BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] WBA

44 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

The end justifies the means with McCarthy. I find it astounding that anyone wouldn't want a manager with so much success at Championship level anywhere near their club tbh.

Not to mention he’s never had a “penny” to spend really.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we look at the Championship this year it is the tried and tested managers winning the day. Warnock at Cardiff, Bruce at Villa, Jokanovic at Fulham, Rowett at Derby, Pulis at Boro - all experienced managers who have been successful elsewhere in recent years. The only exception really is Santo at Wolves but they are exceptional circumstances with an exceptional budget and squad.

There seems to be this obsession with gambling on some up and coming coach or foreigner rather than just going for the obvious and sensible option because there's a perception it is 'boring' or backward looking. The successes of Wagner at Huddersfield and Carvalhal at Swansea and Sheff Wednesday.

In the Championship it is all about know how and nous.

We're guilty of the same. When Kean cleared off we could have had our pick of Warnock, McCarthy or Billy Davies - seasoned promotion experts in the Championship - and ignored them all - and I recall numerous fans on here strongly against those candidates as they were 'boring'. There were even some against Warnock coming here last summer because of his age yet again he's proven he's the best in the business.

Peripheral issues like how a manager appears, dresses, speaks in the press or perceived style of play are irrelevant. All that matters is winning games and trying to get promoted and the Bruce, Warnock, McCarthys of the world have shown they know what it is all about.

• Moderation Lead
24 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

McCarthy's reaction towards the Ipswich fans after a goal

https://www.facebook.com/groups/702046296583427/permalink/1734581296663250/

Let’s not pretend the Ipswich fans have been angelic. I’d wager they’ve given as good as they’ve received. I’m sure DE can advise better. 

Remember, with a manager, you aren’t after a future son in law, you want someone who wins games and gets promoted. McCarthy has done that time and again at that level.

• Backroom
Just now, K-Hod said:

Let’s not pretend the Ipswich fans have been angelic. I’d wager they’ve given as good as they’ve received. I’m sure DE can advise better. 

Remember, with a manager, you aren’t after a future son in law, you want someone who wins games and gets promoted. McCarthy has done that time and again at that level.

There's been simmering discontent for a good year now, mainly just boos at HT/FT, but it started getting nasty around Christmas time. Fans really laying into Mick during matches, the team starting to get rattled as they thought they were doing okay (and considering their talent and abilities, they were). McCarthy claimed that his celebration when Ipswich scored against Norwich (Chaddy's clip) wasn't aimed at the Ipswich fans but... yeah, it was. Can't really condone that but a significant section of the Ipswich fans had been goading him for a long time and eventually got him to crack. From there the damage was irreparable and I think that was when Mick realised he was done. 

Much like with Kean and Venky's, McCarthy has been taking the abuse because he's been the only part of the "regime" visible every week. Unlike Kean, however, the fans' scorn towards the manager is not justified here. Evans has given Mick the task of keeping a poor team in the Championship whilst selling any decent player and having a tiny percentage of that reinvested into the playing squad. The inevitable result of that is almost always shit football. We saw the same thing here with Allardyce when the Trust withdrew funding. You end up with technically limited players who, under the right manager, will work hard and grind out wins. It's not entertaining but it gets results - and let's remember that football is a sport, first and foremost, not a performance as Sky have brainwashed modern fans to believe.

All that said, I can understand why Ipswich fans are frustrated. It goes way beyond just this season. It's frustration from decades of underachievement, underinvestment and crippling boredom. They've had something like 17 seasons in the Championship and almost all of them have been boring, mid-table seasons, with a couple of brief playoff attempts and one relegation battle thrown in. Meanwhile ticket prices rise and rise and rise. The anger is understandable even if it's being misdirected towards Mick. Town fans are just very, very bored of being a nothing team, there to make up the numbers year after year. Mick's football epitomises that in a lot of ways, which has led to the disenchantment and outright resentment between the manager and the fans.

3 hours ago, K-Hod said:

I dont want McCarthy anywhere near Rovers. 

