BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] WBA

6 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

A fan on facebook claimed Williams single handedly destroyed Rovers. I had to correct him and mention Anderson.

That Fb group makes this place look like a Mensa forum.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

One of Pardews failings is his ego and complete lack of humility. I came across him several times and he is so aloof. Also I have spoken to several of his ex players and he very quickly turned them off with his methods.

That said he is probably wealthy beyond his wildest dreams and therein lies a massive problem with professional football.

Pardew seems to blow hot and cold in his jobs. One extreme or the other. One job he's a success, the next a failure, one minute he has his club on really good runs and the next it all falls apart.

Did well with Reading. Did well with West Ham to begin with, got them promoted, kept them up, reached the cup final where they were unlucky to lose, but then it all unravelled and he left them bottom of the league. He then had a poor spell at Charlton in some ways similar to WBA where they were sinking when he arrived and made no positive impact. Newcastle he exceeded expectations, LMA manager of the year etc. Palace he did well to begin with, kept them up, cup final, but then went on one of his long winless runs and gets the sack. Despite that his win percentage there is still over 40% so decent. WBA a disaster but how much blame he should have for that I'm not sure. They couldn't buy a win under Pulis and it can't have been easy taking over a team coached on Pulis methods and trying to change that whilst keeping a team up.

• Backroom

Pardew takes plenty of the blame for their form - and was a terrible replacement for Pulis, who probably would have kept them up - but the way that article completely exonerates the players is nonsense. Pardew's overall win % across his career is nowhere near as low on average as it has been at WBA, so clearly there is something else beyond his methods that is a problem there. If they keep the nucleus of that squad together I can see them struggling again in the Championship next season. 

They need a pragmatic manager (Mick McCarthy?) and a group of players brought in who have something to prove. 

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That doesn't pull any punches !

Just the way I like it. You would think Williams would have learned his lesson and gone out of his way to assess people's personality deficiencies. Of course he kept Pulis around for a while and he's no saint after what he did to Palace. Type of thing Kean or Anderson would do. I even saw a claim somewhere Pulis made a joke about Scally's son (another died around 2003) who died in the early 90's. Not entirely sure its true as Scally probably would have mentioned it. Scally may have a reputation for running his mouth but calling someone "evil" is very strong.

I see Williams was criticised for using an overdraft facility. Of course he had to resort to that here because of the WFIT. Surely though Lai would have made that decision?  

Looking like no permanent manager until the summer..

Names mention so far are 

Michael Appleton

Dean Smith

Nigel Pearson

Graham Potter.

McCarthy isnt on the list. Ex Wolves. The fans would go mad if appoint imo and his style/tactics arent what fans after Pulis/Pardew farce

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

McCarthy isnt on the list. Ex Wolves. The fans would go mad if appoint imo and his style/tactics arent what fans after Pulis/Pardew farce

Isn't on what list? Your list? Some journalist's list? Nixon's list?

Chances are not even the West Brom owner knows who is on the list yet. People linking Appleton, Pearson and Potter just because they have past links to the club and Smith because he's from that area.

McCarthy's experience and track record in the Championship is up there with anyone's. Won the league with Sunderland and Wolves, got Ipswich to the play-offs. West Brom would be daft not to consider him. If he got them winning and in with a chance of promotion their fans would quickly overlook his Wolves background, just like Villa fans ignore Bruce's Birmingham history because they know he's one of the best around for getting promoted.

West Brom fans had 2 years of Pulis' football surviving in the Premier League. Doubt they'll be bothered by McCarthy if they're winning games and getting promoted. Ipswich fans have only started to moan after being mid-table for the last 2 seasons.

59 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Looking like no permanent manager until the summer..

Names mention so far are 

Michael Appleton

Dean Smith

Nigel Pearson

Graham Potter.

Appleton would be a strange appointment.

@JHRover is right, such a "list" wont exist yet.

Pardew is a results based failure, nothing to do with his style of play.

Regarding the links with rivals, it isnt cut and dry like that. If Dyche, Tarkowski, Defour, Barnes, Cork etc fancy a spell at Ewood they are welcome to.

If I supported a club that had won 3 league games all season and was looking for its 3rd manager during that time whilst preparing for life in the Championship I'd much sooner appoint a proven Championship manager like a Warnock, Bruce or McCarthy than gamble on someone like Appleton or Potter just because they used to play for the club. I think I'd be more concerned about stabilising the club and having the best chance of promotion next season than worrying about whether one strong contender for the job was previously successful at getting a nearby rival promoted.

