graham to play up front.

I wouldnt say Samuel is behind Graham at all. Nuttall deserved his chance and should be starting today game. 

You know my opinion on Graham. 

On 11/23/2017 at 21:09, chaddyrovers said:

I do like Antonsson out wide tbh.

I agree with that. If you score goals, which he's certainly been doing from that wide left position, then what on earth are we doing, talking about replacing him? Goals are gold dust in football!

I think some fans made their decision on Antonsson in his first game, and outright refuse to change their stance on him. Didn't they, @Tyrone Shoelaces? ^_^;)

Just now, Phil T said:

I agree with that. If you score goals, which he's certainly been doing from that wide left position, then what on earth are we doing, talking about replacing him? Goals are gold dust in football!

I think some fans made their decision on Antonsson in his first game, and outright refuse to change their stance on him. Didn't they, @Tyrone Shoelaces? ^_^;)

I think you're being a bit harsh there Phil. I was unimpressed when I saw him the first time in the flesh. He isn't quick and he isn't strong. Being either one of those things is pretty handy playing up front. He runs around a lot to no great effect. Nothing I've seen since has changed my mind on that score.

I've said subsequently he obviously has an eye for goal and he's a more than decent finisher. I also said he's got the shirt as long as he keeps scoring. So I have changed my stance to a certain degree. 

I don't think I'm alone in wondering how he ever got that big money move to Leeds.

16 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think you're being a bit harsh there Phil. I was unimpressed when I saw him the first time in the flesh. He isn't quick and he isn't strong. Being either one of those things is pretty handy playing up front. He runs around a lot to no great effect. Nothing I've seen since has changed my mind on that score.

I've said subsequently he obviously has an eye for goal and he's a more than decent finisher. I also said he's got the shirt as long as he keeps scoring. So I have changed my stance to a certain degree. 

I don't think I'm alone in wondering how he ever got that big money move to Leeds.

I don't disagree about the rest of his game, and I hope he can work on it to complement his goals, but that might be wishful thinking. As you say, if he keeps scoring from that position, he's not going to be omitted from the team (unless rest is necessary), and he certainly isn't going to be overlooked by a replacement in January.

I'm not sure that a rumoured fee of up to £2m constitutes a big money move for a 25 year-old who'd scored in every other game at his previous club. Clubs often pay over the odds for goal-scoring strikers.

Archived