His tactics/style of play arent what I want at Ewood. His dull football isnt what I want here. Thats my view

3 hours ago, DE. said:

There's been simmering discontent for a good year now, mainly just boos at HT/FT, but it started getting nasty around Christmas time. Fans really laying into Mick during matches, the team starting to get rattled as they thought they were doing okay (and considering their talent and abilities, they were). McCarthy claimed that his celebration when Ipswich scored against Norwich (Chaddy's clip) wasn't aimed at the Ipswich fans but... yeah, it was. Can't really condone that but a significant section of the Ipswich fans had been goading him for a long time and eventually got him to crack. From there the damage was irreparable and I think that was when Mick realised he was done. 

Much like with Kean and Venky's, McCarthy has been taking the abuse because he's been the only part of the "regime" visible every week. Unlike Kean, however, the fans' scorn towards the manager is not justified here. Evans has given Mick the task of keeping a poor team in the Championship whilst selling any decent player and having a tiny percentage of that reinvested into the playing squad. The inevitable result of that is almost always shit football. We saw the same thing here with Allardyce when the Trust withdrew funding. You end up with technically limited players who, under the right manager, will work hard and grind out wins. It's not entertaining but it gets results - and let's remember that football is a sport, first and foremost, not a performance as Sky have brainwashed modern fans to believe.

All that said, I can understand why Ipswich fans are frustrated. It goes way beyond just this season. It's frustration from decades of underachievement, underinvestment and crippling boredom. They've had something like 17 seasons in the Championship and almost all of them have been boring, mid-table seasons, with a couple of brief playoff attempts and one relegation battle thrown in. Meanwhile ticket prices rise and rise and rise. The anger is understandable even if it's being misdirected towards Mick. Town fans are just very, very bored of being a nothing team, there to make up the numbers year after year. Mick's football epitomises that in a lot of ways, which has led to the disenchantment and outright resentment between the manager and the fans.

What did think of McCarthy and his style/tactics?

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

His tactics/style of play arent what I want at Ewood. His dull football isnt what I want here. Thats my view

1992-93 Championship season - Millwall - 7th place

1993-94 Championship season - Millwall - 3rd place - play offs

2003-04 Championship season - Sunderland - 3rd place  - play-offs

2004-05 Championship season - Sunderland - 1st place on 94 points -league winners

2006-07 Championship season - Wolves - 5th place  -play-offs 

2007-08 Championship season - Wolves - 7th place - missed out on play offs on goal difference

2008-09 Championship season - Wolves - 1st place on 90 points - league winners

2014-15 Championship season - Ipswich - 6th place - play-offs

2015-16 Championship season - Ipswich - 7th place

I think his style/tactics are pretty effective at getting the job done. Don't think many Sunderland or Wolves fans were complaining on their way to the Premier League.

• Backroom
8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

As the squad quality has decreased the style of football has gotten progressively worse. Similar to how it was with Bowyer here - as our better players were sold, the football got worse, to the point where we were relying on the likes of Chris Brown and Fode Koita to score our goals. Unlike Bowyer, however, McCarthy has been able to handle player departures and keep Ipswich competitive. In GB's defence McCarthy has a hell of a lot more experience as a first team manager. 

Regardless, Ipswich's football during the season they finished 6th wasn't being criticised by anybody. Whether it's because it has become that much worse or whether it's just because Ipswich were winning more than they were losing is open to debate. I don't go to Portman Road regularly so I'm mostly going off what I'm told by various long-suffering Ipswich supporters. What I will say is that my couple of dozen or so visits in the last few years have seen the experience become less and less entertaining, to the point where I probably wouldn't accept a ticket even if it was free. It's become that bad. But then, Ipswich have poor players. That's the price paid when an owner steadfastly refuses to invest and the youth prospects just aren't up to the task. 

I think Mick will go somewhere else and be successful - but his time was up at Ipswich. It's become a no-win situation for all concerned.

8 minutes ago, JHRover said:

2004-05 Championship season - Sunderland - 1st place on 94 points -league winners

2007-08 Championship season - Wolves - 7th place - missed out on play offs on goal difference

I think his style/tactics are pretty effective at getting the job done. Don't think many Sunderland or Wolves fans were complaining on their way to the Premier League.

Excellent record in the Championship - just what we will need (hopefully) next season. McCarthy was my preferred choice before Kean turned up..

