BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

13 minutes ago, Neal said:

Check out @BBCLancsSport’s Tweet:

Hang on... So we were trying to sign other players for similar fee's aswell as Brereton??? That's how I took this. How would we able to comply with FFP if these came off? I'm worried after making one big signing never mind two or three. 

Says we're trying to sign more players too... I'm gobsmacked tbh. After Brereton, I thought that would have probably been it. 

Probably sell a player, if we don't go up and if Dack has premier league interest then his sale will most likely cover the outlay made this summer

1 minute ago, OnePhilT said:

Are you going off this? "...there's three or four deals for similar money that haven't come off for us..."

I think he's referring to the speculative deals for Waghorn, Bamford, etc.; deals that never came off during the permanent window. I can't imagine there being more £6m deals being looked at when we're supposedly getting Brereton for that in January.

I'm enjoying the way things are going with the running of the club, but let's remember that the deal to buy Brereton is 1) option-only for us (if he's garbage, breaks a leg, then maybe we decide not to buy him), and 2) not definitive; maybe Venkys turn the tap off, or don't respond to releasing the funds. I hope neither of those cases is true, but for now, this is just a loan with an option to buy, and nothing more.

It's an option in word only.  LT confirmed it is an agreed fee with no backing out from either side.

2 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Turkey has become an international pariah with its economy and currency tanking at a rate of knots. The country is run by an autocrat who abuses human rights and locks up anyone who opposes him. Thousands of journalists and judges / lawyers have been thrown in  jail because they dared to challenge him.  Then there iis always the terrrorist threat. No one in the right mind would go to Turkey at the moment - even on holiday or a thick as mince footballer. 

Good time to pick up any talent from the  Turkish league though!

12 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Are you going off this? "...there's three or four deals for similar money that haven't come off for us..."

I think he's referring to the speculative deals for Waghorn, Bamford, etc.; deals that never came off during the permanent window. I can't imagine there being more £6m deals being looked at when we're supposedly getting Brereton for that in January.

I'm enjoying the way things are going with the running of the club, but let's remember that the deal to buy Brereton is 1) option-only for us (if he's garbage, breaks a leg, then maybe we decide not to buy him), and 2) not definitive; maybe Venkys turn the tap off, or don't respond to releasing the funds. I hope neither of those cases is true, but for now, this is just a loan with an option to buy, and nothing more.

Reported we had a 4 million bid in for Freeman who is a different player to Brererton so presumably we still have that in the kitty.

There will be no backing out of the Brereton deal you only have to listen to both the players and managers interviews they are talking long term

7 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Surely there is no obligation to buy if it's an option only. This is different to a legally binding agreement, isn't it? They would have worded it as a loan with a definite permanent buy in January, I would have thought.

No, the deal is binding. Rich Sharpe has confirmed that we can't opt out of the deal in January. 

22 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Aye but Freeman was a different type of player all together... I took it as if we were trying to sign a few for decent fee's. 

4 minutes ago, Neal said:

Aye but Freeman was a different type of player all together... I took it as if we were trying to sign a few for decent fee's. 

I got that Impression.  If we bid for 2 players (allegedly) on deadline day, in different positions, you would have to assume that we had the funds for both if they had been accepted.  Then there was the American lad...

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller

29 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Turkey has become an international pariah with its economy and currency tanking at a rate of knots. The country is run by an autocrat who abuses human rights and locks up anyone who opposes him. Thousands of journalists and judges / lawyers have been thrown in  jail because they dared to challenge him.  Then there iis always the terrrorist threat. No one in the right mind would go to Turkey at the moment - even on holiday or a thick as mince footballer. 

Well shit I'm flying out sept 16th me the misses and the mother haha

36 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Nonsense, Turkey is a fantastic destination, the UK is more likely to be the subject of terrorism. Tourist numbers have risen around 60% this year for turkey with some holiday companies (around 2.5 million in total), so you are labelling a lot of people thick, pal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Bowyer took over at one of the worst points in Venkys reign. He steadied the ship and had a fantastic eye for a player. Made some great signings on a lesser budget than Mowbray and was responsible for the development of several academy stars. His ability to do this has been further exemplified by his work at Blackpool who will almost certainly go down now he has left. He is level headed and a good, solid coach. Towards the end of his reign at Rovers Venkys we’re having a fire sale of his best players and I still would’ve put money on him keeping us up.

