BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] THE BATTLE FOR PROMOTION....WON.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Nonsense. The complaint has been about apparently giving up on the Title quest just as it came in sight.

Now we need a Wigan failure and a win ourselves.

I think Wigan and their Chef will overCook on Saturday and implode leaving the door ajar again.

What's nonsense about it? I see it with my own eyes on Twitter

Hopefully they do. It would be a sweet and deserved end to the season..

14 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The most infuriating aspect of this whole debate, and in my opinion the reason why it has gone on, is the ignorance, either purposely or accidentally, of what the brunt of the argument actually is.

People are NOT saying that, looking at the start of the season, that 2nd place would have been considered a failure, nor will it be now.

People are NOT saying that Saturday in isolation is anything to get too made over, that Mowbray is pretending that players are injured, that we didnt play well enough or that the game should have been easy. The argument has NOTHING to do with it.

People are NOT saying that they are anything but grateful/impressed/delighted about the overall job that the manager and set of players have done.

Yet people defending Mowbray keep harping back to these points, either purposely to try and deride those who have made a valid point by taking them off on a tangent, or because the original argument of Mowbray etcs 

It is the ATTITUDE/DISREGARD towards winning the league, from a NO LOSE situation, whereby promotion has ALREADY been achieved.

@Bigdoggsteel apologies for picking you out, just because a few of your comments are on the last 2 pages, dont take it personally:

"Is it a bad season in your opinion if we don't come first? "

"getting very upset about the possibility that we won't finish 1st"

Also from @CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber

"not by changing the team around once we had been promoted"

These comments are examples, of what I mentioned before, the misunderstanding in regards to why people were annoyed. The annoyance originated from the media commens showing this attitude.

One additional thing. The Full Members Cup is something that Rovers fans seem to look back fondly upon, even now. I wasnt born when we won it, and wouldnt have heard of the competition had we not won it. So to imply that our fans wouldnt remember a League title in a couple of years is ignorant and quite frankly incorrect from the manager.

I am not annoyed, but you just picked 1 sentence from pages of posts. I do see people very upset on social media that we have "thrown the league away" I find it strange because A-the league isn't over and B-Rather than saying we threw anything away, I think we gained a lot this season. I get peoples views about Mowbays comments and he seems to have a more positive tone this week, but a lot of those criticizing his comments are the same ones saying the league is over now. Contradiction? 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I am not annoyed, but you just picked 1 sentence from pages of posts. I do see people very upset on social media that we have "thrown the league away" I find it strange because A-the league isn't over and B-Rather than saying we threw anything away, I think we gained a lot this season. I get peoples views about Mowbays comments and he seems to have a more positive tone this week, but a lot of those criticizing his comments are the same ones saying the league is over now. Contradiction? 

Not withstanding the fact we are up, would you consider two losses in the final two games ‘a good way to finish the season’?

And if Wigan lose tomorrow and we don’t win because we played the same team that faced Charlton, would you not be just a little disappointed?

Mowbray did not pick a team to beat Charlton last weekend. He picked a team based on injuries, fine (although I remain unconvinced about the severity of all of them), but where he compounded it, and ultimately “threw the game”, was to start Leutweiler, Caddis, and Samuel when he had better options on the bench, and changed to a system that he had already previously tried and failed in this league.

This obstinacy is what has annoyed people, with some justification when we were so close to the title.

Just now, Stuart said:

Not withstanding the fact we are up, would you consider two losses in the final two games ‘a good way to finish the season’?

And if Wigan lose tomorrow and we don’t win because we played the same team that faced Charlton, would you not be just a little disappointed?

Mowbray did not pick a team to beat Charlton last weekend. He picked a team based on injuries, fine (although I remain unconvinced about the severity of all of them), but where he compounded it, and ultimately “threw the game”, was to start Leutweiler, Caddis, and Samuel when he had better options on the bench, and changed to a system that he had already previously tried and failed in this league.

This obstinacy is what has annoyed people, with some justification when we were so close to the title.

I understand your point of view Stuart, you don't have to keep telling me :) 

On Charlton, a bit harsh on Leutwiler, I don't think he did much wrong. Samuel, I understand Mowbarys thinking, the guy needs a goal. Caddis was strange with Travis on the bench, no doubt. He should have started Travis and brought Caddis on if he wanted.  