Would be interested to see Mowbray's record in the Championship but my betting it isn't as impressive.

If Ipswich are proposing a manager swap would they please contact the Ewood managerment after the season has ended.

Aye thenk you

53 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Like I said before I wouldnt take him here. His tactics/style of play isnt what I want here. Thats my opinion you have different one thats fine. 

35 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Excellent record in the Championship - just what we will need (hopefully) next season. McCarthy was my preferred choice before Kean turned up..

Would be interested to see Mowbray's record in the Championship but my betting it isn't as impressive.

If Ipswich are proposing a manager swap would they please contact the Ewood managerment after the season has ended.

Aye thenk you

I wouldnt swap Mowbray for McCarthy one bit. 

Mowbray has rebuild a football club players wise and fans enjoying their team and games

• Moderation Lead
9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Like I said before I wouldnt take him here. His tactics/style of play isnt what I want here. Thats my opinion you have different one thats fine. 

Mowbray has rebuild a football club players wise and fans enjoying their team and games

Meanwhile I'm sure that those Sunderland and Wolves fans had a terrible time when their team were winning every week....

If Mowbray did leave, we should be all over McCarthy with a record like that.

9 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Aye thenk you

He was my choice after Kean left. We would have definitely gone up 

Its not opinion that his record in the Championship is one of the strongest around. Its fact. Over 20 years and 4 clubs he's had 2 title wins, 2 promotions, 4 play-offs and 2 seventh placed finishes. Not many, if any, can boast a better record. It is there in black and white, no arguments to be had.

It is your opinion that his style of football is so bad that all his impressive track record should be ignored and he shouldn't be employed. I disagree.

I haven't suggested replacing Mowbray with him. I've accepted that Mowbray, so far this season, has done a good job and deserves the chance to get us up and providing he achieves that deserves the chance, if he wants it, of re-establishing us in the Championship. That doesn't make McCarthy a bad manager and if we were to need a new manager in the Championship we should be all over him.

I wouldnt because im happy with Mowbray, not sure many are saying that, but i appreciate how good a job McCarthy has done and Im unsure as to where all of these footballing principles have come from?

Hes got a stellar CV, yet you are using an understably frustrated response to loads of persistent stick from his own fans, and style of play despite a tiny budget, overachieving in the main year on year.

Find @DE. and his posts very interesting as someone much more in the know than you or I it seems. Didnt realise that fans had beef with the owners so maybe hes just a public scapegoat. 

44 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I wouldnt because im happy with Mowbray, not sure many are saying that, but i appreciate how good a job McCarthy has done and Im unsure as to where all of these footballing principles have come from?

Hes got a stellar CV, yet you are using an understably frustrated response to loads of persistent stick from his own fans, and style of play despite a tiny budget, overachieving in the main year on year.

Find @DE. and his posts very interesting as someone much more in the know than you or I it seems. Didnt realise that fans had beef with the owners so maybe hes just a public scapegoat

Pretty much it. He is enough of a man to stand there and take it without repeatedly pointing out the lack of funding. Don't be surprised to see them struggle next season ,with Mick making the play-offs with his new club

He was interviewed on Irish radio a few months ago and it was very apparent he was drained from the whole Ipswich thing. He was settled, but drained at lack of backing and fan unhappiness. 

@Chaddy thinks they have a great squad though and Micks style was holding them back, so predict a promotion push next season :)  

• Backroom

Mick is definitely playing the scapegoat role, but he's also incredibly blunt and straight talking. I think the reason he avoids talking about lack of funding is because Evans has been honest with him about the funds available each year and Mick has continued to do the job in full knowledge of the financial situation. It wouldn't make much sense for him to complain about it as I don't think Evans has ever told Mick he's going to have a lot to spend. The job criteria has always been the same and Mick has agreed to work with that criteria. 

A few quotes from Mick regarding the fans which I think are brilliant, but if you were a supporter would probably wind you up (for reasons beyond my understanding multiple quotes truncate so you have to click the arrow next to "quote" to see them all):

"Listen, unless somebody decides otherwise, you've got me, boring old big nose @#/?ing fart with shite football until May. Unless somebody decides different." 

