BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Wigan

Just now, BRFCMAD said:

But Peterborough lose the 'new manager bounce' effect, as this would have been Steve Evans first game in charge.

Possibly but I'd take the possibility of a big gap for us and a more congested fixture list over that. Evans is a despicable manager anyway.

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A draw is NOT acceptable, it keeps status quo with Wigan instead of the upper hand in the "6 pointer".  It also is a potential 2 points dropped in our race with the  Shrews, you know that team that can not keep up this pace and will fall away.  They show no signs of folding.

We have some tricky games yet to play so we MUST win this one.  Anything less and I will be sorely disappointed.

Any chance this game could be off?

43 minutes ago, USABlue said:

A draw is NOT acceptable, it keeps status quo with Wigan instead of the upper hand in the "6 pointer".  It also is a potential 2 points dropped in our race with the  Shrews, you know that team that can not keep up this pace and will fall away.  They show no signs of folding.

We have some tricky games yet to play so we MUST win this one.  Anything less and I will be sorely disappointed.

What if Wigan went 0-2 up and we fought back second half to draw 2-2? Still unacceptable?

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

A draw is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

A draw is a shocking result.

Lol. Some drama queens on here today. A draw would be disappointing and an opportunity missed. Nothing more.

Only today?  Yeah I suppose, nothing more than the possibility of another year at this level.

Just now, USABlue said:

Only today?  Yeah I suppose, nothing more than the possibility of another year at this level.

A possibility that will be there whether we win, lose or draw.

It's  like saying failure to win any game this season is unacceptable.

12 minutes ago, Hasta said:

A possibility that will be there whether we win, lose or draw.

It's  like saying failure to win any game this season is unacceptable.

No, although reading comments on here you'd think so, just this one.  OK and every one from now until we are mathematically assured of promotion.  That's all, it's not a lot to ask.

Usablue, I think hasta is talking sense here, your being overdramatic. Promotion isn't over even if we lose. Of course we want to win as many as possible to secure promotion as soon as possible, but that's probably not.. Possible..

3 hours ago, BRFCMAD said:

Usablue, I think hasta is talking sense here, your being overdramatic. Promotion isn't over even if we lose. Of course we want to win as many as possible to secure promotion as soon as possible, but that's probably not.. Possible..

I don't think so, a draw is not good enough.  We want to win this one.

From the Mulgrew article in the LT:

Mulgrew believes Rovers will need to play the game and not the occasion at Ewood Park where a crowd of more than 15,000 is expected

Considering Wigan will have around 2,500 there, 12,500 Rovers fans doesn’t scream ‘occasion’ to me, who knew charging up to £30 for a televised match would fail to bring in the punters...

37 minutes ago, SAMCRO said:

Wait, it's on TV? I assume no iFollow then.. Anyone know of any paid streams that aren't region blocked? 

Pub/bar round the corner will avoid the mods being very unhappy with you.

The time of kick off means Rovers are not competing with other offerings.

In Malta I might have to push off the Genoa v Cagliari 11.30 kick off but I don't think either of those clubs have local tifosi (James Richardson where are you?). However, there is a serious risk of Arsenal fans out voting me for our last 15 minutes with their 13.30 kick off at Brighton but I can shame them by taking about their recent performances VERY LOUDLY. How do you spell Ostersund by the way?

Other than that we are in a football wasteland slot and should have the eyes of the world upon us.

I feel a stale 0-0 for 70 minutes when Wigan grab the eventual winner being a lifelong Rover given all this exposure we are going to get...

Talking of exposure, anybody round Ewood going to make sure the club remember to turn on the undersoil heating and check for burst pipes and the River Darwen diverting course into the Riverside/Darwen End corner? 

7 minutes ago, BigUts said:

How's the weather in Blackburn? Any chance this is going to be called off?

It's fine. No chance it would be off if it was played this afternoon. Snow forecast overnight though.

10 minutes ago, BigUts said:

How's the weather in Blackburn? Any chance this is going to be called off?

I won’t say no chance but as someone who never gambles I’d put money on the match going ahead.

A 30% chance of snow or rain between 4.00 and 8.00am. 14% chance of rain at 12.00, 8mph wind and 2C. Looks good to me.

I’m five miles west of Ewood. We’ve virtually no snow and a bit of a thaw yesterday. Frigging cold wind though. 

I assume that as so many league one and championship fuxtures are off, regardless of undersoil heating, our fixture must be in some doubt. There's nothing on the official site about the pitch condition. 

Is anyone saying it's definitely on or probably on? Or anything? 

On the 'is a draw a disaster' debate, surely avoiding defeat against a team tgat has beaten the best team in europe and has been ahead of us all season, will be a positive result?

I'm just looking forward to a real cut and thrust encounter, and a reasonable atmosphere, which will be replicated when Blackpool and Bradford come to town.

Other than a planetary alignment things seem to be falling in to place. Shrewsbury and Rotherham (not that I see them as a threat) postponed. A great chance to go 7, 9 and 13 points clear of Shrewsbury, Wigan and Rotherham. 

With every hour that passes this becomes more and more a must win game. 

Though I’m very much in agreement not winning is only a missed opportunity not a disaster. 

25 minutes ago, garnersfags said:

On the 'is a draw a disaster' debate, surely avoiding defeat against a team tgat has beaten the best team in europe and has been ahead of us all season, will be a positive result?

I'd agree that a draw won't be a disaster by any means but I'm not sure of the validity of using the City game as a reason why. Football doesn't really work like that. Wigan lost at home  to Blackpool 4 days earlier so The Seasiders must be good for a Champions League quarter-final spot at least.

30 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Wigan won't win all their games in hand and a draw would keep the status quo.  I'd say it's more important not to lose than to win 

Let’s hope Tony isn’t saying the same! Need to be going out for the win tomorrow - we won’t have a better chance. We’ve won 4 on the trot and confidence is sky high. 

Tough game this, probably a lot tougher than The Shrews game. As committed as the Shrews are they don't have the players that can hurt you like Wigan do. Grigg, Powell and Vaughan will be a handful and the likes of Mulgrew, Lenihan and Smallwood (and Raya) will all have to be on their game if aren't going to concede a couple of sloppy goals. Wigan have only conceded 18 all season and 5 of those have been in the 2 games prior to the Man City game so it won't be easy scoring against them.

A win would obviously be a fantastic result but I wouldn't be too disappointed with a draw against the only other club in the league with the players and budget to match ours.

Archived