BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

20 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Without giving any credence to the Nixon theory that the Chokers suddenly slaughtered millions more chickens I think there was a change of heart down the line regarding funding. We've gone from shopping in Poundland to Marks & Spencer in a few weeks. 

How do you know where we were shopping? Nobody has known our targets all summer until the last minute. Armstrong isn't Poundland and neither is Brereton. Kasey Palmer is not a 'poundland' loan - by all accounts we beat quite a few 'bigger' clubs to get him here. Davenport, Rodwell and Rothwell are all signings that have hardly cost us anything but have massive potential - I would say shrewd, not Poundland.

Just admit it, you know as much as everyone else on here and that is NOTHING about the money we have in our transfer kitty. ALl you can go off is what people at the club say and that is there has always been money to spend this summer. 

• Like 2

Just now, Ruaney said:

How do you know where we were shopping? Nobody has known our targets all summer until the last minute. Armstrong isn't Poundland and neither is Brereton. Kasey Palmer is not a 'poundland' loan - by all accounts we beat quite a few 'bigger' clubs to get him here. Davenport, Rodwell and Rothwell are all signings that have hardly cost us anything but have massive potential - I would say shrewd, not Poundland.

Just admit it, you know as much as everyone else on here and that is NOTHING about the money we have in our transfer kitty. ALl you can go off is what people at the club say and that is there has always been money to spend this summer. 

It’s a fair point you’re making and all comes back to a common rhetoric which should be followed from now on... #trustTony ???

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Anybody think There'll be any activity today? Ins or outs? 

I think it may be quiet until Friday when we may bring in another striker but that’s not based on anything.

4 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Bowyer took over at one of the worst points in Venkys reign. He steadied the ship and had a fantastic eye for a player. Made some great signings on a lesser budget than Mowbray and was responsible for the development of several academy stars. His ability to do this has been further exemplified by his work at Blackpool who will almost certainly go down now he has left. He is level headed and a good, solid coach. Towards the end of his reign at Rovers Venkys we’re having a fire sale of his best players and I still would’ve put money on him keeping us up.

However, people in football are often judged on moments in their career and his moment was that season when having put together a wonderful team, he should 100% have got us up. He failed in his moment. It’s layman thinking to judge like this but that is football fans for you.

Rhodes in much the same, but oppositely is lauded and remembered fondly by the same fans for scoring goals. But those with a deeper football knowledge or who play the game ask...how many of his goals won games? How many were scored in vein as we lost? What else did he contribute? Could the sum of the parts been greater than the individuals? I think it’s fair to say that a lot of people in football haven’t rated Rhodes. A few have taken punts on his goals but then having seen him in training been mortified. I remember a member of one of his former clubs coaching staff referring to him as a “Sunday league footballer with Jermaine Defoe’s finishing”

Based on this it’s also no wonder that fans are split on Brereton. Ultimately, he’ll get his moment and be judged widely on it. The others will be more pragmatic and understanding

Personally, I liked Rhodes. By all accounts he was a nice guy who worked hard and ultimately he scored a lot of goals for Rovers. But I can see why he and Bowyer split opinion. I just hope most fans give Brereton some time to make his mark. 

Absolutely, GB steadied the ship, used his obvious eye for a player to pick up some bargains that went on to increase in value. All of this despite the shit-show above him.

As for the on-field management side of things - this is where he was a let down. He was still learning the job though and has shown since with his stint at Blackpool that he has come on a lot in the regard. Still baffles me how he could not get a 40-goal strikeforce into the playoffs at a bare minimum. Trying to defend too many leads and draws and not giving it a right good go is what cost us.

Still, think he could go on to become a decent manager at Championship level though.

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
5 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

It’s a fair point you’re making and all comes back to a common rhetoric which should be followed from now on... #trustTony ???

I think the one thing that unites the fan base is universally trusting Tony Mowbray, to be fair.....

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

I think it may be quiet until Friday when we may bring in another striker but that’s not based on anything.

Tbh I think it will Be Friday now. I’d prefer an attacking wide midfielder with some pace and creativity releasing Armstrong from his midfield duties leaving us with three strikers for one spot. Loan Nuttall out with an option to recall and then review again in January.