No, I would consider 2 losses to finish the season very poor. I don't think we will lose tomorrow though 

Just now, Vinjay17 said:

Can't really see Doncaster going out of their way to put in a performance. I wouldn't be surprised if Whelan is close to the Ferguson family.

Donny can’t even finish top half with a win, and there won’t be any incentive of increased prize money. The EFL should really look at that, it makes for some very uncompetitive end of season games and rewards success and failure equally. Their only incentive might be players playing for their future.

So Wigan to win at a canter. Rovers to win and rue last weekend and the sacrifice of a two goal lead at Ewood. The latter being another blot on Mowbray’s copy book. We were calling for substitutions at 2-0 as Wigan were getting the better of us and he waited until they equalised before changing things.

We’ll never know ultimately if Mowbray’s approach held back the pre-season favourites from breaking records, or if his use of the squad to effectively have 18 strong, regular first team players involved helped us to avoid an injury/suspension crisis resulting in a collapse of Shrewsbury proportions.

But the facts are that the pre-season title favourites have finished second and the pre-season relegation favourites finished third. If there’s any justice, Paul Hirst will win L1 MotY. Mowbray doesn’t deserve the honour IMHO but I’d be very disappointed if we had already helped the classless Paul Cook to win it to add insult to Rovers injury-hit, short-lived, title challenge.

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I understand your point of view Stuart, you don't have to keep telling me :) 

On Charlton, a bit harsh on Leutwiler, I don't think he did much wrong. Samuel, I understand Mowbarys thinking, the guy needs a goal. Caddis was strange with Travis on the bench, no doubt. He should have started Travis and brought Caddis on if he wanted.  

No, I would consider 2 losses to finish the season very poor. I don't think we will lose tomorrow though 

That’s an outrageous opinion. You should just be grateful we got promoted. :) 

Personally I’d have preferred Rovers to achieve their goal than Samuel.

Leutweiller is not as good as Fisher. Canada must be really struggling to find 11 footballers.

28 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The one aspect of @Stuart argument that i differ with, although I am on the same side of the debate, is that I dont even have any anomisity specifically from the Charlton game or team selection. The resting of players with knocks or even what was in my opinion the wrong selection and system from the players left.If we had lost but Mowbray had said in the build up something like "we desperately want to have 2 final pushes to try our best to get that title in our trophy cabinet," or something like that, then we had lost Id have found it much easier to stomach.

It might look like nit picking but it isnt, what I dont like is the disregard for a potentially league title.

You say weve gained a lot this season. Thats something thats never been questioned and something that im immensely happy with and looking to celebrate further tomorrow. But its irrelevant from the point at hand.

Just now, Stuart said:

That’s an outrageous opinion. You should just be grateful we got promoted. :) 

Personally I’d have preferred Rovers to achieve their goal than Samuel.

Leutweiller is not as good as Fisher. Canada must be really struggling to find 11 footballers.

I am grateful that we haven't lost 2 in a row since, when, October? :) So, doubt that will continue tomorrow, but you never know. At least we are promoted. Imagine going into tomorrow needing a win and heaven forbid, someone else to do us a favour. 

He was a lick of paint from scoring a header, that's football. 

What are you basing your assessment of Leutwiler on? I haven't seen him do anything wrong

Just now, roversfan99 said:

The one aspect of @Stuart argument that i differ with, although I am on the same side of the debate, is that I dont even have any anomisity specifically from the Charlton game or team selection. The resting of players with knocks or even what was in my opinion the wrong selection and system from the players left.If we had lost but Mowbray had said in the build up something like "we desperately want to have 2 final pushes to try our best to get that title in our trophy cabinet," or something like that, then we had lost Id have found it much easier to stomach.

It might look like nit picking but it isnt, what I dont like is the disregard for a potentially league title.

You say weve gained a lot this season. Thats something thats never been questioned and something that im immensely happy with and looking to celebrate further tomorrow. But its irrelevant from the point at hand.

I get yer points, ye make them moderately and well. Not everyone is doing the same. 