However, people in football are often judged on moments in their career and his moment was that season when having put together a wonderful team, he should 100% have got us up. He failed in his moment. It’s layman thinking to judge like this but that is football fans for you.

Rhodes in much the same, but oppositely is lauded and remembered fondly by the same fans for scoring goals. But those with a deeper football knowledge or who play the game ask...how many of his goals won games? How many were scored in vein as we lost? What else did he contribute? Could the sum of the parts been greater than the individuals? I think it’s fair to say that a lot of people in football haven’t rated Rhodes. A few have taken punts on his goals but then having seen him in training been mortified. I remember a member of one of his former clubs coaching staff referring to him as a “Sunday league footballer with Jermaine Defoe’s finishing”

Based on this it’s also no wonder that fans are split on Brereton. Ultimately, he’ll get his moment and be judged widely on it. The others will be more pragmatic and understanding

Personally, I liked Rhodes. By all accounts he was a nice guy who worked hard and ultimately he scored a lot of goals for Rovers. But I can see why he and Bowyer split opinion. I just hope most fans give Brereton some time to make his mark. 

Is it not incredibly arrogant to use the line "those with a deeper football knowledge or who play the game?"

Your line about his goals winning games/points is baffling. He was hardly scoring the 4th in 4-0 wins, we was a team outside the play offs therefore our games were rarely seperated by more than a goal. To suggest hes a flat track bully scoring goals in games wed already won to get his goal tally up is nonsensical.

Not convinced by all your quotes regarding the opinions of coaching staff etc. How do you know these? Who said the line about Defoe? As much as his all round game aside from his goals wasnt brilliant, it is also being done a disservice to suggest that it was non-league standard.

Back to the point, if Brereton is as successful and prolific consistently as Rhodes was. Weve got a hell of a signing on our hands.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

All I could go off is our actions not our words. Talk is dirt cheap. It took us all our time to get in two bargain basement lads in Davenport and Rothwell. We were trying to bring in a replacement centre half and seemed to be struggling to meet Charlton's valuation. Maybe the Chokers have just realised the season has started again, who knows.

You weren’t going off actions though, you were going off outcomes and then negatively inferring actions, resources and motivations which all contradicted what the manager was saying, and all turned out to be incorrect. Words are cheap but groundless cynicism is cheaper.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AAK said:

Nonsense, Turkey is a fantastic destination, the UK is more likely to be the subject of terrorism. Tourist numbers have risen around 60% this year for turkey with some holiday companies (around 2.5 million in total), so you are labelling a lot of people thick, pal.

I like Turkey - had many happy holidays there (love the food). But I wouldn't go again while Erdogan is in power. 

Pretty sure I just saw Caddis walking out of Costa in Lytham (hobbling slightly - not used to 90 minutes obviously!).

I cant confirm or deny if it was a ‘skinny’ latte in his hand, but it’s funny he just looked a normal, relatively slim 30 year old bloke - just shows what condition most professional footballers are in, in comparison!

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

You weren’t going off actions though, you were going off outcomes and then negatively inferring actions, resources and motivations which all contradicted what the manager was saying, and all turned out to be incorrect. Words are cheap but groundless cynicism is cheaper.

Going off outcomes before promises has served me well in life. In football terms the last eight years or so as made me very cynical about goings on at Rovers, I wonder why ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Pretty sure I just saw Caddis walking out of Costa in Lytham (hobbling slightly - not used to 90 minutes obviously!).

I cant confirm or deny if it was a ‘skinny’ latte in his hand, but it’s funny he just looked a normal, relatively slim 30 year old bloke - just shows what condition most professional footballers are in, in comparison!

Photoshop.

• Like 3

I'm as excited as the next man about the surprise largesse of our poultry overloads but I'm a little concerned about our bloated squad and associated wage bill. We seem to be at the whim of  the Rao business ventures and their fluctuating fortunes so what if the arse falls out of the Indian chicken stock market?. The league looks very dimly on clubs that don't pay wages or honour contracts. 

3 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Can we keep it on topic lads/lasses? Thanks....

May as well close this thread now. We've no more money to spend anyway.

Oh and if I get that wrong then I'll just blame it on the last 8 years not the fact I'm talking out of my arse.

• Like 5