When we finally got rid of Kean we had a chance to do the above and wasted it by appointing popular ex-players or highly rated coaches rather than immediately appointing Warnock or McCarthy when they were available.

West Brom could easily go the same way as us if rumours about their finances are accurate and gambling next season on a rookie would be very risky.

Pearson would be a decent shout but he's in Belgium and is off his rocker.

McCarthy might have seen better days. I know Ipswich cut costs during his time (Evans did spend under previous managers and I can see why he cutback in many ways especially with FUP) but the fans there seem exhausted. I guess so because they are pretty boring having been in same League for 16 years now. Granted it could be worse as Rovers know but that's not the way people ought to judge. Venkys cutback too of course but they didn't have a damn clue what they were doing before that. Evans might have picked the wrong managers but he didn't tear the whole club apart. Of course there's FUP as well so maybe that was a factor albeit without any transfer ban. 

McCarthy could be seen as a step up on Mowbray (given he's had more than one promotion) but he seems to have lost his way. Nothing at Ipswich really suggests he should be given a job with a club coming down from the top flight. Assuming that is WBA want to make a go at promotion and won't just be budgeting for survival. Short has lost interest with Sunderland but maybe Lai will react differently. Voldemort would be strange though he's only been sacked once (at Rovers) but Oxford aren't WBA and that was his last managerial job. They seemed happy enough with him (far as I know) but he left. I think he might have been caretaker at Leicester briefly but WBA shouldn't look at that. Maybe a club in the lower reaches of the Championship could gamble on Voldemort (not that I would) but WBA definitely shouldn't. The Scottish Record also claimed Coyle was a candidate (:lol:) but that's not true. Some might say he contacted a journo friend to put his name out there but I asked Nixon and he said it isn't true. 

Others mentioned by Scottish Record were Silva (if they want someone as arrogant as Pardew) and the Northern Ireland manager Michael O'Neill. I don't know much about O'Neill in terms of personality, etc but he might be worth interviewing at least. Especially if there isn't someone obvious in mind. 

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Isn't on what list? Your list? Some journalist's list? Nixon's list?

Chances are not even the West Brom owner knows who is on the list yet. People linking Appleton, Pearson and Potter just because they have past links to the club and Smith because he's from that area.

McCarthy's experience and track record in the Championship is up there with anyone's. Won the league with Sunderland and Wolves, got Ipswich to the play-offs. West Brom would be daft not to consider him. If he got them winning and in with a chance of promotion their fans would quickly overlook his Wolves background, just like Villa fans ignore Bruce's Birmingham history because they know he's one of the best around for getting promoted.

West Brom fans had 2 years of Pulis' football surviving in the Premier League. Doubt they'll be bothered by McCarthy if they're winning games and getting promoted. Ipswich fans have only started to moan after being mid-table for the last 2 seasons.

Local journalist and national journalists who cover WBA. Plus I speak some WBA fans on social media. 

The 4 managers/names I have mention are the ones that was being linked before Pardew sacking and after. 

McCarthy isn't the type of manager that the fans want and the football they want. 

I wouldn't McCarthy as manager here because of the style of play/tactics and his antics towards some fans has been unacceptable. 

Some Villa fans never ignore Bruce links to Birmingham and will use that as a stick to hit with if they don't go up

51 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Appleton would be a strange appointment.

@JHRover is right, such a "list" wont exist yet.

Pardew is a results based failure, nothing to do with his style of play.

Regarding the links with rivals, it isnt cut and dry like that. If Dyche, Tarkowski, Defour, Barnes, Cork etc fancy a spell at Ewood they are welcome to.

I disagree on Appleton being a strange appointment. He did a good job at Oxford before going to be number 2 at Leicester. He thought it would be good opportunity to be involved to Premier League players and working at that level. 

Pardew wanted to play Attacking football as he said his 1st press conference as WBA manager but the players couldn't do this after playing Pulis way for so long. Pulis was there for a season too long and it has cost them their PL future with Pardew. You can debate this me but I would suggest you both speak to WBA fans 1st and understand their views on Pulis(including his tactics, style and attitude), Pardew and the future appointment of a new manager

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Local journalist and national journalists who cover WBA. Plus I speak some WBA fans on social media. 

The 4 managers/names I have mention are the ones that was being linked before Pardew sacking and after. 

McCarthy isn't the type of manager that the fans want and the football they want. 

I wouldn't McCarthy as manager here because of the style of play/tactics and his antics towards some fans has been unacceptable. 

Some Villa fans never ignore Bruce links to Birmingham and will use that as a stick to hit with if they don't go up

I disagree on Appleton being a strange appointment. He did a good job at Oxford before going to be number 2 at Leicester. He thought it would be good opportunity to be involved to Premier League players and working at that level. 