Saying we gained a lot is hardly irrelevant to any conversation about this season though. Now that we are up, its a huge relief and exciting having something to build on, but while ,from the outside, we were expected to go up, we all know that it didn't always look so nailed on. 

I am grateful that we haven't lost 2 in a row since, when, October? :) So, doubt that will continue tomorrow, but you never know. At least we are promoted. Imagine going into tomorrow needing a win and heaven forbid, someone else to do us a favour. 

He was a lick of paint from scoring a header, that's football. 

What are you basing your assessment of Leutwiler on? I haven't seen him do anything wrong

To be honest, a dreadful full game for the U23s. He conceded two. Albinson is a better keeper.

If he were at any other club I’d be crying foul. Blatantly used for international break postponements.

36 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

What's nonsense about it? I see it with my own eyes on Twitter

Hopefully they do. It would be a sweet and deserved end to the season..

Can I politely suggest you mouth off an Twitter about tweets by Twitter twerps.

Just now, Stuart said:

To be honest, a dreadful full game for the U23s. He conceded two. Albinson is a better keeper.

If he were at any other club I’d be crying foul. Blatantly used for international break postponements.

One bad game? Come on Stuart :) 

One bad game? Come on Stuart :) 

2 games, 2 defeats. It’s a cut throat business.

How many good games have you seen him play?

19 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Donny can’t even finish top half with a win, and there won’t be any incentive of increased prize money. The EFL should really look at that, it makes for some very uncompetitive end of season games and rewards success and failure equally. Their only incentive might be players playing for their future.

So Wigan to win at a canter. Rovers to win and rue last weekend and the sacrifice of a two goal lead at Ewood. The latter being another blot on Mowbray’s copy book. We were calling for substitutions at 2-0 as Wigan were getting the better of us and he waited until they equalised before changing things.

We’ll never know ultimately if Mowbray’s approach held back the pre-season favourites from breaking records, or if his use of the squad to effectively have 18 strong, regular first team players involved helped us to avoid an injury/suspension crisis resulting in a collapse of Shrewsbury proportions.

But the facts are that the pre-season title favourites have finished second and the pre-season relegation favourites finished third. If there’s any justice, Paul Hirst will win L1 MotY. Mowbray doesn’t deserve the honour IMHO but I’d be very disappointed if we had already helped the classless Paul Cook to win it to add insult to Rovers injury-hit, short-lived, title challenge.

I'm more bothered about Whelan's FUP support than the manager really. It would feel somewhat fitting to win the title over Wigan on that basis. Let me note Whelan looked perfectly healthy during his recent public appearance before anyone claims he's ill again.

Just now, Stuart said:

2 games, 2 defeats. It’s a cut throat business.

How many good games have you seen him play?

Are you including the defeat against Charlton along with an under 23s game? Hardly his fault , was it? So if we lose against Oxford we need to sell all players involved in those 2 defeats, going off your "2 strikes" policy? 

I watched the game in the Checktrade earlier in the season, he look solid enough from what I saw. I couldn't say he stood out for any mistakes. 

• Backroom
Just now, Vinjay17 said:

I'm more bothered about Whelan's FUP support than the manager really. It would feel somewhat fitting to win the title over Wigan on that basis. Let me note Whelan looked perfectly healthy during his recent public appearance before anyone claims he's ill again.

I hope he’s healthier than your obsession with him is!

8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't actively twitter, more of passive user of the twitter machine. I leave the tweeting to the twitteratti 

I only look if there is a link on here! Usually can't load it on my phone.

Joined Facebook though earlier this year just for Rovers and Town links which are good. Pics, video and such.

Some of the Rovers fan sites on Facebook have bigger knobs than on here! ;) Makes us look normal :)

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

I only look if there is a link on here! Usually can't load it on my phone.

Joined Facebook though earlier this year just for Rovers and Town links which are good. Pics, video and such.

Some of the Rovers fan sites on Facebook have bigger knobs than on here! ;) Makes us look normal :)

In fairness the official Rovers social media has really come on this season. They are promising more to come, so I am looking forward to that. 

Ya, some of the stuff I read on those groups is downright crazy, but that's the interweb I suppose 

Archived