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Rhodes split opinion in the fan base. But there was no split in opinion of the management team back then. They watched him everyday and were astounded by his lack of ANY ability other than to find the net. Couldn’t pass, poor control, no strength, wasn’t quick. He is a proper old fashioned 2nd striker. In the 90’s he’d have probably played in the PL. But teams and managers expect much more from strikers these days. He has been found wanting in pretty much every club since Rovers. 

His overall presence in the team was seen as a hinderence for that period of time. That you had to play with 10 men and hope that he scored to reward the team.

And he did frequently he couldn't be held accountable for the amount of poor goals conceded from set plays etc that was the managers inability to put together a decent settled back 4 and the lads in that back 4 not taking responsibility.

We paid for Bowyer’s inexperience, as he was essentially leaning his trade in the top half of the Championship.

I imagine he looks back at that period now and wishes he had trusted a cracking set of players more - who knows where it would have took us (and him).

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, tomphil said:

And he did frequently he couldn't be held accountable for the amount of poor goals conceded from set plays etc that was the managers inability to put together a decent settled back 4 and the lads in that back 4 not taking responsibility.

Yeah he did score lots of goals. But defending isn’t just about defenders. It’s about forwards and midfielders doing their job to close space and press. It’s about forwards holding the ball up to let your defence get a breather. It’s about your CF retaining possession to get you up field...that type of play is essential.

• Like 2

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Yeah he did score lots of goals. But defending isn’t just about defenders. It’s about forwards and midfielders doing their job to close space and press. It’s about forwards holding the ball up to let your defence get a breather. It’s about your CF retaining possession to get you up field...that type of play is essential.

That goes without saying as does the defenders dealing with set plays a crosses from open play all of which come at them whether there is a Rhodes in the team or not and it was a weak point. GB also played the same system whether Rhodes was in or not with two deep lying defensive mids which naturally concedes space in midfield but of course having JR in there meant long balls or balls down channels were utterly pointless. Odd that they kept trying it, Rhodes did ok for Hudds and for me at Ewood it was partly down to not having a correct partner for him.

Him and Rudy were effective but never actually gelled well but as you've admitted yourself that side that season should've done better but defensively we weren't strong enough. When Rudy was in there was an outlet upfront but it still didn't stop weak goals at the back, many from set plays.

Anyway it's done now but lets not lump it all at Rhodes door the side was good enough but the tactics and application often weren't. Not that this is any slight on the good stuff GB did i'd suggest without him AND Rhodes we'd have landed in league 1 years ago and at that particular juncture in V's reign as you mentioned we'd probably not have come back a bit like Charlton or Bradford.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nonnel40 said:

Mulgrew being linked with clubs in the Turkish top flight before Friday. A bit being made of the fact he's in the final 12 months of his contract. One to watch.

He tweeted last night to a celtic fan who asked him if he would go back there that he is looking forward to the season with Blackburn Rovers. Lets put that rumour to bed quickly 

47 minutes ago, Ruaney said:

All I could go off is our actions not our words. Talk is dirt cheap. It took us all our time to get in two bargain basement lads in Davenport and Rothwell. We were trying to bring in a replacement centre half and seemed to be struggling to meet Charlton's valuation. Maybe the Chokers have just realised the season has started again, who knows.

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

All I could go off is our actions not our words. Talk is dirt cheap. It took us all our time to get in two bargain basement lads in Davenport and Rothwell. We were trying to bring in a replacement centre half and seemed to be struggling to meet Charlton's valuation. Maybe the Chokers have just realised the season has started again, who knows.

They just sign who is available at the time mate. The valuation on Bauer was ridiculous. My feeling is that they won’t be ripped off. Which is why I’m so excited about Ben Brereton 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Hey Tyrone don't worry about it, we all get things cataclysmically wrong occasionally. I'm sure you'll be pulling me up soon enough, possibly on my spelling of cataclysmically.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Bowyer took over at one of the worst points in Venkys reign. He steadied the ship and had a fantastic eye for a player. Made some great signings on a lesser budget than Mowbray and was responsible for the development of several academy stars. His ability to do this has been further exemplified by his work at Blackpool who will almost certainly go down now he has left. He is level headed and a good, solid coach. Towards the end of his reign at Rovers Venkys we’re having a fire sale of his best players and I still would’ve put money on him keeping us up.