Pardew wanted to play Attacking football as he said his 1st press conference as WBA manager but the players couldn't do this after playing Pulis way for so long. Pulis was there for a season too long and it has cost them their PL future with Pardew. You can debate this me but I would suggest you both speak to WBA fans 1st and understand their views on Pulis(including his tactics, style and attitude), Pardew and the future appointment of a new manager

This the same West brom who have had Megson and Pulis as managers, mm ok Chaddy 

You have already shown that apart from reading or talking to Ipswich fans, you have no understanding of the type of football McCarthy plays or has played. You don't win the Championship 3 times playing bad football. You also said he had a good squad at Ipswich which basically nullified your argument. 

As for his "antics" towards fans, well they clearly have morons who don't realise how good they had it. Simple as this, if Ipswich spend the same as they have other summers again this summer, they will struggle unless they make an inspired appointment. I wouldn't be surprised if they went for Hurst actually, as he has shown what he can do with a small budget.   

On WBA, Appleton would be a strange appointment. You said you disagree about that because he did well at Oxford. Really? Are you actually serious? If I was them I would want the Fulham manager if they end up missing out in the play offs 

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I always think it is odd when a manager who is doing well and is popular at a club choses to give that up to be a number 2. Appleton had won promotion with Oxford and it was the first job he'd had where he'd got good results, then chose to leave to be Leicester's assistant manager. That tells me he's either not too fussed about being the boss or that the cash on offer to move to Leicester was a big motive for him.

Certainly is odd given his only experience in the Championship were two short and poor spells at Pompey and Rovers. More relevant to look at those two clubs and level they were at than what he did in the 4th division with Oxford.

He's only being linked to WBA because he used to work for them. Graham Potter has done well in Sweden for 7 years but its only since they beat Arsenal a couple of months ago that he's been linked to jobs here.

I'd welcome McCarthy at Rovers with open arms because I think with any sort of reasonable budget he'd get any club into play-off contention.

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Suppose he did well at Oxford, might be blinded by the torturous spell he had at Rovers where we continued to lose and he threw away a chance to go to Wembley. Find it ironic that you are promoting the need for attractive football regarding McCarthy considering the rubbish we had on show when Appleton was manager.

Ipswich fans cant continue to give McCarthy dogs abuse and not expect a bit back. If thats what you mean by antics?

End of the day, Villa fans have been behind Bruce, and whys that, because they are winning. Thats what its all about.

Never been a fan of Pardew as a manager to be honest.

You're talking to someone who thinks Harry Kewell's a great guy (McCarthy has a family Chaddy!) so may as well throw logic out the window. McCarthy gets called dour, etc but I like him to an extent. I guess you could say his background is like Mowbray's (Yorkshire and all) but he has more humour and dry wit. He's also more blunt but he isn't egotistical. Certainly one of his reputations is honesty which is something associated with Mowbray too. I can however see Ipswich fans frustration especially because they have been boring for so long.

• Backroom

You have to factor in ticket prices at Ipswich as well. They pay a lot down here and as ticket prices have increased the squad and football has worsened. McCarthy has tried to defend Marcus Evans and deflect blame which has caused some resentment beyond just the poor standard of football. That being said, the proper fallout between McCarthy and the Northstanders didn't start until a few months ago. It's gotten progressively worse to the point where he's been left with no choice but to go. 

Ultimately Ipswich now have a good chance of finding themselves playing League 1 football in the 19/20 season. Their next appointment is a huge one. 

If WBA were smart they'd get Mick in ASAP. He'd do well there, and if WBA were winning matches nobody would care about his past. Besides of which, any club that lets the fans decide who manages the team is destined for failure. 

I have a sneaky suspicion Mick could actually end up at Norwich. Can't see Farke being there next season, and if Mick's enjoying being in East Anglia it's not too far up the road. A good chance to stick it to the Ipswich fans who forced him out, too.

47 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

This the same West brom who have had Megson and Pulis as managers, mm ok Chaddy 

You have already shown that apart from reading or talking to Ipswich fans, you have no understanding of the type of football McCarthy plays or has played. You don't win the Championship 3 times playing bad football. You also said he had a good squad at Ipswich which basically nullified your argument. 

As for his "antics" towards fans, well they clearly have morons who don't realise how good they had it. Simple as this, if Ipswich spend the same as they have other summers again this summer, they will struggle unless they make an inspired appointment. I wouldn't be surprised if they went for Hurst actually, as he has shown what he can do with a small budget.   