McCarthy also criticised fans who had been calling for Celina to be brought on earlier in the game, saying: "I don't give a shite about that, by the way. He didn't go on because of that, let me just clear that up.

"In fact, there's more chance of him not going on when they start telling me what to do. And yes, I am a belligerent @#/?. Let's just clear that up."

Journalist: Do you think you've had the respect you deserve, should you have banked more 2012/13 and the year you got town into the play-offs?

Mick McCarthy: I don't know you'd have to ask the numbskulls who have been giving me the abuse, because I think that's what they are to be quite honest... It's not everybody, that comment is for the people who have been doing it and actually it has been, I think, ruining games at Portman Road and making it hard for the players to play.

‘I get sick to death,’ the 57-year-old said. ‘We play one bad half and we’re all s*** and we can’t play. The manager doesn’t care. Get somebody who cares.

‘I’m a boring c***, somebody called me last week. I wish they would call it to my face on my own because his pint of lager he would have been wearing it.

‘I heard the comments and let me tell you if that’s what they think about me and my team then they are sadly mistaken. I’m not having that.

‘It really does hurt me. Up and down like a bloody fiddlers elbow. I’m alright one week but I’m not the next.’

Having praised his players for their performance in the victory at Portman Road, which lifted them up to seventh place in the Championship, he made it clear he remembers when people were calling for him to be sacked by the club.

Standing up at the end of his press conference, he said: “Always remember… ‘Mick McCarthy your football is s***e’, ‘Mick McCarthy get out of our club’, ‘Mick McCarthy you’re a boring b*****d'
“Always remember… because I do.”

6 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Meanwhile I'm sure that those Sunderland and Wolves fans had a terrible time when their team were winning every week....

If Mowbray did leave, we should be all over McCarthy with a record like that.

well I guess you would to ask the fans of those clubs wont you? 

Would Wolves fans swap this season promotion chase for a McCarthy promotion season with them even I accept it was different squad, finances and owners. 

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

Its not opinion that his record in the Championship is one of the strongest around. Its fact. Over 20 years and 4 clubs he's had 2 title wins, 2 promotions, 4 play-offs and 2 seventh placed finishes. Not many, if any, can boast a better record. It is there in black and white, no arguments to be had.

It is your opinion that his style of football is so bad that all his impressive track record should be ignored and he shouldn't be employed. I disagree.

I haven't suggested replacing Mowbray with him. I've accepted that Mowbray, so far this season, has done a good job and deserves the chance to get us up and providing he achieves that deserves the chance, if he wants it, of re-establishing us in the Championship. That doesn't make McCarthy a bad manager and if we were to need a new manager in the Championship we should be all over him.

we have to agree to disagree then JHRover sadly. 

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Find @DE. and his posts very interesting as someone much more in the know than you or I it seems. Didnt realise that fans had beef with the owners so maybe hes just a public scapegoat. 

Well roversfan99 I did know about the owner lack of investment but You can still play good football on limited budget. But he did spend 3 million this season which is more than he had since going there. I am right to think he was told about the budget before he took the job there. 

I have footballing principles and I want to see good football even tho I accept that this isn't possible in every game as you might have change tactics for certain games against quality opposition

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

@Chaddy thinks they have a great squad though and Micks style was holding them back, so predict a promotion push next season :)  

where did I say they had a great squad? another lie again by a poster? 

I said good squad but if you can find where I great squad I will review my previous comment

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Would Wolves fans swap this season promotion chase for a McCarthy promotion season with them even I accept it was different squad, finances and owners. 

Well roversfan99 I did know about the owner lack of investment but You can still play good football on limited budget. But he did spend 3 million this season which is more than he had since going there. I am right to think he was told about the budget before he took the job there. 

I have footballing principles and I want to see good football even tho I accept that this isn't possible in every game as you might have change tactics for certain games against quality opposition

I have footballing principles too. I want to win and get promoted and couldn't give two hoots on what tactics the manager uses to deliver it, or what people's perceptions are. If football was a popularity contest or awards were given out for pretty football then Warnock, Bruce, McCarthy and Davies wouldn't have had upteen promotions and playoff campaigns over the last 20 years.

