BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

8 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Difference is that Hughes was a brilliant player who adapted to a new midfield position late on, and Jerome is a journeyman striker. The only role I'd like him in is as a loan to cover Samuel's injury and to let Nuttall go to a 3rd division team to get games.

Tbh I still would prefer Sam Gallagher, but I suspect Southampton want too much of his 22,000 wages covered.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Cheers Bob. Did he speak to you much on the way up? ☺️

Not really Rev. He asked about any Rovers supporters message boards he should read. I coughed then put on The Best of Sabbat. Bloody awful journey all in all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

I wouldnt be in favour of Jerome. Not what we need imo. We have 3 strikers even if Nuttall is loan out. I would be looking at Carlton Morris from Norwich. Was on loan at Shrewsbury last season

Is he a large physically imposing type?

Still can’t believe we have dropped that kind of money on any player. The guy gets to learn his trade off Danny Graham, lucky boy.

Well done Tony and the Venkys.

This has been a superb run. Everything seems to be going well and all of a sudden we have a fine collection of young players, mostly English. Now Butterworth and Grayson are coming up too.

Just need the cherry on top by bringing in Harry Chapman, also on a loan to perm deal in Jan. Would need to be a cheap deal, which I think it would be given his contract status. Would like to see him commit to us long term, if the boy can stay healthy he will be a top player. Fits in well with the group, if Tony needs to use him as an impact sub that’s fine. 

If we have the cash a proper centre half wouldn’t go a miss. I’m a fan of the Rodwell signing but who knows at this stage. Downing scares me as 3rd choice right now, although I think Williams might get a look there if necessary.

Don’t fancy picking team on Sunday, good luck Tony.

Edited by Fraserkirky

7 hours ago, Nonnel40 said:

Is that 'IMO' Stuart?

Don't forget, GB had to carry Rhodes in his 11.. Quite a hinderence he never wanted..

Norwich finding out about that right now..

Didn’t see IMO in your post, so an odd come back.

Hinderance indeed. Some people don’t know when then they are well off.

Rhodes split opinion in the fan base. But there was no split in opinion of the management team back then. They watched him everyday and were astounded by his lack of ANY ability other than to find the net. Couldn’t pass, poor control, no strength, wasn’t quick. He is a proper old fashioned 2nd striker. In the 90’s he’d have probably played in the PL. But teams and managers expect much more from strikers these days. He has been found wanting in pretty much every club since Rovers. 

His overall presence in the team was seen as a hinderence for that period of time. That you had to play with 10 men and hope that he scored to reward the team.

• Like 7

His first season he kept us up on his own and masked Bowyer’s obvious failings.

The thousands of fans signing his name every week didn’t seem to mind.

Much of the bitterness stemmed from him being linked with moves away and ultimately leaving.

We would have been relegated under Bowyer without him.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Turkey's been a graveyard for quite a few British players. Not many have been real successes there.

Turkish football is close to the last place I'd want to be right now.

If anyone watches Turkish football games, do they still live televise the obligatory after match fight between owners, directors, officials and anyone else who wants to join in outside the dressing rooms? 

5 minutes ago, philipl said:

Turkish football is close to the last place I'd want to be right now.

If anyone watches Turkish football games, do they still live televise the obligatory after match fight between owners, directors, officials and anyone else who wants to join in outside the dressing rooms? 

Sounds great. Just what we need back here.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Weeks ago it didn't exist. Did anyone on this site predict we would spend £6 million on a 19 year old nobody had heard of a month ago ?

Didn't it? Is that an Alan Nixon theory? The manager has said all summer that funds were available. In fact the club said that some funds were left over from the January transfer window. They are hardly likely to tell us the amount. Whilst no one thought we'd spend 6million you posted that there was no cheque book at all.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, bob fleming said:

Didn't it? Is that an Alan Nixon theory? The manager has said all summer that funds were available. In fact the club said that some funds were left over from the January transfer window. They are hardly likely to tell us the amount. Whilst no one thought we'd spend 6million you posted that there was no cheque book at all.

Without giving any credence to the Nixon theory that the Chokers suddenly slaughtered millions more chickens I think there was a change of heart down the line regarding funding. We've gone from shopping in Poundland to Marks & Spencer in a few weeks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

His first season he kept us up on his own and masked Bowyer’s obvious failings.

The thousands of fans signing his name every week didn’t seem to mind.

Much of the bitterness stemmed from him being linked with moves away and ultimately leaving.

We would have been relegated under Bowyer without him.

Bowyer took over at one of the worst points in Venkys reign. He steadied the ship and had a fantastic eye for a player. Made some great signings on a lesser budget than Mowbray and was responsible for the development of several academy stars. His ability to do this has been further exemplified by his work at Blackpool who will almost certainly go down now he has left. He is level headed and a good, solid coach. Towards the end of his reign at Rovers Venkys we’re having a fire sale of his best players and I still would’ve put money on him keeping us up.

However, people in football are often judged on moments in their career and his moment was that season when having put together a wonderful team, he should 100% have got us up. He failed in his moment. It’s layman thinking to judge like this but that is football fans for you.

Rhodes in much the same, but oppositely is lauded and remembered fondly by the same fans for scoring goals. But those with a deeper football knowledge or who play the game ask...how many of his goals won games? How many were scored in vein as we lost? What else did he contribute? Could the sum of the parts been greater than the individuals? I think it’s fair to say that a lot of people in football haven’t rated Rhodes. A few have taken punts on his goals but then having seen him in training been mortified. I remember a member of one of his former clubs coaching staff referring to him as a “Sunday league footballer with Jermaine Defoe’s finishing”

Based on this it’s also no wonder that fans are split on Brereton. Ultimately, he’ll get his moment and be judged widely on it. The others will be more pragmatic and understanding

Personally, I liked Rhodes. By all accounts he was a nice guy who worked hard and ultimately he scored a lot of goals for Rovers. But I can see why he and Bowyer split opinion. I just hope most fans give Brereton some time to make his mark. 

• Like 3