On WBA, Appleton would be a strange appointment. You said you disagree about that because he did well at Oxford. Really? Are you actually serious? If I was them I would want the Fulham manager if they end up missing out in the play offs 

Were any fans happy with Megson or Pulis as manager

I clearly understand McCarthy style of football. Boring and dull hoofball. 

34 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I always think it is odd when a manager who is doing well and is popular at a club choses to give that up to be a number 2. Appleton had won promotion with Oxford and it was the first job he'd had where he'd got good results, then chose to leave to be Leicester's assistant manager. That tells me he's either not too fussed about being the boss or that the cash on offer to move to Leicester was a big motive for him.

Certainly is odd given his only experience in the Championship were two short and poor spells at Pompey and Rovers. More relevant to look at those two clubs and level they were at than what he did in the 4th division with Oxford.

He's only being linked to WBA because he used to work for them. Graham Potter has done well in Sweden for 7 years but its only since they beat Arsenal a couple of months ago that he's been linked to jobs here.

I'd welcome McCarthy at Rovers with open arms because I think with any sort of reasonable budget he'd get any club into play-off contention.

I deffo wouldnt want McCarthy anywhere Rovers or Ewood Park. Dont want hoofball here..

32 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Suppose he did well at Oxford, might be blinded by the torturous spell he had at Rovers where we continued to lose and he threw away a chance to go to Wembley. Find it ironic that you are promoting the need for attractive football regarding McCarthy considering the rubbish we had on show when Appleton was manager.

Ipswich fans cant continue to give McCarthy dogs abuse and not expect a bit back. If thats what you mean by antics?

End of the day, Villa fans have been behind Bruce, and whys that, because they are winning. Thats what its all about.

Never been a fan of Pardew as a manager to be honest.

How long was Appleton here about 2 months compare to McCarthy 6 years in charge?

So I guess none of 3 of you have taken the time to speak to WBA fans who can tell you why they want rid of Pulis and who they want as next manager 

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Were any fans happy with Megson or Pulis as manager

I clearly understand McCarthy style of football. Boring and dull hoofball. 

I deffo wouldnt want McCarthy anywhere Rovers or Ewood Park. Dont want hoofball here..

How long was Appleton here about 2 months compare to McCarthy 6 years in charge?

So I guess none of 3 of you have taken the time to speak to WBA fans who can tell you why they want rid of Pulis and who they want as next manager 

No Chaddy, we don't have the time to speak to them. Do you find cold calling people from the phone book looking for info a good method personally? 

On McCarthy you said you watched Ipswich 3 times in the last 3 years and therefore have a deep understanding of his style of football. You also said Ipswich have good players and Mccarthy was underachieving. Very bizzare combination of comments to be honest 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No Chaddy, we don't have the time to speak to them. Do find cold call people from the phone book looking for info a good method personally? 

On McCarthy you said you watched Ipswich 3 times in the last 3 years and therefore have a deep understanding of his style of football. You also said Ipswich have good players and Mccarthy was underachieving. Very bizzare combination of comments to be honest 

I talk to them through social media 

And no I didnt say Ive only seen that 3 times, I said that Ive seen them for past 3 years. 

So dont keep making stuff your argument about McCarthy

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I talk to them through social media 

And no I didnt say Ive only seen that 3 times, I said that Ive seen them for past 3 years. 

So dont keep making stuff your argument about McCarthy

How many times have Ipswich been on tv the last 3 seasons? Once, twice a year max? So, as I said, you saw them around 3 times, at most. Unless you go and watch them play live?? 

McCarthy is not a long ball or hoof ball or anything that you are claiming. His teams try and play football. You are wrong saying they dont 

Do you stand by the statement that he under achieved with that squad? 

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

How many times have Ipswich been on tv the last 3 seasons? Once, twice a year max? So, as I said, you saw them around 3 times, at most. Unless you go and watch them play live?? 

McCarthy is not a long ball or hoof ball or anything that you are claiming. His teams try and play football. You are wrong saying they dont 

Do you stand by the statement that he under achieved with that squad? 

Well Ive seen live at Ewood park each season we were in championship. Plus when they been on TV plus a couple of away games Rovers played there. 

McCarthy team try to play football? No chance. He isnt a long ball manager. Ok mate. We have to agree to disagree. 

Deffo a manager I wouldnt want anywhere my club at all

Yes I stand by that Statement

• Moderation Lead

The end justifies the means with McCarthy. I find it astounding that anyone wouldn't want a manager with so much success at Championship level anywhere near their club tbh.

Archived