Who in the Championship this season has played 'good football' and has been successful? Wolves with their £50 million squad? Fulham with their huge budget? If you think the likes of Cardiff or Villa are using swashbuckling football en route to promotion you're mistaken.

If I remember correctly you are or were a big fan of Gary Rowett, and you wanted him as Rovers manager previously. Have you watched Derby/Birmingham play under him? Some of the most negative football you'll ever see. Doesn't bother me because he gets results, but I find it odd that you're so staunchly against McCarthy purely on his style of play at Ipswich yet others escape that criticism.

29 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I have footballing principles too. I want to win and get promoted and couldn't give two hoots on what tactics the manager uses to deliver it, or what people's perceptions are. If football was a popularity contest or awards were given out for pretty football then Warnock, Bruce, McCarthy and Davies wouldn't have had upteen promotions and playoff campaigns over the last 20 years.

Who in the Championship this season has played 'good football' and has been successful? Wolves with their £50 million squad? Fulham with their huge budget? If you think the likes of Cardiff or Villa are using swashbuckling football en route to promotion you're mistaken.

If I remember correctly you are or were a big fan of Gary Rowett, and you wanted him as Rovers manager previously. Have you watched Derby/Birmingham play under him? Some of the most negative football you'll ever see. Doesn't bother me because he gets results, but I find it odd that you're so staunchly against McCarthy purely on his style of play at Ipswich yet others escape that criticism.

I didnt including winning as that what we all want. 

I would say Fulham are the best attacking footballing team in league. 

I was a fan of Rowett at Birmingham. Watching him at Derby I feel he could play abit more attacking with their attacking players. 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

where did I say they had a great squad? another lie again by a poster? 

I said good squad but if you can find where I great squad I will review my previous comment

Surely you can see that youve practically explained why your comparison of McCarthy and now at Wolves is null and void, they have by far the biggest budget and an agent handing them top class Portugese players.

I agree that you can sometimes play football on a low budget, but in the main surely you agree that theres a strong correlation between attractive football and money spent. If youve got a squad mainly of cobbled together free journeymen, then its much more difficult to get them playing passing football than a Wolves who have spent multi millions on top quality players. Surely you appreciate that?

Look at the top 2, they couldnt play more contrasting styles, but Warnock has far less money and resources.

McCarthys record of results at this level is superb, as has been showed. To expect him to play football like what Wolves and Fulham play is totally unrealistic with the money he has.

And if you think that the comments hes made are anything but fair in response to scathing criticism of someone taking the brunt of the fans frustration about the owners, then thats your call.

20 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Surely you can see that youve practically explained why your comparison of McCarthy and now at Wolves is null and void, they have by far the biggest budget and an agent handing them top class Portugese players.

I agree that you can sometimes play football on a low budget, but in the main surely you agree that theres a strong correlation between attractive football and money spent. If youve got a squad mainly of cobbled together free journeymen, then its much more difficult to get them playing passing football than a Wolves who have spent multi millions on top quality players. Surely you appreciate that?

Look at the top 2, they couldnt play more contrasting styles, but Warnock has far less money and resources.

McCarthys record of results at this level is superb, as has been showed. To expect him to play football like what Wolves and Fulham play is totally unrealistic with the money he has.

And if you think that the comments hes made are anything but fair in response to scathing criticism of someone taking the brunt of the fans frustration about the owners, then thats your call.

you can play good football look at Coleman at Stanley who has one of the lower budget in the league but are top of league 2, poor pitch and training facilities compare to McCarthy at Ipswich. 

disagree on your 1st pointy as both are promotion seasons. so fair to compare. 

39 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

you can play good football look at Coleman at Stanley who has one of the lower budget in the league but are top of league 2, poor pitch and training facilities compare to McCarthy at Ipswich. 

disagree on your 1st pointy as both are promotion seasons. so fair to compare. 

I both acknowledged your first point then went on to state that theres a strong correlation between budget and quality of football. Obviously if that was 100% direct correlation then football would become pointless.

You cant compare a championship and league 2 budget.

Not at all. McCarthy did his on a much more meagre budget in comparison, hence having to do it slightly more structured and regimented. 

Archived