However, people in football are often judged on moments in their career and his moment was that season when having put together a wonderful team, he should 100% have got us up. He failed in his moment. It’s layman thinking to judge like this but that is football fans for you.

Rhodes in much the same, but oppositely is lauded and remembered fondly by the same fans for scoring goals. But those with a deeper football knowledge or who play the game ask...how many of his goals won games? How many were scored in vein as we lost? What else did he contribute? Could the sum of the parts been greater than the individuals? I think it’s fair to say that a lot of people in football haven’t rated Rhodes. A few have taken punts on his goals but then having seen him in training been mortified. I remember a member of one of his former clubs coaching staff referring to him as a “Sunday league footballer with Jermaine Defoe’s finishing”

Based on this it’s also no wonder that fans are split on Brereton. Ultimately, he’ll get his moment and be judged widely on it. The others will be more pragmatic and understanding

Personally, I liked Rhodes. By all accounts he was a nice guy who worked hard and ultimately he scored a lot of goals for Rovers. But I can see why he and Bowyer split opinion. I just hope most fans give Brereton some time to make his mark. 

A bloke I knew was on the scouting staff at City. He was tasked with evaluating Ted MacDougall. He came to a similar conclusion- one of most technically limited strikers in the Football League. He was actually allowed to watch a training session and couldn't believe how bad he was ball control wise. He  gave Ted the thumbs down - just before United splashed the cash on him.

• Like 1

With all this talk of players coming in. It's easy to forget that there might be departures on loan.

- Peter Whittingham - surely must be about to depart not even making the subs bench against Lincoln City
- Paul Caddis - must be available
- Ben Gladwin - if he can get fit before the window closes he could go out on loan
- Joe Nuttall - expect him to go out on loan although could be made less likely by Samuel's injury
- Paul Downing - could have been loaned out if we'd managed to sign a CB on loan
- Lewis Travis - with Reed coming in, would seem a loan would do him some good
- Willem Tomlinson - needs to gain 1st team competitive experience out on loan
- Sam Hart - didn't even make the squad vs Lincoln City?
- Andy Fisher - again... If he's not involved in cup games then he really should be looking for a loan move

Edited by RovingRover
  • Like 1

Check out @BBCLancsSport’s Tweet:

Hang on... So we were trying to sign other players for similar fee's aswell as Brereton??? That's how I took this. How would we able to comply with FFP if these came off? I'm worried after making one big signing never mind two or three. 

Says we're trying to sign more players too... I'm gobsmacked tbh. After Brereton, I thought that would have probably been it. 

Edited by Neal

1 minute ago, Neal said:

Check out @BBCLancsSport’s Tweet:

Hang on... So we were trying to sign other players for similar fee's aswell as Brereton??? That's how I took this. How would we able to comply with FFP if these came off? I'm worried after making one big signing never mind two or three. 

Says we're trying to sign more players too... I'm gobsmacked tbh. After Brereton, I thought that would have probably been it. 

We've got loadsa money!!!!!! 

Just now, Neal said:

Where in that quote does he say he's trying to sign more ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rigger said:

the arse has fallen out of the Turkish lira, it would be an expensive time for them to buy.  

Turkey has become an international pariah with its economy and currency tanking at a rate of knots. The country is run by an autocrat who abuses human rights and locks up anyone who opposes him. Thousands of journalists and judges / lawyers have been thrown in  jail because they dared to challenge him.  Then there iis always the terrrorist threat. No one in the right mind would go to Turkey at the moment - even on holiday or a thick as mince footballer. 

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Are you going off this? "...there's three or four deals for similar money that haven't come off for us..."

I think he's referring to the speculative deals for Waghorn, Bamford, etc.; deals that never came off during the permanent window. I can't imagine there being more £6m deals being looked at when we're supposedly getting Brereton for that in January.

I'm enjoying the way things are going with the running of the club, but let's remember that the deal to buy Brereton is 1) option-only for us (if he's garbage, breaks a leg, then maybe we decide not to buy him), and 2) not definitive; maybe Venkys turn the tap off, or don't respond to releasing the funds. I hope neither of those cases is true, but for now, this is just a loan with an option to buy, and nothing more.

I disagree, we will have to buy him regardless of form.

• Like 2